• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

offshore

Gotta say, find the right room, and NASCAR races on Daytona are awesome. Had a good night last night doing about twenty 10 lap races one after another.

Hope NASCAR stays in GT.

brentech

Yeah, NASCAR was unexpected on my fun-o-meter.
I had a great time using racing modified civics/integras/golfs on the 'ring the other day as well. Just a bunch of randoms, but we were doing 3 lap races and it was good times.
I don't spend a whole lot of time in FF cars, total traction monsters.

brentech

I think most recommend a racing modified corvette of your choice. I've used the team orca viper as well. Not as fast on Indy, but can still win it.

So my PS3 just died a YLoD death with my GT5 disc in the drive, is their a trick to getting a disc out of a dead unit? I have an unopened launch 360 on standby so I just need to find a way to remove the disc.

DonMigs85

Mizzou Gaming said:
So my PS3 just died a YLoD death with my GT5 disc in the drive, is their a trick to getting a disc out of a dead unit? I have an unopened launch 360 on standby so I just need to find a way to remove the disc.
Holding down or tapping eject as soon as you turn on the main power on the back might do it. Otherwise, you may need to try the hair dryer trick on the vents to temporarily revive it long enough to eject.

offshore

Man, I'm totally addicted to online NASCAR races. Just spent another 4 straight hours doing the same 10 lap race on Daytona.

Unbelievably addictive.

offshore said:
Man, I'm totally addicted to online NASCAR races. Just spent another 4 straight hours doing the same 10 lap race on Daytona.

Unbelievably addictive.

What´s funny is that nobody ever goes to Indy, it´s all about Daytona.

I hope PD is taking notes, because Nascar online is really fun.

If they correct the draft effect, and if they add the right settings for the cars (like tire pressure), it will improve a lot on GT6.

Also, the course generator should allow us to create ovals. With the simple ability to choose banking, and a few parameters live tri-oval, indy style, martinsville style, things like that, people won´t need to keep repeating Daytona endlessly.

It´s by far the most played online event.

I have a friend who hates Nascar in real life, never watched a race and still likes to race in Daytona in GT5.

I guess people really love the bunched up racing where it´s almost like a lottery.

offshore

seattle6418 said:
If they correct the draft effect
Yeah, it's just a little too extreme at the moment. I'd like to see the option of two draft settings, like real or standard, where standard is the draft effect now, and real tones it down and makes it more realistic.

They also need to come up with a better penalty system. When someone puts penalties on, if you glance the wall you get that 4 sec penalty, sometimes you just end up losing the draft and your race is pretty much over.

jergrah

That second Loeb challenge is killing me! I got so pissed that I went out and bought a Logitech wheel at lunch. I wish I would have bought this months ago, what a difference playing with it makes.

I still havent beat that damn race, but I cut quite a few seconds off of my fastest time with a controller in only 4 or 5 tries with the wheel.

CozMick

Banned
Been a while since the last "feature filled" patch.

Any recent news? or has everything been put on hold because of the Japanese earthquake?

Stoffinator

TTG said:
Yea, it's shit. What's the point of the expensive cars in the game if we can't use them? They got the F1 challenge in, how about a Le Mans prototype series? One for current models and the other for group C stuff.

No kidding, I bought the Ferrari F1 (worked my butt off for it) and can't use it anywhere but one Seasonal Event. Pissed me off.

Stoffinator

S. L. said:
i am ready to throw the wheel trough the window, how the hell am i supposed to beat the thrid lvl21 nascar special event? internet tells me to switch of ABS but i can only turn it down to 1. -_-

That is the only race I have left besides the two 24hr races. No matter what I try, I can't beat the championship. :-[

jergrah

S. L. said:
i am ready to throw the wheel trough the window, how the hell am i supposed to beat the thrid lvl21 nascar special event? internet tells me to switch of ABS but i can only turn it down to 1. -_-

This is my only Nascar Event left as well. I came sooo damn close the other night (pure luck) and thought I was going to get it and then a car slid up into me and I got DQ'd even though I was holding my line. [FACEMADASFUCK]

Ive also read to turn off ABS, but as you stated you cant. However, last night I read that if you have the Logitech GT5 official wheel that you can hit that red button and turn off ABS on the fly that way, even though you cant in the pre-session settings screen. I plan on giving that a try this evening when I get off work.

That and the middle Loeb Rally challenge are my 2 biggest challenges that Im working on right now. The Loeb Rally, Im not sure where/how to shave more time off. I feel like Im flying through the course and getting out of corners fast, but I still fall 1-3 seconds short of bronze every time. I had no trouble with the 1st or 3rd courses in that challenge. And yes, I have turned off traction control :)

offshore

jergrah said:
I feel like Im flying through the course and getting out of corners fast, but I still fall 1-3 seconds short of bronze every time.
I think that's your problem, don't go flat out. Just take it smoothly.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought all Loeb challenges were really easy, and beat all of them by 3-4 seconds. Though rallying has never been GT's strong point.

jergrah

offshore said:
I think that's your problem, don't go flat out. Just take it smoothly.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought all Loeb challenges were really easy, and beat all of them by 3-4 seconds. Though rallying has never been GT's strong point.

You are probably right -- I knocked the first Loeb challenge and 3rd (snow one) out no problem. My first time on the middle one I was 15+ seconds off of Bronze. Since then, I have always been rushing since I was so far off. Ill give it another go tonight and try your approach.

offshore

The trick with the second one I found is to be pretty agressive until the start of the long downhill, then just start driving more smoothly from there to the finish.

The NASCAR one, have you turned everything off, including ASM?

jergrah

After the latest patch, you are limited to what you can turn off/on in the pre-race menus for the NASCAR challenges. Everything is locked down and it wont let you change any of the settings unfortunately.

offshore

:O

I'll have to go and try this out....you can't turn off ASM? Jesus H...I did that challenge God knows how many times with the assists on, and I was going backwards, they just all pulled away from me; the moment I turned them off and I was able to stay with them.

jergrah

Yeah - all Ive read online is to turn off ABS as well, but you can only turn it down to 1. But as mentioned above, I read late last night that you can override the settings by using the wheel to turn it off, so Im going to try that option tonight.

I watched a few videos of Eiger gold runs and I think I have an idea of where I can shave some time now. Hopefully Ill wrap it up tonight.

offshore

Wow, I just tried it out, I didn't know they'd locked the settings. I have no idea how anyone is supposed to do the last Daytona one with all the assists on...you just lose the draft straight away.

Maybe I'm missing something.

jergrah

Yeah, I thought I was doing something wrong, haha. Only chance Ive had is to get right behind the Lowes car and stay perfect behind it through the first corner. If so, you'll be 1.3 seconds off at the first marker but can close in on that straight away. I got up to 6th ONE time but thats when an inside car road up and barely touched me which gave me DQ.

I really hope that modifying the settings in race with the wheel work -- otherwise Im guessing Ill never beat that challenge unless they update it with the next patch.

Angst

ssolitare said:
So which 900k range race car should I buy?

The Lexus cars have lower HP's than the Nismo's and etc.
Xanavi '06, '08 or the YellowHat are really good. The Woodone has some wonky handling. At least according to last seasons official Super GT drivers. :)

Dibbz

A bit weird that I got the Loony Tune trophy (spend an insane amount of money tuning a car) when I only bought Racing Softs for my NSX Arta :|

The air of experience trophy is stupid.

At first, I thought you can get it by just maxing out one driver's experience bar (thats how the trophy describes it), but apparently you have to do 500 races on one driver.

All my drivers are already level 40 and none of them have even close to 200 races. More recently, 4 out of the 6 drivers are starting to lose their stat points (green bars are turning grey) so I'll have to retire them since theyre becoming useless.

Apparently the "best" way to get the trophy is do Sunday Cup B-Spec over and over and over and over. Sheesh PD, everything in this fuckin game is grinding relentlessly and 99% of them are for pointless reasons *smfh*

/end rant

ps: oh and remote b-spec races dont count towards the 500 races requirement. Fuckin really PD??!?! >_>

brentech

fu3lfr3nzy said:
ps: oh and remote b-spec races dont count towards the 500 races requirement. Fuckin really PD??!?! >_>
Really? You sure, cause the count doesn't go up in real time. Only when you select "retrieve rewards" or whatever the button says. Once that's done, you exit out and back in, it should have an incremented count.

So are you saying that even with the count going up, it doesn't add? =\

brentech said:
Really? You sure, cause the count doesn't go up in real time. Only when you select "retrieve rewards" or whatever the button says. Once that's done, you exit out and back in, it should have an incremented count.

So are you saying that even with the count going up, it doesn't add? =\

I dont know this by experience, but I was reading over some posts on GTP and some of them have drivers with over 500 races (most of those remote b-spec) and the Trophy never shows up.

Unless, you need 500 races AND max out the experience bar, in which case PD needs to be more clear of the requirements instead of their vague "let them figure it out" approach.

Anyone else got a Nissan R92CP?

I was checking my garage today and noticed mine had an unusual high HP, and were talking about one from the used car lot with dirty oil, etc.

Supposed to be rated at 788hp, but mine was 934hp o_O

After oil change, it was like 1027(?) and with a Stage 3 Turbo, its around 1070+ which makes it the most powerful Group-C LM in my lot.

I figured it had to be a dud. If its a rare bug, well at least shes a keeper :lol

offshore

Seriously, PD need to sort out the system for pricks who start driving in the wrong direction. Just had an awesome race ruined by some idiot who turned around.

Why the fuck do people do this? And why don't PD sort it out?

Shaneus

It seems obvious now but I think it's how other games have done it... disable collision for cars going in the wrong direction. Could easily be patched in, you'd think.

fu3lfr3nzy said:
I dont know this by experience, but I was reading over some posts on GTP and some of them have drivers with over 500 races (most of those remote b-spec) and the Trophy never shows up.

Unless, you need 500 races AND max out the experience bar, in which case PD needs to be more clear of the requirements instead of their vague "let them figure it out" approach.

No.

I hated getting that trophy but my driver Peter Schuhmacher got it for me with 165 races.

What you do to get this trophy is create a new driver and start using him on endurances and high rank races. His experience bar will raise considerably.

Then when you are close to it, like it was my case, it´s just a matter of 20-30 tsukuba sunday cup races to finish it off.

But you don´t need 500 races. That would be awful. (as if b-spec needed to be even more awful).

On a related note, i just got level 40 on boring spec a few hours ago. Took me a while because i only did Le Mans once. Since i´m collecting cars, i just did dream car b-spec endlessly.

Now Nurb24 is running and tomorrow night i´ll be able to say: B-spec NEVER AGAIN!!!

---

The R92CP does have 1027hp tuned, so it´s not a bug. It´s one of the few cars i´m still missing, but i know it´s supposed to have that much HP.

As for the 1 million car choice, i´ll always go with a SuperGT machine.

Yellowhat GTR ´08 or Xanavi GTR ´08 are my picks.

Angst

As part of next season's schedule we are aiming to use one user created track. To involve you guys we are going to hold a competition were you submit your track to us and we will vote on the best track.

Once we have decided on a user generated track it will be shared on the SuperGT profile where you can download it and then practice on it.

Rules:
1. track length should be maximum 6 km (around 4 miles)
2. theme will be the Eifel (Circuit) theme

Prize:
Eternal internet fame for having created a track for the Super GT circus. :p

Submit your track by sharing it on your profile and then posting here that you have a shared track that you want us to try out.

seattle6418 said:
No.

I hated getting that trophy but my driver Peter Schuhmacher got it for me with 165 races.

What you do to get this trophy is create a new driver and start using him on endurances and high rank races. His experience bar will raise considerably.

Then when you are close to it, like it was my case, it´s just a matter of 20-30 tsukuba sunday cup races to finish it off.

But you don´t need 500 races. That would be awful. (as if b-spec needed to be even more awful).
---

The R92CP does have 1027hp tuned, so it´s not a bug. It´s one of the few cars i´m still missing, but i know it´s supposed to have that much HP.

Nvm the Air of Experience. I checked this morning and now it says I got the Trophy 2 days ago wtf!??! Just yesterday it said I didnt even have the Trophy ._.

As for my R92CP, the hp is 1027 before I even slapped on a Stage 3 Turbo. Normally a Stage 3 Turbo should bump up the hp to 1027, but mine was already 1027 to begin with (after oil change)

After I slapped on a Stage 3 Turbo, the car now makes 1079hp, which is highly unusual.

jergrah

I finally beat the Eiger Loeb Challenge -- Woot!! Felt so good to finally finish that track!

Next up is the Red Bull X1 Challenge, any advice on car settings for that one?

Top Bottom