• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Dead Man

h3ro said:
Sounds good! Let me know if you'd like to trade, I think we're on each others lists from GAF SuperGT.

You rock! Thanks bud, lemme know if there is anything I can send off your way.

Heliconsoul, sending a friend request to the PSN ID listed in your profile.
Sent, I also had the matte yellow so I sent that too.

Metalmurphy said:
Well... here's your chance :p

Tomorrow (31st) is the last day to register a lap time in NeoGAFer in a Reasonably Priced Car challenge for the month of February. Just by setting a lap you'll be eligible to win ANY purchasable Premium car as well as one of over 450+ (and growing) Standard cars. The winner and a random participant will get to choose what car they want and receive it BRAND NEW (or restored :p) at the end of the month.

Everything you need to know here:
NRPC OT

i am not that great but it sounds like a lot of fun. i will send a friend request as soon as I get home and try it out next round!

KingOfKong said:
i am not that great but it sounds like a lot of fun. i will send a friend request as soon as I get home and try it out next round!
Why wait? You can probably make it for this month too. Just name a time that works for you.

Metalmurphy said:
Why wait? You can probably make it for this month too. Just name a time that works for you.

ok i will catch up on exactly how it works on the OT and then send you a friend request when I get home. PSN name is MustacheBandit

brentech

Just finished the 4-hour 'Ring event. Only the bottom row of endurance level to complete. Not sure when/how I'll get around to that though. Will take some planning.

ErnieMcCracken said:
For those looking for the 190, PM me (PSN - ErnieMcCracken) as I have one w/ 0 miles I could get you.

You got any "spares?"
dupe? lol

I'm pretty desperate. I got X2010, F2007, F10, 787B Premium, R10 TDI, Miura Proto, among others to offer :p

fu3lfr3nzy said:
You got any "spares?"
dupe? lol

I'm pretty desperate. I got X2010, F2007, F10, 787B Premium, R10 TDI, Miura Proto, among others to offer :p
Yep. Send me a friend request. Won't be able to get it to you until tomorrow or Wed. Is the X2010 a color version (not the Vettel or Carbon)?

Found the Tommy Kaira ZZII '00 in the used car dealer last night. This was one of my favorites from GT3 and it's still great here. Think it was only like 56,000. Great power to weight ratio, especially after you pump it up to 740hp. I just wish you could change and/or paint wheels on the standard cars.

G Rom

They're talking about the only worthy 190 of course, the 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II Touring Car ! :p

Anyway, I must have some good luck with the used dealership recently as this showed up the day after I bought the 190E. :-D
5407379771_39ab3708be_b.jpg

Also, the Ford GT must be one of the first Premium Car that PD did because the car has some seriously rough edges (of course I try not to show it here but rear-view mirror is one example) :
5407989762_a04aba8bf5_b.jpg

Once you see it, you can't unsee it ! :cool:

G Rom said:
Also, the Ford GT must be one of the first Premium Car that PD did because the car has some seriously rough edges (of course I try not to show it here but rear-view mirror is one example) :
5407989762_a04aba8bf5_b.jpg

Once you see it, you can't unsee it ! :cool:

Does it look the same on the Photo Travel mode?

G Rom

Good question, I'll check later to see if that's the case. I already noticed a difference in texture quality between in-game photos and photo travel so it could be possible that a polygon bump happens too.

Dead Man

Spectral Glider said:
Found the Tommy Kaira ZZII '00 in the used car dealer last night. This was one of my favorites from GT3 and it's still great here. Think it was only like 56,000. Great power to weight ratio, especially after you pump it up to 740hp. I just wish you could change and/or paint wheels on the standard cars.
Yeah, not a fan of the gold wheels on that thing, but it is beastly, no doubt.

are there any more details on the new patch? i hope it has something to pull me back because i haven't touched the game in ages.

gt psp is much more enjoyable to play. wtf?

G Rom said:
Good question, I'll check later to see if that's the case. I already noticed a difference in texture quality between in-game photos and photo travel so it could be possible that a polygon bump happens too.

Yeah, models do look better in Photo Travel most of the time (PS4 models :p). It could just be that the FordGT got a more aggressive LOD change then other cars.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
are there any more details on the new patch? i hope it has something to pull me back because haven't touched the game in ages.

gt psp is much more enjoyable to play. wtf?
All we know is Mid February, and it will bring remote B-spec.

Also, you're insane. Start participating in some online races/leagues if you're getting bored with the SP.

Anyone else playing GT Academy?

I did not like the choice for round 2.

R34 on crappy tires and a SuperGT GTR on a Toscana made up track that´s all sorts of bad.

I thought maybe one of the 512 finalists would be here on GAF to discuss...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
seattle6418 said:
Anyone else playing GT Academy?

I did not like the choice for round 2.

R34 on crappy tires and a SuperGT GTR on a Toscana made up track that´s all sorts of bad.

I thought maybe one of the 512 finalists would be here on GAF to discuss...

Oh, there's a round 2? Is the prize for participating worth it? Round 1 was utter shit. :/

brentech

Hrm, I placed 1500 in my region for round 1, but didn't realize I'd be able to do anything for round 2. I'll have to try that sometime this week hopefully.

brentech said:
Hrm, I placed 1500 in my region for round 1, but didn't realize I'd be able to do anything for round 2. I'll have to try that sometime this week hopefully.

I don´t know if only the top 128 on each region can try, but it´s worth a look.

Round 2 just started and there´s already a huge problem: corner cutting is allowed on the track.

Guys are going nuts over this here: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=173819

Sony and Nissan need to do something.

TheSeks said:
Oh, there's a round 2? Is the prize for participating worth it? Round 1 was utter shit. :/

It appears that you win a copy of GT5 if you manage to stay on the top 16 for your region on round 2.

Yes, lol smiley insert.

Strange choice for a prize, but hey, it´s for free. I´m just doing it for fun, since i don´t live in the US anymore, but round one had some cool prizes like wheels and wheel stands.

Also, to the other question, GT Academy already had two editions in Europe. I guess the next one will be later on this year.

The big question for me is when will GT Academy come to Latin America. I think it´s the next step.

G Rom said:
Also, the Ford GT must be one of the first Premium Car that PD did because the car has some seriously rough edges (of course I try not to show it here but rear-view mirror is one example)

I'm just surprised by how many GTs are in the game. What about that test car one, that's a premium one, wonder how that looks. And then they have the 05 no stripe, the 60s original, and then the LM racing one. To me, I wish the 60s original was a premium model.

UFRA

seattle6418 said:
It appears that you win a copy of GT5 if you manage to stay on the top 16 for your region on round 2.

Yes, lol smiley insert.

Strange choice for a prize, but hey, it´s for free. I´m just doing it for fun, since i don´t live in the US anymore, but round one had some cool prizes like wheels and wheel stands.

Also, to the other question, GT Academy already had two editions in Europe. I guess the next one will be later on this year.

The big question for me is when will GT Academy come to Latin America. I think it´s the next step.

LOL that's JUST like PD.

Their car prizes reflect the same odd decisions as well.

Just won the VW Lupo race with your Lupo? Guess what...you win a VW Lupo!!! yay!!

Are you playing GT5? Well guess what...you win GT5!!!

brentech

seattle6418 said:
I don´t know if only the top 128 on each region can try, but it´s worth a look.
Comes up with a 'Must register to take part in event' screen. So it appears you can't just give it a run for shits and giggles.

cilonen said:
Yep, as Shaneus says. You can't use either of the premium Ferrari F1 cars for any A or B spec event though.

Did anyone ever get an explanation for that? I mean, the F2007 was usable in the races in Prologue so it was odd that its restricted in GT5.

Or did it have to do with Sony still having the F1 License around the time Prologue was in development?

ErnieMcCracken said:
Yep. Send me a friend request. Won't be able to get it to you until tomorrow or Wed. Is the X2010 a color version (not the Vettel or Carbon)?

I'm still 4.5m short of the 20m needed for a colored X2010 :(

The new seasonal events needs to go online already, seriously :p

offshore

fu3lfr3nzy said:
I know, yeah. Thursday is a day I now look foward to ^_^

I'm still eight million away from twenty million, but I'm hoping by the next update, Yamauchi sees the light and removes the frankly ridiculous twenty mil credit barrier. Or I suppose they'll have to raise it, as they have that "Penniless" trophy. But even thirty million would be better than nothing. It's so stupid.

fu3lfr3nzy said:
I'm still 4.5m short of the 20m needed for a colored X2010 :(

No worries. R10 TDI sounds cool.

The UCD is killing me again lately. Ford AU 2000 Falcon XR8 & Volkswagen W12 Nardo Concept ‘01 (almost $2M each). Honda HSC, Nissan OPTION Stream Z ‘04 (this thing has 795hp!) & HKS GENKI HYPER SILVIA RS2 (D1GP) ‘04. Back to the grind...

The January 2011 NPRC has ended, and here are the final lap times:
Daihatsu Copen Active Top '02 [63 BHP]
1BiTb.png

(click lap times to download the replay file)
dQ8uk.png

2Invu.png
lKuQ7.png

8z5K6.png
5HI2i.png

EmB2l.png
WlTh9.png

L9TAh.png
5ThpI.png

c9BL6.png
OZy1u.png

And, using a random generator, the random winner for this month is.....
http://www.random.org/lists/?mode=advanced said:
There were 3 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

1. Brentech
2. TheSeks
3. SunhiLegend

Timestamp: 2011-02-01 01:28:38 UTC
BRENTECH!

So congratulations to both UFRA and Brentech.

Here are UFRA (left) and Brentech (right) prize cars:

The car for this months NRPC will be announced soon. Hopefully we'll get more people participating now that we're giving away prizes.

CozMick

Banned
Races with more than 20 laps are absolutely bonkers!

I bought the Formula GT which was the biggest rush I've ever had in a video game (4.8 mill + 1 mill overhaul WOW!) only to find out it is far and beyond anything I can handle with my DFGT, and to top that off I have to compete in multiple races with 20+ laps.

Are there any tweaks that can be made to make those races winnable?

I can get to first place by purely muscling my way through the pack but keeping the top spot is insane.

Shaneus

I haven't raced those races (fuck that) but while messing around with the FGT, try max downforce, racing softs and keep your speed as high as possible around corners. The slower you go around a corner, the less downforce (and grip) you'll have. You'll be surprised just how fast you can go around some of the tighter bends in that thing.

brentech

CozMick said:
Races with more than 20 laps are absolutely bonkers!

I bought the Formula GT which was the biggest rush I've ever had in a video game (4.8 mill + 1 mill overhaul WOW!) only to find out it is far and beyond anything I can handle with my DFGT, and to top that off I have to compete in multiple races with 20+ laps.

Are there any tweaks that can be made to make those races winnable?

I can get to first place by purely muscling my way through the pack but keeping the top spot is insane.
This is a copy and paste job. Not my work, just something I found on GTPlanet.
He apparently made this for B-Spec, but it works extremely well in A-Spec as well. Generally you'll overtake faster than he says, but if not, don't worry. There was a few where I took the lead later in the race. Worked great.
Race 1

Front Downforce - 70
Rear Downforce - 90
Front Breaks - 4
Rear Breaks - 1
Front Ride Height - 5
Rear Ride Height - 5
Transmission/ Top Speed - 261MPH
Spring Rate Front - 17.5
Spring Rate Rear - 17.5
Extension Dampers Front - 8
Extension Dampers Rear - 8
Compression Dampers Front - 6
Compression Dampers Rear - 6

You will gain most of your positions towards the end of the straight, while maintaining a solid pace through the bends. It should take you about 4-8 laps to take first place.

Race 2

Front Downforce - 70
Rear Downforce - 90
Front Breaks - 4
Rear Breaks - 1
Front Ride Height - 5
Rear Ride Height - 5
Transmission/ Top Speed - 249MPH
Spring Rate Front - 17.5
Spring Rate Rear - 17.5

Again you will gain most of your positions towards the end of the straight, while maintaining a solid pace through the bends. You will hit the rev limit just before the end of the straight. It should take you about 4-8 laps to take first place.

Race 3

Front Downforce - 70
Rear Downforce - 90
Front Breaks - 7
Rear Breaks - 2
Front Ride Height - -10
Rear Ride Height - -10
Transmission/ Top Speed - 199MPH
Spring Rate Front - 18.5
Spring Rate Rear - 18.5

Wow, this one is a ball ache, but with such a low gear ratio you will overtake on the short straights and through the tight corners. I had 3rd on lap 2, but first place didnt come till i was on lap 7 but then run away with it for the rest of the race. I also upped the breaks for this race. Twice in testing, the AI spun out and caused a pile up, which can be a bit of a nightmare to come back from, but its still possible.

Race 4

Front Downforce - 70
Rear Downforce - 90
Front Breaks - 7
Rear Breaks - 2
Front Ride Height - -10
Rear Ride Height - -10
Transmission/ Top Speed - 236MPH
Spring Rate Front - 18.5
Spring Rate Rear - 18.5

This one is childs play. I used the same setup as race 3 but upped the top speed. I pushed my guy too hard on lap 1 and he spun off 3 times. but he took first again before the end of lap 2. Simples

Race 5

Front Downforce - 70
Rear Downforce - 90
Front Breaks - 3
Rear Breaks - 1
Front Ride Height - -10
Rear Ride Height - -10
Spring Rate Front - 18.5
Spring Rate Rear - 18.5

Another easy race, you can have first place within 2 laps, there are loads of good straights to take places on this race.

Race 6

Front Downforce - 70
Rear Downforce - 90
Front Breaks - 3
Rear Breaks - 1
Front Ride Height - -10
Rear Ride Height - -10
Spring Rate Front - 18.5
Spring Rate Rear - 18.5

CozMick

Banned
@ Shaneus and brentech.

Thanks for the information guys, appreciate it.

Gonna give it a rest for the night as my nerves and reaction speed are shot to shit (2am here :p) but I'll defintely use those settings in the morning.

Thanks again ;)

Shaneus

Brentech's advice is quite specific, mine's more general :) Same goes for a lot of other cars, too... but applies most of all to the FGT as it's a relatively light car to other similar-powered ones.

Finished buying the last of the premium cars. Only missing the gold rank X2010 (hah, never getting that one!) and the stealth cars, which I assume I can never get.

Will take an eternity to do the same for the standard cars.

Wendo

Vasectomember
I'm having a hell of a time with my Logitech Force GT. After playing with it for hours, I went back to a Dual Shock and all of a sudden my driving improved dramatically. I mentioned this to a friend who said that it was probably because I had to drive in 900 degree mode.

I'm not sure if this has been covered in the 500+ pages before, but is there a way to fix this? I'm reading online that Polyphony doesn't give you the option of a 200 degree steering lock?

I'm a bit upset because I understood that the wheel would make for a more realistic and accurate driving experience, when in fact it feels just the opposite. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Shaneus

Psychotext said:
Finished buying the last of the premium cars. Only missing the gold rank X2010 (hah, never getting that one!) and the stealth cars, which I assume I can never get.

Will take an eternity to do the same for the standard cars.
Wait... you've been buying (or winning) all the premium cars? Bravo, my good man... amazing effort.

TTG

CozMick said:
@ Shaneus and brentech.

Thanks for the information guys, appreciate it.

Gonna give it a rest for the night as my nerves and reaction speed are shot to shit (2am here :p) but I'll defintely use those settings in the morning.

Thanks again ;)

eh, look, there's only one thing to "tune" and that's to switch skid recovery force on. Not saying the tune above won't help, but that aid will make all the difference. I can appreciate the challenge of the fgt championship, but that's what I went to in the end(that is, my second try lol). With the way Polyphony has it structured, the chances of wasting hours of racing because someone hit you or you put a wheel on the grass one too many times is not worth it for me. I think I ended up retiring out of 2 tracks(monaco and suzuka) and still won gold.

Just wait till you hit the Zombie Vettel Challenge, save your efforts for that!

As a side note, looking back at it now, I(along with a bunch of other posters) was cursing this challenge for any number of things back in the first OT. Now that I'm aware of the problem Polyphony had with the F1 license, things get a little clearer. I imagine the original intent wasn't to just make the player refresh the used car lot over and over again(remember there was no online dealer back then) but to simply require the F10 or F2007 for the race.

offshore

Psychotext said:
I might read the info on them one day... but no, would take forever to actually drive them all.
I think it just proves that they really didn't need to put the standard cars in the game. Once you start buying the premium cars in earnest, it becomes more than obvious that 220 premiums is absolutely fine, and there was no need for the standards.

Too bad Yamauchi didn't feel the same.

Top Bottom