• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

iam220

Yoritomo said:
GT is fun as hell but it ain't the pinnacle in any area but photo taking. You could easily argue that it's the pinnacle of fun for simlike racing games though.

Indeed. Most of the people who are hailing gt5 as the second coming are not only inexperienced in the sim genre but are also trying out a wheel for the first time. So its really no surprise that they're are blown away. I remember feeling the same way when I first tried a sim on a racing wheel. It was an incredible gaming experience, unlike anything I've experienced prior.

Az

SolidSnakex said:
Have you done a race mod on it? That's all you need to do to completely transform it from a handling perspective.

oh i did that and extra.

ending vid is awesome

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
iam220 said:
Indeed. Most of the people who are hailing gt5 as the second coming are not only inexperienced in the sim genre but are also trying out a wheel for the first time. So its really no surprise that they're are blown away. I remember feeling the same way when I first tried a sim on a racing wheel. It was an incredible gaming experience, unlike anything I've experienced prior.
What is the very best game on the market to play with a wheel today?

Leunam

I think you guys can lay off of him now seeing as how he's clearly had a bad experience with another user here before.

Yoritomo

iam220 said:

The thing that gives it a weakness is also it's greatest strength in my book. The sheer variety of experiences. I'd have already stopped playing and moved on to other games or at least taken a significant break from GT5 if not for the B-spec mode. GT5 is all over the map, but I'm a fan of big maps. Crazy x1 super car, hell yeah. Karts, woohoo. Silly arcade license tests where you hammer around 11 other cars in a single lap, YAY. Then there are sublime experiences like the AMG challenges. The terror of knowing you're about a second down from where you need to be to finish the full ring, and having to wring the hell out of the car to make up that second. Knowing after the long straight that you could keep the power down but risk a spin by trying to brake late and make up a few tenths of a second, but not really being sure if you need to do it to get gold. Few games make me shout in triumph and GT5 has elicited a few of those. GT6 just needs more of that and less of the other stuff I mentioned.

Pam is in heat boys, she is fully tuned and ready for new life experiences. I am done with my truck A and B spec races so she is out for loan. PM me if interested.

Edit: captscience is getting the first ride on Pam.

iam220

marc^o^ said:
What is the very best game on the market to play with a wheel today?

Depends on your criteria for "very best game". If it's content, than GT5 is king no question
never played F3
. With rFactor coming in at second. If its accuracy of simulation, force feedback and overall handling "feel" than it's iRacing, netkar pro, LFS, rFacotr .. in that order.

h3ro

Mush said:
Oh, a customer?! :D

Well, all the cars have already been reserved but you can still buddy up and co-drive with them (so basically you share the car for the season, doing 4 out of the 8 races each.)

Get in contact with one of these guys below, and if you could, encourage others to buddy up as well. I'd really appreciate it.

TheAzRim - GT-R Calsonic Impul Super GT, '08
GodofWine - Supra Castrol Tom's JGTC, '97
TylerD - SC430 Petronas Tom's Super GT, '08
l2ounD - SC430 Bandai Direzza Super GT, '06
ghostofsparta - SC430 Eneos Super GT, '08
UFRA - GT-R WoodOne Advan Clarion Super GT, '08
Salacious Crumb - GT-R YellowHat YMS Tomica Super GT, '08
mil6es - NSX Epson Super GT, '08
rinse82 - SC430 Denso Dunlop Sard Super GT, '08
Angst - Fairlady Z Xanavi Nismo Super GT, '06

Yellowhat GT-R :D

How can I turn down a yellow livery with gold wheels? <3
I'll see if Salacious Crumb is interested.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
iam220 said:
Depends on your criteria for "very best game". If it's content, than GT5 is king no question
never played F3
. With rFactor coming in at second. If its accuracy of simulation, force feedback and overall handling "feel" than it's iRacing, netkar pro, LFS, rFacotr .. in that order.
So driving in iRacing feels much better than in GT5? I need this game right now!

Mush

h3ro said:
Yellowhat GT-R :D

How can I turn down a yellow livery with gold wheels? <3
I'll see if Salacious Crumb is interested.
Get Firmware (sigh) in on this and we'll have a real league going. I mean he has Super GT cars in his avatar ffs!

And others too. :)

Yoritomo

marc^o^ said:
So driving in iRacing feels much better than in GT5? I need this game right now!

Laser scanned tracks where the surface is communicated in the FFB make a world of difference.

BobTheBub

Leunam said:
I think you guys can lay off of him now seeing as how he's clearly had a bad experience with another user here before.

Agreed, I can see where he was coming from.

Needs -Yo Dawg, we herd you like deposits... POS Truck/Turd photochop to draw a line under things.

______

Sorry - I have been feasting on the meme thread.

h3ro

Sworn enemies of Nissan is Honda right. firmware has to use a Honda. preferably not a Raybrig as those look cool.

Huggers

Leunam said:

Don't be so soft! I just thought it was funny, no one was especially mean

Finally get my PS3 back tonight, I have let my bro have it to play Black Ops for a while as I've had much on, can't wait to get some races in. How's the online going, are Gaffers racing against each other regularly?

iam220

marc^o^ said:

It does, but it's going to set you back. If you JUST got your wheel than I recommend you stay away from it for now. You will need to be very competent with the wheel and not only be fast but also safe. There are no assists in this game and its pretty much on-line only. The game punishes you greatly for not being safe and you will get a lot of shit from the members as well.

I'd recommend LFS (liveforspeed.net). The graphics are outdated but the force feedback and physics are superb. There's very very good demo that has 3 cars and online (!). I recommend every one give this demo a shot. The online is also no where near as serious as iRacing and rather is much more focused on fun, especially in the demo servers.

I should also say that none of the games I've mentioned are replacements to GT5. Gt5 is one of a kind in terms of content and challenges.

Finally, the one game I didn't mention is Richard Burns Rally, the rally in gt5 kinda sucks and RBR is soooo much better. In fact its the best rally sim in existence and I don't think ANYBODY would argue otherwise. Also highly, highly, recommended.

iam220 said:
never played F3

The good thing is that know we got to a point where this discussion is like "Kobe or Lebron", "Pele or Maradona" or "Senna or Schumacher".

Is much more decided on personal taste than on hard cold facts. It wasn´t the case with GT4, GT4 was very low on the sim scale.

GT5 still lacks some sim related elements, like tire pressure, some advanced car settings, manual starts, things like that, but the actual driving is on par with the best sims out there, if you´re driving the right tires and no aids.

I´m just glad the core experience is great and now they can focus on working on features/cars/tracks/modes.

holy crap, just realized the crowd winces when you crash into a wall near them. Neat. Not neat, I.Pope smacking my Gallardo into the walls at Madrid.

h3ro said:
Sworn enemies of Nissan is Honda right. firmware has to use a Honda. preferably not a Raybrig as those look cool.

That´s awesome, you guys are taking the rivalry to the SuperGT league:lol

I guess i know who won´t be winning the sportsmanship award:lol

iam220

seattle6418 said:
GT5 still lacks some sim related elements, like tire pressure, some advanced car settings, manual starts, things like that, but the actual driving is on par with the best sims out there, if you´re driving the right tires and no aids.

So you've played all the games I've mentioned?

Firewire

Banned
Mush said:
Get Firmware (sigh) in on this and we'll have a real league going. I mean he has Super GT cars in his avatar ffs!

And others too. :)

Are you talking about me? I don't own any of those Super GT cars yet, I've only purchased 3 cars so far in GT5 (2 shit boxes and a 458 italia), trying to get all the cars you win first before I go on a real shopping spree.

Firewire

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
You know you win an F40 in B-Spec Professional.

Cancels F40 purchase. Will have to do more b-specing tonight.

h3ro said:

Actually I own a Honda or well an Acura RSX Type S, so I'd gladly take a Honda over a Nissan.

h3ro

Firewire said:
I don't own any of those Super GT cars yet, I've only purchased 3 cars so far in GT5 (2 shit boxes and a 458 italia), trying to get all the cars you win first before I go on a real shopping spree.

Same here. :D

Grind out some cash so we can race in this league! I'm picking up the YellowHat GT-R.

It's hard to drop 950K on a car knowing the second I do that, something I really was on the look out for will show up in the Used Lot. :lol

h3ro

Firewire said:
Cancels F40 purchase. Will have to do more b-specing tonight.

Actually I own a Honda or well an Acura RSX Type S, so I'd gladly take a Honda over a Nissan.
I own a Nissan! (well, an Infiniti G coupe, but close enough!)

turnbuckle

Had a million credits and not a single decent pre 1980 muscle car so I had at least 3 A and B spec challenges I couldn't do. I noticed the 1970 Mustang Transcammer and had sticker shock, but the car looks badass and after upgrades I and my B-spec drivers could easily take care of those events I've been ineligible for.

Spend close to a million credits buying it and tuning it.
See the car isn't eligible for those events.
Turn the game off in a panic, turn it back on and my mistake wasn't erased.

FUCK.

brentech

I drive a manual '08 Mazda3 so I purchased the closest premium to it in the 07' Mazda6 concept (pretty sure the only "concept" portion of it is the body styling).
I've also purchased some of my favorite unmodified cars to simply enjoy driving. Other than that, I haven't spent much CR on anything other than some tuning.

LCfiner

PetriP-TNT said:
I am pretty sure that there's no need to buy any cars until lvl 23, am I right? (as far as GTLife goes, that is.)

whoa. I don’t know if I could enjoy the game if I hadn’t bought the cars that I have at this point (around 30 premiums and 8 or 9 standards) at level 20.

living off the prizes you get is possible but I love trying out the variety.

and I’m hooked on the detail of the premium models - of course, I like taking them into photo travel mode so that’s a part of it for me.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
So I spent like, 20,000 upgrading a POS Yaris to the point where I was able to win the beginners Yaris Championship for a cool 5,000. Awesome.

That was probably the dumbest thing I've ever had to do in a game. :lol

LCfiner

luka said:
So I spent like, 20,000 upgrading a POS Yaris to the point where I was able to win the beginners Yaris Championship for a cool 5,000. Awesome.

That was probably the dumbest thing I've ever had to do in a game. :lol

run it 4 more times!!! :p

darkwing

turnbuckle said:
Had a million credits and not a single decent pre 1980 muscle car so I had at least 3 A and B spec challenges I couldn't do. I noticed the 1970 Mustang Transcammer and had sticker shock, but the car looks badass and after upgrades I and my B-spec drivers could easily take care of those events I've been ineligible for.

Spend close to a million credits buying it and tuning it.
See the car isn't eligible for those events.
Turn the game off in a panic, turn it back on and my mistake wasn't erased.

FUCK.
why wasn't it eligible?

expy

Banned
PetriP-TNT said:
Just talking about how brilliant the GTLife mode is. I think that F1 Car is the only one you can't win, but there might be couple of others.
Don't know, at first I started playing the A-Spec almost exclusively, and I had to buy some cars from the used lot to finish up some races.

commedieu

Banned
iam220 said:
So you've played all the games I've mentioned?

I have. rfactor, gpl, gtl, iracing, gtr1&2, lfs, racer.nl. GT5 is just as unforgiving as any of those sims. That is the big divide between console sims & pc sims. You really have to balance your vehicles weight as well throughout braking/turning. An almost constant attention to entering/exiting speed/traction etc. Things that GT really captures well I'd say mostly is the weight of the vehicles. Which in turn aids the rest of the sim. Don't know how to quite describe it, but you feel the inertia of your vehicle. These things are generally super powered beasts, and they will send you into a spin if you go wot into turns. I don't know if that makes any sense. I'm not the most capable driver out there, but you can definitely feel the difference in a Burnout/Dirt/Grid/Forza & GT when you drive. Its not fun almost because you have to be on the ball all the time. But I remember how annoying that feeling is, and I know its a feeling from PC Sims. I don't find that challenge in any sim on consoles, maybe enthusia back in the day. The SegaGT's of the world are easily propelled through with PC sim habits guiding you. It almost feels like you're cheating because it seems as if you're defying physics in these games, compared.

I remember when I first tried the Time Trial, the tranny whine/shaking immediately reminded me of GTR, as did the constant control/input from me as a player which you generally don't find in prologue, which felt like it had aids on all this time. I know PC elitists love to speak down about console sims in general, but specifically in the case of GT. PD's done a decent job at offering a very challenging sim which does turn off a lot of people, but those same people will also be turned off by any more rigorous sim. Tons of room for improvement, but It can only get better with fine tuning. Definitely on the right track to turn more people off from the game w/o aids :D.

Yoritomo

Dynamic3 said:
So you've driven a real Star Mazda at Laguna?

Really. You're going to argue that the driving fidelity in GT5 is more realistic than iRacing? iRacing definitely has its issues but the default setup isn't completely and utterly wrong like it is in GT5 on the vast majority of vehicles. This discussion has already happened numerous times. If you own a wheel and racing sims are a love of yours you've played the games mentioned or would be well served in trying them out once you're done with GT.

Top Bottom