• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

gutterboy44 said:
Ticket 1000...... Mini Cooper. Fuck this game.

I feel you pain man.

Come on, big money, big money, no whammy, STOP!

TH0xJ.jpg

Honda TODAY G '85. fuck.

Grayman

nib95 said:
Fuck man....I'm actually thinking I might just re-start the game. Damn shitty dead PS3 and locked out game save....WHY?!!! Lol..

Might just exploit the shit out of the Birthday trick just to speed the process. But what a painful thought. Put so many hours in to it. Level 20+ A-Spec and Level 17 B-Spec....

FML.

EDIT: Shit I can't even do that lol, the game is still stuck in my dead PS3's drive! Arghhh!
I disassembled my 60gb to get the disc out. If you are doing any work at allI suggest taking the drive apart instead of trying to fish it out. I took the drive out of the system and fidgeded with it, all that did was scratch up the disc(to no effect so far) before I took the drive apart. I lost level 20 but no b spec.

Hanmik

nib95 said:
EDIT: Shit I can't even do that lol, the game is still stuck in my dead PS3's drive! Arghhh!

If it is a 60Gb ps3, most of the time you can get out the disc like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmVU8GllkWg

- turn off the power on the switch on the back.
- turn on the power while you hold your finger on the touchsensitive eject button.
- you need to hold your finger on the button untill the disc is ejected, or the PS3 blinks red lights again.
- if it doesn´t work first time keep trying. Eventually it should work..

Or do like me, pull the PS3 into pieces and recover your disc.. it´s easy to disassemble a PS3 and assemble it again..

Mush said:
Bugger. Then how is everyone getting their money from the exploit? They're just doing it for the cars?
Year 66 is the best that I know to make money. One of the standard car cost 120,000+ to resell.

Mush

So I'm doing the World Classic Car Series in B-Spec and I decided to give the Buick Special a go, and my goodness it looks ridiculous going down Mulsane. :lol

I'm pleasantly surprised with how much I'm getting into this game. I thought I'd play it every now and then but it's now got to the stage where I'm playing it for 80% of my free time. Glad I decided to stick with all assists off (except the line) with my DS3. Pretty satisfying taking a perfect corner - which is pretty damn rare for me :p - with a DS3 and no assists.

Omiee

is it just me or is everything over used with brightness after the update.
all of a suden its like brightness is 10+ or something.
wtf is up with that

Angst

Starfish_Oxide said:
Will somebody please trade me a car so the I can win the Historic Car Cup... il trade anything im desperate
Speaking of that race - what car is recommended?

dwebo

Omiee said:
i am getting frustrated by the f1 races.
they keep pushing me off the track =(
Push them right back! AI usually can't recover from last place and you get more breathing room in the championship rankings.

Mush said:
What's the best race to grind so I can get to lvl 14 B-Spec?
Just do the furthest race you can. B-spec is structured so you shouldn't need to repeat many events to gain levels.

Nothing more disappointing then winning an extreme event and getting a crappy standard car that is useless.

Oh well won a Castrol Supra from Super GT on B-spec. Saved me 900,000 out of my pocket. Now I got RZ and Castrol. I just need an SZ R version.

I got an R33 all tuned up and a GT-R 07. The supra is for profile display purposes.

Anybody got a Peugeot 908 HDi FAP or Audi R10 TDI Race Car '06 or Citroën GT by Citroën Race Car? I'm thinking of which car to buy that is the best out of those 3.

TTG

I think I'm just about done with the single player. Stuck at maybe 2/3rds of a way to level 24. I only have the Loeb challenges and the Top Gear lotus challenge left, so I assume this is where the "grind" kicks in. I'll probably fuck around 'till I hit level 24 to see the last AMG challenge and the dream car thing. It's too bad the Red Bull stuff is so high at level 30. Actually, it's too bad I have not had the chance to race an f1 car either. One is required, but I would rather spend my 5 mil on the rest of the cars that I wanted to get t than dump it all on a used car I have to continually look for. Time to get both of Mclarens, an Enzo and is there something else I'm missing? Which have been your favorite cars that you didn't have to buy?

I don't find it fun trying to beat the game as fast as possible, which is why I'm doing B-spec first then A. I'll take my time buying whatever cars I want and tune it up for fun.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
OT2 page 7 already? You guys sure do love cars.

Game's been frustrating the pants of me. :p

I can't stop loving it though, god help me

Ainigma

Neo Member
Race modded my Z06 last night and tuned to 840BHP, tried the 'like the wind' Indy oval race as a test. Off the the start the cars looses acceleration to some of the others but catches up round the first bend.

I've adjusted gears so it has a higher top speed but I seemed to stay the same distance away from 1st place, have a I done the right thing or will a few more adjustments make it more competitive? or should I have buy ZR1?

TTG

Crakatak187 said:
I don't find it fun trying to beat the game as fast as possible, which is why I'm doing B-spec first then A. I'll take my time buying whatever cars I want and tune it up for fun.

I don't find it fun playing(and I use that term loosely) B-spec. :lol I did find the cars I got from it to be fun though. I've bought a lot of cars, but I think there could of been more races and more specific races as incentive. The prices and variety have been layed out to play the long game, but the a-spec races are somewhat done to a mediumish length. For example, I just got to drive the f430 Scuderria in one of the last licenses today, I'm gonna run out and buy one. BUT, I already had the 458, if the license had some other car, I would of never thought about it.

TTG

Ainigma said:
Race modded my Z06 last night and tuned to 840BHP, tried the 'like the wind' Indy oval race as a test. Off the the start the cars looses acceleration to some of the others but catches up round the first bend.

I've adjusted gears so it has a higher top speed but I seemed to stay the same distance away from 1st place, have a I done the right thing or will a few more adjustments make it more competitive? or should I have buy ZR1?

What you need is the Zonda.

Ainigma

Neo Member
Mush said:
Don't make the same mistake I and a few others have. When RM'd and tuned, they're basically the same thing.

Good! thanks, I had a Z06 so it made sense.

Got the Mazda Stealth race car, what's that like in comparison?

True. This is me playing B-spec. Constant swearing at my idiot driver slowing down because there is a slow ass car in close to him on a straightaway instead of passing him up while on a laptop.

What fun it is :lol

It is my first time b-specing. I ignored it in GT4.

Grah. Completely stuck now. Have a choice of either grinding old events to open up a higher level, or grinding old events to get enough money for a decent race car for the events I haven't been able to do.

TTG

Ainigma said:
Zonda 'R'? how much is it?

Want one of those anyway.

You win one at that race where the credits roll, but in B-spec. I shouldn't have used the word "need" though, there are more than a few cars that can get it done.

Ainigma

Neo Member
TTG said:
You win one at that race where the credits roll, but in B-spec. I shouldn't have used the word "need" though, there are more than a few cars that can get it done.

Might have a go at that first.

I think Z06 is quite competitive, no room for error at all though.

TTG said:

Professional Series, GT World? Is this the same event in A-Spec that gets you a Veyron?

-viper-

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Pfft, Amateur :D

Driving lines make everything worst really, I only use them for the randomly generated Rally courses, for obvious reasons.
I only use the driving line for the Top Gear track.

I find it impossible to navigate around otherwise and i easily get lost.

Dead Man

Starfish_Oxide said:
Will somebody please trade me a car so the I can win the Historic Car Cup... il trade anything im desperate
Is it the historic car cup, or the historic race car one? Pretty much any muscle car with a few mods should win the first, for the second I had to get the Toyota 7.

Ainigma said:
Might have a go at that first.

I think Z06 is quite competitive, no room for error at all though.

For the Corvette, get the racing modification done. Then in settings make sure all the new gear is re-installed.

Adjust downforce to max settings, increase spring rates to 19 each front and back. Add front camber 2.5 and rear camber 2.0. That should do it.

Ainigma

Neo Member
$1148 Jack said:
For the Corvette, get the racing modification done. Then in settings make sure all the new gear is re-installed.

Adjust downforce to max settings, increase spring rates to 19 each front and back. Add front camber 2.5 and rear camber 2.0. That should do it.

Cheers, I'll try that later on my Z06.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
from 50hours + this game will be my game of the gen I guess , and I am not even sim racing fan :lol ...it's just so fucking good.

- driving is like no other, perfection , I can't see how it can any better than this.
-I like Polyphony Digital's tracks more than the real one.
-love the Mitsubishi Lancer so very much , this girl is amazing.
-Kart is super fun , Rally driving is good ( better than Dirt imo, if PD want to make full Rally I say go for it Kaz sama sensei).
-licenses so addictive and fun.
-xp points/levelling up system was nice to keep my going.

and there are just two things I want , I need full list of the standard cars in used cars , not this Just in and don't want mechanical damage damage in GT mode , well at least they should put it as on and off option.

Alright, I've played it a good while now (level 11 now) and these are my impressions of GT5:

- The menus look really good, but they're incredibly slow and in-organized.
- Giantbombcast was ripping on the music, but I love it as always. Especially the music outside of the races, there's some great tracks there.
- I'm a big fan of the Forza Motorsport games and always thought the physics and handling (the actual driving) better than GT's. However, GT5 managed to impress me greatly. The feedback from the tires is great (this was the biggest issue for me in previous games) and I now rate it as highly and perhaps even better than Forza (though I haven't played that for some time).
- The sound, sadly, is still fucking terrible. I've yet to encounter a car that doesn't sound like synthesizer when it revs over 3000rpm. It's a little better when you hear cars other than yours on the track, but overall this is incredibly disappointing. You know, it's a shame that the sound is hardly discussed on account of all the graphics wankery that goes on in this and the comparison thread. I'd say sound is easily as important as the rest (if not more).
- The graphics look fine overall, although there are some standard cars that should have just been cut, they look really out of place and manage to drag down the rest of the game. Same goes for a couple of the tracks that were copied out of GT4.
- The campaign is fun for the most part, although my enjoyment is hampered by some incredibly stupid decisions in the design of the game. I can't browse the entire selection of standard cars and have to wait for a specific type to happen by, it's fucking stupid. I also can't filter certain sets of cars by criteria. You can't sell a car you're in (just 'remove' the player from it automatically, what the hell). Warn me when I'm about to sell a car that has a specific event somewhere down the line. The list goes on with weird and cumbersome stuff like that.
- The racing isn't a lot of fun due to the simple AI. They seem slow in most cases, forming a train, braking early, their heart isn't in it. It's redeemed simply by the driving model though, as soon as I've passed them all I can have a lot of fun by myself, drifting the crap out of whatever I'm driving. It's great.

It's completely obvious at this point, but yeah, the reviews were right in most cases. Most everything about the game isn't that great, but the driving makes up for it. Every car feels different and it's fun to figure out how to get most out of them. Taking a corner perfectly is rewarding and enough to keep you coming back. The game could have been a lot better though, my thoughts on that:

- Ditch the standard cars, focus on maybe a little more premium content.
- Put some fucking effort in creating better sound. At this point it's the area where the game is lacking most.
- Reorganize the menus. Remove the endless confirmation requests. Don't make me turn off the traction control with every new car, etc etc.
- Forget Nascar, Rally, Karting, all that crap. Put those resources into creating a better core experience.

offshore

Fallout-NL said:
- Forget Nascar, Rally, Karting, all that crap. Put those resources into creating a better core experience.
Disagree, I want more racing series and types represented in GT5 (or rather future versions), not less.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Fallout-NL said:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

GT5's best feature is the Special Events. Hell freaking naw. I hope they focus on having even more of those events in the next game.

Loudninja said:
What in the hell is with people wanted them to take things out instead of adding more?That is so damn stupid.

offshore said:
Disagree, I want more racing series and types represented in GT5 (or rather future versions), not less.

chubigans said:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

GT5's best feature is the Special Events. Hell freaking naw. I hope they focus on having even more of those events in the next game.

Sure, but if you're going to do it, do it well. And it's hard to create a truly exceptional rally game when you are trying to do a thousand other things as well.

-viper-

Banned
offshore said:
The variety of races in GT5 is what makes me keep on coming back. I love it.

I want GT5 to expand on NASCAR and WRC in the next iteration.

The core gameplay is fantastic. They just need to fix the A.I. behaviour. In terms of difficulty, I think it's fine. If you choose a car with 200hp more than your opponents, then of course it's going to be easier :p

Top Bottom