• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Dibbz said:
I don't think it's as simple as you seem to think it is.

I'm not clued up on how GT's replay system works but I gather from the small file sizes it records input data. To have fast forward, the game would have to calculate physics, aero etc for cars going x2, x3 or even x4 faster. I'm not sure that their engine could accurately simulate that for one car let alone 12-16 cars.

Only solution I can think up is every time you pass the start line (each lap) there is a little flag that is recorded in the replay file that will enable you to jump to that lap without having the need to fast forward anything.

I understand their engine is pretty good, but it's certainly not the best out there. Instead of simulating the actual race, could they not have a number of recorded replays, so they are in fact replays?

I have no problem with no speed options on B-Spec. It's purely replays that I am interested in...

jergrah

weekend_warrior said:
How much money/xp do you get from remote races? Is it worth doing instead of grinding b-spec races?

I know Marathon and one other friend ran my guys a bit yesterday and I had close to 80K waiting for me this morning, one of my guys went from Level 0 to 7 and another from Level 3 or 4 to 12.

I ran his (Marathon) squad of 3 or 4 racers for probably 4 hours straight this morning in 12 man races, not sure how much XP/Money he just picked up when logging in - but maybe he can mention it?

The best part is if you are running them, you just click it in a browser and let it go -- no interaction required. And if friends are running your guys, its even simpler -- as you literally do nothing and have XP + Money waiting for you.

just noticed that they've destroyed the mt. aso course maker theme.

before the patch you could have 5 mile circuits with huge 400ft + elevations, now i can't even get a 2 mile circuit and the elevation has been put under 200ft. bullshit move.

fix this shit and remove those crappy kart themes. where is the eiger theme? i'd love a tarmac version of gt5's best circuit - the eiger k.

Between my 4 shared drivers, I had over 500,000 credits waiting for me. Thanks to h3ro, jergrah, dkwhip, qwell, and Yobrenoops. I think I may be forgetting a couple other people.

edit: dkwhip's drivers are no joke. They win every one of my races. My best driver, T. Miyamoto (brother of S.Miyamoto), cannot place higher than the middle rank. Looks like we know who got the success genes.

Shaneus

I was hoping to have a shitload of money when I came home yesterday... but some fucking bug took both my racers offline and removed all their winnings :/

spats

Toxa said:

animals-eagle.gif

Dibbz

33-Hit-Combo said:
I understand their engine is pretty good, but it's certainly not the best out there. Instead of simulating the actual race, could they not have a number of recorded replays, so they are in fact replays?

I have no problem with no speed options on B-Spec. It's purely replays that I am interested in...
If you're suggesting saving replays as actual video files then you'd have a number of problems.

1. File sizes would be huge
2. You wouldn't be able to change camera's (eg bonet, cockpit etc)
3. You wouldn't be able to watch the race from any other drivers perspective
4. Frame rate would most likely be the biggest problem. Performance would take a huge hit as the game would be recording a video file during gameplay

jergrah said:
Im using Firefox and have been running them from work since around 830AM PST and havent seen any 404 errors. The first time I ran a race this morning I did get a pop-up that said "Server Maintenance Taking Place" but after I hit OK, the remote race kicked off.

Also....PSN username clutterlives -- Im assuming you post on this thread which is why you sent me the invite? Id gladly run your cars, but it says your B-Spec drivers are not shared out.

Sorry my PSN is: YobRenoops

Try that one.

brotkasten said:
Wasn't there a trick to win the last Nascar challenge?

In B=Spec? I just used these settings and won fine.

Downforce: 40/60

Transmission: 380 km/h (236 MPH)

LSD: 60/60/15

Ride Height: 0/-15
Spring Rate: 18.5/19
Dampers (Extension): 9/10
Dampers (Compression): 4/4
Anti-Roll: 6/7
Camber: 3.5/2.5
Toe: -0.15/0.00

Brakes: 2/1

weekend_warrior said:
In B=Spec? I just used these settings and won fine.

Downforce: 40/60

Transmission: 380 km/h (236 MPH)

LSD: 60/60/15

Ride Height: 0/-15
Spring Rate: 18.5/19
Dampers (Extension): 9/10
Dampers (Compression): 4/4
Anti-Roll: 6/7
Camber: 3.5/2.5
Toe: -0.15/0.00

Brakes: 2/1

No no, I'm talking about Jeff "The Zombie" Gordon's special event. You know, the last 2 lap race on Daytona.

But thanks for the settings, will save them for later.

Yikes. Something is wrong with my PS3, won't let me don't anymore remote races. I'm not home to fix it. Guess it's a bit buggy, but I was able to run about 6 races or so.

Shaneus

weekend_warrior said:
I guess free money never hurts, but I'm not gonna bananas over 500,000 credits. I can make a million/hour in b-spec without hardly doing anything.
Which event? I can't remember anything in B-spec worth that much...

Marathon: Might be the bug I experienced yesterday. I had my PS3 off for a day or two, came back to find no shared drivers. Possible that they may have unshared while it was in server mode, perhaps?

h3ro

ichinisan said:
Just for the new page.

PSN: YobRenoops

Add me for B-Spec loving. Running remote races non-stop from 9am to 5pm GMT.

Just shot you an invite. :)

Also, anyone have a Matte Red chip? I have every other matte chip available and I'd be willing to send one or more over for the matte red.

For those that just recently sent me a friend request thanks, I really do appreciate it. Be patient and I will spread the love. I'm playing Gears of War 2 campaign on my 360 and switching over continually running 16 player races all night long.

I'm not exactly sure who but I had to have racked up some decent loot for some of you from earlier on. If not, its coming just don't forget me down at the bottom of your lists -> URide_A_Shortbus

brotkasten said:
No no, I'm talking about Jeff "The Zombie" Gordon's special event. You know, the last 2 lap race on Daytona.

But thanks for the settings, will save them for later.

So apparently the trick was to disable ABS, which slows you down in the corners. PD "fixed" that with v1.06 and now it seems impossible to me to win this race. Great. Not only they changed every start in an A-Spec race to a rolling start, but I also can't finish the Nascar driving school now. I wanna kick Jeff Gordon and Kaz in their balls.

weekend_warrior said:
I guess free money never hurts, but I'm not gonna bananas over 500,000 credits. I can make a million/hour in b-spec without hardly doing anything.

All I know is yesterday I had one B-Spec driver at like 4 and today I have 5 drivers all at around 20 and have earned almost 2,000,000 credits. Edit: Actually more than that I forgot the shopping spree I went on earlier today.

brotkasten said:
So apparently the trick was to disable ABS, which slows you down in the corners. PD "fixed" that with v1.06 and now it seems impossible to me to win this race. Great. Not only they changed every start in an A-Spec race to a rolling start, but I also can't finish the Nascar driving school now. I wanna kick Jeff Gordon and Kaz in their balls.
You can always delete the patch and play offline.

marathonfool said:
You can always delete the patch and play offline.
Would it go back to 1.0 or 1.05? Doesn't really matter, because giving up the seasonal events and car sharing is not a solution for this. I really want to know why they changed everything to rolling starts. I hated it in GT5:p and it's such a step back.

I do have a question unrelated to my remote marathons- Earlier today I switched over to A Spec and finally reached level 20. I was under the impression damage was unlocked at 20 but the couple of races after reaching 20 that doesn't appear to be the case. So essentially what Im asking is when does damage start happening in my A Spec races?

brotkasten said:
Would it go back to 1.0 or 1.05? Doesn't really matter, because giving up the seasonal events and car sharing is not a solution for this. I really want to know why they changed everything to rolling starts. I hated it in GT5:p and it's such a step back.
I mean, delete the patch, finish the NASCAR special events, then update to the newest version. Your progress should still be reflected.

STG

ichinisan said:
Just for the new page.

PSN: YobRenoops

Add me for B-Spec loving. Running remote races non-stop from 9am to 5pm GMT.
added you

h3ro said:
Also, anyone have a Matte Red chip? I have every other matte chip available and I'd be willing to send one or more over for the matte red.

I have 2 Matte Light Red and 2 Matte Red
you can have all 4 if you like, I really don't need the colours

psn id?

h3ro said:
Just shot you an invite. :)

What is a Matte Red chip? Sorry Gran Turismo series noob here.

dk_

marathonfool said:
Between my 4 shared drivers, I had over 500,000 credits waiting for me. Thanks to h3ro, jergrah, dkwhip, qwell, and Yobrenoops. I think I may be forgetting a couple other people.

edit: dkwhip's drivers are no joke. They win every one of my races. My best driver, T. Miyamoto (brother of S.Miyamoto), cannot place higher than the middle rank. Looks like we know who got the success genes.
In my own races they're in the midfield quite often. But thank you for using them so often! ;-)

STG

dk_ said:
In my own races they're in the midfield quite often. But thank you for using them so often! ;-)
your stupid C. Mendoza is place 3 right now and my driver is the last

god I hate gaf bspecs, they all rape my drivers :(

h3ro

Mizzou Gaming said:
What is a Matte Red chip? Sorry Gran Turismo series noob here.

When you buy a car or hit certain milestones, the game rewards you with a paint chip. Some of these paint chips are in matte finishes. I've collected all the matte finishes sans red.

Oh yeah, we also get 5-10 paint chips a day just for logging on.

STG said:
I have 2 Matte Light Red and 2 Matte Red
you can have all 4 if you like, I really don't need the colours

psn id?

PM'd ya. :)

marathonfool said:
I mean, delete the patch, finish the NASCAR special events, then update to the newest version. Your progress should still be reflected.
Deleting GT5 from the Game Data Utility would also delete my installation. What a pita.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
brotkasten said:
Deleting GT5 from the Game Data Utility would also delete my installation. What a pita.

Yeah, there should be a way to "clear cache" like the 360 patch system, but nope can't do that. :/

Dead Man

Has anyone else noticed odd behaviour from the PP calculation? If I buy my power and weight reduction, and not the PP it will be say.. 400. But then if I buy drive line stuff it will shoot up to say.. 500 with no warning. So I took off all my drive line stuff and it stayed at 500 until I removed the transmission. Then I could put everything back on and it would stay at 400.

Anyone else experience that? Or am I missing the logic?

Question. I've got like 7.3 million. Should I get the Formula GT or should I wait to get 10 million first for the trophy? Also, what races can you even use the FGT in?

jamaniek

phosphor112 said:
Question. I've got like 7.3 million. Should I get the Formula GT or should I wait to get 10 million first for the trophy? Also, what races can you even use the FGT in?
I'd buy the FGT. You'll get loads of Cr in the further events anyway. You can use FGT in basically every endurance race and also in the Dreamcar Championship.

Quick question: I just hit level 21 and unlocked "Like the Wind". Is there a premium car I could use that's truly competitive?

I just blew all my cash on an Enzo, some tires and a spoiler and I'm always stuck way at the back of the pack. All the other cars in the race are standard, and I've wandered around a few dealerships, but all the formula 1 stuff will take me years to afford (I have about 120K in all right now), and none are my level anyhow.

Any advice? I'm strictly a cockpit view kind of guy, so I'm premium only with GT5. Am I screwed?

NullPointer said:
Quick question: I just hit level 21 and unlocked "Like the Wind". Is there a premium car I could use that's truly competitive?

I just blew all my cash on an Enzo, some tires and a spoiler and I'm always stuck way at the back of the pack. All the other cars in the race are standard, and I've wandered around a few dealerships, but all the formula 1 stuff will take me years to afford (I have about 120K in all right now), and none are my level anyhow.

Any advice? I'm strictly a cockpit view kind of guy, so I'm premium only with GT5. Am I screwed?

Mazda 787B.

Angst

NullPointer said:

Corvette ZR1 Race modded and fully upgraded. Pretty cheap (800k incl all upgrades) and it blows away the competition - even when B-speccing Like the Wind.

jamaniek said:
I'd buy the FGT. You'll get loads of Cr in the further events anyway. You can use FGT in basically every endurance race and also in the Dreamcar Championship.
Too bad the car itself is horrible :|

And money isn't really a problem until you start to collect cars seriously, you'll reach 10 mil. eventually anyway so go for it.

Dibbz said:
If you're suggesting saving replays as actual video files then you'd have a number of problems.

1. File sizes would be huge
2. You wouldn't be able to change camera's (eg bonet, cockpit etc)
3. You wouldn't be able to watch the race from any other drivers perspective
4. Frame rate would most likely be the biggest problem. Performance would take a huge hit as the game would be recording a video file during gameplay

I didn't think that a recording would require that much memory or processing power. My wish would have been to do multiple recordings, so you could use different cams and see other drivers.

I had assumed if they are simulating your race (replay), then a number of recordings would be less demanding.

Tbigum

Neo Member
Feel free to abuse my drivers as much as you want to, I'am running as much races as I can, I have 5 Bob's online, the last one is taking some time off, he was actually decreasing in the green bars when he went from level 37 to 38. His arrow have been poiting down the last couple of days, so he needs a holiday :)

PSN: Svampebobfirkant

Top Bottom