• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Think I'mma gonna buy that Bently. How much is it in the used car lot generally?

But first I need to get the seasonals done. But that's later today. And then SuperGT practice. *siiigh*

Psychotext said:
Getting this "Air of experience" trophy is taking forever. :(

Isn't it B-spec level? I know there's one for driver level and A/B-spec level 40. Which are all insane given the small EXP given per event.

It's worse than that, the guides I've read point to it being 500 days (some say that means races) of use for your driver. My driver hit 40 about 5 days of races ago.

suzuki cappucino is sweeeet. who would have guessed, only Ferrari 430 challenge left to do and X2010 challenge is miiiiiiine

edit: lol, my brother just reversed the whole last lap of the Roadster challenge

X2010 is awesome! First try: 5 seconds -> on my roof
2nd try -> 5 seconds -> on my roof
3rd try -> finished the race 33 seconds behind bronze time

Can't wait to try this more

Oh and this guy is stalking me on Trial Mountain :/

YEu7T.jpg

oh, they finally allow RM cars in the seasonal events :)
There are no restrictions anyway and while I already have all RM cars, I need an excuse to actually drive some them ^^

Antagon

Those seasonal events seem ridiculous. Just did my first one, with a 207 that I used before for some amateur events. Tuned the 207 to be comparable to the other cars in the European Hatchback races, then went to the seasonal event and won it. It was actually easier then the races I did before and I got 3 lvls (12-15) and 150k for it.

KingOfKong said:
The seasonals keep getting easier. I really wish they would have restrictions on some of them like the first bonus races were.

Don't change oil, don't use race tires, don't upgrade. They're quite fun that way.

brentech

Metalmurphy said:
Don't change oil, don't use race tires, don't upgrade. They're quite fun that way.
Seriously, you can have your cake and eat it too!
If you want the challenge, then just don't make it easy...
The first challenges you could only get a Sports Air filter on the car, if anything. Stick with that mindset and you have what you want. Others may not want to go that route. No reason to limit it to one way or the other...

Oh, and since in the last few days I was getting all the RM cars available. I decided to just use them this week on said seasonals. The Corvette was particularly fun. Basically drifted the car through all the turns - was fun as hell to drive.

-links to other recent photos I've taken.

Problem is, now they've removed the restrictions we have absolutely no idea what they've balanced the race to. Some of the old ones you wouldn't beat without pretty much exactly everything you were allowed to upgrade... upgraded. Try one of those without the appropriate upgrades and you could race for a week solid and probably not get 1st place.

I'm not going to arbitrarily try to restrict myself if it's just going to end in frustration from an impossible challenge.

That said, all I did this week is put sports tires on and it was still too easy for most of them.

Shaneus

brentech said:
Seriously, you can have your cake and eat it too!
If you want the challenge, then just don't make it easy...
The first challenges you could only get a Sports Air filter on the car, if anything. Stick with that mindset and you have what you want. Others may not want to go that route. No reason to limit it to one way or the other...

Oh, and since in the last few days I was getting all the RM cars available. I decided to just use them this week on said seasonals. The Corvette was particularly fun. Basically drifted the car through all the turns - was fun as hell to drive.

http://nitefirestudios.com/p_images/external/GT5/Vette_Race-EXT1s.jpg[IMG][/URL]
-links to other recent photos I've taken.[/QUOTE]
Be sure to paint that RM Vette black... the black front and the silver back look amazing.

Dibbz

Seasonal events this week were fun. Liked the Ferrari the most. I was shocked at how good it actually drives. Back doesn't kick out at all and just glues to the road. Changed my wheels on it though think it looks nice.

5393874257_be58fb026e_b.jpg

5393874263_22bd70bdfb_b.jpg

-viper-

Banned
I agree - it handles beautifully. Incredible car. Better handling than the 458 Italia - my Italia is fully upgraded but handles really, really bad. It slides far too easily and spins. Even on High Speed Ring. :\

Dibbz

For some reason I was under the impression that the Italia was the best handling Ferrari but the Scuderia just blows it away. Still love my Italia though. :D

UFRA

A lot of GAF really hyped the 458.

I always kept quiet in the shadows, but I always thought the F430 Scuderia was better. :p

It really is a joy to drive.

Metalmurphy said:

true, i guess i really only have myself to blame. i just don't have the willpower to leave it stock! i want a babysitter to not allow me too upgrade :)

Psychotext said:
Problem is, now they've removed the restrictions we have absolutely no idea what they've balanced the race to. Some of the old ones you wouldn't beat without pretty much exactly everything you were allowed to upgrade... upgraded. Try one of those without the appropriate upgrades and you could race for a week solid and probably not get 1st place.

I'm not going to arbitrarily try to restrict myself if it's just going to end in frustration from an impossible challenge.

That said, all I did this week is put sports tires on and it was still too easy for most of them.

actually exactly what I meant but you articulated it better then I could have.

jey_16

Banned
I can't believe that the scuderia is better then the 458? My 458 is tuned (except for the racing exhaust, I hate the engine note with it fitted) but it still sticks to the track like glue, probably my favorite car in the game

I wish I hadn't put the colored carbon bonnet on it though, those clips ruin the look of the front end.....

TTG

jey_16 said:
I can't believe that the scuderia is better then the 458? My 458 is tuned (except for the racing exhaust, I hate the engine note with it fitted) but it still sticks to the track like glue, probably my favorite car in the game

I haven't driven mine in a while, but I remember really loving the 458, one of my favorite cars. I did the ferrari challenge with no power upgrades at all, that was fun. I'll have to buy another one just to keep it relatively stock, I hate that you can't get it back to the way it was.

EDIT: yep, like the stock 458 better. My scud is permanently borked with third stage weight reduction and 2nd stage engine tuning, so that might contribute, but still. When the 458 steps out of line, it's the most predictable, perfectly controlled slide in GT5.

Dead Man

UFRA said:

I always kept quiet in the shadows, but I always thought the F430 Scuderia was better. :p

Same. :)

jey_16 said:

I wish I hadn't put the colored carbon bonnet on it though, those clips ruin the look of the front end.....
The Italia is faster, I think, but the balance on the Scud is amazing.

TTG

I'm bored, top 5 cars that I've owned, in no particular order:

HDi FAP
Zonda R
Mclaren F1
458 Italia
C6 Z06 Vette

Honorable mentions: GTR in both stock, Spec-V and Super GT variations. I thought something slower would stick out, like an M car, but not really. I did really like the Golf GTI around the ring challenge and the Mustang around Laguna Seca, both are great. Veyron is really fun against Le Mans prototypes on the right track. I wish the Lambos drove better. I left the X1 out, it's actually a lot of fun to drive, but it's not comparable.

Dead Man

TTG said:
I'm bored, top 5 cars that I've owned, in no particular order:

HDi FAP
Zonda R
Mclaren F1 GTR
458 Italia
C6 Z06 Vette

Honorable mentions: GTR in both stock, Spec-V and Super GT variations. I thought something slower would stick out, like an M car, but not really. I did really like the Golf GTI around the ring challenge and the Mustang around Laguna Seca, both are great. Veyron is really fun against Le Mans prototypes on the right track. I wish the Lambos drove better. I left the X1 out, it's actually a lot of fun to drive, but it's not comparable.
Hmmm... top 5.

In no particular order:
Furai
M3 CSL
RS4 Avant
NSX-R
F430 Scud

All the cars seem to be better balanced than in GT4, so many that were dogs in 4 or very drivable in 5 (see Ford GT). Not sure if it's realistic, but as long as they retain some flavour I'm all for it.

darkwing

i had it all wrong, the F430 is better in handling than the Italia , but then again, i was max HPing the 458, probably wrong in the first place lols

offshore

Dammit, still 200k XP short of level 30. Guess the X2010 will have to wait till next week.

Anyone bought that ten million Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ2? I know I'm buying a slice of history but still; ten million credits for around 170 horses is a little steep :p

UFRA said:

I enjoy it myself, but I just cant get over the sensation of the Enzo. Handles worse than the 458 and Sccuderia, but I cant stop driving it.

offshore said:
Dammit, still 200k XP short of level 30. Guess the X2010 will have to wait till next week.

Anyone bought that ten million Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ2? I know I'm buying a slice of history but still; ten million credits for around 170 horses is a little steep :p

That Alfa is one of my favorite cars to drive, light and nimble. It's my go to car for a fun turn around the ring. It can easily beat out cars with much more power.

You can also win it in the Historic B Spec race, though that's a pain.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
My top 5 so far is (all stock, no RMs):

Alfa 155 DTM and Mercedes 190E EvoII - cars do not get much better than that.
M3 GTR & CSL
JZA80 JGTC
787B
Speed 6

Yeah, some of them are purebred racers, but still "stock" :D

Melfice7 said:
Best Ferrari is the 512 screw the haters :>
Hear, hear.

offshore

captscience said:
That Alfa is one of my favorite cars to drive, light and nimble. It's my go to car for a fun turn around the ring. It can easily beat out cars with much more power.
Now I'm tempted to buy it. Ten million though :(

My current top 5 would be

GT-Four Celica Rally Car '95
SLS AMG
F430 Scuderia
Focus RS WRC
Viper ACR

...I'm a sucker for Viper's. It's always been tradition that the first "proper" car I buy in GT is a Viper as soon as I can afford one.

Antagon

Just did some races with a stock e-type coupe ´61. Such an awesome car, shame it´s a standard model. Seems to be great for drifting, did a full 270 degrees drift in the uphill turn at autumn ring mini.

My favourite car so far is one that probably wouldn't come to mind for most...

MUGEN MOTUL CIVIC Si Race Car '87

There's something about the way it handles that makes it better to drive than pretty much any other car I've used in the game. The feeling of grip through the corners is immense and you pretty much know exactly when you can feed in the power or have to back off a bit. Great little car. Obviously better suited to circuits without insanely long straights though.

Psychotext said:
My favourite car so far is one that probably wouldn't come to mind for most...

MUGEN MOTUL CIVIC Si Race Car '87

That's probably my favorite FF car. You feel like you can really attack corners in it.

Other favs:

Amuse S2000 GT1
Lotus Elise '96 RM
Honda NSX R
Alfa Giulia TZ2

For fun, my fully tuned Fiat 500 '68 is pretty awesome. And I love trying to get the stock Yellowbird around the Ring. One of these days I'm going to get a clean lap....

Zaphod

Psychotext said:

I know what you mean. The way I do a bonus race now is I will run a full race stock to gauge where I think the car may be lacking. Then I upgrade the minimum I think it will take to win. It's not perfect but I enjoy it.

Shaneus

They need to fix it by restricting something different. Rather than restrict the car, restrict the power! So you can use any fucking car you want, but, say, no greater than 400bhp. Use a worked Supra, detuned Ferrari, whatever. Promote creativity, not restrict it ffs.

Shaneus said:
They need to fix it by restricting something different. Rather than restrict the car, restrict the power! So you can use any fucking car you want, but, say, no greater than 400bhp. Use a worked Supra, detuned Ferrari, whatever. Promote creativity, not restrict it ffs.
I'm against this.

I actually like they they make you use specific cars. Makes me try cars that I otherwise wouldn't. I still think they should add tire and power restrictions though.

Shaneus

You're against encouraging people tuning their own cars to win a seasonal? I'd much prefer that than forcing them to buy a car then restricting what they can do with it.

Schmitty

Oh why does my bore spec driver insist on braking around Daytona bends in the pick up challenge when it is totally unnecessary?

Antagon

The cappuccino event is great. It's a fun little car. I need to get a bit better at the game though, got it tuned to about 75hp now and put on sports softs and I still finish around 4 seconds behind the first.

TTG

Shaneus said:
You're against encouraging people tuning their own cars to win a seasonal? I'd much prefer that than forcing them to buy a car then restricting what they can do with it.

I see his point, the GT5 library is huge and varied... and A-spec really sucked at displaying that variety. The more Polyphony can push the player to try stuff they wouldn't otherwise, the better. I'm actually finding the middle of the road stuff like the Ford GT and 8C events a little boring, because I've driven that type of car enough. Throw me the electric cars and NASCARs on the 'ring, the wackier the better.

Top Bottom