• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ranger X said:
Curiosity, why do you want to see the sides of your car when playing third person?

Because it breaks "immersion?" Having front and back but no side views for third person is really bizarre. Nearly every other racer does it.

turnbuckle said:
Are you in the same building when you play it via slingbox? If there was a way to control my ps3 remotely while using my slingbox to monitor the game when I'm at work that'd be amazing. Well, less amazing now that I'm grinding endurance races but still pretty awesome nonetheless.

Also, I would love an X1 when you exhaust the rest of your list. If it comes down to car trivia I'll be at the back of the line though :lol

No I do full remote control from anywhere. I have the Logitech PS3 Adapter and got some custom remote codes for slingbox so my slingbox IR blaster gets picked up by the Logitech adapter and converts the slingbox remote commands to PS3 commands.

Error1355 said:
I can't answer for him, but I'd always move the camera around in Forza during the straights.
Since PGR2 I do this also, not all the time but I like to adjust the camera a little bit or at least admire the car when it's going 190mhp down the straight on the nurb.

cilonen

Mechanical Snowman said:
What's the nicest car to drive, in your opinion? Not for pure power - for speed, comfort and handling. I probably spend about 20 minutes a day browsing the dealership but I can't decide on what to buy, any recommendations?

Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makkinen Edition '99

It's the best Evo they ever made, it doesn't handle as if it's on rails, more otherworldly than that, you can go into a corner thinking 'well, I'm just being silly now' and somehow it grips and turns in without either that horrible understeer feeling, or 'where's my driveshaft gone' heavy handed traction control. I can't quite describe it, it's not as 'floaty' as the later Evos, it's just stunning.

Edit: if money's no object then Peugeot 908 HDI FAP

DonMigs85

My souped-up Racing Modded Dodge Challenger isn't enough for my B-Spec driver to beat the Historic series. Best I could manage was 3rd place for both Deep Forest and Cote. Any suggestions? I've already lowered the suspension a lot as well and kept max speed at 155 MPH for Cote.

turnbuckle

DonMigs85 said:
My souped-up Racing Modded Dodge Challenger isn't enough for my B-Spec driver to beat the Historic series. Best I could manage was 3rd place for both Deep Forest and Cote. Any suggestions? I've already lowered the suspension a lot as well and kept max speed at 155 MPH for Cote.

My level 31 driver hasn't been able to do better than 6th place in Cote while using an upgraded Toyota 7. I didn't have any luck with with the RM Challenger either. I was able to get first by a relatively slim margin in Deep Forest, but that was with my driver far over-leveled for the event.

Dunno if I'll ever get past Cote. My driver likes to hit the wall and spin around in that one.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
KennyLinder said:
"Seasonal" NASCAR Nurburgring event - Gold!

1st attempt: Stock settings, 9th
2nd attempt: Adjusted top speed (210mph max), Maximum downforce, crashed before final straight, 2nd
3rd attempt: Didn't crash, 1st!

That's all of the Seasonal Events done for me now, they were awesome and much more challenging this time. I think my favourite was the RX7 event as the car was so dreamy to drive, followed by the NASCAR which was like trying to survive a tornado attack. NASCARs and the Nurburgring both want to kill you and your family and coupled together they form an insane challenge!

Wait a fucking second, weren't the previous seasonal events (the Dodge one, the Fiat 500 and the Mazda iirc) supposed to stay there until the 6th of January or whatever? I bought all the cars needed, I'm gonna be super pissed if the events are gone already >_<

Error1355

Dash Kappei said:
Wait a fucking second, weren't the previous seasonal events (the Dodge one, the Fiat 500 and the Mazda iirc) supposed to stay there until the 6th of January or whatever? I bought all the cars needed, I'm gonna be super pissed if the events are gone already >_<

It was still there earlier this morning. They have both seasonal events running at the same time.

turnbuckle said:
My level 31 driver hasn't been able to do better than 6th place in Cote while using an upgraded Toyota 7. I didn't have any luck with with the RM Challenger either. I was able to get first by a relatively slim margin in Deep Forest, but that was with my driver far over-leveled for the event.

Dunno if I'll ever get past Cote. My driver likes to hit the wall and spin around in that one.

Use this setup for your Toyota 7. Just used it earlier with my lvl29 driver and he destroyed them.

With the following setup (from GTP):

Downforce: F:60 R:85
Turbo: Mid RPM Range Turbo Kit (Stage 2)
LSD: IT=30 , AS= 55 , BS=30
Transmission: 224mph top speed
Suspension:
Ride height= -30/-30
Spring Rate= 20/20
Dampers ext and comp both= 10/10/
Anti Roll Bars= 7/7
Camber: F= 7.0, R= 0.0
Toe: F= -0.10 / R= 0.15
Brakes: F=9 / R=8

witness

Well I turned my S15 into a RM. I decided to try that for the GT Championship and while I can compete I just can't keep up, ending up around the middle. I do not have all 3 engine upgrade kits yet. Is this supposed to be crazy hard? Tell me I'm not wasting money upgrading this car to the max.

Dead Man

gutterboy44 said:
Nice quality vid, what did you use to capture?

I A-speced to level 30 then got all golds on the X1 events which gave me three of them. However, I am doing the dupe for gifting these babies. No way am I loosing one of them.

I do B-Spec via my slingbox so I can remote play from my phone. It is a little clunky but it gets the job done.
You throw that out like it was some piddling little thing. That's awfully impressive man.

Let's do it GAF. A bit drunk but ready for some online racing.

1472-4711-0510-9355-2831
502hp max
1000kg min
No assists but TC (for you DS3 folks)
Sport Soft Tires

Lets do it.

Will start with Cape Ring Perp. to warm up.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Does anyone have a classic car they can give me so I can complete this Classic Car series in Expert? I bought a Shelby 427 Cobra and with 800HP that thing is absolutely impossible to keep straight no matter what you do. What a waste of 700K credits. That God awful Chaparral 2J Race Car obliterates me by miles, best I can do is Silver.

My PSN is ArnoldK

If anyone has a super quick classic car they can send me (preferably the Chaparral), that'd be fantastic.

jockamo said:
Okay lets do that. :)

On a side note, I don't know why I'm not getting the bonus paint chips when I log on. Just museum cards.

Alright I'll add you and gift it to you tomorrow.

Can you send it to me and I'll dupe it to error?

DonMigs85

AlphaSnake said:
Does anyone have a classic car they can give me so I can complete this Classic Car series in Expert? I bought a Shelby 427 Cobra and with 800HP that thing is absolutely impossible to keep straight no matter what you do. What a waste of 700K credits. That God awful Chaparral 2J Race Car obliterates me by miles, best I can do is Silver.

My PSN is ArnoldK

If anyone has a super quick classic car they can send me (preferably the Chaparral), that'd be fantastic.
Can I borrow the Chaparral when you're done for my B-Spec driver?
I was able to beat A-Spec with my RM Dodge Challenger.

What would "no assists" constitute?

Everything turned off, including breaking, TC, and grip? And when I mean off, I mean zero.

Is it ever possible to use the DS3 and succeed like that?

CartridgeBlower said:
What would "no assists" constitute?

Everything turned off, including breaking, TC, and grip? And when I mean off, I mean zero.

Is it ever possible to use the DS3 and succeed like that?

ABS and TC allowed, all else off. Edit: driving line on by request. (PS, you should turn this off asap, it is a crutch and preventing you from learning courses.)

Damage light

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Does anybody have a facebook Jaguar XJ13 code to spare? I, shocker I know, don't have a facebok profile anymore but I'd love the car... so maybe someone US gaffer will be kind enough since you guys have no use for that code (works only for EU), you know what to do :p
I can offer a Dead Rising 2 x360 avatar code in return :lol

ShortBus

gutterboy44 said:
Let's do it GAF. A bit drunk but ready for some online racing.

1472-4711-0510-9355-2831
502hp max
1000kg min
No assists but TC (for you DS3 folks)
Sport Soft Tires

Lets do it.

Will start with Cape Ring Perp. to warm up.

Damn,i'm tempted...

dwebo

I had some sort of slight moral opposition to the birthday glitch and duping before, and then I reached 20 million and realized I would need to do it again twice over to buy all the expensive premiums I still wanted. (Mark IV 20m + Miura 15m + 3 LMPs 15m + GT Ford GT 3m + misc)

Yeah... fuck that. What a terrible grind. :lol

darkwing

dwebo said:
I had some sort of slight moral opposition to the birthday glitch and duping before, and then I reached 20 million and realized I would need to do it again twice over to buy all the expensive premiums I still wanted. (Mark IV 20m + Miura 15m + 3 LMPs 15m + GT Ford GT 3m + misc)

Yeah... fuck that. What a terrible grind. :lol

you will have gazillions if you want to reach lvl40 lol

CartridgeBlower said:
So racing line is definitely a crutch? I just got the game, should I maybe keep it on for a couple days to learn the turns, or turn it off right away?

Turn it off right away. I'm not saying that out of bravado or being 'hardcore', it just hinders your learning from the outset.

expy

Banned
gutterboy44 said:
Ok, here is my X1 Suzuka Gold replay. Not the prettiest, but should give you an idea of what you need to do.

Download here
Thanks! I'll check it out after I clean up my Heavy Rain Platinum. :lol

turnbuckle

gutterboy44 said:
Use this setup for your Toyota 7. Just used it earlier with my lvl29 driver and he destroyed them.

With the following setup (from GTP):

Downforce: F:60 R:85
Turbo: Mid RPM Range Turbo Kit (Stage 2)
LSD: IT=30 , AS= 55 , BS=30
Transmission: 224mph top speed
Suspension:
Ride height= -30/-30
Spring Rate= 20/20
Dampers ext and comp both= 10/10/
Anti Roll Bars= 7/7
Camber: F= 7.0, R= 0.0
Toe: F= -0.10 / R= 0.15
Brakes: F=9 / R=8

Thanks, I'll give it a go and see what happens.

---

Damn, lvl 33 and my guy is in 9th place through 7/8 laps.
I'll hand the keys to a few of my lower leveled racers. Maybe my guy is just too good for this car/course.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
THE FORMULA GT IS MINEEEEEEEEEEEE

i want to do the dupe gift so i have 5m to spare insread of being broke, but i also kinda dont want to cheat since i hate cheating..... guess ill get it the legit way.

darkwing

CartridgeBlower said:
So racing line is definitely a crutch? I just got the game, should I maybe keep it on for a couple days to learn the turns, or turn it off right away?

turn it off, makes you slower in license tests as i found out

brentech

I haven't started my first a-spec endurance yet, but 37 laps into the first available of B-Spec...I can see this is going to be a real time sink. Have a feeling doing it myself will be even more painful, hopefully it's moderately enjoyable, but who am I kidding. fuck.

I didn't look through all the race types, but at least the early ones I can use my stealth SLS or chromline cars so any wear on them is repaired for a mere 500 CR. Thank lordy...considering you only get 56k for this first event. like wtf.

darkwing

brentech said:
I haven't started my first a-spec endurance yet, but 37 laps into the first available of B-Spec...I can see this is going to be a real time sink. Have a feeling doing it myself will be even more painful, hopefully it's moderately enjoyable, but who am I kidding. fuck.

I didn't look through all the race types, but at least the early ones I can use my stealth SLS or chromline cars so any wear on them is repaired for a mere 500 CR. Thank lordy...considering you only get 56k for this first event. like wtf.

been doing more B-Spec atm, gots tons of Cr this way too, Dream Car series earns you 1M

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Turn it off right away. I'm not saying that out of bravado or being 'hardcore', it just hinders your learning from the outset.

Werd to this. Not huge on racing sims for the most part but even I could tell that thing was fucking me up. Plus the game looks so much better without that ugly line.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Got a DFGT today and I suck with it... Started I-A license tests and have bronzed everything so far. Previous ones have been like 80% silvers, 10% golds, 10% bronzes. :(

My rickety old dinner tray sucks with it too.

seeds19

Banned
gutterboy44 said:
You using a wheel?

No, dualshock 3 only :(, seriously this challenge makes my life a pain, only a superman can beat the challenge in bronze with a pad, only a god can beat the challenge in gold :lol

pH52b.jpg

:D

What are the gold times/regs for the Vettel Challenge?

Thrakier said:
Maybe I am. I won Like the wind now. Learned that I should barely touch the brakes and brake like ABS instead of holding the brake. Was kinda hard, but it worked...

You should have ABS set to 1 if you haven't. The game if unplayable for me if I switch it off. I blame PD for it, not myself.

Shaneus

AlphaSnake said:

My PSN is ArnoldK

I can't remember where it was, but there was a B-spec race (in Expert, I think) that had a Toyota-7 as a prize. That'll do you nicely for the A-spec Legends cup :)

Goldrusher

Wax Free Vanilla said:
Is that the prototype ? Mind sending me one ? I'll send you the Bentley Speed 8 for it.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
What are the gold times/regs for the Vettel Challenge?
Nürburgring GP/F
2:08.000 / 2:09.500 / 2:14.500

Monza
2:04.000 / 2:05.500 / 2:10.500

Suzuka
2:10.000 / 2:11.500 / 2:16.500

Two laps, including the outlap (starting from the pits).

Angst

Goldrusher said:
Is that the prototype or one from the dealership ? Mind sending me one ? I'll send you the Bentley Speed 8 for it.

Nürburgring GP/F
2:08.000 / 2:09.500 / 2:14.500

Monza
2:04.000 / 2:05.500 / 2:10.500

Suzuka

Wow those times sounds really easy! I can do all of them faster in my ZR1 RM.

Fake Edit - 2 laps??!! Holy crap!

Goldrusher said:
Suzuka

got a 2:08.756 in time trial mode 2 lap run

fastest lap being a 1:04.386

the challenge should be a breeze to gold when i unlock it.

avaya

Wax Free Vanilla said:
got a 2:08.756 in time trial mode 2 lap run

fastest lap being a 1:04.386

the challenge should be a breeze to gold when i unlock it.

you start from the pits, it's one out lap and one flying lap.

avaya

Wax Free Vanilla said:
so what are the pit lap and 2nd lap times needed for gold (suzuka only)

Your times are fast enough I believe. I back you to gold, your old F2007 times at Suzuka say indicate you'll do it easy.

Goldrusher said:
Is that the prototype ? Mind sending me one ? I'll send you the Bentley Speed 8 for it.

Yes it is. I got it from golding the X1 challenges. I sent Wax one last night because he jumped on the first give away and asked nicely.

I am up for that trade for the Bentley if you want tonight?

ShortBus said:
Thanks for the races,gutterboy44.

Yeah, solid racing man. I need to start a room when I am not already shit faced. I will add you on PSN if you free up a friend slot. I think it said you were full. My buddy and I are going to do some GT5 LAN this weekend so I will be putting rooms up often.

PS If someone gifts you something, not trade, a thank you paint chip or something is a nice gesture

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
confuziz said:
fuck the ford focus st seasonal, seriously fuck it.

last corner.. 3 secs behind and the damn brakes just..

sdoisdfajiodf
I almost had second, but frankly, I'm not great at this game so I was surprised I came out in 3rd. I have an '06 Focus (different model obviously) so this seasonal was the perfect opportunity to pick one up in the game. :D

The Charger seasonal is far harder. Absolutely brutal. I came in in 10th and I was cheating all over Laguna Seca. :lol

A note for those concerned about when to engine rebuild:

I've put my Formula GT through 7,599 miles and it has dropped 6 bhp off its maximum. Take that for what it's worth.

Top Bottom