• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ahh, Group C on the 'ring, in the rain. Sublime.

ps: PD really need to be more careful with the QA - Chaparral 2J was not part of the 'Can-Nam' series, contrary to what the X2010 info blurb says. Actually, I don't thing there ever was any Canadian-Vietnamese racing series.

TTG

Ground through indi 500 to get the Jaguar XJ13, man endurance races are dull. Absolute gem of a car though, couldn't stop looking around the cabin. All the little stamps on who made what, the gauges, that engine! I was also lucky enough to win 2 P4 Ferrari's in 2 different prize tickets, so I'm now only missing the Ford. If anyone is interested in a P4 and is willing to give up a Mark IV, let me know.

Shaneus said:
What happens when you run out? I've never been game enough to test.
Your car goes into "limp home" mode. I think it basically tops out at something like 40mph. Fun if you're doing Nordschleife.

TTG

Boo, where's my seasonal update? I'm sitting at 13 mil, just want a little cushion to buy a f2007 and still have some money left to fuck around.

Lack of seasonals is making me realise how much I look forward to them every week. Hopefully we'll get a point to point rally seasonal judging by the OCD.

After looking for a good couple of weeks I am totally desperate for either a Toyota 7 or Chap 2J for the historical. Does any kind soul have either they could send me please? I have a decent array of toys if anyone wants one in return.

Dead Man

heliconsoul said:
Lack of seasonals is making me realise how much I look forward to them every week. Hopefully we'll get a point to point rally seasonal judging by the OCD.

After looking for a good couple of weeks I am totally desperate for either a Toyota 7 or Chap 2J for the historical. Does any kind soul have either they could send me please? I have a decent array of toys if anyone wants one in return.
I have both, but you'll need to wait a day since I already gifted a car today.

Dead Man

cilonen said:
Someone just tweeted Kaz if the new seasonals would be up soon.

He replied "A little break".

Hmmmm.
Source? GRRRRR if true right after announcing the bloody schedule. It's like they are trying to make me resent the game.

X-Frame

That blows. Didn't Kaz think it might've been a good idea to release an update about this BEFORE everyone started waiting for them?

X-Frame said:
That blows. Didn't Kaz think it might've been a good idea to release an update about this BEFORE everyone started waiting for them?

No, because PD is run by retards. With the biggest of all heading up the lot and tweeting about how his lunch box sent him magical fun feelings instead of supporting his piece of shit game.

Dead Man

X-Frame said:
This is Kaz you are talking about, the worlds richest sufferer of autism.

Angst

Mush said:
IT MEANS IT'S PATCH TIME, FUCKERS

No, it's not :(
Patch will be in the middle of the next Super GT race, shutting down all active servers and forcing us to download 1.3 GB to resume the race.

:\

Angst

PetriP-TNT said:
1,3gb = 3 minutes

scandinavia superiority 8)
Not if the file is hosted on Kaz's private Japanese server. Gotta keep the speed down so the servers don't get hot and ruin his wine stash. :p

LOL Polyphony...

On February 2nd we had changed the GT Academy Round 2-1 course to the Eifel, due to corners being cut by some players on the original Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course. However we have found that it is also possible to achieve faster lap times on the new track by cutting corners and driving the car against the walls.

Though it is unfortunate to have to do this for the second time, to make it FAIR for all participants we have again chosen different tracks for the competition. The rankings for Round 2 and the Total Rankings have been reset again following this change. The end date of the competition will remain the same (Feb 6).

We truly apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused all of you who are participating in Round 2. We hope you continue to enjoy GT Academy.

Story right here: http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/academy/d5531.html

----------------------------

The real question should be why does the "real driving simulator" has physics that allow you to go faster on the grass.

Now people have three days to run the competition.

What a mess.

Dead Man

seattle6418 said:
LOL Polyphony...

Story right here: http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/academy/d5531.html

----------------------------

The real question should be why does the "real driving simulator" has physics that allow you to go faster on the grass.

Now people have three days to run the competition.

What a mess.
In their defence, there are a lot of circuits where you could go faster cutting corner, that is why the chicanes and curbing are changed so often. Of course, they should have picked a track this was not possible on in the first place.

offshore

However we have found that it is also possible to achieve faster lap times on the new track by cutting corners and driving the car against the walls.
01laugh.gif
01laugh.gif
01laugh.gif
01laugh.gif
01laugh.gif
01laugh.gif
01laugh.gif
01laugh.gif
01laugh.gif

Are they now just clocking on to a 15 year flaw in GT games?

Metalmurphy said:
huh...? It's faster cause they just cut the corners, not because the grass makes you faster... it obviously doesn't.

It does, with the proper setup.

Grab the X2010 and go to the Indy oval track.

Run the car on the back stretch, watch the top speed.

Run the car on the Grass, and watch the top speed.

I got 472kpm on the grass and 457 on the tarmac. (my car needs all kinds of maitenence, but you get the point).

Grass were not just been used for cutting corners, but also for getting higher speeds.

Dead Man

seattle6418 said:

I got 472kpm on the grass and 457 on the tarmac. (my car needs all kinds of maitenence, but you get the point).

Grass were not just been used for cutting corners, but also for getting higher speeds.
Wow.

seattle6418 said:

Tested it on a Zonda. 300Km/h on the road, almost 290 on the grass Km/h. Not to mention that it is pretty much uncontrollable on anything other then in a straight line. Also if you watch the youtube videos on how people were cheating it was clearly through cutting corners and not by gaining speed on the grass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQK3eWW55Bs#t=1m30s

AndyD

aka andydumi
seattle6418 said:

Some cars do go faster off track on grass in real life.

I forget which F1 driver said once you are off the road into the grass, the carefully controlled air flow beneath the car is ruined and not only can you not control the car but it often speeds up due to lack of downforce and proper ground effect. This also happens in LeMans cars. He said that's one of the reasons for "ugly" sand traps instead rather than "pretty" grass runoff.

Not saying its accurate in GT5, only that going into a grass area off track does not mean automatic slowdown, particularly at high speeds in a superlight car.

4IIZY.png

- What are the prizes?
At the end of the month, the NeoGAFer with the fastest time, as well as a randomly selected participant, will be allowed to choose ANY purchasable premium car, as well as a limited list of standard cars (I don't have them all yet :p), to receive as a prize.
Craving for that F1 car? Here's your chance to get it!​

- How do I submit my time:
Everything you need to know is on the NRPC OT

- The reasonably priced car for this month (February 2011):
CeNLt.jpg

Volkswagen Golf IV GTI '01 [143 BHP]
1BiTb.png

Shaneus

gutterboy44 said:
Glad to see GT getting a bit more public humiliation. They need it. They need a massive fire lit under their ass.
Yeah, should definitely light a fire under their asses. The fact that you can get a better lap time by actually wallriding and cutting corners is ridiculous. I'm also surprised there's no way for them to detect (and disqualify) when a driver does that. Other games do.

So, what track have they settled on now... Daytona Speedway? Indy oval?

Shaneus said:
Yeah, should definitely light a fire under their asses. The fact that you can get a better lap time by actually wallriding and cutting corners is ridiculous. I'm also surprised there's no way for them to detect (and disqualify) when a driver does that. Other games do.

There is and they do. Your laps get disqualified if you cut corners or hit the rails in Time Trial mode.

Also, the purpose cutting corners, anywhere, is to be faster. It works everywhere...

Alright GT-Gaf I have an extremely stupid question. Keep in mind I'm not into the specifics of cars that much, just enjoy racing so pardon me if this is a retarded question but I'm sure someone else knows.

Anyway I bought a car (nissan gt-r if that matters) and I spent about 115K upgrading it. It was a fucking MONSTER. But then when I got myself another 100K I wanted to finish the upgrade. Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm doing so when I say upgrade, it entails just going into the tuning and pretty much getting everything and anything that sounds good/increases horsepower. But After that second round of upgrading I wanted to test out my upgraded monsterx2 so I do a normal race on the speedway because it's easy to pick up speed there, anyway my car all of a sudden won't fucking budge off of 189mph or whatever When before that upgrade it was going up as much as it could past 200 and on. And it makes this loud sound as well.

So what did I add that I shouldn't have and how do I take it away :(

-Pyromaniac- said:
Alright GT-Gaf I have an extremely stupid question. Keep in mind I'm not into the specifics of cars that much, just enjoy racing so pardon me if this is a retarded question but I'm sure someone else knows.

Anyway I bought a car (nissan gt-r if that matters) and I spent about 115K upgrading it. It was a fucking MONSTER. But then when I got myself another 100K I wanted to finish the upgrade. Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm doing so when I say upgrade, it entails just going into the tuning and pretty much getting everything and anything that sounds good/increases horsepower. But After that second round of upgrading I wanted to test out my upgraded monsterx2 so I do a normal race on the speedway because it's easy to pick up speed there, anyway my car all of a sudden won't fucking budge off of 189mph or whatever When before that upgrade it was going up as much as it could past 200 and on. And it makes this loud sound as well.

So what did I add that I shouldn't have and how do I take it away :(

Does it reach 189 and goes down then up again? Or it simply can't go any faster? If it's the prior then you need to change the transmission settings.

If not then it's possible you actually installed an upgrade that is worst then what you had. For example you can't have Turbocharges and supercharges. You can re-equip stuff on the car settings menu.

Metalmurphy said:
Does it reach 189 and goes down then up again? Or it simply can't go any faster? If it's the prior then you need to change the transmission settings.

If not then it's possible you actually installed an upgrade that is worst then what you had. For example you can't have Turbocharges and supercharges. You can re-equip stuff on the car settings menu.
It won't go past 189 it just stays consistent at that speed while making this loud sound like the car is going out of its way not go faster :(

Angst

-Pyromaniac- said:
It won't go past 189 it just stays consistent at that speed while making this loud sound like the car is going out of its way not go faster :(
Just raise the top speed in the transmission settings. If you can't do that - get a custom transmission, allowing you to change the top speed.

Ah you guys were right, I went into my custom transmission thing and changed it from what it was to 273 which seems to be the highest. 842 HP goodness. Here she is :')

fCjqB.jpg

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Time for the daily 'WTF, PD, proofread your shit!' emission:

Apparently ACURA DN-X (a hybrid concept car) has the amazing fuel efficiency of ..

999.0l/100km

dr-evil.jpg

Top Bottom