• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Dead Man

Mizzou Gaming said:
As many are aware I'm new to the GT franchise, but has painting cars always been like it is in GT5. I ask because it is unbelievably terrible.

Only being able use each paint item once and as far as I can tell no way to preview the paint on the car prior to buying and painting the car. How did the current paint scheme even get approved? Unbelievably frustrating to go through 4 or 5 paint jobs everytime since you can't see how its going to look on the actual car.
Heh, before this you couldn't even paint cars. At all. One day PD will catch up with the rest of the world and include a livery editor and custom paint colours. I thing by about GT8.

ga11agh3r

Neo Member
offshore said:
They should have used generated tracks in A-Spec as well. It's so bizarre that such a great, great feature has been so neglected within GT Mode. Here's a feature that can literally deliver a limitless amount of tracks and roads, and yet it's shunned and segregated to the sidelines.

Bizarre.

Sure, the generated tracks add a little variety. But they really are not a patch on the quality of the included (and in particualr 'world tracks').

Don't think I would like to see a-spec events on these tracks.

but more 'World tracks' would be welcomed...

offshore

ga11agh3r said:
Sure, the generated tracks add a little variety. But they really are not a patch on the quality of the included (and in particualr 'world tracks').
But when you're using the same tracks over and over again, it's gets a little tedious. When PD's world track asset database improves, there will probably be little need to integrate CM into A-Spec. But for GT5 it feels like a missed opportunity.

And warrior, what on Earth have you done to that Mercedes :p

ga11agh3r

Neo Member
offshore said:
But when you're using the same tracks over and over again, it's gets a little tedious. When PD's world track asset database improves, there will probably be little need to integrate CM into A-Spec. But for GT5 it feels like a missed opportunity.

My issue is that I 'know' they are generated tracks. If PD does manage to work some sort of magic on the track generator for GT6 and we get results that are near difficult to distinguish from the included tracks then why not?

AndyD

aka andydumi
ga11agh3r said:
My issue is that I 'know' they are generated tracks. If PD does manage to work some sort of magic on the track generator for GT6 and we get results that are near difficult to distinguish from the included tracks then why not?

The thing is they can use the generator in a way we can't. They can handplace stuff and make good tracks using the built in generator. All it records is a "map" of items and the individual PS3 then places those items from its stored disc database where the map tells it to. So they could easily throw together a handful of tracks every month and cleverly place props/environment to make it seem more real than some of the sterile auto generated ones.

The only real way we can tell a track is randomly created is that there is usually not a lot of "stuff" right near the track, but mostly in the distance. And also if there is an unrealistic curve glitch, which I have seen once.

Otherwise, if you put tracks in front of the average person they likely will know if its real, fictional or randomly generated if you don't name it or identify it.

ga11agh3r

Neo Member
AndyD said:
The thing is they can use the generator in a way we can't. They can handplace stuff and make good tracks using the built in generator. All it records is a "map" of items and the individual PS3 then places those items from its stored disc database where the map tells it to. So they could easily throw together a handful of tracks every month and cleverly place props/environment to make it seem more real than some of the sterile auto generated ones.

The only real way we can tell a track is randomly created is that there is usually not a lot of "stuff" right near the track, but mostly in the distance. And also if there is an unrealistic curve glitch, which I have seen once.

Otherwise, if you put tracks in front of the average person they likely will know if its real, fictional or randomly generated if you don't name it or identify it.

Yep that could work...

It's the 'sterile' environment that turns me off. With the inbuilt tracks there are visual markers that distinguish each turn and breakpoint. Give me those reference points and I'd be all for it...

AndyD

aka andydumi
ga11agh3r said:
Yep that could work...

It's the 'sterile' environment that turns me off. With the inbuilt tracks there are visual markers that distinguish each turn and breakpoint. Give me those reference points and I'd be all for it...

On some tracks anyway. Backwoods Nurburgring is as scary and empty as some of the generated tracks. But I agree, adding some brake markers and a few spectators or other props at key corners would go a long way to making them feel more real. Or using some of the excellent existing features like bridges, overpasses and whatnot which make it feel more human.

I still hope we eventually get more options for that feature, not close to Modnation Racers, but more in that vein. Create track, then create surroudings/setting independently.

Dead Man said:
Heh, before this you couldn't even paint cars. At all. One day PD will catch up with the rest of the world and include a livery editor and custom paint colours. I thing by about GT8.

still complaining huh?..theres nothing wrong with the paint system, it's an ingenious way for people to create unique cars without having a some nonsense editor.

i hope they keep it like this, instead of going with some kind of color wheel.

gamebroker said:
still complaining huh?..theres nothing wrong with the paint system, it's an ingenious way for people to create unique cars without having a some nonsense editor.

Come on, the paint system is like something out of 1994, it's terrible. Better than no paint option? Yeah, but not by much.

offshore

gamebroker said:

Yeah, we kind of already sussed out that you're trolling.

Angst

Escalation said:
Can a custom soundtrack now be used online somehow?
Yes absolutely. Just turn on custom menu and race BGM and you're good.

It puzzles me a bit why you just didn't try it yourself :p

AndyD

aka andydumi
fu3lfr3nzy said:
Anyone got a gold chrome paint to spare? I'll give you other paint chips (assuming I have what you want) or any car worth <1m ;)

I have it and its hideous so you can have it. Whatever car you want to send me is cool.

Add me Andyspants if I don't have you already. I can do it tonight.

AndyD said:
I have it and its hideous so you can have it. Whatever car you want to send me is cool.

Add me Andyspants if I don't have you already. I can do it tonight.

Request sent ;)

You sure you dont want anything specific? I'd hate to send a car you already own :p

AndyD

aka andydumi
fu3lfr3nzy said:
Request sent ;)

You sure you dont want anything specific? I'd hate to send a car you already own :p

Try to make it something fun. And if I have it, ill send it back. A DTM car would be nice.

I'm level 29 A-spec and 25 B-spec. I really want the X2010, what should I be doing here to open up the challenges?

Should I just grind A-spec and if so, which race(s)? With B-spec I can just set it and forget it which is nice, but I think the XP payout is less. Don't really have hours and hours to spend grinding which is why B-spec is appealing.

Any advice appreciated!

offshore

Ugh...I hate that. I qualify first on an online race, then the fucker takes me out at the first corner.

@optical, do you want the challenges or just the X2010? You can keep grinding to level 35 B-Spec and you get given an X2010; if you want the challenges, I just kept grinding American Champ Indy race. The XP has gone up to 18k if I remember right, so I think that's probably the quickest way to get to level 30.

I don't like to think how many times I've done that race...it'll be over a hundred for sure. Plus when I was grinding it, it only paid 4k XP ^_^

offshore said:
Ugh...I hate that. I qualify first on an online race, then the fucker takes me out at the first corner.

@optical, do you want the challenges or just the X2010? You can keep grinding to level 35 B-Spec and you get given an X2010; if you want the challenges, I just kept grinding American Champ Indy race. The XP has gone up to 18k if I remember right, so I think that's probably the quickest way to get to level 30.

I don't like to think how many times I've done that race...it'll be over a hundred for sure. Plus when I was grinding it, it only paid 4k XP ^_^
Oh okay. I just want the X2010, and I thought the only way was by doing the challenges (I have no idea how difficult they are). So what do you think I should do?

offshore

The challenges are...pretty challenging ^_^

It's worth getting to level 30 to unlock the challenges to see if you can beat them; you get an X2010 for all bronze, and they lowered the bronze times by ten seconds in the last patch to make it easier...but I'm still miles away. The general opinion is that it's easier on a wheel than on DS3.

If you can't beat them, then you'll just have to keep grinding B-Spec to level 35 to get one.

Chris R

Spectral Glider said:
Wow, 80s Japanese seasonals....there's what, 4 or 5 premium cars you can use for that? Awesome. And why does it seem like Tsukuba and Cape Ring are in every damn seasonal?
I'm thinking if the Seasonals continue to be what they are, I'm done with them. You don't get 1-6th prize money for winning first anymore, and 15k exp isn't nearly what it was when the first seasonals came out :( Oh well.

amar212

rhfb said:
I'm thinking if the Seasonals continue to be what they are, I'm done with them. You don't get 1-6th prize money for winning first anymore, and 15k exp isn't nearly what it was when the first seasonals came out :( Oh well.

Seasonal Races are not the same as Bonus Races.

Seasonal Races are basically online addition to A-Spec events, while Bonus Races are Money-Making-Machine.

Consider first as usual wage and second as a bonus.

Dead Man

DonMigs85 said:
Anybody willing to trade silver chrome paint? I can also give just about any car under 1M.
Send me request on PSN and I'll get you one if you don't already have one. ID is in my profile.

Hey everyone, I've been lurking and following the GT5 rollercoaster since forever. It feels pretty weird to actually being able to post here :p

So anyway, if anyone wants to add me for some remote bspec and "serious" online racing (europe times) feel free to do so: EdgeyPoo. I like all kinds of racing except drifiting (not good at it) and drag. Oh and I'm up for some trade too, though I only have 170 cars, not much of a buyer.

By the way. I'm very interested in GT Academy and I think I can be at least in the top 50 for Portugal+Spain, as I've consistently been between top 150 and top 25 in every previous time trial that I've tried, and that's worldwide. Unfortunately I've been away from my PS3 for the last two weeks and haven't been able to even try it, good thing it's gonna be open for more than a month!

So, is anyone here dedicating a lot of time to the GTA time trial? If so, how are you doing?

Angst

Risk Breaker said:
Hey everyone, I've been lurking and following the GT5 rollercoaster since forever. It feels pretty weird to actually being able to post here :p

So anyway, if anyone wants to add me for some remote bspec and "serious" online racing (europe times) feel free to do so: EdgeyPoo. I like all kinds of racing except drifiting (not good at it) and drag. Oh and I'm up for some trade too, though I only have 170 cars, not much of a buyer.
You should look at:
The Official Neogaf Racing League (NRL)
The Official Neogaf Super GT thread

This thread is mostly about B-spec and A-spec, so I recommend you to join one (or both) of our excellent leagues! :)

Dead Man

DonMigs85 said:
Mucho thanks, man
All done! Don't worry about a trade, I've got multiple silver chromes.

Risk Breaker said:

By the way. I'm very interested in GT Academy and I think I can be at least in the top 50 for Portugal+Spain, as I've consistently been between top 150 and top 25 in every previous time trial that I've tried, and that's worldwide. Unfortunately I've been away from my PS3 for the last two weeks and haven't been able to even try it, good thing it's gonna be open for more than a month!

So, is anyone here dedicating a lot of time to the GTA time trial? If so, how are you doing?
If you are that fast you can stay away! Nah, welcome to the thread, but as Angst said, you should check out the two leagues, both are very well run, and a bunch of fun.

Angst said:
You should look at:
The Official Neogaf Racing League (NRL)
The Official Neogaf Super GT thread

This thread is mostly about B-spec and A-spec, so I recommend you to join one (or both) of our excellent leagues! :)

Will do, thank you!

Dead Man said:
If you are that fast you can stay away! Nah, welcome to the thread, but as Angst said, you should check out the two leagues, both are very well run, and a bunch of fun.

Haha, I guess that did sound a little too arrogant. I'm actually little more than average when racing, but time trials are another matter. Even then, the best I've gotten was, IIRC, number 13 on one of those Kusabi TT, and that was after more than 1000km... damn I hate that car after so many kinda wasted hours trying to tune it.

Off to those threads then, thanks again.

AndyD said:
Try to make it something fun. And if I have it, ill send it back. A DTM car would be nice.

I sent you the only DTM trade-able after the 1m cap =/

Thanks for the gold chrome btw. Time to reek havoc on some luxury cars mwuhahahaha :p

My drivers are bringing me money!

Thanks to whomever is remote racing them! :)

The Ford GT LM Race Car just showed up in the used carlot and I'm 1m short :(

They should add a hold-car button to the used dealership.

offshore

Sony, Edge and Schick are doing some promo thing and you can get a "customized Chevy Camaro SS “Edge Special” for Gran Turismo 5" if you get the shave gel and enter the code.
5528511024_29b6b81217_b.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/03/15/edge-and-schick-bring-dlc-for-infamous-2-killzone-3-gt5/

And i´m at work, and can´t wait to get home and glitch Nurb.

Since people found out only today, i think we have enough time before the patch to get some money and save some time.

Really, really useful to buy the expensive cars you still don´t have.

I might buy the chaparrals and the Lambo Miura if this glitch is as good as the SSR7 one.

Konosuke

seattle6418 said:
And i´m at work, and can´t wait to get home and glitch Nurb.

Since people found out only today, i think we have enough time before the patch to get some money and save some time.

Really, really useful to buy the expensive cars you still don´t have.

I might buy the chaparrals and the Lambo Miura if this glitch is as good as the SSR7 one.
Wow, another glitch. Not as easy and quick as the SSR7 one and someone always gets the shaft, but prizes are +4,6million...

brentech

Konosuke said:
Wow, another glitch. Not as easy and quick as the SSR7 one and someone always gets the shaft, but prizes are +4,6million...
I thought everyone got money as soon as the time expired...
Anyways, I don't know if it's amazing or ridiculous that people actually figure this stuff out. I don't see how you find that one without trying.

offshore

Okay, I've just seen the video. How do people even find stuff like this? :lol

"Wait in this orange bit for someone to push you in" Some people must have no lives to lead ^_^

Konosuke

brentech said:
I thought everyone got money as soon as the time expired...
Anyways, I don't know if it's amazing or ridiculous that people actually figure this stuff out. I don't see how you find that one without trying.
Yeah, they do, I was referring to the guy who has to push everyone in. Everyone I've encountered so far fails at doing it lol.

brentech

While they had damage fully off, rightfully so for some of them, i had a great time racing a bunch of randoms at the ring today. Everyone used a RM integra or civic. Was fun to sit and watch as well. Ricers ripping up the course....

Top Bottom