• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Wow, 80s Japanese seasonals....there's what, 4 or 5 premium cars you can use for that? Awesome. And why does it seem like Tsukuba and Cape Ring are in every damn seasonal?

Spectral Glider said:
Wow, 80s Japanese seasonals....there's what, 4 or 5 premium cars you can use for that? Awesome. And why does it seem like Tsukuba and Cape Ring are in every damn seasonal?
Limited tracks. They should use some user created tracks.

DonMigs85

A kind soul sent me a 1967 gift coupon (I was hoping to get the Miura) and what do I get? A lousy 67' Skyline.
Please sir, may I have another? And also if I backup my save beforehand, can I use the gift ticket again and again till I get the car I want?

TTG

Spectral Glider said:

Yea, it's shit. What's the point of the expensive cars in the game if we can't use them? They got the F1 challenge in, how about a Le Mans prototype series? One for current models and the other for group C stuff.

I just realized that Earth Quake Japan means no GT5 developments.

I wonder if Kaz is safe?

I also say that this money ordeal is a massive-massive problem. What's wrong them, why do they want people to grind so hard? It's really not fair.

I want to play GT5 in 6 months from now with cars that I want to use, but I won't be able to do that because I don't have enough time to grind. What's the point in grinding like that, I don't get it. What is the benefit?

brentech said:
Really, that's what you're worried about...I seriously hate people and their priorities.

Really, this is the first time i've talked about the events in japan, really?

There's a thread to talk about it and i've been there, watched live streams, spread the word amongst my co-workers and family and more.

brentech

I'm speaking on the level up an earth quake rupturing an entire nation, and you're worried about it's effect on a video game....

Shaneus

DonMigs85 said:
A kind soul sent me a 1967 gift coupon (I was hoping to get the Miura) and what do I get? A lousy 67' Skyline.
Please sir, may I have another? And also if I backup my save beforehand, can I use the gift ticket again and again till I get the car I want?
Should've backed up your save before you opened the ticket, I've done it many a time with the Ticket 1000 and the level 24 that I have.

DonMigs85

Shaneus said:
Should've backed up your save before you opened the ticket, I've done it many a time with the Ticket 1000 and the level 24 that I have.
I'm thankful that GangOf3Point5 sent me another ticket. I just hope they didn't lower the odds of getting a high-value car.

nib95

Banned
-viper- said:

Great news. Also, hadn't played GT5 for a while as my disc is still stuck in my old and dead PS3 fat, but my mate brought round his copy today and we fired her up. Latest update was massive and took ages *over 600mb ffs* but once I had the G25 connected and the game started....God...

All my mates were won over. They struggled with the wheel at first but very soon adjusted. Forgot how amazing this game is to drive and race. Just sublime. Realism taken up that extra notch to when at times you could almost get lost in it all. The visuals...especially the cars, amazing.

Mainly played Arcade. Was disappointed to find full Nurbergring isn't unlocked from the start, just the arcade version. We're going to Germany soon and the plan is to rent a sports car and take on the track. So we want to all memorise it as best we can before hand. Don't think any other game does the track better than GT5(?) so we'll start and finish here for now.

Anyway, anyone know what all the latest updates actually do? I turned on full mechanical damage which was awesome. The weird smoke low res blur thing still exists but I swear everything else feels cleaner. Perhaps the shadows as well, not entirely sure.

Went through a tunnel tonight and for the first time realized there's no echo effect to accompany it. Was quite disappointing noticing it again and again the next couple laps. :(

Then I started noticing other little stuff, like how there's no sound to accompany shifting gears: cars go from one gear to the next instantaneously. (There should be some kind of subtle krrkkrrrrr in there - you know, the sound of the gears shifting.)

Then I started thinking about how vastly superior the tire-screeching is in NFS:HP compared to this game.

Then it just kind of hit me in the face: the sound in this game fuckin' blows. From half the cars sounding like vacuum cleaners to the other half you can't tell apart anyway, to the infamously lame "thud" of a collision ...

And it's just ... come the fuck on. It's 2011. Thousand-dollar 7.1 surround sound systems, $200 gaming headsets ... put some of that development money into sound next time, PD.

Dead Man

NEOPARADIGM said:
Went through a tunnel tonight and for the first time realized there's no echo effect to accompany it. Was quite disappointing noticing it again and again the next couple laps. :(

Then I started noticing other little stuff, like how there's no sound to accompany shifting gears: cars go from one gear to the next instantaneously. (There should be some kind of subtle krrkkrrrrr in there - you know, the sound of the gears shifting.)

Then I started thinking about how vastly superior the tire-screeching is in NFS:HP compared to this game.

Then it just kind of hit me in the face: the sound in this game fuckin' blows. From half the cars sounding like vacuum cleaners to the other half you can't tell apart anyway, to the infamously lame "thud" of a collision ...

And it's just ... come the fuck on. It's 2011. Thousand-dollar 7.1 surround sound systems, $200 gaming headsets ... put some of that development money into sound next time, PD.
It's the GT way!! Learn to love it, or go play something else!

Dead Man

NEOPARADIGM said:
ANd there we have the crux of the problem. No other driving game feels right in the driving, but every other driving game is less frustrating and sounds better and is easier to just sit down and have fun with.

Actually, when I put it that way, I don't know why I have higher expectations for PD than anyone else, everyone else only needs to fix one thing :)

DonMigs85

I thought PD went to great lengths to record engine sounds and everything.
I do get audio glitches or buzzing sometimes though, especially in the Cote D'Azur track.

Dead Man

DonMigs85 said:
I thought PD went to great lengths to record engine sounds and everything.
I do get audio glitches or buzzing sometimes though, especially in the Cote D'Azur track.
I think they just don't account for the excellent sound insulation most cars have, or the way sound changes as you enter confined spaces or open windows or remove convertible tops. I think they just too a sound sample from the drivers seat and called it done. Most of the cars have amazing and interesting sounds from the chase view, but that sound does not propagate around the vehicle.

Shaneus

Dead Man said:
Actually, when I put it that way, I don't know why I have higher expectations for PD than anyone else, everyone else only needs to fix one thing :)
Extended dev time. More money in developing. Eccentric head of development.

I think that was a rhetorical statement though, yes? Pretty sure we're on the same team ;)

Konosuke

NEOPARADIGM said:

Then I started thinking about how vastly superior the is in NFS:HP compared to this game.

If you stop your car at a tunnel and horn it will echo. I was quite surprised at that. The Nissan Z34 has great gear sounds. But yeah, tire-screeching is weird still.

Dead Man

Shaneus said:
Extended dev time. More money in developing. Eccentric head of development.

I think that was a rhetorical statement though, yes? Pretty sure we're on the same team ;)
Yeah, it was rhetorical, we are on the same team with this :)

offshore

NEOPARADIGM said:
put some of that development money into sound next time, PD.
I don't think it's about money, more about using the recorded sound files they already have in an effective manner.

Part of the problem seems to be that PD map the recorded sound to the particular view, so sound recorded from the cockpit is mapped to the cockpit cam, which while logical, isn't really a good effect. As Dead Man noted, a lot of cars have interesting sounds in chase cam, but that isn't reflected in interior. If I was PD I'd map the chase sounds to cockpit cam.

Although that's not obviously the only problem. It could be that the raw recorded sound files just are generally low quality. We don't know what mics PD are using, what techniques they're using, or what environment they're being recorded under.

nib95

Banned
Anyone have an EU GT5 save file they can upload for me? Yea it's cheating, but fuck Polyphony and their initial locked save file shit. Mine's stuck on my now dead PS3 60GB (as per my post above) and like hell I'm re-playing 30+ hours or whatever all over again. Till I get my PS3 fixed and the game updated, I need a substitute.

Mainly I just need Nurbergring unlocked in Arcade, as mentioned, we're going there in a few weeks and I'd like to get some practise on.

EDIT: Ahhh crap, they're locked to the specific PSN ID? So basically till I get my old PS3 fixed I'm screwed....

offshore

nib95 said:
EDIT: Ahhh crap, they're locked to the specific PSN ID? So basically till I get my old PS3 fixed I'm screwed....
They are indeed locked to your PSN ID.

And don't forget to record your Ring run and compare it to a GT5 run. It would be good to have a gaffer GT5/real comparision video ^_^

I'm sure there was an application out there to convert the file... I know for a fact that someone did it with my save file. Maybe you need a hacked ps3 though.

I'm doing a little spring cleaning, removing several of the "remote racing moochers" I have on my friend list. I will have room for some more drivers, and I will be doing a lot of remote racing while I'm watching college hoops this weekend so shoot me a friend request if you want some extra credits and/or XP.

Don't even bother if you never host remote races yourself. You don't have to return the favor this weekend, and you don't have to match my number of races. But please live up to your word and run a few races using my drivers when you get the opportunity.

Please send a friend request to URide_A_Shortbus and I'll get you going in my races. Please include your name on GAF as well. Those of you that have used my drivers thank you, I know who you are and I'll continue using your drivers as much as I can.

brentech

Finally got some of those BMW M3's and some Audi S4's off the used dealership.
Really wish the small sedan family was better represented in GT5, specially at the premium level which is pretty much non-existent.
I love me some BMW 3 series sedans, Audi A4, and even my own car in the Mazda 3 (regardless of which setup they chose).

Even 4-5 months after launch, I still am baffled at some of the crazy cars they decided to give the premium treatment (yet not finish some with a proper look behind view while driving), while there are so many great, easily available cars that could have/should have been done.

Finally got round to picking myself up a 22B! It handles so nicely, but I think I still prefer the Evo IV. 22 seems to be set up on a slightly more understeer dynamic.

Audioboxer

Konosuke said:
If you stop your car at a tunnel and horn it will echo. I was quite surprised at that. The Nissan Z34 has great gear sounds. But yeah, tire-screeching is weird still.

Is it sad that I read this and now want to put GT5 back in just to try?

Mizzou Gaming said:
I'm doing a little spring cleaning, removing several of the "remote racing moochers" I have on my friend list. I will have room for some more drivers, and I will be doing a lot of remote racing while I'm watching college hoops this weekend so shoot me a friend request if you want some extra credits and/or XP.

Don't even bother if you never host remote races yourself. You don't have to return the favor this weekend, and you don't have to match my number of races. But please live up to your word and run a few races using my drivers when you get the opportunity.

Please send a friend request to URide_A_Shortbus and I'll get you going in my races. Please include your name on GAF as well. Those of you that have used my drivers thank you, I know who you are and I'll continue using your drivers as much as I can.

I'll be doing this soon as well soon. Theres a few that regular remote racers who'll be kept. PSN: YobRenoops

NEOPARADIGM said:

Yeah, I noticed the sound issues after I put a good several days in of playing. It is disappointing. I think they put a lot of the sound effort into making accurate sounds for when you get in a car...but after that, it's hit or miss for what they actually sound like on the track.

Still, as disappointing as that is, fixing the sound is down on my list of wants for the game.

I want an improved and engaging A-spec career. The standard cars would be easier to swallow if they gave us more customization options like being able to change wheels and giving us some kind of livery editor. Also, I want a bonnet cam. There's one in the replays, just give us one to drive with for crying out loud! And that's just scratching the surface as I could write a book with what I'd like to see added or improved. Still, I do keep going back to the game. The driving is great fun. PD just needs a lot of work on improving the actual racing and the game presentation.

DonMigs85

Finally got a chance to do a remote race for youse guys... I'll be on vacation this week, so I should be able to do at least a couple per day.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I was gone for a while today and so I let one of my drivers run the 4 hour B spec endurance race. First endurance i ran. Paltry XP and a pice of junk reward car. For 4 hours. Terrible. I dont think I will run anything long like that unless they revamp the rewards to be more in line with the effort.

I also did a few remote races. I like watching the french cars on Nurburgring. And they need to start using some generated tracks for seasonals. The same 2-3 appear over and over, they don't even utilize all the ones we have now.

offshore

AndyD said:
And they need to start using some generated tracks for seasonals.
They should have used generated tracks in A-Spec as well. It's so bizarre that such a great, great feature has been so neglected within GT Mode. Here's a feature that can literally deliver a limitless amount of tracks and roads, and yet it's shunned and segregated to the sidelines.

Bizarre.

As many are aware I'm new to the GT franchise, but has painting cars always been like it is in GT5? I ask because it is unbelievably terrible.

Only being able to use each paint item once and as far as I can tell no way to preview the paint on the car prior to buying and painting the car? How did the current paint scheme even get approved? Unbelievably frustrating to go through 4 or 5 paint jobs everytime since you can't see how its going to look on the actual car.

Top Bottom