• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

TTG

Finally got the f2007, my most expensive purchase thus far! Preliminary reports show it's about 10 seconds faster than a HDi FAP(with a stage 3 turbo) around Laguna Seca. But, formula cars being what they are, I'm sure I could get that time down to 1 minute dead with enough practice(The Puegueot gets around in 1.13 or faster)

Stats are as follows:
704 hp at 18500
200ftlb torque
545 kilo
41 miles(I'm guessing the hp will bump up to 720-730 eventually)

A couple of points:

1. A formula car with a cockpit is fun. It's not pretty to look at, but the steering wheel looks excellent and you can see the front wheels exactly(obviously). It's almost the same as the "bumper" cam actually, which I like.

2. It is the easiest formula car to drive, by far. I haven't touched anything comparable since finishing the Red Bull challenge weeks ago and I managed to go 12 laps without a spin. The rumble is really good with the DS3 with this car. There's no understeer, unlike the Red Bull. You wouldn't want to drift it around a track, but it's very good with no aids at all.

3. As previously stated, you can't enter any A-spec races... but why would you? If it's just to grind, there are more affordable ways. Anyway, arcade mode works just fine, 16 car f1 races are fun.

EDIT: Maxed the downforce on my second try, full 10 seconds ahead of the tuned FAP. I don't want to cut the trans to give it an unfair advantage, but if tuned well it will lap Laguna Seca in a minute flat.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

offshore

I finally got to 20mil. Time to go on a spending spree on bump up my car count.
mrpdvn.jpg

TheSeks said:
Well, granted, this is the first online outing for them. None of the other games have had an online competition with leaderboards to where the "problem" wasn't noticeable/worrisome?
Driving against the walls and taking shortcuts have been an offline problem since GT1. They should have been fixed years ago.

CozMick

Banned
Holy crap Offshore, no B-spec whatsoever?

Congrats on the 20 million btw, did you purchase any car through the entire game? :p

I'm currently at 26 A-spec, 26 B-spec and have 7 million (I did buy the Formula GT)

offshore

Not into B-Spec at all...plus I don't trust leaving my PS3 on for long periods. Thing sounds like a jet engine.

I've got 140 premiums, albeit the cheapest ones. I don't know if it's worth buying the duplicate Super GT cars. Most seem to have exactly the same spec just with a different livery.

I did the 1000km Suzuka last night in a Bentley Speed 8 (great car btw, silky smooth). Took me over 5 and a half god damn hours. I was so sore toward the end.

The next patch better have fucking Endurance Series save option enabled. I have no problem racing that much on one track, I just hate doing it all in one sitting or completely tying up my PS3 and leaving it on for days (which I would have to do for 9 and 24 hour races).

It has been mentioned a thousand times but as I type this with sore elbows I must reiterate that I won about $360k and boring standard car for nearly 6 hours of driving.

Eat dick Kaz, seriously.

Seriously the prize money and cars is completely messed up.

gutterboy44 said:
I did the 1000km Suzuka last night in a Bentley Speed 8 (great car btw, silky smooth). Took me over 5 and a half god damn hours. I was so sore toward the end.

The next patch better have fucking Endurance Series save option enabled. I have no problem racing that much on one track, I just hate doing it all in one sitting or completely tying up my PS3 and leaving it on for days (which I would have to do for 9 and 24 hour races).

It has been mentioned a thousand times but as I type this with sore elbows I must reiterate that I won about $360k and boring standard car for nearly 6 hours of driving.

Eat dick Kaz, seriously.

offshore

Goldrusher said:
You have some catching up to do...
Don't think I'll ever get there ^_^
gutterboy44 said:
It's crazy when you can get 351k in 12 minutes with the American championship.

wud

Neo Member
Really need any Redbull X1, any mileage, can have a ruined body and no engine rebuild etc

Got Matte Dark Blue, Light Gray, Dark Silver, Green, Light Red and Dark Red paint chips to trade. Got the 787b to trade aswell

PSN: Ramiro_Pez

Angst

-viper- said:
GT3 and GT4 had awesome prize cars.

Just about every prize car in this game fucking sucks though.
The fact that you get the Ford GT Race Car Spec II and the Ford GT40 as prize cars completely negates your post.

Other than those... yeah it pretty much suck.

mclaren777

cilonen said:
Someone just tweeted Kaz if the new seasonals would be up soon.

He replied "A little break".

Hmmmm.
That's a good way to lose their momentum. Without SE, I definitely wouldn't play GT5 as often.

Aalyx

I don't want to think about how many tries it took me, but finally beat the Vettel Suzuka challenge with a bronze on a DS3 and got the X2010. Was so relieved that I forgot to save the replay :-(

Wouldn't be so difficult if I could attack the first few curves flat out like people with wheels can, enjoyed the Nurb challenge far more as that was more forcing me to push the car harder, the DS3 isn't as great of a handicap there.

I personally found that setting the front brake to 3 or 4 made me a lot more consistent on Suzuka, not sure if it was just a coincidence though.

My first race? The Sunday Cup on Autumn Ring, makes the other cars look like they're driving in reverse! Funny destroying those cars without shifting out of 1st gear. I'm in exactly the same position as offshore, I haven't even selected B-Spec yet so I guess I'll give that a go now.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
My gripe with the career system in its present form is that it is full of arbitrary WTF moments. Like lvl15 cars worth $15M, long races that take group C/LMP vehicles to compete, but give credit prizes smaller than the cost of repairs/restoration of the vehicle afterwards, etc.

offshore

blu said:
My gripe with the career system in its present form is that it is full of arbitrary WTF moments. Like lvl15 cars worth $15M, long races that take group C/LMP vehicles to compete, but give credit prizes smaller than the cost of repairs/restoration of the vehicle afterwards, etc.
My gripe with the career system is that there isn't a career system, just the same regurgitated tripe from GT3 and 4.

Polyphony need to wake the fuck up and look around at what other racing games are doing with their career mode. I don't know why PD can't build a true career system whereby team managers or sponsors begin to notice you and offer you money, or open the path to new racing styles, etc, etc. Plus, it's not like they'd have to get rid of the current "A-Spec" system, as that can't exactly take long to design. Both modes could live alongside each other.

AndyD

aka andydumi
offshore said:
My gripe with the career system is that there isn't a career system, just the same regurgitated tripe from GT3 and 4.

Polyphony need to wake the fuck up and look around at what other racing games are doing with their career mode. I don't know why PD can't build a true career system whereby team managers or sponsors begin to notice you and offer you money, or open the path to new racing styles, etc, etc. Plus, it's not like they'd have to get rid of the current "A-Spec" system, as that can't exactly take long to design. Both modes could live alongside each other.

Right. There is no graceful way to introduce people to new tracks, types of cars, upgrades... Its all a mish mash.

Not only that but its been rendered mostly irellevant by the season challenges. You can make millions of coins and exp in minutes rather than days of slogging through the A spec. And then you can buy cars that will let you overpower through a spec making it even worse. Its no fun to let me drive a 1000 hp car vs other 200 hp cars simply because they are both FF or whatever. To win a car that is worth 5000 coins and is a standard model i could have bougth anyway and will never use because its a crappy Civic and I already have 30 of them.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
offshore said:
I think GT5 took a step back from its predecessors - GT4 had no prize cars worth $0, or events with one-time-only prizes. All that without mentioning the current car lvl system, which is controversial in itself.

offshore

AndyD said:
Right. There is no graceful way to introduce people to new tracks, types of cars, upgrades... Its all a mish mash.
Agreed. I liked that on Special Events, Gordon, Loeb and Vettel had a little VT at the start, but things like that would be better served by being part of a career mode, so when you progress or get noticed, things like that can be used as an introduction. Then special licence tests could be made for that particular type of motorsport before you can enter.

There's just so much stuff that PD could do with a proper career mode that it kills me to see the same nonsense design and events being used again and again.
blu said:
I think GT5 took a step back from its predecessors - GT4 had no prize cars worth $0, or events with one-time-only prizes. All that without mentioning the current car lvl system, which is controversial in itself.
Well at least GT5 didn't have the prize carousel ^_^
I had to do the endurance race four times in GT3 before I got the Formula GT...or whatever they called it back then.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anyone have a good classic muscle car for B-spec Amature's muscle car event they don't mind giving me for a few minutes?

None of the cars I have seem to cut the mustard with the stupid AI driving. :|

Just got the F2007, my God. The car is racing zen, it is so easy to drive and feels great doing so. Barreling down Monza with the trees, or down the 'ring RP course banging through apexes is sublime. Shame you can't use it in races, my favorite car by far.

Shaneus

My brother hit level 40 B-spec the other day... scored a level 24 card after winning the 'Ring 24hr. Backed up to USB, gifted the card to me, restored the game from USB fine but when opening GT5 it said the save was corrupted and created a new one by default. So not only has he lost all progress completely... there's nothing to go back to.

Needless to say, he really can't be fucked playing GT5 again.

STG

Shaneus said:
My brother hit level 40 B-spec the other day... scored a level 24 card after winning the 'Ring 24hr. Backed up to USB, gifted the card to me, restored the game from USB fine but when opening GT5 it said the save was corrupted and created a new one by default. So not only has he lost all progress completely... there's nothing to go back to.

holy shit :O

Shaneus said:

If it copied with no problems and only during the game did it gave you the error then he imported the wrong save. If you import a save from another account you get that error.

Shaneus

Metalmurphy said:
If it copied with no problems and only during the game did it gave you the error then he imported the wrong save. If you import a save from another account you get that error.
Really? There was only one save on that USB stick which was the GT5 one. He also only has one account setup on his PS3 as well so it definitely isn't that.

FJ0372

Does anybody know where I can find a list of cars that you win whilst progressing through the career mode? I don't want to buy cars to find out that I'd win those exact cars later on in the game anyway. Sorry if this has already been asked/posted in advance, I did a search and couldn't find anything on this. Thanks.

Shaneus

There'll be a list somewhere, you just have to look. That, or just only buy good cars as the only cars that tend to go as prizes are really shitty ones.

FJ0372 said:
Does anybody know where I can find a list of cars that you win whilst progressing through the career mode? I don't want to buy cars to find out that I'd win those exact cars later on in the game anyway. Sorry if this has already been asked/posted in advance, I did a search and couldn't find anything on this. Thanks.

Here ya go.

*Edit* or here too.

-viper-

Banned
Angst said:
The fact that you get the Ford GT Race Car Spec II and the Ford GT40 as prize cars completely negates your post.

Other than those... yeah it pretty much suck.
They're standard therefore they suck.

Shaneus

mclaren777 said:
That's a good way to lose their momentum. Without SE, I definitely wouldn't play GT5 as often.
Just noticed this post. Sounds like I'll be taking at least "a little break" as well. TBH that's pretty much the only thing I've been actually playing in GT5 recently (not counting B-spec).

Shaneus said:

Thats what you get for duping. Kaz's revenge.

offshore

If the game credit system wasn't so broken we wouldn't need to dupe in the first place ^_^ Alas, for cars that are over 3mil, I buy, send to alt, then restore my save.

On another note, I'm going to start buying the standard cars in earnest...but do they cycle cars you've already bought? I don't want to end up unknowingly buying duplicates. Godammit I wish they'd just put all standard cars in their respective dealerships to buy at any time.

Dead Man

offshore said:
If the game credit system wasn't so broken we wouldn't need to dupe in the first place ^_^ Alas, for cars that are over 3mil, I buy, send to alt, then restore my save.

On another note, I'm going to start buying the standard cars in earnest...but do they cycle cars you've already bought? I don't want to end up unknowingly buying duplicates. Godammit I wish they'd just put all standard cars in their respective dealerships to buy at any time.
Yeah, they do, I think I have about 4 RS4's.

Goldrusher

FJ0372 said:
There are links in the OP.

Top Bottom