• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Massa

Psychotext said:
They're doing it to get at all the content... I'm not sure they'd do it otherwise.

Hopefully GT6 will have only about 20% of the cars that GT5 has, then getting everything will be much easier.

Or it could be designed in such a way that getting to level 40 aspect and bspec would be enough to get you everything in the game that you might possibly want. Given that particular achievement alone would take upwards of 500 hours (before they modified the XP anyway) its probably not unreasonable.

Psychotext said:
Or it could be designed in such a way that getting to level 40 aspect and bspec would be enough to get you everything in the game that you might possibly want. Given that particular achievement alone would take upwards of 500 hours (before they modified the XP anyway) its probably not unreasonable.

Lets be realistic here, that makes way too much sense for PD.

amar212

offshore said:
Okay, I've just seen the video. How do people even find stuff like this? :lol

"Wait in this orange bit for someone to push you in" Some people must have no lives to lead ^_^

It is not really that simple.

I early days of Gran Turismo > early days of internet > main obsession of many players was to find areas where you could go outside of track bounds.

I still remember how magnificent Seattle looked in GT2 from out-of-the-bounds together with Rome Night for example. In GT3 out-of-bounding was even more pronounced, mostly because the graphics were astonishing for the times and again Seattle was among the most prominent tracks to being outbounded. Monte Carlo was also a favorite.

I see this glitching only as continuation of such praxis, only enriched with actual ability to gain credits/XP. Nothing new for the GT universe, only pushed into realms of neo-liberalism.

offshore

amar212 said:
main obsession of many players was to find areas where you could go outside of track bounds.
The only time I've ever done out of bounding was in GT2 to get the Pikes Peak to do a wheelie ^_^

brentech

Was screwing around with it yesterday. You can drive pretty far off into the distance and will still have houses and stuff pop up. Also pretty annoying yet funny when you suddenly pop on to ground again, looks like a seen from 'Jumper'.

ga11agh3r

Neo Member
CozMick said:
Wow, people buy games to actually do this? smh

Yeh the effort that goes into finding these glitches amazes me - this is something that you stumble upon by pure chance!

Saying that though, just because these glitches exist and offer the ability to get off-track, I like to attempt these for the hell of it! Just like I tried the SS7 (never actually benefited from the credit or XP but was really curious about driving out-of-bounds).

Call it a small but fun diversion from the normal 'grind'.

CozMick - you a fellow Stokie??? Good to hear from someone close to home (add me on psn 'galguy' :)

CozMick

Banned
Just reached level 30 and had my first experience with the X1

Holy .jdfbbliashbfkas flihabihwa cih shit!

This thing is absolutely bloody bonkers, Suzuka is giving me problems though......

brentech

The biggest issue I have with the X1 is that nothing really prepares you for it. And then when you spend a bunch of time trying to complete the challenges and switch back to any other car, everything feels weird for a bit.

Basically it's just completely inconsistent with the rest of the driving experience available in the game. I think they took it a little too far.

Yeah so I was doing some remote racing on La Sarthe and after my bob did an AWESOME race (from last to 4th), the race ends and all I'm getting is a black screen. XMB works though and it's being 5 minutes so I guess I have to restart the game :( Shit.

And I agree with brentech about the X1. I thought I was gonna get my mind blown, and even though I liked the experience and the events are very tough, I have only bronzed Monza and I don't feel much of a need to complete the others... It's just not as fun as a "normal" car.

I wish the GT5 reward system wasn't so awful that people had to do these glitches.

Hey PD dont patch the glitch, patch your poorly designed game. If a online race at Nurburgring actually was worth the effort in terms of XP and $ people wouldn't waste their time with this "cheating".

I personally don't consider it cheating. No different than B Spec. Actually, takes more effort than b spec.

offshore

brentech said:
The biggest issue I have with the X1 is that nothing really prepares you for it.
Yeah, it's strange they prepare you for driving a Yaris for 200 metres in a straight line, but no such thing for the X2010. It probably could have done with some licence tests of its own.

S. L.

i am ready to throw the wheel trough the window, how the hell am i supposed to beat the thrid lvl21 nascar special event? internet tells me to switch of ABS but i can only turn it down to 1. -_-

jett said:
Did they ever fix the loading times and the visual car damage?

nothing to fix...game still has the fastest loading time of any racing game on the market. games load, deal with it.

and the car damage is done phenomenally well, although making it a little more reactive to smaller impacts wouldnt hurt.

game is getting awesome support so far, i love it.

amar212

Dash Kappei said:

Yes.

1.07 update improved loading times drastically, especially in-between the menus.

They've removed constant streaming of data to server and hide it in buffer during the saving process.

Also, they've reduced loading of tracks via HDD by some extent, I guess they've made some RAM-usage more usable or something. However, gamebroker above is right: GT5 loading times were the fastest "on the market" even before the 1.03 update.

Notice that damage visibility have been increased in online racing, but also notice it still does not allow you to rip you car to pieces. Dents are now more vunerable to contacts and you can do a nice amount of dent-separation throughout the body - especially during longer session (10 laps plus).

However, it still heavily depends on which car you're using (Jaguar XKR have very nice damage-modeling for instance, TVR Tamora too).

h3ro

Psychotext said:
No. I've played plenty of racing games which load tracks faster than 40-50 seconds.
Unfortunately GT5's loading times are on par with the other large scale console sim racers for this current gen. It just feels longer in GT5 since there isn't anything to do during loads. At least F3 gave us some fun facts to stare at along with a pic of the track loading.

All in all, the track loading doesn't bug me much in GT5, its the between menu and new car ticket loads that annoy me. It just takes a bit too long to load up the oil change/wash area and parts store.

Has PD fixed the installation problem? For players who don't install, the game seems to install itself slowly even if you turn the option off. It got to the point where I had less than 36MB and it would refuse to run the game! I then deleted something to fix it...

Just 36 cars to go. Bought a Peugeut 908 FAP and the Sauber Mercedes C9 last night. Sooo good! :)

Thank (gaming) god for the glitch!

Apparently this glitch made people realize the Jay Leno Tank car is good to push people through walls. Technically, every track can be glitched, and very soon people will get the cars they want, get rid of the grind and live hapilly after.

I´m dying to test out SSR7 again tonight because it´s a lot faster than Nurb. Just a shame this method always require a Jay Leno Tank-push to work.

Lifesaver note for those wanting money on the Nurb glitch:

I spent a bunch of time feeling like a retard not knowing what to do to get laps in the 4´9 range, and here´s the deal:

X2010 with racing softs
stock settings
maximum downforce
TCS at 3

Map at 3, fixed to course, use 6th gear and get up to 280 kph doing circles.

It will work and you´ll be able to use full throttle and full lock to the right.

Easy to do. 5´1 second laps.

Removing TCS makes things harder, but faster.

Remember kids, don´t hate the player, hate the game. None of this bullshit would happen/be needed if you could actually get the things you wanted by playing regular carrear mode.

Since that´s not the case, and you want to be free from the punishing grind, glitch the shit out of this one until the new patch hits.

offshore

33-Hit-Combo said:
Has PD fixed the installation problem? For players who don't install, the game seems to install itself slowly even if you turn the option off. It got to the point where I had less than 36MB and it would refuse to run the game! I then deleted something to fix it...
Wait...is this how it works, the game refuses to run? That's pretty crazy.

offshore said:
Wait...is this how it works, the game refuses to run? That's pretty crazy.

Yeah, I thought it was something else, so deleted something small. Fired up the game again and the next time I turned it on it spat the same rubbish at me...

So I got to lvl 27 A-Spec and B-Spec.

I got the GT F1 and in like X time of B-Spec grinding i'll have the X1, so what other cars should I am for?

How good is the 1970 Ford Must trans-cammer and McLaren F1?

How are the other tuned cars from Spoon and stuff? What's a good 400-600 PP car besides the GTR, Italia, Lexus LFA and Lambo cars? I still get beat in my WRX or Tommy Kaira ZZII at that level.

DonMigs85

NEOPARADIGM said:
Flash Poll: Which car has the best (i.e., your favorite) interior?

Bonus Question: Which interior were you most disappointed with?
Hmm... toss-up between the newer Civic Type-R and the SLR McLaren.

Ugliest was for the Ferrari 330P, but even the real car's interior looks super-utilitarian anyway.

S. L.

NEOPARADIGM said:

i have only driven it in the license test, but i thought the Lamo Miura had a really nice interior

Angst

NEOPARADIGM said:

SLR McLaren, the Aston Martin and Jaguar Luxury has the best interiors.

Worst would have to go to the rally cars where it's like looking through a letterbox.

I think the Jaguar Race Car for my fave... not really sure about my least fave. Would have to be one of the rally cars for least usable though.

Angst

brentech said:
Yeah, what's up with that? Would a driver really have their view space cut in half?
I think it's a bit better in the actual cars though. And it probably helps them focus on the part that's important - the road.

Psychotext said:
I think the Jaguar Race Car for my fave... not really sure about my least fave. Would have to be one of the rally cars for least usable though.

Yes, the KJ13 racer is also my favorite.

My least fave? I dunno, probably a Volvo or something from the 90s just because those interiors suck in real life.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
gutterboy44 said:
I wish the GT5 reward system wasn't so awful that people had to do these glitches.

Hey PD dont patch the glitch, patch your poorly designed game. If a online race at Nurburgring actually was worth the effort in terms of XP and $ people wouldn't waste their time with this "cheating".

I personally don't consider it cheating. No different than B Spec. Actually, takes more effort than b spec.

This.

I did the SSR7 glitch to go from 29 to level 33. Easy EXP without endless grind (other than doing donuts/circles for 20 mins a pop). That speaks VOLUMES about the shit EXP/money you get in A AND B-spec for GT5.

Kaz doesn't get it.

(And I'm so on again and off again toward GT5. :|)

I'd totally do the Nurb glitch if the EXP pushed me from A-spec level 33 to 40, but requiring a second player to sit there for 15-20 mins doesn't sit well with me.

offshore

Favourite intertior would probably be the Enzo and the HPA Audi.

Worst...probably the race modified ones. I know there isn't too much you can do with them, but most of them just looked the same.

I just noticed this...

Massa said:
Hopefully GT6 will have only about 20% of the cars that GT5 has, then getting everything will be much easier.

WAT?

Why would you think having less cars is better? I´m glad GT5 has 1031 of them, and i expect them to expand the library, not drop models.

Judging by what Kaz recently said, i guess they are not thinking about dropping models anymore, since they want to create an encyclopedia of cars.

brentech

seattle6418 said:
I just noticed this...

WAT?

Why would you think having less cars is better? I´m glad GT5 has 1031 of them, and i expect them to expand the library, not drop models.

Judging by what Kaz recently said, i guess they are not thinking about dropping models anymore, since they want to create an encyclopedia of cars.
That was a troll comment in regards to people feeling like they need to glitch to get desired cars in a reasonable time frame. Ignore them..probably doesn't even play the game anyways.

brentech said:
That was a troll comment in regards to people feeling like they need to glitch to get desired cars in a reasonable time frame. Ignore them..probably doesn't even play the game anyways.

Seemed more like a "quality over quantity" argument to me. I pretty much refuse to use the non-premium cars, so the game only has a couple hundred cars for me anyway. :/

Edit: And it's still been a bitch for me to get them all.

brentech

If you read what it was in response to, you'd realize that it has nothing to do with quality. It was simply a snide remark towards Psychotext.

offshore

NEOPARADIGM said:
so the game only has a couple hundred cars for me anyway. :/
What do you mean only?

Two hundred and twenty premiums is absolutely more than enough. When you begin to buy them all in earnest and drive them - like I have - you quickly realise that. GT3 "only" had a hundred and fifty, yet GT3 stands aloft as both the highest selling and highest rated game in the GT series, and my personal favourite in the series.

We can all (legitimately) argue about the choice of cars that have been given the premium treatment or how hard it is to get them, what with the emphatically broken XP/Credit system, but complaints that there are "only" a couple hundred premiums rings hollow.

And when you consider that from here on out, the premium car count is only going to grow, it's actually quite overwhelming to imagine a GT with a collection of four-five hundred premium cars to a standard that nobody - literally nobody - is getting close to.

brentech said:
If you read what it was in response to, you'd realize that it has nothing to do with quality. It was simply a snide remark towards Psychotext.

I figured as much, after the fact. ;)

offshore said:
What do you mean only?

If you read what it was in response to, you'd realize I wasn't suggesting it was a small number. ;)

CozMick

Banned
Red Bull X2010 S.Vettel is MINE! muahahahahahaha.

First attempt on Nurburg and Monza, about an hour on Suzuka.

What an absolutely bloody epic machine it is.

Massa

brentech said:

I wasn't trying to troll (that's not even trolling) and it was a bit too snide, yeah. I apologize to him for that if it bothered him.

I still don't understand people who cheat or grind to get all the cars. I get some nice cars every now (have about 150 I think) and then just enjoy taking them to different tracks - even if that means Arcade mode (like I did a lot with the F10 before the Ferrari challenges).

Top Bottom