• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

amar212

33-Hit-Combo said:
I didn't think that a recording would require that much memory or processing power. My wish would have been to do multiple recordings, so you could use different cams and see other drivers.

I had assumed if they are simulating your race (replay), then a number of recordings would be less demanding.

There is really no way on Earth that replay files could be saved/exported as video files in resonable manner for end-users.

Heck, even OtherGame replay-editor allowed only chunks of 30sec to be exported and it was PITA to use for anything really.

YouTube upload option for GT5 was cancelled because rendering time for HD video was absurd. Although game actually allows that replay file is exported in some strange format to XMB (mess of folders and some strange files), there is nothing you can do it with it, as for now.

Every GT game so far is using the same method in saving replays. It saves data-files for every vehicle and than reproduce it in game engine as replay. Only GT game that had FastForward was GT4. Notice it took some time from GT3 to GT4 to implement that feature.

I can agree with Dibbz it would probably be very hard to do such for complex GT5 engine. Since there is so much real-time things going on in GT5 compared to GT4 times (real time skidmarks, animations of drivers, day/night changes, temperature/humidity sub-engine for tyre wear and pavement conditions, weather engine, smoke, particle effects, AI routines, visual damage, mechanical damage (if enabled), pit-stops, 16 cars on track, etc..) I really do not think it would be easy to implement FF by any imaginable mean.

Dibbz said:
Only solution I can think up is every time you pass the start line (each lap) there is a little flag that is recorded in the replay file that will enable you to jump to that lap without having the need to fast forward anything.
Error1355 said:
Genius. Go tweet that to them. >_>

They have actually used that same option in GT2 if I recall well, can't really remember now. You could jump-lap by pressing R1. Sadly, option was absent from later games and there have to be a tech-reason for that.

TheSeks said:
Yeah, there should be a way to "clear cache" like the 360 patch system, but nope can't do that. :/
Yeah, it's kinda absurd. I'm also seeing more standard cars in A-Spec races than usual. Maybe it's part of "performance improvements", like removing bystanders on tracks (London, iirc) and the rolling starts. Then again, it could be just me, being pissed about all this.

Angst said:
Corvette ZR1 Race modded and fully upgraded. Pretty cheap (800k incl all upgrades) and it blows away the competition - even when B-speccing Like the Wind.
Now this looks like something I can pull off without grinding my way to insanity. Thanks for the tip.

brotkasten said:
So apparently the trick was to disable ABS, which slows you down in the corners. PD "fixed" that with v1.06 and now it seems impossible to me to win this race. Great. Not only they changed every start in an A-Spec race to a rolling start, but I also can't finish the Nascar driving school now. I wanna kick Jeff Gordon and Kaz in their balls.

Disabling ABS disabled ASM, which slowed you down. You could try and switch that off in the realime settings menu during the race.

G Rom

It's pretty amazing how remote races has helped me boost my B-Spec level. In less than a week I've gained 17 levels (soon to be 18). I can now participate in endurance races from "normal" B-Spec.

Also, new drivers have joined my team :

P.Chen
150px-Professeur_Chen_RFVF.png

(this name works only for people who played Pokémon in french...)

W.Bell
Fringe-120-01.jpg

All of my drivers are now level 18 minimum thanks to all the remote races and I haven't encountered the bug since last time I posted here. :)

Edit : Damn, why did I say that, I just had the bug... >_<

G Rom

brotkasten said:
How can I access the settings menu during the race?

You need to map the RA menu to the D-Pad in the game's settings but as someone said earlier I think this trick to disable ABS was removed with the update before 1.06.
It's really stupid as ASM is slowing your car in those NASCAR challenge. PD just use an assist to make a challenge more difficult... :-/

G Rom said:
You need to map the RA menu to the D-Pad in the game's settings but as someone said earlier I think this trick to disable ABS was removed with the update before 1.06.
It's really stupid as ASM is slowing your car in those NASCAR challenge. PD just use an assist to make a challenge more difficult... :-/

I can't map any buttons on my G27, because PD won't let me access the G27 profile (there has to be one, because the rev limiter on the wheel works just fine). I'll try it with my Logitech pad (lent my DS3 to a friend :/).

edit: The Logitech pad works in other games and I can even navigate the GT5 menu and pause a race, but I can't race with it. The game ignores the input for the car and yes, I disconnected my G27. WTH?

Bobo

brotkasten said:
I can't map any buttons on my G27, because PD won't let me access the G27 profile (there has to be one, because the rev limiter on the wheel works just fine). I'll try it with my Logitech pad (lent my DS3 to a friend :/).

edit: The Logitech pad works in other games and I can even navigate the GT5 menu and pause a race, but I can't race with it. The game ignores the input for the car and yes, I disconnected my G27. WTH?
I had to select the Driving Force Pro (DFP) profile for use with my G25, is this not the case with the G27?

olbareun

Jumping on the bspec bandwagon. my id is mrnorush for the remote races do I need the particular car being used for that track or is it provided like some of the special events?

Textuality, you are a god amongst men! Thnx for the X1 Prototype !

Ironically I golded the last Vettel challenge today...... :-D

.....like a boss.

IMG00223-20110222-1635.jpg

brentech

Running a 16 man field at trial mountain remote bspec. Big wreck on 2nd lap near the finish line. Was crazy. Funny to watch the bobs

G Rom said:
Edit : Damn, why did I say that, I just had the bug... >_<

Is it a bug?

The game does not save after collecting the Remote Race money/exp. It happened to me in the beginning and now that I manually save every time, it didn't happen again so far.
It's strange that it would un-share your drivers but maybe that's because the data on the server and the savegame differs?

- I go to the drivers icon in the main menu
- collect all the prices (if they are not occupied)
- back to main menu
- check drivers menu again (also because it doesn't update the stats while you're collecting the prizes...)
- save manually

Or maybe test it and don't collect from them all at once.

Thanks to all the people using my drivers.
I went from late lv27 to late 29 in B-spec since the patch.
Just doing the races yourself with just your one driver doesn't bring much exp in comparison (well ok, before you get the longer endurance races it's good because you wouldn't be able to grind from work otherwise), but by working together it can be quite effective. Especially as the amount of time you have to invest / the time your PS3 has to be on, is shared between us.

Though they really need to add more/custom events and let me turn off my PS3 via the browser (also, don't render the races / only if you select to save the replay).

Bobo said:
Damn. :( Well, I hope they fix that for you G27 users.

Yeah, that would be nice.

Any good ideas what car I should use for the Polyphony Digital Cup (the last race in the expert series)? I was thinking about a Lan Evo 4 or RX7 and tune them a bit to reach 400BHP (don't wanna destroy the AI :p), but I don't think a tuned Japanese car is appropriate for this event. Any suggestions? Again, I don't want to be superior, A-Spec is already boring and short enough without rushing through it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
SolidusDave said:
Though they really need to add more/custom events and let me turn off my PS3 via the browser (also, don't render the races / only if you select to save the replay).

We have asked for this before. A full live timing view with more details, no rendering necessary at all. Even for regular B-spec.

brentech

Have ran quite a few remote races today. Trying to get everyone from my friends list in them - will continue to run today as I'm about to install some blinds/valances in our living room. Free money for all!

sublimit

Banned
Ok did they lowered the prize credits in Turbo challenge (expert series) from 50.000 to 36.000 (!) in the last update?
In a game that already demanded lots of grinding now they actually try to encourage the player to do even more grinding by lowering the prize money?WTF Polyphony??

sublimit said:
Ok did they lowered the prize credits in Turbo challenge (expert series) from 50.000 to 36.000 (!) in the last update?
In a game that already demanded lots of grinding now they actually try to encourage the player to do even more grinding by lowering the prize money?WTF Polyphony??

From the change log:
&#12539;Event Rewards and Experience Adjusted
The rewards and experience for [Licence] and [Special Events] of [GT Mode] - [GT Life] have been adjusted. Experience for A-Spec and B-Spec events have been increased, while rewards have been reduced back down to levels seen before the 1.05 update.

Worst. Patch. Ever. /hyperbole

Dibbz

What is the best RX-7 to use in the last challenge in Seasonal Event 7? I've got the efini RX-7 but it's 250BHP and every other car in that event is nearly 400BHP. I check to see if I could RM is but I can't. Is the RX-7 spirit version better tuning wise?

StevePharma said:
Textuality, you are a god amongst men! Thnx for the X1 Prototype !

Ironically I golded the last Vettel challenge today...... :-D

.....like a boss.

Congrats.

I still remember starting into them for the first time. Thinking I'd done well, kept it on track, felt pretty quick - only to find I was something like 11 seconds off the required bronze time haha..

And then shaving the last 0.4 and 0.6 seconds off N'Ring and Suzuka respectively for the Gold.. It was infuriating being that close, yet SO far.

Finally nailing them though made it all worthwhile.

When you run remote races, please leave one shared driver unused. I can't run any remote races because all 5 of my drivers are being used. Thanks for using my drivers though.

Dibbz said:
What is the best RX-7 to use in the last challenge in Seasonal Event 7? I've got the efini RX-7 but it's 250BHP and every other car in that event is nearly 400BHP. I check to see if I could RM is but I can't. Is the RX-7 spirit version better tuning wise?

Whichever RX-7 is next to the 787B (forgot)

The decrease of cash prizes is a bummer, but luckily I'm already at 20m and its gonna stay that way as long as backup saves never gets patched :p

Dibbz said:
That would be the Spirit version. Can it be RM'd?

Nope :(

List of cars in game that can be RM'd:

Acura NSX RM '91
Chevrolet Camaro SS RM '10
Chevrolet Camaro Z28 RM '69
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) RM '06
Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) RM '09
Dodge Challenger R/T RM '70
Honda CIVIC TYPE R (EK) RM '97
Honda INTEGRA TYPE R (DC5) RM '04
Lexus IS F RM '07
Lotus Elise RM '96
Lotus Elise 111R RM '04
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR RM '05
Nissan SILVIA spec-R AERO (S15) RM '02
Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STI spec C Type RA RM '05
Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) RM '95
TVR Tuscan Speed 6 RM '00
Volkswagen Golf IV GTI RM '01

Yeah, its only that much :/

First of all THANK YOU to all of you who are using my B-SPEC drivers. Might sound funny, but I'm serious when I say I had my copy of GT5 back in the case set to be traded in or sold. I didn't hate it but it was boring me to death and I wasn't even in grind mode yet. I like buying a bunch of cool cars and pimping them out, racing here or there and just doing what is fun. You guys using my drivers are bringing in some pretty good loot which helps me immensly with how I like to buy and fix cars.

With that said I'm going to beg one more time(I said same thing last time lolz) for people to add me as a friend on your PSN list and use my shared drivers as much as you can. In return if you share drivers I will use yours as well and earn you some decent loot. I'm not sure on any specific numbers or anything but I've had to have earned some decent credits and XP for my GAF GT5 friends.

Oh and did I mention, minus a 30 minute break here or there I am seriously running remote races all day and most of the night. I vary drivers so no one gets left out which reminds me, those with a lot of GT5 friends please don't neglect my PSN ID URide_A_Shortbus way down at the bottom of the alphabetic list as well.

PSN ID==> URide_A_Shortbus

mclaren777

Is there an fast/easy way to delete large quantities of paint chips?

I now have 435 and I would really like a way to cut that down to <100.

alex1893

I'm in for some B-Spec Remote too :) ... PSN ID: alex_1893 , feel free to add me.

already added URide_A_Shortbus, YobRenoops, El_Beefo, mrnorush from this page, gonna add more after some racing.

alex1893 said:
I'm in for some B-Spec Remote too :) ... PSN ID: alex_1893 , feel free to add me.

already added URide_A_Shortbus, YobRenoops, El_Beefo, mrnorush from this page, gonna add more after some racing.

Did you share your drivers because I didnt see yours

Shaneus

I'm gonna repost for the new page too, in the faint hope that people use it and no bugs glitch out any winnings and take my drivers offline:

Shaneus2k2

th3dude

Just added about 6 gaffers for remote bspec for my noob driver.

Looking forward to getting him into some action!

Anyone else feel free to add me and abuse my noob

Psn id in profile

Shaneus said:
I'm gonna repost for the new page too, in the faint hope that people use it and no bugs glitch out any winnings and take my drivers offline:

Shaneus2k2

I wasn't able to add your drivers all day today because it said you didn't have one shared or whatever it says

*EDIT* Nevermind I had you confused with someone else

alex1893

Mizzou Gaming said:
Did you share your drivers because I didnt see yours
I did but I think there was some kind of bug... my best driver was lvl 11, after a race he went back to lvl 9 and offline. :/ Hope it's working now.

Shaneus

Mizzou Gaming said:
I wasn't able to add your drivers all day today because it said you didn't have one shared or whatever it says

*EDIT* Nevermind I had you confused with someone else
Phew! That bug pissed me off once... I'd hate to see what my GT5 disc would look like if it happened again.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Might as well add me too, i think i have most everyone on there now and ive been running some races for everyone. I try to pick 1-2 drivers from all different people than all drivers from 1-2 people.

AndysPants.

kn1ves24

I'm having some issues with GT5.

I'm having a problem with getting a connection to a server when I start GT5 up and I'm wondering if anybody here can help me out.

The game worked fine prior to the 1.06 update. Ever since the update when I start GT5 up the game will just hang there and eventually error out saying a connection couldn't be made to the server.

I'm signed into PSN and all other games work fine, its GT5 that refuses to work. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled. Tried connecting with just installing the updates and not the other game data installed, and still no luck.

If some one can help me out I'd appreciate it.

Once/if I get the game working I'd like to get in on the bspec racing my psn is: kn1ves24

oh and I have tried putting my PS3 in a DMZ and still no luck so its not a port issue.

kn1ves24 said:

I'm having a problem with getting a connection to a server when I start GT5 up and I'm wondering if anybody here can help me out.

The game worked fine prior to the 1.06 update. Ever since the update when I start GT5 up the game will just hang there and eventually error out saying a connection couldn't be made to the server.

I'm signed into PSN and all other games work fine, its GT5 that refuses to work. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled. Tried connecting with just installing the updates and not the other game data installed, and still no luck.

Once/if I get the game working I'd like to get in on the bspec racing my psn is: kn1ves24

oh and I have tried putting my PS3 in a DMZ and still no luck so its not a port issue.

I'm definately no handy repair tech guy but can u get to the clear system cache option? Its probably not going to fix it but it wont hurt to try

AndyD

aka andydumi
kn1ves24 said:

The patch may have corrupted the install file. Same happened to my Motorstorm install once. I deleted the install them reinstalled and patched.

kn1ves24

Fixed it. Either it was my bad or my ISP being tricky on me. My DNS settings needed to be updated on my PS3. Thanks for the suggestions though!

marathonfool said:
When you run remote races, please leave one shared driver unused. I can't run any remote races because all 5 of my drivers are being used. Thanks for using my drivers though.

Can't u just pull one of your drivers offline so u will always have at least one driver to race with

th3dude

Do I need to be offline (ie not playing GT5) for my bspec shared drivers to be usable to others? Or can you guys use them now while I'm playing?

Top Bottom