• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I really don't like grinding/waiting for cars to show up. Anyone feeling generous enough to gift a poor soul like me an Enzo Ferrari 02 or a VW Lupo for that stupid race?

My PSN name is the same as my gaf username

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I just spent 2 and a half hours playing this and made almost 0 progress. About to just go back to the dualshock because the wheel is impossible for me. Spinning out on some random corner makes me want to kill myself. I need a rewind button. Also I can't do 75% of my open events because I can't find a car that works for them. Argh.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Two hours and thirty minutes isn't enough time to adjust to a wheel. Go play in Arcade mode and do time trials there to adjust to it slowly.

Or give me your wheel for free. I wouldn't complain. >:|

Sorry for the delay, had to sort out dinner.

Ok, without further ado.

Question 1:

About the time you were playing Gran Turismo 2, Mika Hakkinen was pulling off one of the most famous passes on Michael Schumacher during the Belgium GP. Caught in the middle of this amazing maneuver was another F1 driver. Please name the driver in the middle of the famous Finn-German sandwich.

Winner: Avaya Congrats!

I will PM you with details

avaya

gutterboy44 said:

Ok, without further ado.

Question 1:

About the time you were playing Gran Turismo 2, Mika Hakkinen was pulling of one of the most famous passes on Michael Schumacher during the Belgium GP. Caught in the middle of this amazing maneuver was another F1 driver. Please name the driver in the middle of the famous Finn-German sandwich.

Ricardo Zonta

kikanny

gutterboy44 said:

Ok, without further ado.

Question 1:

About the time you were playing Gran Turismo 2, Mika Hakkinen was pulling off one of the most famous passes on Michael Schumacher during the Belgium GP. Caught in the middle of this amazing maneuver was another F1 driver. Please name the driver in the middle of the famous Finn-German sandwich.
Zonta

Question 2 (the last one for tonight):

Gran Turismo introduced most of the world to the infamous Nurburgring Nordscliefe in GT4. As many of us began to learn the 140+ corners of the track, Sabine Schmitz was busy throwing down a challenge to Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson. Upon finishing a lap of The Ring in just under 10 minutes in a Jaguar Diesel, Sabine quipped, "I could do that in a van" Sure enough Top Gear held her to her word and she attempted to beat the 10 minute lap in a Ford Transit Van. Unfortunately she was unable to overcome the limitations of the 136hp Transit Van. Please post the exact times (format 00:00.00) of her attempts around The Ring in the Ford Transit Van.

edit hint: She made two attempts

Good Luck!

Winner: Deadman Well done!

avaya said:
That is a tough one, people furiously looking on youtube...

Yeah I wanted a range. One that was quick, and one that was a little Google proof. Also, a good excuse to re watch that episode. It is a good one.

kikanny

gutterboy44 said:

Gran Turismo introduced most of the world to the infamous Nurburgring Nordscliefe in GT4. As many of us began to learn the 140+ corners of the track, Sabine Schmitz was busy throwing down a challenge to Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson. Upon finishing a lap of The Ring in just under 10 minutes in a Jaguar Diesel, Sabine quipped, "I could do that in a van" Sure enough Top Gear held her to her word and she attempted to beat the 10 minute lap in a Ford Transit Van. Unfortunately she was unable to overcome the limitations of the 136hp Transit Van. Please post the exact times (format 00:00.00) of her attempts around The Ring in the Ford Transit Van.

Good Luck!
10:08.49

TheSeks

gutterboy44 said:

Good Luck!

9 mins 59 seconds 45 milliseconds

gutterboy44 said:
Yeah I wanted a range. One that was quick, and one that was a little Google proof. Also, a good excuse to re watch that episode. It is a good one.

The best time was 10:08.49 and she had to strip weight out of the truck and slipstream a viper :lol :lol

DonMigs85

gutterboy44 said:

Good Luck!
Noo all I know is that it was 10:08.49

TheSeks

Oh, wait. I read the question wrong. Fuck.

Yeah, the other dude got it.

Don't worry, this was just the maiden run. I will try to make another tier of difficulty with the trivia and give away more than two cars a night. Just getting all my accounts in order to make sure I have a "gifting network" Thanks all for playing, sorry again for the delay. I will be more punctual in the coming events.

Deadman said:
Yay! Can i pm you my psn tomorrow as i dont actually know it :lol ill have to check in the morning:D

I sent you a PM, reply to it when you can.

brentech

gutterboy44 said:
Fuuuuuuuuuu B-Spec FGT Championship is so fucking boring.
Yeah, did that a few days ago and it felt like it was never going to end. Now my drivers are in the 4 hours roadster enduro. At least I can just walk away.
The Formula GT I at least had to monitor so they didn't fuck it up.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Anybody have suspension settings for the Veyron? I can't tweak the damn thing well enough to handle great - it understeers way too much.

Shaneus

AlphaSnake said:
Anybody have suspension settings for the Veyron? I can't tweak the damn thing well enough to handle great - it understeers way too much.
Your best option is probably to tweak the brake bias... I've found that compensates for over/understeer quite nicely on other cars. Not sure about the Veyron, though.

Grayman

And what favourite cars would he love to try out on the challenging circuit given the chance? Unsurprisingly, it’s a stable of high-performance rockets that he’d certainly push pretty hard up the mountain: Ferrari F40, the Ferrari 599XX and the Porsche Carrera GT.

its just not fair :(

-Amon-

AlphaSnake said:

One little advice about setups that may come in handy.

Working on the setup does not trasform the character and handling of a car in something else.

You can tweak but you cannot change the handling traits.

So first adapt to the car and learn to drive it and make something out of it, and only after work on the setup.

If you work on the setup of a car thinking you can totally change the way it drives you're only going to lose lot's of time without great results.

The lack of practice and/or qualification within a championship really causes problems at times. I fucked up an otherwise perfect run on Dream Car Championship last night because there was rain on the last track (Nurburgring 24hr) and I chose the wrong tyres. I should have gone Intermediate, but instead I chose Rain (you can see the rain coming down on the pre-race screen so one would assume..). Anyway, I struggled lots as my Toyota Minolta tried to stick to the track and I came in 5th. I then retried after finishing the Championship and it was raining harder now, chose Rain tyres once again but they were perfect this time of course, won easily (as I did in every other event in Dream Car, the typical cars were nowhere to be seen really).

So this highlights a couple of issues for GT:
1 - Lack of practice or qualification within a event to try out a setup
2 - Not introducing weather until right at the end of the game

The lack of weather early on baffles me, why not have the odd race as early as Cludman Cup with some weather in? This way the player would get used to tyre selection and not making frustrating mistakes when the game gets more challenging (and annoying if you mess up).

I know I made the mistake and chose the wrong tyres, but if I could have either tested them briefly or had seen rain before in GT5 I wouldn't have made the mistake.

Still love you though, you inconsistent masterpiece.

Top Bottom