• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

blu said:
Time for the daily 'WTF, PD, proofread your shit!' emission:

Apparently ACURA DN-X (a hybrid concept car) has the amazing fuel efficiency of ..

999.0l/100km

Wait... so it needs almost 1 litre of fuel for each km travelled? :O

Shaneus

Metalmurphy said:
There is and they do. Your laps get disqualified if you cut corners or hit the rails in Time Trial mode.

Also, the purpose cutting corners, anywhere, is to be faster. It works everywhere...
Yeah, I thought they did... so why the issue with GT Academy? I don't even know what it is... a time trial or a race against others? With either, won't all drivers be doing the same thing?

brentech

Shaneus said:
Yeah, I thought they did... so why the issue with GT Academy? I don't even know what it is... a time trial or a race against others? With either, won't all drivers be doing the same thing?
They're just time trials still at this point. Exactly like if you selected time trials on arcade mode, except some locked settings like 'no ASM, no driving line, etc., etc.
I think it turns into actual races later on, but I could be wrong.
Either way, I have not tested if it doesn't flag during the normal time trial mode.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Psychotext said:
Wait... so it needs almost 1 litre of fuel for each km travelled? :O
More like 10 litres per kilometer ; )

KillerAJD

Man, playing online with randoms is such a hit or miss experience. It doesn't help that since my internet is down for the foreseeable future, my neighbor is letting me use his. It's so frustrating being kicked out of a decent group of guys and not being able to rejoin them, and then having to join another race and the host then decides because I'm driving as Dale Jr. that I deserve to be booted. I don't even like Nascar! I just want to race something :( Anybody want to send me a friend invite? I can't guarantee when I'll be on, but when I am, I want to race with people that I know won't be assholes, lol. PSN is KillerAJD.

Agreed, they also lack variety sometimes. The average serverlist after request...

Nurb
Nurb
Nurb
Nascar Mics PLZ
Nurb
Drag/SSR7
Nurb
Nurb
No RM/LM.. Nurb
Nurb
Nascar Mics or BOOT
Nascar... amerikuh F'yeah
Nurb
*The Gem*
Nurb

You get the idea. Most of my online racing has taken place on Nurb/The 'Ring, etc. Once in a while I find a GREAT host/room. I usually try to stay as long as possible. I sometimes add the host to my FL if the room is awesome.

But yeah, racing online can be Hit or Miss -- which can be a downer sometimes.

UFRA

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Agreed, they also lack variety sometimes. The average serverlist after request...

Nurb
Nurb
Nurb
Nascar Mics PLZ
Nurb
Drag/SSR7
Nurb
Nurb
No RM/LM.. Nurb
Nurb
Nascar Mics or BOOT
Nascar... amerikuh F'yeah
Nurb
*The Gem*
Nurb

You get the idea. Most of my online racing has taken place on Nurb/The 'Ring, etc. Once in a while I find a GREAT host/room. I usually try to stay as long as possible. I sometimes add the host to my FL if the room is awesome.

But yeah, racing online can be Hit or Miss -- which can be a downer sometimes.

So true. I've also come across some major Super GT addicts. During a few of our practices some randoms added me and I accepted since they were good drivers. Some of them ended up PM'ing me EVERY DAY on PSN that a Super GT room was up...I mean damn. I love Super GT cars but that's not the ONLY thing I want to drive all the time.

What's wrong with GT5 players? It's like they can only stick to one thing. Nurburgring only. Nascar only. Karts only. Drag racing only. Ugh...

Anyone here willing to race for the NeoGAF Racing League as a substitute driver?

We currently need 3 drivers and the race will be at this time:

We don't need it anymore.

avaya

Metalmurphy said:
Anyone here willing to race for the NeoGAF Racing League as a substitute driver?

We currently need 3 drivers and the race will be at this time:

t1296957600z0.png

Will be there but for Parabolica!

avaya

No no, you guys drive. Will only participate if one of you guys don't have to drop out

MM, I will register a car in the next couple of hours.

Started to play GT5 again. Wanted to do the Bonus Races. Tuned the Cappuchino I already owned. Spend quite much money. Realised that it's the wrong version of the car. Shut PS3 off.

:/

offshore

Patrick Bateman said:
Started to play GT5 again. Wanted to do the Bonus Races. Tuned the Cappuchino I already owned. Spend quite much money. Realised that it's the wrong version of the car. Shut PS3 off.

:/
This is why you should frequently backup your GT5 save and then if you fuck up just restore it.

Dartastic

I started to play again last night. Noticed that I didn't have much money, and so I started to try and do some races. Noticed that they were all incredibly restrictive as to which car I needed. So I went and tried to do my iC license. Did a couple, wished I was racing, turned it off and went back to Dead Space. I wish this game was more open ended, at least at the beginning; it's extremely frustrating. Especially as someone who wants to play this game more casually. The GT mode is a mess.

blu

Just wanted to express my admiration for the camera work at Road Course Daytona - best replay cameras in the game, bar none. Just take a Group C to the track and keep a good racing line. Then watch the replay - inspirational!

Home straight now, 97 cars to go. Also, apparently...

Psychotext owns 942 models in his mygranturismo.net garage. Before tuning, the value of his garage reaches 442,264,345 Cr, the total weight of 1,171,755 kg, and the cumulative power 283,754 BHP. By selling all his sellable models, he would earn 14,626,421 Cr.

lol... $14m back out of $442m. :O

offshore said:
I don't understand why some cars don't have a resale value. Makes no sense.
PD are fucking odd. They specifically avoid making certain aspects too "gamey" and then do something like that.

UFRA

Does anyone know:

If you copy/paste a GT5 save from a USB stick onto your PS3 and it overwrites your current GT5 save, will it disable you from getting trophies?

I did a data transfer utility from my old PS3 to new PS3 and somehow my GT5 photos are all gone, but everything else is there.

Before I did the transfer I backed up my GT5 save on a USB stick. I want to try and put that save back on my PS3 in hopes the pics will be salvaged.

UFRA said:
Does anyone know:

If you copy/paste a GT5 save from a USB stick onto your PS3 and it overwrites your current GT5 save, will it disable you from getting trophies?

I did a data transfer utility from my old PS3 to new PS3 and somehow my GT5 photos are all gone, but everything else is there.

Before I did the transfer I backed up my GT5 save on a USB stick. I want to try and put that save back on my PS3 in hopes the pics will be salvaged.
I believe those are saved in the GAMEDATA, and not the SAVEDATA.

Another noob question, what's the best possible car you can get in level 14/15? By best I mean all-round not so hard to handle but also great performance. I was thinking a Lamborghini or the first Mclaren but I'm not sure.

TTG

MiniBossBattle said:
Jeez, how long is the F1 championship in B-Spec going to take me?! I am on my second race and it feels like an hour already.

I'm thinking about doing this and the NASCAR championship, just to clean up on the stuff I hadn't finished yet. Just got an LFA as my level 13 ticket from B-spec, so I'm feeling like I could get something good from the extreme! The only problem is I can't gain an advantage in either championship, so maybe it's not worth it after all... hmmm

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
MiniBossBattle said:
Jeez, how long is the F1 championship in B-Spec going to take me?! I am on my second race and it feels like an hour already.

Just wait for endurance.

B-spec = A-spec laps x 2. EG: 5 = 10, 2 = 4, 20 = 40...

-Pyromaniac- said:
Another noob question, what's the best possible car you can get in level 14/15? By best I mean all-round not so hard to handle but also great performance. I was thinking a Lamborghini or the first Mclaren but I'm not sure.

GAF's majority would recommend 458 Italia or GT-R spec V, but for the levels you mentioned, Enzo or McLaren F1.

McLaren F1 for me. I hate Enzos lol :p

-Pyromaniac- said:

Ford GT, low cost and you can make up with mods in the money you save from the other exotics.

Goldrusher

-Pyromaniac- said:
You'll eventually need a Gallardo. No idea what level that one is, but yeah, a Gallardo would be a good purchase.

blu

-Pyromaniac- said:
I know it's been repeated ad nauseam, but it bears re-iterating: make sure to check out the Corvette ZR1 - its RM has won gaffers more A-spec events than any other car in the game. Car successfully stands against racers of twice or trice its price tag.

Hey guyz... they shitted the bed again! :)

In Round 2 of the GT Academy held from January 31 to February 6, we have found repeatedly that it was possible to inappropriately cut corners or intentionally hit the walls to shorten lap times. Because of this we are effectively negating Round 2 of the competition, allowing EVERYONE who entered round 2 to automatically progress to Round 3.

As notified before, we had changed the course for the event twice due to these issues, but we were unable to completely eliminate the problem.

For this reason we are now working on an update that will help prevent this type of inappropriate driving. Because Round 3 must take place after the release of this update, the previously announced schedule of February 14, 2011 9:00AM is subject to change. The new schedule hereafter will be announced again at a later date.

We send our sincere apologies to all participants of Round 2, for the repeated inconvenience and turmoil this may have caused. We are currently working hard to make the necessary adjustments to prepare a fair race environment for everyone, and ask for your patience until Round 3 of the competition is ready.

Thank you for your understanding and continued support for the GT Academy.

Good news is the fact that february update will bring more than useless b-spec enhancements.

Cancelling the round is pretty bad... how are they going to handle the prizes? Give it to everybody or just not give them at all?

Knowing their track record, they will probably just congratulate the cheaters and not hand out the promissed GT5 CE for the 64 lucky guys.

offshore

seattle6418 said:
Good news is the fact that february update will bring more than useless b-spec enhancements.
I was expecting a big February update anyway, there's plenty of things to fix. I just find it absolutely mindboggling that it's taken something like this for them to acknowledge and attempt to fix the corner cutting and driving against walls.

H-ello? Where have they been for the past fifteen years? Better late than never I suppose. Hopefully this means the series improves in the future as a result....but only if the physics are changed, rather than just a straight penalty system.

Top Bottom