• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

brentech

Rflagg said:
Other then future special events, finishing up some events and maybe golding tests I am pretty much done with A-spec I might not reach 40 8(. I just don't have it in me to do the endurance stuff in A-spec other then maybe the first few. In B-spec I can set the pit stops to 10% and let it run so Bob will reach 40 and complete all endurance stuff.
I figure I'll eventually do each A-Spec endurance, but probably not more than once (just for the sake of completing it). After that, it might end up being a very long time to 40 using seasonal events (hopefully they continue updating every few weeks) and online play.

I have only spent about 30 total minutes in online mode, partially because most rooms seem to be full of people that when on their side for a pass, they ram you. That along with what seemed to be minimal points earned online may take me well into 2011 before I reach 40, lol.

jett

D-Member
-viper- said:
how do we do that

USER CP > Edit options > Default Thread Subscription Mode > Choose an option other than "do not subscribe". I choose "No email notification" because I don't want to be flooded every time someone posts in a thread I've subscribed to. :p

Once that's turned on every thread you post on will be automatically added to your subscriptions folder, which can be easily accessed by clicking on "SUBSCRIPTIONS" to the right of the NeoGAF logo.

Without proper search it's the only way to make this forum readable really.

Niks

Why in Kaz name was this moved to the community forum???

edit: forum policy...hmmm, exceptions should be made

-viper-

Banned
jett said:
USER CP > Edit options > Default Thread Subscription Mode > Choose an option other than "do not subscribe". I choose "No email notification" because I don't want to be flooded every time someone posts in a thread I've subscribed to. :p

Once that's turned on every thread you post on will be automatically added to your subscriptions folder, which can be easily accessed by clicking on "SUBSCRIPTIONS" to the right of the NeoGAF logo.

Without proper search it's the only way to make this forum readable really.
Thanks. You don't know how many times I've searched for threads (without success) that I have posted in, especially since we can't search for our previous posts. Automatic subscriptions sounds great.

Goldrusher

Subscriptions don't change the fact you have to check more than one location for news now.

An online subforum made sense. And lurkers couldn't see it.
Community however does not make sense at the moment. Now you pretty much have two identical gaming boards. Some threads are here, some are there. Nobody knows what belongs where.

Goldrusher said:
S-8 is one of the harder ones, especially the first sector and the final chicane where you should catch the leader.

You should be third after the hairpin and catch 2nd in spoon.

Thanks. I kept pushing and managed 2nd. With some practice could definitely pull a win there..

Some Pit Strategy options just appeared in B-Spec (my first Extreme event).

What does Pit-in Strength Level mean? Is that to force an auto pitstop when the B-Spec driver Physical Strength gauge drops below a certain level? And do 6 laps races suddenly now require pitting?

jett

D-Member
Goldrusher said:
Subscriptions don't change the fact you have to check more than one location for news now.

An online subforum made sense. And lurkers couldn't see it.
Community however does not make sense at the moment. Now you pretty much have two identical gaming boards. Some threads are here, some are there. Nobody knows what belongs where.

If you want news, you go to the Gaming Forum. If you don't want to click on the Community tab for some reason, just subscribe to the threads you are interested in and check them on your subscriptions folder.

I personally don't understand the "community" forum, it made more sense when it was the "online" forum...and I don't see the point in trying to bring it back from life support either by moving all |OT| threads to it. A mostly offline-oriented discussion thread being here is a bit confusing.

Goldrusher

What if I have GT5 news ? New thread in Gaming ? But everyone following the game is here, no ?
But why is the (pointless imo) 1.05 thread still in Gaming ?
And what about the GT Anywhere expansion coming soon ? It's online-only, so I guess Community ? But MAG, BFBC2 Vietnam, WoW Catalysm and many others still are in Gaming ?
And so is our car sharing thread ?

If you ask me, all "Community" seems to be accomplishing, is fragmenting communities.

Goldrusher said:
What if I have GT5 news ? New thread ?
Every upcoming update ? New thread ?
What about the GT Anywhere expansion coming soon ? New thread in Community, as it's online-only ?
Speaking of online-only, why isn't the car sharing thread in here ?

If you ask me, all "Community" seems to be accomplishing, is destroying communities.

New threads for everything, and on the Gaming forum.

witness

I just played GT5 all morning and got so much accomplished. Did the tuning car championship, bought a ZR1 and RM'd, did some tuning and holy shit its scary fast. But why is the digital speedo on it in kilometers when I don't have it set to that in options? Pretty annoying. The car is scary good and scary fast, holy shit its crazy. Oh and thank goodness you can remove all of the UI at the bottom of the screen, the game looks so much better now.

When I decide to redo a championship, do you still get the prize money again for winning the series or is it a one time thing?

was wondering where this thread went! its a shame it is over here. oh well, I am off to try a few more attempts at IA-10 (so far my biggest challenge in the licenses)

witness said:
I just played GT5 all morning and got so much accomplished. Did the tuning car championship, bought a ZR1 and RM'd, did some tuning and holy shit its scary fast. Why is the digital speedo on it in kilometers when I don't have it set to that in options? The car is scary good and scary fast, holy shit its crazy.

When decide to redo a championship, do you still get the prize money again for winning the series or is it a one time thing?

I guess because the car is US and they use kilometers (I think?).

You get the same amount of prize money on repeating events, but you do not win the car again.

Metalmurphy said:
oO. They use MPH obviously.

Well I didn't know, it was just a wild guess as to why an American car had a km/h reading in the dash. Pulp Fiction, Metric System, thought it might be the same for speed measurement too :D

It's probably the same weirdness as to why some cars are left-hand drive and others are right-hand drive in the game. In both cases here they probably just worked with what they were given, they were provided a left hand drive car or whatever so modeled it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Goldrusher said:
And so is our car sharing thread ?

If you ask me, all "Community" seems to be accomplishing, is fragmenting communities.

Car sharing should be online/community, as should the photos (IMO), as those are true "community" things.

But yeah: "New News gets new threads" and "moving |OT|s from gaming to online/community randomly" is bullshit, and something that hasn't sat well with me since it was implemented. I find it funny you just found out about this, though. Guess because I frequent the BC2 thread as I do lurking the SSF4 thread.

brentech

avaya said:
X1 Indy 500 in 2hrs:15mins. Need to do this event 7 times for foing from Lvl 28-30? :lol

Just crazy.
Great...that's what I have in front of me as I'm about to have my B-team start it. Except I don't have an X, they'll be using the FormulaGT

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Metalmurphy said:
oO. They use MPH obviously.

Polyphony should've really applied MPH gauges for the cars, though. It's weird as hell to see the speedometer on so many of my Japanese cars just stop at ~220KPH.

avaya

What they've done is literally take an exponential curve for the xp system but forgot to match the rewards that way. It is complete lunacy. Who the hell wants to do 1400 laps at Indy?

Well my team of mentally challenged drivers will be going at it hammer and tongs this weekend. Then I get to the Vettel Challenge.

brentech said:
Great...that's what I have in front of me as I'm about to have my B-team start it. Except I don't have an X, they'll be using the FormulaGT

Will take roughly the same amount of time. Takes 2:40 in a Minolta.

jockamo said:
I never thought I'd say this, but Nascar races online is fucking awesome. :p

They were always going to be. NASCAR is not a sport I much care for but online oval racing will always be fun.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
wait... i just did the 1hr:30 min race and didnt even get half a lvl @ lvl 25 a shitty car and 100k.

I GIVE UP
fuck you X10
i am NOT gonna do this shit lol

AlphaSnake said:
Polyphony should've really applied MPH gauges for the cars, though. It's weird as hell to see the speedometer on so many of my Japanese cars just stop at ~220KPH.

I'm pretty sure they use whatever the real cars do (well the one they moddled anyway). Does the original ZR1 still have KMH instead of MPH or is it only the Race Mod?

avaya

Tiduz said:
wait... i just did the 1hr:30 min race and didnt even get half a lvl @ lvl 25 a shitty car and 100k.

I GIVE UP
fuck you X10
i am NOT gonna do this shit lol

(25) 186,781
(26) 239,080
(27) 306,022
(28) 391,708
(29) 501,386
(30) 641,774
(31) 821,471
(32) 1,051,483
(33) 1,345,898
(34) 1,722,749
(35) 2,205,119
(36) 2,822,552
(37) 3,612,867
(38) 4,624,470
(39) 5,919,322
(40) 7,576,732

You need 2million xp to go from 25 to 30.

http://www.wretch.cc/blog/Siufu/34160373

Tiduz

Eurogaime
avaya said:
(25) 186,781
(26) 239,080
(27) 306,022
(28) 391,708
(29) 501,386
(30) 641,774
(31) 821,471
(32) 1,051,483
(33) 1,345,898
(34) 1,722,749
(35) 2,205,119
(36) 2,822,552
(37) 3,612,867
(38) 4,624,470
(39) 5,919,322
(40) 7,576,732

You need 2million xp to go from 25 to 30.

http://www.wretch.cc/blog/Siufu/34160373

*cries*

jesus christ. i guess imma search the fastest way to level, i dont wanna do 4hr races

AlphaSnake

Metalmurphy said:
I'm pretty sure they use whatever the real cars do (well the one they moddled anyway). Does the original ZR1 still have KMH instead of MPH or is it only the Race Mod?

The Nissans are all JDM-spec with USDM names, though. =(

a1m

Banned
Special Events bonus race#1:

RX7: first try = gold
Challenger: first try = gold
GT-R: second try = gold

but I still think those events are tough and quite challenging. Are you listening PD, more these please! Now to drive the other ones.

i bronzed the nurburgring and suzuka, golded monza.

the default set-up is turd - not enough downforce for me. how long did it take people to gold all three?

AlphaSnake

a1m said:
Special Events bonus race#1:

RX7: first try = gold
Challenger: first try = gold
GT-R: second try = gold

but I still think those events are tough and quite challenging. Are you listening PD, more these please! Now to drive the other ones.

The 394HP RX7 challenge in the second set...is impossible. I don't care. You start out dead last, and all the other cars are waaay ahead of you on Tsukuba, especially the 1st place car.

-viper-

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
The 394HP RX7 challenge in the second set...is impossible. I don't care. You start out dead last, and all the other cars are waaay ahead of you on Tsukuba, especially the 1st place car.
In the first few tries, I didn't attempt to come first - I just tried learning the track with the car. Go over Tsukuba until you are getting lap times of 59 seconds with the RX7. Also get close gearing transmission to help.

The Focus challenge is the truly impossible one. Gave up on golding that ages ago.

AlphaSnake

-viper- said:
In the first few tries, I didn't attempt to come first - I just tried learning the track with the car. Go over Tsukuba until you are getting lap times of 59 seconds with the RX7. Also get close gearing transmission to help.

The Focus challenge is the truly impossible one. Gave up on golding that ages ago.

Damn, good idea. Since Tsukuba barely has a straight, crazy short gearing should really help a lot. I hate using hard tires, though. Such a royal pain.

-viper- said:

I gave up trying to get 2nd place on that one. :lol

Currently B-Spec'ing the "Like the Wind" event. You get a Toyota 7 for that, right? Need it for the A-Spec (and B eventually) Historic Event!

-viper- said:

Whew, I thought I was just terrrible at this event. I was so far away from the 1st and 2nd car.

witness

Metalmurphy said:

The regular ZR1 has a digital speedo on the windshield that reads in MPH, and it looks awesome. Switch it to a RM and the digital speedo on that steering wheel turns to kilometers. Disappointing. Amazing car and I'm more addicted to the game than ever though.

witness said:
The regular ZR1 has a digital speedo on the windshield that reads in MPH, and it looks awesome. Switch it to a RM and the digital speedo on that steering wheel turns to kilometers. Disappointing. Amazing car and I'm more addicted to the game than ever though.

That explains it, the mod was done by PD, in Japan, and they use KPH. Makes sense :p

X-Frame

witness said:

Yeah I wonder who they made such an obvious mistake with that one .. is it like that on the Z06 RM too?

brentech

Got up to 200 cars today. Went ahead and bought about 9 premiums and did some online. Now my BSpec guys are in round 2 of 7 Indy500s. They're about to be on round 3, lol.

edit to add: Was just researching the upcoming GT Anywhere and came across this
Pitting Drivers Against Your Friends' Drivers to Gain Experience

Making Your Driver Public
Set your "My Driver" to "Share with Friends" to enable that driver to compete with the "My Driver" of your friends on PlayStation®Network (PSN) in a Remote Race.

Hosting Remote Races

Select the "My Drivers" of you and your friends that are set public, along with some cars. Once a race set is created the race will begin automatically. This is called "Remote Racing."

After the race is over, all "My Drivers" that participated in the remote race will gain experience. Use remote races to gain experience for the drivers on your team.

*The service for remote race is planned to made available January 2011.
* To host a remote race, you must be signed in to the PlayStation®Network.

Gran Turismo Anywhere - Host races even when away from home

Remote races can be started from the us.gran-turismo.com official website, where you can even monitor the progress and check results of the race.

While on the go or away from home, you can check race results, and even set and start new remote races. A whole new way to enjoy Gran Turismo is here.

*This feature enables the remote operation of "Gran Turismo 5" from a web browser, and requires "Gran Turismo 5" to be running on your "PlayStation 3," set to the remote race screen in the game.
*Race progress is displayed via text only.
While I clearly see that the drivers will gain XP, I'm not necessarily sure our BSpec experience will go up. Is anyone have any info that clarifies this?

Chris R

What is the best way to level B spec? Sitting at level 1 :( Only 21 A spec but if I have to boost that to 25 or something to unlock the ezmode for B spec I'll do it :lol

brentech

rhfb said:
What is the best way to level B spec? Sitting at level 1 :( Only 21 A spec but if I have to boost that to 25 or something to unlock the ezmode for B spec I'll do it :lol
One way or another, the time has to be put in, but since your already level 21 in A-Spec, you should have the cars until the higher levels. So just overpower them and make sure they're tuned correctly if facing a same car challenge and it's pretty simple.
Nothing hard, just takes the time to get 'em done.

Chris R

I just thought I had seen something that allowed your B spec guy to do like endurance stuff gaining a bunch of levels at once :| Oh well.

Top Bottom