• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

dwebo

Loudninja said:
What in the hell is with people wanted them to take things out instead of adding more?That is so damn stupid.
The problem is when you add stuff that isn't very good (I could come up with serious complaints about probably every single special event), it sullies the whole experience.

dwebo said:
The problem is when you add stuff that isn't very good (I could come up with serious complaints about probably every single special event), it sullies the whole experience.

Bingo, I appreciate your support.

Ainigma

Neo Member
Fallout-NL said:
Sure, but if you're going to do it, do it well. And it's hard to create a truly exceptional rally game when you are trying to do a thousand other things as well.

Can't speak for the pad, but with a wheel the Rally driving is exceptional.

And Nascar, i'm in the EU so not really a motor sport we see much of, but GT has given me a new appreciation for Nascar and for the skill of the Drivers, so much more to it.

I'm glad it has these different types of events, there's just not enough!

Can anyone suggest a car for Indy (specifically bspec on Like The Wind). I've tried everything I've got maxed out and my poor drivers just can't compete. The best results I've had are with the race modded ZR1, and even that can't come close (9th position best so far).

Am I going to have to save up for an Audi R10 or something?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
dwebo said:
I could find complaints too, but special events are what I like the most in this game.

dwebo

Ainigma said:
Can't speak for the pad, but with a wheel the Rally driving is exceptional.
Even though I'm pretty bad on gravel, nailing the perfect countersteer for a drift around a shallow corner at speed on a wheel was an almost revelatory experience. That plus the often beautiful lighting at dawn/dusk did make rallying one of my more memorable GT5 experiences.

marc^o^ said:
I could find complaints too, but special events are what I like the most in this game.
Yeah, there were some great highs, but many were just poorly executed IMO (NASCAR, Top Gear, pro driver "instruction" being the worst offenders).

-viper-

Banned
Psychotext said:
Can anyone suggest a car for Indy (specifically bspec on Like The Wind). I've tried everything I've got maxed out and my poor drivers just can't compete. The best results I've had are with the race modded ZR1, and even that can't come close (9th position best so far).

Zonda R?

CozMick

Banned
Some people just can't appreciate what Polyphony are doing to the driving genre.

If it wasn't for these guys we'd be stuck playing against 7 ooponents, on tarmac in a sunny climate.

But now, the next iterations of the driving simulator (e.g Forza, NFS etc) have to push the bar even higher and to be honest I can't see any developer doing what PD have done this gen.

Removing those above mentioned features is a massive step back.

Ainigma

Neo Member
dwebo said:
Even though I'm pretty bad on gravel, nailing the perfect countersteer for a drift around a shallow corner at speed on a wheel was an almost revelatory experience. That plus the often beautiful lighting at dawn/dusk did make rallying one of my more memorable GT5 experiences.

Yeah, there were some great highs, but many were just poorly executed IMO (NASCAR, Top Gear, pro driver "instruction").

It is a bit tricky with the wheel, but imagine driving on gravel like a lunatic isn't easy!

The driving experience in all the events, Nascar, WRC is fantastic, and gives you an idea what its' like and how skillful these drivers are, but they didn't do enough with the events, maybe in time. More please!

Thats not a complaint, love the game.

dwebo

Psychotext said:
It's about a second a lap off the ZR1 RM.
To beat b-spec Like the Wind you need to use the a-spec reward.

Huggers said:
What car did you guys complete the final like the wind race with?
ibz505.jpg

TTG

A challenger appears!

Z06 RM(866hp, 1090kg) 1.18.789
McLaren F1(864hp, 970kg) 1.18.355
Zonda R(just for reference, probably without the engine upgrades) 1.20.260

The Mclaren will get into 870-880 as I break it in. Both done around Laguna Seca. Maybe it's the fact that I spent like a mil more on the f1, but it's more fun to drive. Center driving position is awesome and unlike the Vette, it's not so clinical. It actually will light up the tires from time to time and is much more nimble in corner entries/exits. The Corvette thunders around, perfect traction from 3rd gear on, perfect stability in corners.

h3ro

Ploid... this mclaren is gonna be the end of me. :lol

I did paint it using my Midnight Purple chip from the Skyline though. It's gorgeous but a beast to drive. Ridiculous understeer into a corner, tail happy on the way out. It's aged me.

Dead Man

Psychotext said:

For the oval B Spec I hat to break the bank on a Peugot 908FAP, 4 million Cr, but awesome on GT all stars B spec too.

dwebo

Psychotext said:
What should I use to beat in in A-Spec?
You should be able to do that in a Zonda R w/ race softs. Or the Corvette RM people keep pimping :lol

For some reason b-spec drivers never take Indy bends as fast as you can, even on the same tires.

Melfice7

SolidSnakex said:
I got a fricken Jeff Gordon NASCAR for my 100 race ticket. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't already have a Joey Logano NASCAR. I don't need another one. :/

Don't complain.. i got a Miata :<

dwebo said:
You should be able to do that in a Zonda R w/ race softs. Or the Corvette RM people keep pimping :lol

For some reason b-spec drivers never take Indy bends as fast as you can, even on the same tires.
Shall give it a go. Might have a look around for a specific tune for it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Psychotext said:
What should I use to beat in in A-Spec?

zonda or your ZR1. A-spec lets you have better tyres, plus you can be braver into corners. B-spec driver slows down too much, so even if you bump up the transmission you can catch them on the straights but lose it in the corners.

I think we need someone to lend us a Toyota 7 or mazda 787 for the b-spec like the wind oval, then we can win a toyota 7 and give it back.

TTG

I guess I'll go find out what the Enzo can do. Anyone know what the fastest(around a track) production car is?

Interesting, just noticed when racing my Stealth SLS in B Spec chase came, the side view mirrors have the reflections on the wrong side. It looks like the code is placing the right side reflections on the left mirror and vice versa.:lol Will have to see if it is the same on other cars.

-Amon-

CozMick said:
Some people just can't appreciate what Polyphony are doing to the driving genre.

If it wasn't for these guys we'd be stuck playing against 7 ooponents, on tarmac in a sunny climate.

So right.

On top no that you have to consider that it's so much easier to whine.

Travado

ElyrionX said:
My PS3's fan just won't stop. Its driving me nuts. Help me!

Open your ps3, clean and replace the thermal paste/thermal grease.

Many PS3 dies because the thermal paste dry, and after that, the internal components are affected by overheating.

deim0s

How's the online racing/damage model from the latest update with GT5?

My older brother is saying something that driving wheels are getting trashed from excessive FFB response, any truth to that?

Dead Man

CozMick said:

But now, the next iterations of the driving simulator (e.g Forza, NFS etc) have to push the bar even higher and to be honest I can't see any developer doing what PD have done this gen.

Look, GT added a lot of things, but you act like no other driving game has ever introduced a new feature, or that rally games existed prior to GT. Calm down. GT5 is absolutely amazing in a few ways, but a little bit shit in a lot. That is my personal judgement, yours may differ.

CozMick said:

I don't care for 16 cars on track if the AI is as bad as it is in GT5. I stopped playing because of that. The AI simply kills all the fun.

Nascar and other events in the Extreme Series are utterly terrible.

This is god damn torture. I am saving up the 4.5mill for the elusive PD F1 car but in the mean team I swear every bad ass race car ever is appearing in my Used Dealership tempting me to blow all my money. Just need to hit the 4.5 mar so I can rest easy knowing I can poach that bitch when it finally shows its ugly head. No man should have to turn down an Impreza LM :(

Mush

gutterboy44 said:
This is god damn torture. I am saving up the 4.5mill for the elusive PD F1 car but in the mean team I swear every bad ass race car ever is appearing in my Used Dealership tempting me to blow all my money. Just need to hit the 4.5 mar so I can rest easy knowing I can poach that bitch when it finally shows its ugly head. No man should have to turn down an Impreza LM :(
I hear you. I've been trying to save up for my Raybrig NSX and after every race it's like "Ohhhh that's cool. GIMME."

/purchases car

/checks balance

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

dwebo

gutterboy44 said:
Not to further rain on your parade, but I'd get 5m to be safe, since I think that's what it'll go for if it has no miles. Bonus points for 6m, since if you do get one with mileage, you'll probably want to engine / chassis repair, which are 500k each. :D

CozMick said:

LOL. Joke post of the month.

dwebo said:
Not to further rain on your parade, but I'd get 5m to be safe, since I think that's what it'll go for if it has no miles. Bonus points for 6m, since if you do get one with mileage, you'll probably want to engine / chassis repair, which are 500k each. :D

A) Thanks for the heads up. B) FFFFUUUUUUUUU

Wake up O.Goh and L.Bean you have work to do today.

darkwing

Mush said:
I hear you. I've been trying to save up for my Raybrig NSX and after every race it's like "Ohhhh that's cool. GIMME."

/purchases car

/checks balance

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

hahaha tell me about it, i just had to buy both versions of the AE86 when it appeared :lol

btw what are you guys using for the British Lightweight cup? DB9? lol

Double D

Admittedly, I've only seen Top Gear a handful of times, but do they ever race with other cars on the show? I thought it was for time trials only? Don't fucking set me up in a race where if I tap another car I get DQ'd, especially if it's one where I have to go from last to first in 2 laps. And seriously, I grazed that goddamn cone. Give me a fucking break.

Melfice7

Fortinbras said:
I don't care for 16 cars on track if the AI is as bad as it is in GT5. I stopped playing because of that. The AI simply kills all the fun.

Nascar and other events in the Extreme Series are utterly terrible.

What do you feel about 16 players racing online?

Vik_Vaughn said:
Admittedly, I've only seen Top Gear a handful of times, but do they ever race with other cars on the show? I thought it was for time trials only? Don't fucking set me up in a race where if I tap another car I get DQ'd, especially if it's one where I have to go from last to first in 2 laps. And seriously, I grazed that goddamn cone. Give me a fucking break.

They don't do races like that, but they don't do time trials only either.

Leunam

Yeah, really curious why they took out Infineon. I hated it at first with the blind uphill corner in the first sector but once you nail it it's actually a very fun track.

darkwing

for Asia only

D1CYa.jpg

contest details says only Mercedes cars, so SLS AMG would be the fastest available in Arcade mode then?

Watkins Glen International would be perfect for this game. Has two configurations, NASCAR races there, IRL does for future license shit, and has a history of F1, ALMS, Group C, and vintage races there.

Also I have a massive bias towards the track since I grew up 15 minutes from it.

T Ghost

TheSeks said:
FUCK! Who has the GAF truck? I can't seem to get one to appear in the used car lot. FFFFFFFFFF.
I got the game on US launch date and since then I was waiting for it. Yesterday late at night finally a F150 came up. So I had to wait for almost 2 full weeks for it to show up. Good job Kaz & game design crew at PD!
Hit me with a FR and I'll lend if you give me a "deposit". I'll return your deposit when you return my F150. It's already souped up to be competitive in the truck challenge. The PSN ID is "T-Ghost-"

Top Bottom