• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Broseybrose

cilonen said:
Nope, it's not crash damage. it's to fix chassis flex and is only really relevant after many 1000's of miles travelled.

The game models chassis flex based on distance travelled and any chassis is going to relax a tiny tiny amount after just a single mile; the game doesn't make any distinction between repairing that and repairing a warped tired chassis after 50,000 track miles so it gives you the option of restoring back to factory fresh after driving it once.

The cost is always the same, half (or is it 2/3) the cost of the car up to a maximum of 500,000 credits.

It's nothing to do with crash damage so don't worry until you can actually feel the car not holding it's lines anymore.

Engine rebuilds are much more common, do these when an oil change alone doesn't return the car to it's optimum horsepower.
Excellent! Thanks!

Niks

Why is there almost zero discussion on the course maker??

That shit is totally bonkers, the tracks ive made are incredible, really tecnical courses. Really, tilke has nothing on me.

That said, whats the point in making them if you cant race them online??

Niks said:

That shit is totally bonkers, the tracks ive made are incredible, really tecnical courses. Really, tilke has nothing on me.

That said, whats the point in making them if you cant race them online??

Errrr I thought you CAN race them online, in GT Life go to "my tracks" and select "Set for online" and it should be available in My Lounge or something. I haven't tried it so it could be just for showing them in your profile. The course that I made is really fun, fast with lots of up and downhills and sudden corners!

WanderingWind said:
Man, fuck that Volkswagon bus challenge. :lol

You'll be surprised how soon you will be able to win that with little-to-no effort at all

-Amon-

PetriP-TNT said:
Errrr I thought you CAN race them online, in GT Life go to "my tracks" and select "Set for online" and it should be available in My Lounge or something.

You can't race them online. Doing as you say makes them available for others to download and drive offline, but can't be raced online at the moment.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's so satisfying to finally get a car that allows you to compete. I love my Mustang! Driving with the wheel makes this so much better than with the sticks it's absurd. I can't go back to using a controller. I won't.

WanderingWind said:
Man, fuck that Volkswagon bus challenge. :lol

haha i felt the same way until running that track 20+times in my trek to gold the Lotus challenge. You will soon figure out the parts of the track you can overtake and be aggressive on. When going back and doing the bus challenge ,which I skipped at first, at that slow speed of the bus challenge it made for an easy gold on my 2nd attempt.

brentech

Didn't expect Vettel challenges to be easy, but on a first attempt basis it's pretty insane and will probably take me a few tries before I even hone in on bronze.

I had a good GT5 binge with my other GT5 fanatic friend over the weekend. Aside from adding a good amount of cars to my garage I was able to get the 4 hours of Nurburgring endurance race out of the way.

So, one important thing I noticed is the tire wear between racing soft and racing hard is barely different. The amount of time you gain per lap running on the softs far out weights the slightly longer stint on the hard tires. I was able to get three solid laps of the ring on softs and not quite 4 on the hards. However, in one lap of the ring on the softs, I made up enough time to warrant the extra pit stops.

I also did a stint where I saw how long I could make the softs last and I managed 4 laps with some tire to spare but had to drive so conservatively it was once again better to drive all out and replace the tires one lap sooner.

Word of caution!! Do not get caught out with less than a 1/5 of your tire health left. They turn to greased Teflon. It is fucking stupid and unrealistic. It arbitrarily forces your car to spin out no matter how easy you take it. Limping back to the pits with dead tires is one almost b-spec Historic Cup levels of frustration.

AlphaSnake said:
Just felt like sharing this with you all. Like I said earlier, made a few specific mentions of GAF.

http://www.psxextreme.com/feature/666.html
article said:
Furthermore, I find the cockpit view to be pretty pointless in a videogame, because it is simply not the best way to accurately drive in a simulator - that would be the bumper or hood cam with a Logitech steering wheel in front of you. So if I'm never even looking at the inside or outside of my car to begin with, I'm not too fanatical about how it looks.
Not bad, but he still doesn't get it. I've got no problem with GT5 being on various lists for GOTY, but dismissing criticisms out there because they don't affect how you play is kind of missing the point. Also, the updates have helped quite a bit, but if an outlet wants to base their review on the day 1 release version of the game that makes perfect sense.

For me its all about the cockpit driving experience, which leads to some disappointment. But all the same I've managed to unlock Nordschleiffe and just bought myself a Lamborghini Super Veloce and find the driving (and variety) to be near blissful, so there's that ;p

cilonen

Hear you about the tyres, got caught out at Laguna Seca by that yesterday.

The Bob Squad a.k.a. Taki Inoue's F1 All Stars have just started the Indy 500 that will take me to lv 30 B-spec and unlock the Vettel challenges, yay. My FGT has paid the price though, oil changes now only bring it up to 925/926 bhp, it'll need an engine rebuild after this.

Niks said:
Good question, and I could surely use some tips. The interface doesn't make much sense to me, as the actual layout of the track can completely transform when you make even one small change.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Niks said:

Because it isn't a true course maker.

Random designed courses that you can tweak only a few bits of. SMH Kaz. I expected a full LBP/MNR type editor. Not that. :/

TheSeks said:

Random designed courses that you can tweak only a few bits of. SMH Kaz. I expected a full LBP/MNR type editor. Not that. :/

We knew what it was WAY before the game got released, and it's still pretty awesome.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
NullPointer said:
Not bad, but he still doesn't get it. I've got no problem with GT5 being on various lists for GOTY, but dismissing criticisms out there because they don't affect how you play is kind of missing the point. Also, the updates have helped quite a bit, but if an outlet wants to base their review on the day 1 release version of the game that makes perfect sense.

For me its all about the cockpit driving experience, which leads to some disappointment. But all the same I've managed to unlock Nordschleiffe and just bought myself a Lamborghini Super Veloce and find the driving (and variety) to be near blissful, so there's that ;p

Well, I do get it. And it's not really that big of a criticism anyway. Besides, the bottom line is that it is my opinion at the end of the day. I'm just expressing my rationale and why I feel a certain way. :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fersis said:
Time for |OT3| i think.

Uh... 6K of 20K limit.

Metal said:
We knew what it was WAY before the game got released, and it's still pretty awesome.

I disagree. I still find the course creator to be dismal as I can't make corkscrews and overpasses like that one race track that's in the game.

Niks

TheSeks said:

Even if its randdom generated, the tracks im getting are really great...

Elevation changes, progressive turns, turns with negative camber, blind turns...

I wont say a full fletched track creator is not great, but what we got with gt5 is a very good/easy/fast way to create tracks.

Bobo said:
What were the "typical opponents" for this event? I hope I can do it in a M3 BMW. :D

They were the tuner cars. I think top HP was around 616HP. The Amuse S2000 was my closest competition, but I still dusted him in a near fully tuned 458. A tuned M3 should be able to win. I let my friend have a stint so I wanted to build in a margin of error if anything went wrong, which it did. Ended up lapping second place and all the other cars a few times.

To be fair, the direction at the beginning of the game is fuck awful. they didnt do a good job of pointing people in the general direction of thrills and instant gratification, they just dump a huge pile of content in your lap (with ugly GT4 material thrown in) and let you work it out. or grind to unlock it. not a good strategy for winning over ADD game reviewers.

brentech

Bronzed the first 2 Vettel challenges without too much problem, but the 3rd I only got 2 attempts on and it's looking rough. Gotta re-learn that track with the car, it's crazy.

I think I could gold the first 2 with some more work, but for now just trying complete each of the 3

Ugh... the "end" game (well, the cups before endurances) in B-spec is just torture. Played the first race of Super GT cup, 30 laps, 1 hour. and I still have 2 of those to go to get some crappy car I'll never use.

avaya

PetriP-TNT said:
Ugh... the "end" game (well, the cups before endurances) in B-spec is just torture. Played the first race of Super GT cup, 30 laps, 1 hour. and I still have 2 of those to go to get some crappy car I'll never use.

Just use the Minolta.

Anyone have a link to some tips for the 1st set of seasonal events (Suggested cars / settings / upgrades)? Not a lot of time left and I've only just got around to trying them.

On a related note, what's a good car for drifting?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Psychotext said:
Anyone have a link to some tips for the 1st set of seasonal events (Suggested cars / settings / upgrades)? Not a lot of time left and I've only just got around to trying them.

Audi R8 V10.

My God the amazing, controlled, and fun lunacy to be had with that thing modded.

brentech

Psychotext said:
Was looking at the top scores and a lot of people used the Buick '62 Special (believe that's the correct year). Had to learn about drifting and what helps - found you really want the custom transmission in order to gear it down.The final gear should be at its lowest that way you get a lot of torque on the ground.

Spent a few hours one day doing those drifting events and got a lot better after that, finally got my dream drifter trophy as well. Might be easier for others, but I normally don't care much for drifting.

Im also going to need help on the seasonal events, they be harrddd.

I tried the Fiat 500 and CRV events and got 4th and 2nd respectively. If someone can kindly link me to posts with tweaks or straight up tell me, I would appreciate it.

Damn I haven't played this game in a while, but now I'm back for good.

E: Why the heck is this in the community tab?

-viper-

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Audi R8 V10.

My God the amazing, controlled, and fun lunacy to be had with that thing modded.
The GTR feels better to drive. With the R8, I feel I have to turn more of my wheel to actually get past a corner. And I have to slow down more. :\

Top Bottom