• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

avaya

cilonen said:
Not yet, looks the business though. That and a Sauber C9 are top of my wish list.

Yeah I'm looking for it, hopefully it pops up in the dealership. I'm gonna go on a Le Man's collecting spree as soon as I finish the Indy 500 madness.

Angst

AlphaSnake said:
You have to go to the tuning section and actually BUY the mods first and then visit that screen and select the category you want to make changes to (suspension and transmission are the only things you can fine tune).
And Brakes + LCD setting + Downforce (if you have a wing from GT Auto that is) + 4WD Torque for 4WD cars.

cilonen

h3ro said:
My most experienced driver is W. Schumacher.

I call him Wichael. He's Michael with a twisted mustache and an upside down Ferrari prancing horse on his helmet.

:lol Gold.

Michael's in there somewhere to be had. A.Senna, A.Vatanen, J.Kankkunen, M.Gronholm and T.Makinen are also all possible, I'm sure of it.

cilonen said:
IRL the Peugeot is the much faster car. In qualifying for Le Mans last year they locked out the top four spots. They got owned on reliability last year with none of them finishing; but the 908 made the R10/R15 obsolete in terms of speed.

Audi's new R18 has a similar closed cockpit too now.

Edit: pole for Le Mans was 3:19 something in a works 908. Stunning achievement once you've given it a go in game.

Thanks, picked up the 908. Awesome car and I love the interior didn't break it in the first enduro but I'll definitely use it when it next few. Dat start up sound *bites lip*

Oh and my B-spec driver C.Sanders once again smashes the competition proving he is not chicken. :lol

cilonen

Dubbedinenglish said:
Thanks, picked up the 908. Awesome car and I love the interior didn't break it in the first enduro but I'll definitely use it when it next few. Dat start up sound *bites lip*

Oh and my B-spec driver C.Sanders once again smashes the competition proving he is not chicken. :lol

Top choice :)

cilonen

avaya said:
Started the final 3 Indy 500's. Jesus christ. :lol

I did 3 B-spec to get me to 29 earlier today. Currently 'taking a break' by doing A-spec Laguna Seca Enduro in a stock Viper ACR. Hopefully this'll get me to 28 a-spec and I can start the Indy grind there too. Joy.

avaya

cilonen said:
I did 3 B-spec to get me to 29 earlier today. Currently 'taking a break' by doing A-spec Laguna Seca Enduro in a stock Viper ACR. Hopefully this'll get me to 28 a-spec and I can start the Indy grind there too. Joy.

My strategy is to use B-spec grind to unlock the Red Bull challenge. Then use that to jump straight to Lvl 30 A-spec, thus minimising the mad early endurance grind in A-spec.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm taking a break from the game until Kaz decides to speed up B-spec leveling along with A-spec leveling. God, do they take forever after level 15. >_<

cilonen

avaya said:
My strategy is to use B-spec grind to unlock the Red Bull challenge. Then use that to jump straight to Lvl 30 A-spec, thus minimising the mad early endurance grind in A-spec.

Like the plan! The first three Enduro's I don't mind (4 hours at Tsukuba was a bit mad). It's 1000km at Suzuka and Tsukuba 9 hours I'm really not looking forward to. I'll have to do them at some point, but I might use your plan to skip a couple of levels in the middle ther so I can unlock Le Mans sooner.

avaya

cilonen said:
Like the plan! The first three Enduro's I don't mind (4 hours at Tsukuba was a bit mad). It's 1000km at Suzuka and Tsukuba 9 hours I'm really not looking forward to. I'll have to do them at some point, but I might use your plan to skip a couple of levels in the middle ther so I can unlock Le Mans sooner.

Suzuka I don't mind doing lap after lap, it's my favourite circuit. Tsukuba will literally be hundreds of laps of mind numbing boredom.

A sadistic part of me is really looking forward to A-spec endurance. Really looking forward to it. I've got till the 10th to get to Level 35+ on A spec, cos when work starts I'm boned, will have hardly any time.

My plan only works because from my current Lvl 24 A-spec status I have still up for grabs

200k from seasonal events not attempted yet
16k from DTM
100k from FGT
85k from Dream Car Championship
113k from Grand Valley
200k from Mazda 4hr
158k from Laguna Seca
268k from Indy 500

Then I need around 900k xp from remaining special events including Vettel, AMG challenges, Rally, Grand Tour and Loeb which I've not attempted. Should jump me to 30+ and straight into Suzuka 1000k.

I finally reached level 35 in B-Spec yesterday and got my X2010 S.Vettel which I oil changed right after.

I then went to arcade and drove around for awhile(using other cars) and went back to GT Mode only to find my X2010 gained 4.5 miles without being used wtf.

Random glitch or logical explanation? =/

B-Spec Bob took it out for a test drive >_< /sarcasm

cilonen

avaya said:
Suzuka I don't mind doing lap after lap, it's my favourite circuit. Tsukuba will literally be hundreds of laps of mind numbing boredom.

A sadistic part of me is really looking forward to A-spec endurance. Really looking forward to it. I've got till the 10th to get to Level 35+ on A spec, cos when work starts I'm boned, will have hardly any time.

My plan only works because from my current Lvl 24 A-spec status I have still up for grabs

200k from seasonal events not attempted yet
16k from DTM
100k from FGT
85k from Dream Car Championship
113k from Grand Valley
200k from Mazda 4hr
158k from Laguna Seca
268k from Indy 500

Then I need around 900k xp from remaining special events including Vettel, AMG challenges, Rally, Grand Tour and Loeb which I've not attempted. Should jump me to 30+ and straight into Suzuka 1000k.
Nice. I only have FGT, the Grand Tour and the second set of seasonals completely clear. I'm about halfway through the AMG Driving School and I've just finished the first three Enduros.

The enduros are great because you really learn how a car handles. Sitting there with a wheel in cockpit view you can zone out and just focus on the driving and how the car behaves. The Viper I was just in for example was really heavy on cold tyres, but went where you pointed it, then slowly lightened up and really started to fly after a couple of laps until, many laps later and with little warning, it had cooked it's rear tyres and couldn't even hold a bend without any throttle applied.

Still, 9 hours at Taukuba... Hmmm. Suzuka as you say will be OK if I get the car right, I normally love it too, but I re-did the Supercar Nostalgia beginner race there in a Miura yesterday and it's temporarily put me off it a bit!

Edit: I'm back in to work on the 4th so it'll be setting B-spec going when I get in and only getting to properly race on a weekend after tomorrow!

avaya

cilonen said:
Nice. I only have FGT, the Grand Tour and the second set of seasonals completely clear. I'm about halfway through the AMG Driving School and I've just finished the first three Enduros.

The enduros are great because you really learn how a car handles. Sitting there with a wheel in cockpit view you can zone out and just focus on the driving and how the car behaves. The Viper I was just in for example was really heavy on cold tyres, but went where you pointed it, then slowly lightened up and really started to fly after a couple of laps until, many laps later and with little warning, it had cooked it's rear tyres and couldn't even hold a bend without any throttle applied.

Still, 9 hours at Taukuba... Hmmm. Suzuka as you say will be OK if I get the car right, I normally love it too, but I re-did the Supercar Nostalgia beginner race there in a Miura yesterday and it's temporarily put me off it a bit!

Edit: I'm back in to work on the 4th so it'll be setting B-spec going when I get in and only getting to properly race on a weekend after tomorrow!

Yeah I'm going hudless on the enduro's. Which race did you use the Viper for?

KennyLinder said:
Is that right? Is the jump from 29 to 30 tiny then? Surely it's more than that?

641k is the xp required. You get 157k for Indy on B and 268k in A.

cilonen

avaya said:
Yeah I'm going hudless on the enduro's. Which race did you use the Viper for?

Laguna Seca 200 miles. A stock Viper ACR with Racing Hards, really enjoyable. Although if you do try it out, beware the tyres, the racing hards look as if they'll do 45 laps allowing you to only pit once, but they'll be useless after about 30 laps turning it into a two-stopper (90 laps total).

avaya

cilonen said:
Laguna Seca 200 miles. A stock Viper ACR with Racing Hards, really enjoyable. Although if you do try it out, beware the tyres, the racing hards look as if they'll do 45 laps allowing you to only pit once, but they'll be useless after about 30 laps turning it into a two-stopper (90 laps total).

This sounds like a blast, will try this out. I will most definitely destroy the tyres, my driving style is too aggressive.

Just hit level 6. Bought a WRX STI for my first new car. Always wanted to drive one.

Probably not the wisest buy. But I'm having fun with the game. :D

brentech

avaya said:
The relief must be amazing.
I felt so bad for them, that after I realized I don't have time to actually do the challenges right now - I instantly put them into the freshly unlocked 1000km race. I'm a real bastard.

evil_skeletor hasnt got back to me yet, so...who wants an X1? Can give away one with a redbull livery in a half hour, I have 30 minutes left on Bspec bob's 24 run of Sarthe. First reply wins.

djkimothy

The WRX used to be my old standby. That and the R-34 and the Supra from days of old...You can use thw WRX to enter quite a few venues so it's a decent buy.

Broseybrose

So what exactly is the deal with damage? Im not talking about visible damage, im talking about in the GT shop, how it wants something ridiculous like 500,000cr to repair the chassis on my Veyron. Thing has like 11 miles on it! It wont let me touch the engine rebuild, says it doesnt need it.

Is that from crashing the car? Is that how damage and repair works in this game? By making crashing super expensive to repair? Also, does damage affect the cars handling?

djkimothy said:
The WRX used to be my old standby. That and the R-34 and the Supra from days of old...You can use thw WRX to enter quite a few venues so it's a decent buy.
Thats good to know. I don't know much about racing and niche cars. Just the mainstream ones. I'm really enjoying the game. Progress feels very brisk, leveling up every few races, winning cars, and unlocking new events. I'm loving the special events.

avaya said:
641k is the xp required. You get 157k for Indy on B and 268k in A.

Ah, you were talking Indy Endurance weren't you? That's where I got confused! I've not unlocked that one yet, but what vehicle did you use? Does it have to be a NASCAR? If not I am guessing the ZR-1 RM which is the favourite for Like the Wind? An easy win? And, how long does it take to complete the Indy Enduro in both A and B Spec?

Questions questions!

KennyLinder said:
Ah, you were talking Indy Endurance weren't you? That's where I got confused! I've not unlocked that one yet, but what vehicle did you use? Does it have to be a NASCAR? If not I am guessing the ZR-1 RM which is the favourite for Like the Wind? An easy win? And, how long does it take to complete the Indy Enduro in both A and B Spec?

Questions questions!

The average time of the 2nd place guy is around 42-45 seconds per lap at best. I'm not sure if you can do it with ZR-1 RM. When I did it on A spec it seems like the A.I had 1.5x the amount of fuel that I had. It takes me almost 2 pits in order for them to pit in once.

avaya

KennyLinder said:

Questions questions!

You can use any car. I'm using the X1. Minolta will do the Indy 500 in 2hrs:40min in B-spec. A-spec will be about 10-15mins faster. ZR-1 RM should be able to beat all the LMP cars in the race.

theignoramus said:
evil_skeletor hasnt got back to me yet, so...who wants an X1? Can give away one with a redbull livery in a half hour, I have 30 minutes left on Bspec bob's 24 run of Sarthe. First reply wins.
Hey what? What did I miss? I hope I didn't miss out. Been monitoring this thread pretty flat out.

Broseybrose

Broseybrose said:
So what exactly is the deal with damage? Im not talking about visible damage, im talking about in the GT shop, how it wants something ridiculous like 500,000cr to repair the chassis on my Veyron. Thing has like 11 miles on it! It wont let me touch the engine rebuild, says it doesnt need it.

Is that from crashing the car? Is that how damage and repair works in this game? By making crashing super expensive to repair? Also, does damage affect the cars handling?
Anybody know?

cilonen

Broseybrose said:
Anybody know?

Nope, it's not crash damage. it's to fix chassis flex and is only really relevant after many 1000's of miles travelled.

The game models chassis flex based on distance travelled and any chassis is going to relax a tiny tiny amount after just a single mile; the game doesn't make any distinction between repairing that and repairing a warped tired chassis after 50,000 track miles so it gives you the option of restoring back to factory fresh after driving it once.

The cost is always the same, half (or is it 2/3) the cost of the car up to a maximum of 500,000 credits.

It's nothing to do with crash damage so don't worry until you can actually feel the car not holding it's lines anymore.

Engine rebuilds are much more common, do these when an oil change alone doesn't return the car to it's optimum horsepower.

So I'm new to GT5, just working on the amateur races now. I did some seasonal events and got the ZR1 I was lusting after. Did a couple more and had enough cash in the bank for the race mod and tuned that sucker up.

I can't fucking believe this car. For what I'm used to driving, it absolutely smokes everything, both in a straight line and around corners. It just whines and goes, grips when I can't imagine there's anything left. I went into cockpit view with the HUD turned off at night in the rain--bloody amazing.

Now it all makes sense, this GT5 stuff! Can't wait for my wheel.

wouwie

opticalmace said:
So I'm new to GT5, just working on the amateur races now. I did some seasonal events and got the ZR1 I was lusting after. Did a couple more and had enough cash in the bank for the race mod and tuned that sucker up.

I can't fucking believe this car. For what I'm used to driving, it absolutely smokes everything, both in a straight line and around corners. It just whines and goes, grips when I can't imagine there's anything left. I went into cockpit view with the HUD turned off at night in the rain--bloody amazing.

Now it all makes sense, this GT5 stuff! Can't wait for my wheel.

I had the same experience. Since i installed the race modifications, i love that car. It's insane to drive. Feels really good. My favourite car so far.

Only problem: i painted the car not knowing it would only paint the front. Now i would like to restore it's color to the original white but i have no clue which white to pick to match the back of the car.

Top Bottom