• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

matmanx1

Just posted up a nearly brand new Logitech G27 in the Buy/Sale thread so if any of you folks are interested I would give a fellow Gaf'er a good deal. Thanks!

brentech

Gloomfire said:
Holy mother of God Formula GT A-spec is HARD :(.
Just going to quote it here as the creator of the GTPlanet thread got banned so there's no point in linking it. The following setup was posted for B-Spec but works great in A-Spec as well.
I used it for both modes.

Race 1

Front Downforce - 70
Rear Downforce - 90
Front Breaks - 4
Rear Breaks - 1
Front Ride Height - 5
Rear Ride Height - 5
Transmission/ Top Speed - 261MPH
Spring Rate Front - 17.5
Spring Rate Rear - 17.5
Extension Dampers Front - 8
Extension Dampers Rear - 8
Compression Dampers Front - 6
Compression Dampers Rear - 6

You will gain most of your positions towards the end of the straight, while maintaining a solid pace through the bends. It should take you about 4-8 laps to take first place.

Race 2

Front Downforce - 70
Rear Downforce - 90
Front Breaks - 4
Rear Breaks - 1
Front Ride Height - 5
Rear Ride Height - 5
Transmission/ Top Speed - 249MPH
Spring Rate Front - 17.5
Spring Rate Rear - 17.5

Again you will gain most of your positions towards the end of the straight, while maintaining a solid pace through the bends. You will hit the rev limit just before the end of the straight. It should take you about 4-8 laps to take first place.

Race 3

Front Downforce - 70
Rear Downforce - 90
Front Breaks - 7
Rear Breaks - 2
Front Ride Height - -10
Rear Ride Height - -10
Transmission/ Top Speed - 199MPH
Spring Rate Front - 18.5
Spring Rate Rear - 18.5

Wow, this one is a ball ache, but with such a low gear ratio you will overtake on the short straights and through the tight corners. I had 3rd on lap 2, but first place didnt come till i was on lap 7 but then run away with it for the rest of the race. I also upped the breaks for this race. Twice in testing, the AI spun out and caused a pile up, which can be a bit of a nightmare to come back from, but its still possible.

Race 4

Front Downforce - 70
Rear Downforce - 90
Front Breaks - 7
Rear Breaks - 2
Front Ride Height - -10
Rear Ride Height - -10
Transmission/ Top Speed - 236MPH
Spring Rate Front - 18.5
Spring Rate Rear - 18.5

This one is childs play. I used the same setup as race 3 but upped the top speed. I pushed my guy too hard on lap 1 and he spun off 3 times. but he took first again before the end of lap 2. Simples

Race 5

Front Downforce - 70
Rear Downforce - 90
Front Breaks - 3
Rear Breaks - 1
Front Ride Height - -10
Rear Ride Height - -10
Spring Rate Front - 18.5
Spring Rate Rear - 18.5

Another easy race, you can have first place within 2 laps, there are loads of good straights to take places on this race.

Race 6

Front Downforce - 70
Rear Downforce - 90
Front Breaks - 3
Rear Breaks - 1
Front Ride Height - -10
Rear Ride Height - -10
Spring Rate Front - 18.5
Spring Rate Rear - 18.5

Keep in mind his comments are about his B-Spec driver, so it may take you more or less time to get into the lead. And don't forget to change to the suggested break levels, as it's extremely helpful. The real game changer is just knowing the top speed though.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
-viper- said:
The GTR feels better to drive. With the R8, I feel I have to turn more of my wheel to actually get past a corner. And I have to slow down more. :\

I have to disagree. The GTR feels much heavier than the R8, and doesn't turn in nearly as well, especially since its center of gravity is so much higher. The R8 becomes Formula One-like when fully modded - and rightfully so, it is a howling V10 afterall.

Chris R

B-Spec live timing monitor sucks so much compared to GT4 :( Ugh, just hope it gets better with a future patch or when I finally get to endur-races.

Theignoramus just sent me an X1. I think my custom soundtrack song of "Welcome to the jungle (you're gonna die)" that came on when I test drove it for the first time, pretty much sums it up!
Thanks theignoramus, I will def 'pay it forward'.

evil_as_skeletor said:
Theignoramus just sent me an X1. I think my custom soundtrack song of "Welcome to the jungle (you're gonna die)" that came on when I test drove it for the first time, pretty much sums it up!
Thanks theignoramus, I will def 'pay it forward'.

Can I be cheeky and ask for the "pay it forward" on the X1 please :D

evil_as_skeletor said:
Yeah mate, add me (evil_skeletor_13). I will do for you tomorrow some time.
Only one for now!
As long as you do the same! :)

Will do when I get home, cheers :D And yes I'll make sure I advertise a pay it forward on here too!

(I'm right in thinking I just save with the X1 in the garage, send it back to you, then load the save?)

heliconsoul said:
Will do when I get home, cheers :D And yes I'll make sure I advertise a pay it forward on here too!

(I'm right in thinking I just save with the X1 in the garage, send it back to you, then load the save?)

No need to send one back to me.
You just save when you receive the X1, you can make a backup of that save to USB stick if you want to send it on to someone else.

Somebody on here may be able to post a better explanation, but you can find out by a quick google search.

If you do as you described above, you will lose it as it saves when you gift.

evil_as_skeletor said:
No need to send one back to me.
You just save when you receive the X1, you can make a backup of that save to USB stick if you want to send it on to someone else.

Somebody on here may be able to post a better explanation, but you can find out by a quick google search.

If you do as you described above, you will lose it as it saves when you gift.

BTW, I hope this is ok by theignoramus.
I gather it was assumed that I can help other people out too... :)

ga11agh3r

Neo Member
heliconsoul said:

And maybe you can then keep the daisy-chain going and pass a X1 over to me?

of course I'd be willing to do the same for any fellow gaffer then :)

alex1893

TTG said:
Hey guy! Are you looking to kill some Le Mans prototypes, but hate staring at that standard POS Toyota you won? Why don't you get yourself a Corvette, Z06 or the ZR1 will do. 95k for the car, 185(or so) for the race conversion and toss in another 30-50k for engine upgrades and a small chunk for soft racing tires. And here you thought the C6 was getting long in the tooth, you thought it was passed by the new wave of GTRs and Viper ACRs. You silly goose! The Vette is the real deal.

5240601165_e7c9df2c34_b.jpg

Now that's something a Zonda R doesn't want to see in the rear view mirror(huh hoh, it doesn't have one!)
got this car yesterday and I'm a bit confused now ;) ...

I tuned it to 654kw, did some races and it went up to 666kw... after another race it was 668kw ?!?! Do you have to run in new cars to reach their full potential?

edit: same happened to my RX-7, got it on 293kw for the RX-7 season challenge but now it's 295kw and I can't take part anymore if I don't remove any boosting parts to get it under the allowed 294kw.

New GT5er here, couple questions about B-spec.

My driver is level 8 or 9 I think, and he's slowly winning some races and stuff. I just added a second driver but he's obviously level 0. Is there any reason for me to use the new guy? Do I have to make him go through the beginner events all over again?

Why don't I just stick to the level 9 guy is I guess what I'm asking.

Also a stupid question about suspension: when I adjust the ride height (from -10 to 30), the positive numbers mean the car is lower right? : |

Cheers.

Edit: What's the deal with pitstops/tires? I just started some of the professional level races (the one after amateur, whatever it's called). Am I supposed to be pitting or something? I've never done it. I was using soft racing tires with the ZR1. The tire indicator in the corner seems to only tell me if the wheel is losing grip/spinning?

Goldrusher

You don't really need a second driver until your first one is around level 25. Then immediately throw some new ones in the Endurance events and they'll be level 20+ in no time.

Pitstops are to change tires when they're crap or when it starts raining. And to fuel up.
In Expert or Extreme, you'll need to pit in some events. Not so much in A-spec, but definitely in B-spec.

As for the tire indicator:

whjrfb.jpg

(not mine)

ga11agh3r said:
And maybe you can then keep the daisy-chain going and pass a X1 over to me?

of course I'd be willing to do the same for any fellow gaffer then :)

Sure thing, PM me your PSN ID and I'll pass one over when I get it :D

thelastword

Banned
I've golded the first four of the Seasonal 1 races, but the last one (GTR Race) is proving a bit difficult. I mean, I can get silver in that race everytime, however some of the throttling necessary, especially in the first corner (tunnel) seems a bit daunting with the DS3. I must say though, that SSR5 have always given me some trouble in past GT's (Vitz Race in GT3 Ahhhh.....) but, I suspect I'm just not taking the right lines to save time.

heliconsoul said:
Sure thing, PM me your PSN ID and I'll pass one over when I get it :D
Exceeded my stupid 1-gift-per-day allowance already so will get it to you in the morning.
Does anyone know whether it's 1 per 24hr period or per calendar day?

Goldrusher

evil_as_skeletor said:
Exceeded my stupid 1-gift-per-day allowance already so will get it to you in the morning.
Does anyone know whether it's 1 per 24hr period or per calendar day?
Calendar day, with a reset (for me) at GMT midnight, even though I'm in GMT+1 / CET.

avaya

So let B-spec use my X1 all this time. Tried Monza on the Vettel challenge for the first time.

HOLY SHIT :lol

The Lesmo's and Ascari are MADNESS. Complete MADNESS.

2million xp for golding Monza, straight to Lvl 30 from 24. Thank you very much.

Nurburgring next then Suzuka....

avaya said:

That´s what i thought. I mean, why brakes?

:lol

Is also extremely easy to spin on those turns, or crash just like Hamilton did in one of those two.

-viper-

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
I have to disagree. The GTR feels much heavier than the R8, and doesn't turn in nearly as well, especially since its center of gravity is so much higher. The R8 becomes Formula One-like when fully modded - and rightfully so, it is a howling V10 afterall.
Are you using specific tuning settings for the R8? I have installed all upgrades and left the settings stock. Also, did you install the aero wing?

Goldrusher

avaya said:
So let B-spec use my X1 all this time. Tried Monza on the Vettel challenge for the first time.

2million xp for golding Monza, straight to Lvl 30 from 24. Thank you very much.

Nurburgring next then Suzuka....
Congrats. But imo, the times to beat are unfair.

every single challenge, license, event, race in the game:

bronze = easy (90% of the players should have no problem getting them)
silver = medium
gold = hard

Sebastian Vettel X Challenge:

bronze = ultra hard (90% of the players won't get them)
silver = insanely hard
gold = fuuuuuuuuuuu

Goldrusher said:
Congrats. But imo, the times to beat are unfair.

every single challenge, license, event, race in the game:

bronze = easy (90% of the players should have no problem getting them)
silver = medium
gold = hard

Sebastian Vettel X Challenge:

bronze = ultra hard (90% of the players won't get them)
silver = insanely hard
gold = fuuuuuuuuuuu

Just keeping it on the track for two laps is going to be a big enough challenge for most. I am not sure why they made the bronze to difficult for the Vettel challenge. The XP rewards for golding those events is amazing though. Went from lvl30 to lvl35 from just those.

yeah those nurburgring and suzuka times are crazy

the monza one was easy, i got gold on my third attempt but the other two i'm getting slaughtered and only have bronze medals.

Goldrusher

Maybe.

To put things into perspective for those who haven't yet unlocked the X Challenge:
I don't have a single bronze in any other event in the game, yet I can't even get within 5s of the bronze in the easiest X Challenge (Monza).

thelastword

Banned
Golded all the Seasonal 1 races before closing time, it's a good thing too, because I've got work in a couple of hours and I would have lost all that XP and Cr. The difference this time as opposed to earlier is I was using hard tires all this time. Hell, I golded the Fiat Race with a DS3 which is the most difficult, so I was really wondering why I was not coming close to the GT40 on the 5th race. So my advice to anyone struggling with the races is to make sure you have the best tires allowed.

brentech

I got bronze yesterday on Monza and Nurburgring.It's not to say it didn't take me some time with each.

The run down basically was:
1st few attempts not even making it around the track.
Then a few attempts making it with about 10 seconds from the bronze time.
Then screwing up as I figure out where I can keep full throttle through turns. Bunch of attempts trimming a second off of my total time until I finally reached it.

Suzuka I only got a handful of runs in, but I'm still about 4 seconds off bronzing it and it's pretty intense because the throttle control has to be pretty pinpoint.

Monza - I think I can get gold eventually. Right now I just can't put the 2 laps together in a single run. I can get a lap down to low 1:01, but I've usually screwed up the first lap when I get it....will come in time.

-viper-

Banned
I got Bronze in Monza but I can't be fucked to go for gold or silver because I'm not consistent enough to do so.

If it was one lap, then maybe, but two? Fuck that. I make too many little mistakes and it's hard to keep the perfect driving line and stick to the perfect braking points.

kharma45

Is there any way to change in GT5 how torque is displayed from Kgf·m to lbf·ft?

I looked in the settings but it's only giving me the option to change miles into kilometers.

Hanmik

I am currently lvl. 20 in A-spec..-.. but the 2nd. seasonal races has a nascar race that demands level 21.. is there a REALLY quick way for me to go from 20 to 21..? (have finished all the other seasonal races as high as humanly possible for a old guy like me)..

-Amon-

Goldrusher said:
Too many. Although probably only 5 decent finishes. But getting to the finish is a challenge in itself.

That looks interesting, i'm at 27 a-spec, just cruising around and taking my time, but it'll be interesting for sure when i'll get there.

Hanmik said:
I am currently lvl. 20 in A-spec..-.. but the 2nd. seasonal races has a nascar race that demands level 21.. is there a REALLY quick way for me to go from 20 to 21..? (have finished all the other seasonal races as high as humanly possible for a old guy like me)..

You can redo some seasonals with SRF turned on to place higher. Or maybe grind British Lightweights? You can cheat your way around 3 laps of the Top Gear track pretty quickly.

not that I would ever do such things.... :D

Hanmik

captscience said:
You can redo some seasonals with SRF turned on to place higher. Or maybe grind British Lightweights? You can cheat your way around 3 laps of the Top Gear track pretty quickly.

SRF turned on..? what difference does that make..?

and I´m not interested in cheating my way round a track.. no thanks..

I'm trying to do the Tsukuba Circuit with the RX-7, yet it's so overpowered that it starts to drift whenever I do the slightest turns. How can I avoid that?

Hanmik said:
SRF turned on..? what difference does that make..?

and I´m not interested in cheating my way round a track.. no thanks..

Skid recovery force. It's basically easy mode. You can take corners MUCH faster. It actually feels more like cheating then cutting off a few corners!

I bought a ZR1 RM last night and did Like the Wind, blowing away the field. The car handled like a miracle...then I realized I had accidentally left SRF on. All satisfaction melted away..

vettel suzuka time down to 2'13

i can't see how i can make up 3+ seconds without cheating with skid force. any gold sector times (driver aids off except abs 1)?

-viper-

Banned
I can't complete the Nurburgring X1 challenge. It's fucking hard. Best time I've done so far is 1 min 7 seconds but I can't repeat it on the second lap. This is going to take me forever to bronze.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm generally not one to beg, but does anyone have an X1 (Prototype and/or the normal store-buying one) and Chrome Paint they'd be willing to dupe for me?

PM me if you're a kind soul. :(

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
-viper- said:
Are you using specific tuning settings for the R8? I have installed all upgrades and left the settings stock. Also, did you install the aero wing?

Nothing crazy. Left the OEM wing on, no body kits. I have the customizable suspension, some nice negative camber dialed in. Stiffened it up, and lowered it almost an inch.

Top Bottom