• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Is there any way to turn off the special events intro videos in the My Page(?) main menu?

I loved how in Prologue, its strictly one photo mode location after the other and I loved just staring at the environment with whatever car I'm in atm.

Nowadays, its always fuckin Jeff Gordon trolling My Page or other intro videos. I'll be lucky if I get ONE photo mode location playing on the main menu.

I remember in GT5P, All I had to do was press O to "start demonstration", but all that did was skip to the next photo mode location. In GT5, I cant seem to do that anymore. When I "start demonstration" it really does start some other stupid shit.

Halp? :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PetriP-TNT said:
"Hey I am new to this game oh a race wait wat is dis why am I lvl40 and can afford every car in the game and license tests give me blowjobs i am no good with computers"

There's a difference between fun grind and unfun grind dude, I've been over this with you how many times now?

Once you get level 15, the game becomes a grind to get to level 20 to do more grinding to get to level 30 which then becomes an EXPONENTIAL grind to level 40.

The whole EXP curve for the game is hilariously bad. I can't believe you defend it, but then again I'm not surprised by some of the GT5 defense force that has to go to other racing game threads on GAF to troll (see: NFS Shift threads).

GT5 would be an awesome game if you didn't have to WORK to bring some of the fun out. Unfortunately, it seems Kaz does not get it and lives in a vacuum about what would improve his game over low paying seasonals that don't help alleviate the A/B-spec grind.

You know the game is fucked up when you do all the A/B-spec races below level 17 and you haven't even leveled to 18, much less the 20 they want to open the next set of A/B-spec races.

the XP system is perfectly fine as is. It ensures that i'll be playing this game for years to come.

still level 29 here and there are tons of cars out there that i want to purchase.

Other games give you all the good cars as rewards which makes the game really lame once they throw you their best LMP car when you hit level 50. the evidence shows that no one plays those games any more... people are still playing and enjoying GT5 every day.

DonMigs85

gamebroker said:
the XP system is perfectly fine as is. It ensures that i'll be playing this game for years to come.

still level 29 here and there are tons of cars out there that i want to purchase.

Other games give you all the good cars as rewards which makes the game really lame once they throw you their best LMP car when you hit level 50. the evidence shows that no one plays those games any more... people are still playing and enjoying GT5 every day.
This man is certifiably, indisputabably nutz.

Polyphony

I'm not sure about you guys, but I didn't have to do any grinding in A-Spec until I reached lvl 27 or so (in part thanks to the early high XP bonus events). It seems that Kaz's pursuit of perfection is translated in the game's singleplayer experience. As I consider myself somewhat of a perfectionist as well, I had fun attempting to gold all the challenges, licenses and etc. By doing so, you should have enough XP to make it to level 27 easily. Along the way, I made a boatload of cash to buy most of the cars I wanted from the game.

Beyond level 30, I find there isn't much to do. The X1 challenge is a good way to earn additional XP, but the only rewards to reap beyond level 30 are the newly unlocked Endurance races, which probably aren't your thing if grinding is a chore. I myself, didn't even attempt the Endurance races.

Nowadays, I spend my time racing online, which is a blast, and I use my online reward money to buy new cars and tune them. What is the point of reaching level 40 again?

SiteSeer

ok something really screwed up happened to me, i had to delete the game data file v1.08 to gold the jeff gordon special events, now when i update back to v1.08 i get an error "insufficient hard disk space ... code 841" that prevents me from playing with the update. if i delete the updates i can play without them but it really seems a huge step back. anyone know a fix for this or do i have to wait for pd to fix this sometime in the future?

jergrah

Glad I read that - I was planning on deleting the patch today to finalize the Jeff Gordon challenge as well. I guess I'll hold off now.

ssolitare said:
I also think that they should eliminate the oil change HP increase property when it comes to new cars.

Yeah, it was fun as a sort of easter egg in the first game. Now it's just silly, especially for a game trying to claim realism.

DonMigs85

In some cases the Driver-Controlled Center Differential and the Torque-Sensing one are both configurable. Does it make any difference which one I choose?

Dibbz

Just finished the Laguna Seca Endurance in A Spec. Was really fun, took about 2 hours and a bit to complete. I wish all tracks had time changes though, would add to the endurance feel.

No idea how I would do the 24 hour races though. I was struggling to keep my concentration up about 3/4 of the way through this 2 hour race. Would be cool if there was some sort of online functionality for endurance races to allow you to switch out with another driver when you pit.

SiteSeer

jergrah said:
SiteSeer - Were you able to get the patch to take?
No I downloaded the full updates twice both times had the same error, but I don't want to waste time on what is clearly a bug. I've search round the net for a fix but it seems like the only thing to do is wait for a fix, or download only half the updates by canceling the full update mid-download and play on version 1.06. Between all the Jeff Gordon bs and this I'm just going to shelf the game until PD fixes their bugs.

I'm at A-spec level 20 and about to hit level 35 in B-spec. Got around $9 million in funds. I started to really play this game when patch 1.06 was released with B-spec remote racing. I have about 5 more extreme races and 3 more endurance races to complete. I will most likely not hit level 40 B-Spec after completing all the races available. My drivers were the recipient of many remote races thanks to GAF members. The leveling system isn't balanced at all.

To be honest, I don't really care about the leveling system. But I do understand the complaints about the cash rewards. I was looking at the used car lot and there were a couple of expensive cars I wanted to buy. Each of them were around $2-$3 million credits. I can't imagine grinding up to $10+ million credits for one car.

I haven't found to many issues with the user interface. I have one big complaint. The car menu should allow you to buy tune up parts or visit the shop. It's silly to go all the way back to the main menu just to meet a requirement for a race.

Mush

Remember, our contest to win a spot on the GAF Super GT Season 2 calendar by creating a track is still running. You have until the 31st of March to submit your entry! The rules are simple: no more than 6km in total length and it must use the Eifel (circuit) theme.

Here are some of the entry's submitted so far.

Angst - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHOpqPIOT3o
brentech - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFF3i2DZoCQ
Niks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqB4E6c43ak
SunhiLegend - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdoa9G_Edug
Toxa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pp7p3pC7EA

If you've submitted a design and I've missed you out, let me know and I'll make a nice little video of it and post it here. :)

TheSeks said:
There's a difference between fun grind and unfun grind dude, I've been over this with you how many times now?

Once you get level 15, the game becomes a grind to get to level 20 to do more grinding to get to level 30 which then becomes an EXPONENTIAL grind to level 40.

The whole EXP curve for the game is hilariously bad. I can't believe you defend it, but then again I'm not surprised by some of the GT5 defense force that has to go to other racing game threads on GAF to troll (see: NFS Shift threads).

I am not defending the EXP system itself, but Polyphony said what I think well:

Polyphony said:
I'm not sure about you guys, but I didn't have to do any grinding in A-Spec until I reached lvl 27 or so (in part thanks to the early high XP bonus events). It seems that Kaz's pursuit of perfection is translated in the game's singleplayer experience. As I consider myself somewhat of a perfectionist as well, I had fun attempting to gold all the challenges, licenses and etc. By doing so, you should have enough XP to make it to level 27 easily. Along the way, I made a boatload of cash to buy most of the cars I wanted from the game.

Beyond level 30, I find there isn't much to do. The X1 challenge is a good way to earn additional XP, but the only rewards to reap beyond level 30 are the newly unlocked Endurance races, which probably aren't your thing if grinding is a chore. I myself, didn't even attempt the Endurance races.

Nowadays, I spend my time racing online, which is a blast, and I use my online reward money to buy new cars and tune them. What is the point of reaching level 40 again?

The EXP system starts to get flawed AFTER the first 27 levels. Level cap should be 35 or something, because THERE IS NO REAL REASON to go to level 40, other than unlocking 24h endurances which aren't really fun for anyone. Yeah, those level 40 trophies are a chore, but I don't see a real reason to get them anyway. I am currently in a point where I consider to have finished the game (ie. everything else done except couple of endurances). I can pretty much afford any car, can tune any car and play any track I want, offline or online. Will I get to level 40? Yes, eventually. Do I need to get to level 40? Not really. Do I think that the game was worth the money I paid for it. Absolutely, I got tons of tons of content from the 500 hours I have played the game and I still have fun while playing the game. Maybe I'll never get all the 1000 cars at the same time in my garage, but that doesn't really matter to me as I have gotten over the OCD mentality years ago.

ChryZ

Beatbox said:
High five. Felt so damn good to complete those...specifically Suzuka. Face melting indeed.
Looking back at Monza and Nurnburgring I pretty much just brute forced my way through them. Suzuka took me ages, it actually required proper driving. I've learned a lot, very rewarding experience.

TTG

ChryZ said:

Well done. I only managed bronzes(by old standards) with a pad. A part of me wants to go back, but it's too much of a time investment. And there's only one reason to do it, I want to play more GT5 and I've run out of things to do.

ChryZ

TTG said:
Well done. I only managed bronzes(by old standards) with a pad. A part of me wants to go back, but it's too much of a time investment. And there's only one reason to do it, I want to play more GT5 and I've run out of things to do.
I hear you. The challenge and the car prize did the trick for me. There also another thing to consider: tons of exp, doing silver and gold on one of these is usually good for a whole level.

Does anyone ever saw/have a Mitsubishi CZ-3 Tarmac ´01?

It´s the last of the street cars i´m still missing. It costs almost nothing, but i can´t find this bitch.

There are only 10 cars left to buy, and 4 to receive as prizes, and out of those 10, one is this stupid CZ-3.

I´ve seen the rally version a dozen times, but the regular one...

Halp!

jergrah

Ill check my garage after this B-Spec tournament ends and let you know. If so, you can have it. If I dont have it, Ill keep an eye out for one moving forward.

jergrah said:
Ill check my garage after this B-Spec tournament ends and let you know. If so, you can have it. If I dont have it, Ill keep an eye out for one moving forward.

Thanks, i can give whatever the limit says i can.

seattle6418 said:
Does anyone ever saw/have a Mitsubishi CZ-3 Tarmac ´01?

It´s the last of the street cars i´m still missing. It costs almost nothing, but i can´t find this bitch.

There are only 10 cars left to buy, and 4 to receive as prizes, and out of those 10, one is this stupid CZ-3.

I´ve seen the rally version a dozen times, but the regular one...

Halp!
I have it if you didn't already get taken care of. PSN ErnieMcCracken.

DonMigs85 said:
Anybody also have the Rally version of the Toyota RSC? I can give you a Starion or whatever else in return.

I have it, though wouldnt the Starion be exempted since its worth over 1m?

And I want a starion really bad too :(

Lourio

ChryZ said:

Gratz! I just hit level 30 and unlocked the challenge.

I am having the hardest time with it - the car is damn too fast to keep on the track. Out of god knows how many attempts on the Nurburgring GP course I managed to finish it once, of course I was disqualified with about 8 seconds over bronze time.

What kind of setting should I attempt before starting? All assists off?

jergrah

I put ABS at 2, Active Steering to mild and everything else off -- using the Logitech GT Force Wheel. As stated above, I got Silver, Silver, Bronze -- not Golds.

I honestly don't think I could've beat that challenge without a wheel.

ChryZ

Patrick Roy said:
Gratz! I just hit level 30 and unlocked the challenge.

I am having the hardest time with it - the car is damn too fast to keep on the track. Out of god knows how many attempts on the Nurburgring GP course I managed to finish it once, of course I was disqualified with about 8 seconds over bronze time.

What kind of setting should I attempt before starting? All assists off?
Thanks, man.

Don't do Nurburgring first. The track is pretty "bumpy" and the cam shack will strain and fatigue your eyes quickly. Try Monza first, prolly the easiest of them three: fewer turns and smoother ride. I did all races with hood cam, because its elevated and more steady view. You can see more of the track and upcoming turns. Disable all assists, ABS 1, skid recovery force on. The biggest challenge is to find the best racing line, followed by perfect execution. Donno if my racing lines are the best, but they worked and you can't argue with results. Keep trying, practice makes perfect.

DonMigs85 said:
Anybody also have the Rally version of the Toyota RSC? I can give you a Starion or whatever else in return.

If it´s under a million i can duplicate no problem. I don´t remember how much it was.

PSN - FASJ6418

Ps: i already have the starion, so no paybacks needed. (unless you have a Genki Hyper Silvia D1)

DonMigs85

seattle6418 said:
If it´s under a million i can duplicate no problem. I don´t remember how much it was.

PSN - FASJ6418

Ps: i already have the starion, so no paybacks needed. (unless you have a Genki Hyper Silvia D1)
Thanks man, I'll add you up when I get home. Will check if I have that Silvia.

Angst

I've seen people complaining about the ridiculous grind, weird races with randoms online and braindead AI.

Why don't you guys sign up for the second season of the NeoGAF SuperGT league? Racing is fair, we have spankingly awesome SuperGT cars and we try to avoid being braindead.

Check out the official thread

If you can't commit to a full schedule, we would still be happy to have you as a substitute racer. Just fill out the form in the OP.

Race time in the OP is very tentative and we will probably move it to 20.00 GMT or 21.00 GMT. We have racers from all over the world so we have scratched our heads a lot to find a time that works for the most # of people.

Stoffinator

offshore said:
Oh man, GT5 is causing my PS3 red lights of death all over the place :/

I used my retired 60gig to do the 24hr B spec Endurance race, and it was making that system sweat. Yet my slim is quiet as can be.

Risk Breaker said:
I'm guessing the Genki Hyper Silvia RS2 '04 is not the same car, am I right? That's the one I own.

Yep, that´s the one, but thankfully a friend promissed to deliver me one today.

As for other trades, thanks Ernie for the lovely CZ-3.

Sorry Don, the RSC Rally Car can´t be traded. I think the car is 999,000 or something, but the added parts make it more than a million, so i guess that´s why i got the message of "this car can´t be given to a friend". If there´s any other car i think i can help.

DonMigs85

seattle6418 said:
Yep, that´s the one, but thankfully a friend promissed to deliver me one today.

As for other trades, thanks Ernie for the lovely CZ-3.

Sorry Don, the RSC Rally Car can´t be traded. I think the car is 999,000 or something, but the added parts make it more than a million, so i guess that´s why i got the message of "this car can´t be given to a friend". If there´s any other car i think i can help.
D'oh! No worries. Thanks for the offer though.
fu3lfr3nzy, do you have a non-upgraded RSC? Lemme check if the Starion can be traded.

DonMigs85 said:
D'oh! No worries. Thanks for the offer though.
fu3lfr3nzy, do you have a non-upgraded RSC? Lemme check if the Starion can be traded.

Yeah mine is unmodded :) . Already used up my trade for today, I'll try tomorrow (20 hours from now lol)

Top Bottom