• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

razu

KennyLinder said:
I chose the wrong tyres. I should have gone Intermediate, but instead I chose Rain

I got to that race and I was in third place after the first lap, the AI cars then all decided to pit in for some reason and I won with a bit of seat of the pants driving and, ahem, blocking :)

Choosing tyres didn't enter my mind, I thought it picked the correct rain tyres for you...!

anddo0

Are there any plans in the works for a "speed up race" option for B-spec mode?

I don't know how PD could leave that out of the game. If can be done in GT4 surely it's possible in GT5. Patch it in already.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Patrick Bateman said:
Both are pretty impressive. I love Sabine Schmitz' comments. She seems to be totally into it. :lol

That's because she is totally into it. It's an interesting challenge for a German that runs the 'ring near monthly? :lol

avaya

anddo0 said:

None. Kaz is completely batshit over this, he believes you need to sit through hours of mind numbing boredom.

Grayman

anddo0 said:

I don't know how PD could leave that out of the game. If can be done in GT4 surely it's possible in GT5. Patch it in already.
there are lots of things that can and should have been done but weren't. Polyphony hates everyone or is oblivious.

spats

WanderingWind said:
This is my first GT game, ever. Am I supposed to suck so hard at this? :lol

Have you tried the license tests yet? All of the tests have great tips in them and an example replay that gives you an idea of where to take the line and how to control the throttle.

if you're using a pad, abandon the default settings for your own peace of mind. Throttle and brake should be R2 and L2, you cant have acceptable throttle control with the bloody x button.

Grayman

theignoramus said:
if you're using a pad, abandon the default settings for your own peace of mind. Throttle and brake should be R2 and L2, you cant have acceptable throttle control with the bloody x button.
i managed fine in GT3/TT and anytime i didn't have a wheel plugged into HD/5p.

avaya

Goldrusher said:

Really?

theignoramus said:

Yes you can. Easy. Then again whenever I use the DS3 I use the d-pad and face buttons only with R1 and L1 for gears.

djkimothy

WanderingWind said:

One thing I notice with beginners is that they treat it like Mario Kart. You have to regulate speed by releasing the throttle and actually braking! This is especially true for the more powerful cars. Once you learn how to steer with the throttle and think about driving lines you know you're finally "good" at the game and can go on to tweaking stuff. I'm still learning that stuff like spring compression so just be patient with it.

I recommend trying to get all gold in the license test. Even if you get all silver consider it an accomplishment since silver usually means an aggressive approach to the challenges. I learned the most from driving by doing the license tests of GT past.

Finally finished the RX-7 and Nascar N-ring challenge. There were times where i'd want to throw my wheel at the tv. But when I finally got the win (i knew eventually I would) it felt so good. It's also rewarding to know I have a nicely tuned rx-7 that's not over powered. I saved my replay of the Nascar challenge only because it was so epic.

zoukka

avaya said:
Drive it like you would a real car. That is the best advice that you could give anyone.

Not really.

Good tip is to not accelerate and brake "on/off" style. Brake into corners and as soon as you can hit the gas to come out of it. Again, don't step on the brake last minute with full weight.

avaya

zoukka said:
Not really.

Most people who suck at this attempt to take corners while accelerating and braking. That is a technique that works in arcade racers. If you want to really succeed at the game you have to approach it like you would drive a real car (with game assists off since they only slow you down except SRF and ABS)

zoukka

avaya said:
Most people who suck at this attempt to take corners while accelerating and braking. That is a technique that works in arcade racers. If you want to really succeed at the game you have to approach it like you would drive a real car (with game assists off since they only slow you down except SRF and ABS)

Well into a certain point, but GT5 doesn't actually simulate "real cars", it's close enough for the immersion, but the same tactics don't work irl and in this game at all.

avaya

zoukka said:
Well into a certain point, but GT5 doesn't actually simulate "real cars", it's close enough for the immersion, but the same tactics don't work irl and in this game at all.

Yes I didn't mean exactly! That much is obvious

zoukka

avaya said:
Yes I didn't mean exactly! That much is obvious

Yeah if you remember to use all the length in braking and accelerating, you'll be quite fine. Losing grip in corners can be quite tricky in GT. I haven't mastered it yet and my only "drifting vehicle" is so hard to use :lol

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Too many replies to quote em all, but yeah. I have one of the Logitech wheels, and getting that adjusted was the first step. It only took one race for me to remember to play this like Forza, rather than NFS, but my car still sucks enormously. I'm at the second race available to newbs and while I can position myself in the front due to good driving skills, my car is beat on the straight away at the end every time. I've upgraded all I can, but I think I may need to grind for a better car.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
WanderingWind said:

"Drive like you would a real car" is probably the best advice someone can give. Sure, it's not a 1:1 analog to a real car, but it will give you a basic idea. You don't need to do the license tests (thankfully, they're too arbitary and strict, IMO to let players learn as they go), so just go into practice tracks or dive into GT Life and learn as you go. Try not to ram to the AI, but eventually you'll probably go "fuck it *ram ram ram and lap*" toward those. The online races and "honor" is probably where you'd start to really learn to race.

WanderingWind said:
Too many replies to quote em all, but yeah. I have one of the Logitech wheels, and getting that adjusted was the first step. It only took one race for me to remember to play this like Forza, rather than NFS, but my car still sucks enormously. I'm at the second race available to newbs and while I can position myself in the front due to good driving skills, my car is beat on the straight away at the end every time. I've upgraded all I can, but I think I may need to grind for a better car.
If you havnt done the special events, do them. Lots of credits and experience and some of them are really quick and easy, like the first stages of AMG driving school, NASCAR and Go-Karts

avaya said:
Really?

Yes you can. Easy. Then again whenever I use the DS3 I use the d-pad and face buttons only with R1 and L1 for gears.
and that is the path to reduced sanity, especially for anyone used to the triggers on the 360 pad.

brentech

Started my first A-Spec endurance. Have had the level to do so for a bit, but just didn't bother.
While I'd played around with turning off the HUD before, there are certain aspects I like to see like lap times. I'm not sure if the numbers are just too small, but I also can't tell how much fuel I have in my Stealth SLS. If it wasn't for that...I wouldn't go between turning it off/on.

Other than that, no HUD is so tranquil and relaxing when in an endurance where you just don't even want to see the lap count. It's really quite beautiful. I'm wondering if zooming my cockpit will make the numbers show better...
edit: lol, what the hell. zoomed in all the way, can read all the numbers and see that it's reporting a few temperature levels, but there is no fuel guage on this car. Madness.

-viper-

Banned
The paint system in the game sucks.

I like the idea of collecting paints.

I hate the idea of the limits placed upon the paints. I want to use my matte black for almost everything! Yet I can only use it once :\

offshore

brentech said:
I'm wondering if zooming my cockpit will make the numbers show better...
It's a real shame to see all the dashboards go to waste when you can't really see what they're displaying on most of them. The only thing they're good for is when they illuminate at night...which is extremely cool.

Maybe premium cars' dashboard could be placed at the bottom of the screen when not in cockpit view to act as the HUD instruments, rather than the standard GT one.

-viper-

Banned
offshore said:
It's a real shame to see all the dashboards go to waste when you can't really see what they're displaying on most of them. The only thing they're good for is when they illuminate at night...which is extremely cool.

Maybe premium cars' dashboard could be placed at the bottom of the screen when not in cockpit view to act as the HUD instruments, rather than the standard GT one.
It depends. Some cars have really clear dashboards. Others, not so much. I think the filtering in this game is making the dashboards softer than Prologue. They seemed to appear shaper in that game.

h3ro

I've been on a Matte painting binge.

Anyone have a Matte Orange/Red/Blue (or any other matte paint, honestly) they would like to trade? I have a Matte Black and Pink available. :)

Does anyone have a car I could borrow for these three events in Expert Series.

Historic Racing Car Cup
Gallardo Trophy
Gran Turismo All Stars

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

I will gift the cars back ASAP. I will be on GT5 all day today.

My PSN name is

MyName1sMud

I might not be on the computer much today so please shoot me a friend request on PSN And let me know who you are And What car you will let me borrow so I can be sure to return the car to its rightful owner.

h3ro said:
I've been on a Matte painting binge.

Anyone have a Matte Orange/Red/Blue (or any other matte paint, honestly) they would like to trade? I have a Matte Black and Pink available. :)

I have light red matte paint you can have.

psn: captscience

WTF, the Enzo's downforce is modeled so god damn poorly in this game. I have been comparing the Mclaren F1 94' v. the Enzo around the Ring to decide which one I want to use for the 4 hour enduro, such bullshit. Say what you want about the nimbleness of the Mclaren but the Enzo has it beat hands down for the advancements in downforce. The front splitter and rear diffuser are 8 years ahead in tech and generate far more downforce. The Enzo actually has fucking front end lift! The faster you go the more the front end lifts and you get retarded high speed understeer. I have tried to dial this out to no avail.

My theory is that the GT team modeled the Enzo's ride height and suspension dynamics when it was in the "front lifted" mode where you hit a button to raise the front of the Enzo for speed bumps, garages, etc. It is the only thing I can think of in terms of how awful the front end grip is modeled in this car. So fucking annoying.

avaya

gutterboy44 said:
My theory is that the GT team modeled the Enzo's ride height and suspension dynamics when it was in the "front lifted" mode where you hit a button to raise the front of the Enzo for speed bumps, garages, etc. It is the only thing I can think of in terms of how awful the front end grip is modeled in this car. So fucking annoying.

They can't have been that incompetent surely? Looks at b-spec, sorry, I take that back.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
So I just started and everything was going well last night but now my controller isn't working properly. I can no longer use the D-Pad or the X and Square buttons while racing but they work within the menus. I've tried 2 different controllers on two different PS3's, I've reset both controllers and did everything possible.

avaya said:
They can't have been that incompetent surely? Looks at b-spec, sorry, I take that back.

Yeah I don't get it. Maybe the Enzo they had access to was not allowed to be driven. It just feels awful. I can even make the weight the same as the Mclaren and it still drives like a fucking NASCAR. The aero/downforce modeling in GT is still really poorly done. You can crank on insane amounts of downforce and the car still catches air easily. Also rideheight has no effect on diffusers etc. If you want to see how silly the downforce modeling is in GT5, take a NASCAR and put the downforce to max. It is hilarious, even at low speeds the car handles like a twitchy Elise. So fucking dumb. Oh yeah, double the downforce on a car decreases the top end speed barely at all.

avaya said:
Using the X1 for Laguna Seca b-spec endurance, it is ridiculous :lol

90 lap race will take 90mins max. Mad.

it took me 70-odd minutes, and it looks like i'll have to grind it three more times to unlock the vettel challenge :(

the xp system blows.

Top Bottom