• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Toxa

offshore said:
Then they're going to have to start. Forza has a livery editor; Shift has a livery editor, hell, even NASCAR 2011 has a damn livery editor.

What’s GT’s excuse?

ugly cars

Angst

Toxa said:
ugly cars
Yeah, pretty much.

I did agree with their decision previously, but I did a search for Forza liveries and there are some very talented people out there, so if I'd be able to access their creations it would be pretty cool actually.

offshore

PetriP-TNT said:
Not enough memory? :p
Well played ^_^

Angst is right, there are plenty of amazing Forza 3 liveries out there. A livery editor makes your car feel more personal, plus you could show it off to the world through GT's amazing photomode or online races.

Sure, some people are going to design some right garbage, but should that be a reason not to include a feature that's not only now becoming a required standard, but also a feature that virtually everyone would enjoy?

brentech

Angst said:
Yeah, pretty much.

I did agree with their decision previously, but I did a search for Forza liveries and there are some very talented people out there, so if I'd be able to access their creations it would be pretty cool actually.
Yeah, one day I was just going through looking at popular ones and shit, some people have some crazy skill.

While I couldn't "art" my own cars up, I could generally do stuff with shapes/lines to make really nice racing cars that weren't over the top. While I got that game late, I found it very cool that people could make CR by selling their car tunings, liveries, cars, and all that. Auction house pretty sweet too.

Dead Man

offshore said:
Well played ^_^

Angst is right, there are plenty of amazing Forza 3 liveries out there. A livery editor makes your car feel more personal, plus you could show it off to the world through GT's amazing photomode or online races.

Sure, some people are going to design some right garbage, but should that be a reason not to include a feature that virtually everyone would enjoy?
I don't even need a livery editor, just custom colours would be enough in terms of personalisation to get me over the line. Just more events, and more variety in them, and fields that adapt to the speed of your car. Pretty sure GT2 had that to some degree, where has it gone?

Gah, more game, less 'here's 6 unrelated events for you, then you need more xp' rubbish.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Toxa said:
ugly cars

No. No where close. Forza 1/2/3 has some amazing done cars with the livery editor. You just have to be willing to put in time to make the car not look like an eyesore with the 100(+? Now up to 500 in F3? 1000 in Forza 4?) layers that are possible to use on the car to make it look good.

Besides, Forza doesn't FORCE you to use the livery editor. If you want, just ignore it and paint the car the color you want. It's what I do.

"B-B-BUT I HAVE TO LOOK AT THOSE UGLY CARS BAWWWWWWWW"

dealwithit.gif, or bitch to Turn 10 to give an option to shush you.

GT5/6/on NEEDS to catch up to Forza. Hell, Forza 1 blows the pants off GT5 when it comes to the damage model and that was a LAST GEN game. Sad.

offshore

TheSeks said:
GT5/6/on NEEDS to catch up to Forza
For online, online comminuties and car customisation options, this is beyond question. Anyone who disagrees is frankly wrong.

Damage...heh. I'm not too bothered about that. Though I can absolutely see why some are disappointed.

I hate to be the one to say it... but there's a thread specifically for this sort of discussion. It's only a matter of time before someone says the wrong thing and noses get put out of joint.

Toxa

TheSeks said:
"B-B-BUT I HAVE TO LOOK AT THOSE UGLY CARS BAWWWWWWWW"

there's a lot of people complain about standard cars

"B-B-BUT I HAVE TO LOOK AT THOSE STANDAR CARS BAWWWWWWWW" ....

personally I'm happy to drive my Dodge Viper GTS R Team Oreca (best car ever) and it's more important than a livery editor.

a livery editor is not an important feature which make a racing game better ... I want more track, more car, day/night + dynamic weather on every track, more option (choose the weather on arcade mode ...) no I don't care about livery editor

Angst

Psychotext said:
I hate to be the one to say it... but there's a thread specifically for this sort of discussion. It's only a matter of time before someone says the wrong thing and noses get put out of joint.
^I'm waiting for the first shot in the screenshot war to be fired :lol

I'm with Toxa on this one, I prefer having standard cars than a livery editor. Of course it's cool, but standards wouldn't go well with an editor, and I'm pretty sure memory would be a problem too. PD made a course creator/generator which must have taken around the same work than a livery editor.

OMG the calibra touring car '94 appeared on my UCD yesssssssss

offshore

amar212 said:
I agree with you on this.
If amar agrees then I guess there really is no hope.

Oh well, if PD want to stay in the 19th century, that's their choice. I think it's going to hurt them in the long run though.

amar212

offshore said:
If amar agrees then I guess there really is no hope.

Oh well, if PD want to stay in the 19th century, that's their choice. I think it's going to hurt them in the long run though.

Haha, I mean, I do not know for sure, but Livery Editor is really the one thing that stands out of GT philosophy. Really.

There is that infamous screenshot of Kazunori's GDC presentation in 2007 (can't find it for cure at this point) where Livery Editor is stated among other bulletins. But I really find that "Livery Editor" in the GT series language means something totally different than what majority of Western players would perceive as one.

Although I do not know for sure, nor I have the ways to find out, in my personal understanding of GT philosophy, Livery Editor would be a very limited editor in which we could manipulate body color, maybe separate chassis colors and some basic vinyls and their position - but nothing even remotely complex as Forza.

Also, I see something along the lines of GRID/PGR4 as most possible, but with great control over real options.

I can presume that both Yamauchi and Tadashi Terashima are not fond of doing anything to authenticity of the models and that anything like Livery Editor as we see it would be consider as sacrilege in their eyes.

I know that Western racing genre have no problems with that but I can also fully understand their philosophy of certain canons and keeping the very object of the vehicle intact from interventions which I presume they would view as heresy.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
TheSeks said:
GT5/6/on NEEDS to catch up to Forza. Hell, Forza 1 blows the pants off GT5 when it comes to the damage model and that was a LAST GEN game. Sad.
Mechanical damage or cosmetics? Cause if it's the latter I have to disagree there. I'd take a rough-around-the-edges procedural deform model to any canned stuff, no matter how well that might look ATM.

offshore

amar212 said:
I can presume that both Yamauchi and Tadashi Terashima are not fond of doing anything to authenticity of the models and that anything like Livery Editor as we see it would be consider as sacrilege in their eyes.
I can understand their reluctance for sure. You've spent six months modelling a car, suddenly someone comes along and plasters stickers all over it. I get that.

But this is a feature that's fast becoming a standard. I went through GT 1-4 and never once thought about a livery editor, but now when you look at the games that support one - and the amazing results they can produce, not to mention the way a car you could have spent months designing could be shown off through GT's exceptional photomode....honestly, I think the inclusion of a livery editor is now what a proportion of the audience expects as standard.

I now expect it, and I never once thought about it.

It would be an incredible feature, and I think once Yamauchi saw the extreme skill and craft that some GT players would go to with the livery editor - and they would - I think he'd realise that while it's fine cater to people who appreciate cars as is, it's better to also cater to those who want to take it to that next level of personalisation, rather than making that decision for them.

Toxa

offshore said:
I can understand their reluctance for sure. You've spent six months modelling a car, suddenly someone comes along and plasters stickers all over it. I get that.

But this is a feature that's fast becoming a standard. I went through GT 1-4 and never once thought about a livery editor, but now when you look at the games that support one - and the amazing results they can produce, not to mention the way a car you could have spent months designing could be shown off through GT's exceptional photomode....honestly, I think the inclusion of a livery editor is now what a proportion of the audience expects as standard.

I now expect it, and I never once thought about it.

It would be an incredible feature, and I think once Yamauchi saw the extreme skill and craft that some GT players would go to with the livery editor - and they would - I think he'd realise that it's better to cater to people who appreciate cars as is, but also those who want to take it to that next level of personalisation, rather than making that decision for them.

but still it's not an important feature, whining for this is ridiculous ... there's more important .

dynamic weather is a standar feature since F1 97 and today in some racing games this features is nowhere to be found ...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Toxa said:
there's a lot of people complain about standard cars

"B-B-BUT I HAVE TO LOOK AT THOSE STANDAR CARS BAWWWWWWWW" ....

personally I'm happy to drive my Dodge Viper GTS R Team Oreca (best car ever) and it's more important than a livery editor.

a livery editor is not an important feature which make a racing game better ... I want more track, more car, day/night + dynamic weather on every track, more option (choose the weather on arcade mode ...) no I don't care about livery editor

The difference is, Forza has had a livery editor of 4 games. Other games are getting Livery editors. For most people, it's more important than track and weather. Sorry, man, but you're going to have to wait.

Standard cars are disappointing, and given how ugly some of them look to premiums (and hell some of the premiums can get downright ugly at times as well: Ford GT anyone?), I'd rather have a cockpit view and 200 cars if it meant a proper damage model + prettying them up in an editor.

In my world, though, damage modeling is more important than tracks and the pretty cars. GT5's damage model is HORRIBLE. There are times where I can tap a wall at 50 that generally wouldn't cause major damage (scrapes, basically) and the game will cause me to have damaged brakes/et. al. to drive with for a lap. Or you can purposely crash a car at 100MPH+ and the car won't even deform/damage. WTF.

Blu said:
Mechanical damage or cosmetics? Cause if it's the latter I have to disagree there. I'd take a rough-around-the-edges procedural deform model to any canned stuff, no matter how well that might look ATM.

Pure mechanical. Hitting a wall head on at 70MPH will kill your car in Forza 1. Full stop. You may be able to run it still (as it's a game) but it drops your speed. GT5's damage, again, it hit and miss and generally toward the miss. It's really sad after playing the Forza series.

And let's not mention the "point-to-point" races in GT5 are a joke. Hell, let's not mention that Forza 2 on have excluded them much to my dismay.

Psychotext said:

So, we can't compare GT5 with other racers on the market OBJECTIVELY in the GT5 thread? Gee, thanks Mr. Mod. I'll be sure to take you into consideration when I bitch bitch bitch about how disappointing the 5+ year development time of GT5 is and why they didn't even reach half the potential the other guys have.

Toxa said:
but still it's not an important feature, whining for this is ridiculous ... there's more important .

dynamic weather is a standar feature since F1 97 and today in some racing games this features is nowhere to be found ...
A livery editor might be "too much" for the holy GT series, but what about painting cars? Using paint chips for that is probably the most stupid design decision I've ever seen. /hyperbole

And it's not like you can access dynamic weather in every part of GT5. I think it's not even part of A-Spec.

offshore

Toxa said:
but still it's not an important feature, whining for this is ridiculous
Then I don't know what to say to you.

A livery editor is absolutely becoming a standard feature in racing games whether you like it or not. Forza, Shift even NASCAR have one. GT doesn't. Yes I take amar's point about their reluctance but this is the 21st century.

You've got to move with the times.

I've made my case why it would be an incredible feature; you could share photos of customised car through GT's amazing photomode; you could take it online an show-off to complete strangers or you could be proud at your creation in the comfort of your own home.

Is it important as dynamic weather? No, maybe not. But it's a feature that GT now needs to support. Otherwise you're just standing still. Something which PD have been doing a lot of.

Toxa

TheSeks said:
The difference is, Forza has had a livery editor of 4 games. Other games are getting Livery editors. For most people, it's more important than track and weather. Sorry, man, but you're going to have to wait.

Standard cars are disappointing, and given how ugly some of them look to premiums (and hell some of the premiums can get downright ugly at times as well: Ford GT anyone?), I'd rather have a cockpit view and 200 cars if it meant a proper damage model + prettying them up in an editor.

In my world, though, damage modeling is more important than tracks and the pretty cars. GT5's damage model is HORRIBLE. There are times where I can tap a wall at 50 that generally wouldn't cause major damage (scrapes, basically) and the game will cause me to have damaged brakes/et. al. to drive with for a lap. Or you can purposely crash a car at 100MPH+ and the car won't even deform/damage. WTF.

Pure mechanical. Hitting a wall head on at 70MPH will kill your car in Forza 1. Full stop. You may be able to run it still (as it's a game) but it drops your speed. GT5's damage, again, it hit and miss and generally toward the miss. It's really sad after playing the Forza series.

And let's not mention the "point-to-point" races in GT5 are a joke. Hell, let's not mention that Forza 2 on have excluded them much to my dismay.

So, we can't compare GT5 with other racers on the market OBJECTIVELY in the GT5 thread? Gee, thanks Mr. Mod. I'll be sure to take you into consideration when I bitch bitch bitch about how disappointing the 5+ year development time of GT5 is and why they didn't even reach half the potential the other guys have.

GT is a racing sim, and dynamic weather is a part of racing world, dynamic weather is a most popular feature for the big fan than a livery editor.

a game is suppose to be fun and driving starndar car is still fun, DTM cars, Le mans cars, ... are so good to drive they provides unparalleled driving pleasure and it's the core of GT since the first game.

they brought mechanical damages and that's not bad, comestic damages are cool but they can do better and that's more important than livery editor

TheSeks said:
So, we can't compare GT5 with other racers on the market OBJECTIVELY in the GT5 thread?
As far as the mods were concerned... no, at least when it comes to Forza. I have no idea if that still applies.

Toxa said:
GT is a racing sim, and dynamic weather is a part of racing world, dynamic weather is a most popular feature for the big fan than a livery editor.

a game is suppose to be fun and driving starndar car is still fun, DTM cars, Le mans cars, ... are so good to drive they provides unparalleled driving pleasure and it's the core of GT since the first game.

they brought mechanical damages and that's not bad, comestic damages are cool but they can do better and that's more important than livery editor
Is mechanical damage finally part of A-Spec?

Toxa said:
Yeah I want more ! day/night + dynamic weather on all track
It doesn't have to be on every track. Some events with dynamic weather in A-Spec would be a good start and make it less boring.

Toxa

offshore said:
Then I don't know what to say to you.

A livery editor is absolutely becoming a standard feature in racing games whether you like it or not. Forza, Shift even NASCAR have one. GT doesn't. Yes I take amar's point about their reluctance but this is the 21st century.

You've got to move with the times.

I've made my case why it would be an incredible feature; you could share photos of customised car through GT's amazing photomode; you could take it online an show-off to complete strangers or you could be proud at your creation in the comfort of your own home.

Is it important as dynamic weather? No, maybe not. But it's a feature that GT now needs to support. Otherwise you're just standing still. Something which PD have been doing a lot of.

I'm quite sure they can bring livery editor via update ;) but for now there's more important, PD must work and correcting defects such as AI, Damage ... and a lot of stuff .
a small detail like "Hard Racing Tire should last longer than soft tire" is more important than livery editor :p and there's a lot of stupid flaws that can be improved.

they can add more track, more cars (standar cars can become premium cars) , more features like export your replay in MP4 ...

they can do so much better with this game via updates

Massa

offshore said:
Then they're going to have to start. Forza has a livery editor; Shift has a livery editor, hell, even NASCAR 2011 has a damn livery editor.

What’s GT’s excuse?

I disagree with that attitude in general. At the end of the day each development studio has a limited set of features they can get into their games, and what I want from them is to focus on what they want to do and push forward in that direction. Not look at the competition and end up with "everything the competition has, and much more!" that simply translates into a half-assed product.

So yes, while Forza has a livery editor the GT series also has quite a few unique features that you won't find in the other game. Be happy Turn 10 is not trying to build a Gran Turismo game and PD is not trying to build a Forza game. Enjoy these games for what they are.

Toxa

brotkasten said:
Is mechanical damage finally part of A-Spec?

It doesn't have to be on every track. Some events with dynamic weather in A-Spec would be a good start and make it less boring.

I hope so man:) they can do it, mechanical damages works in arcade mode so I hope they will bring mechanial damages in a spec in the next updates.

once again IMO it's more important than livery editor.

Angst

Toxa said:
I'm quite sure they can bring livery editor via update ;) but for now there's more important, PD must work and correcting defects such as AI, Damage ... and a lot of stuff .
a small detail like "Hard Racing Tire should last longer than soft tire" is more important than livery editor :p and there's a lot of stupid flaws that can be improved.

they can add more track, more cars (standar cars can become premium cars) , more features like export your replay in MP4 ...

they can do so much better with this game via updates
Totally agree. If I have to choose between livery editor and the stuff above I will be glad to not have a livery editor.

Although it would be hilarious if PD did include a livery editor, with the catch that you have to earn the decals/lines/colours by doing something utterly ridiculous.

Angst said:
Totally agree. If I have to choose between livery editor and the stuff above I will be glad to not have a livery editor.

Although it would be hilarious if PD did include a livery editor, with the catch that you have to earn the decals/lines/colours by doing something utterly ridiculous.

And you could only use them once :D

offshore

Toxa said:
but for now there's more important, PD must work and correcting defects such as AI, Damage ... and a lot of stuff .
I don't disagree these are not important fixes, but the blunt reality is they should have been fixed in development and in the case of AI, it should have been fixed years ago.
Massa said:
Not look at the competition and end up with "everything the competition has, and much more!" that simply translates into a half-assed product.
I'm not asking for "everything the competition has"; I'm asking for one feature that would be welcomed by a large proportion of the GT community. It just also happens to be a feature that has proved to be a great success in Forza 3 by bringing communties together and enhancing the online experience i.e. with the auction house. I don't understand how anyone could be against this in GT.
Angst said:
Don't give them ideas...

Dibbz

I agree with Toxa. I'd rather that PD focus on the actual racing aspect than livery editors and the likes.

Day/Night and weather are the most important features that need to be improved on. Followed by more premium cars and cars from different series eg BTCC. Livery editors would be right at the bottom of the list since it doesn't add anything to the actual driving aspect.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
brotkasten said:
Endurance series is the one that shows apparent dynamic weather in A-spec. Though I definitely remember being rained upon at Nurburgring, followed by sunny weather, and I haven't done the 24h there, so dynamic weather must have been prominent already in the extreme series.

offshore

Dibbz said:
I'd rather that PD focus on the actual racing aspect than livery editors and the likes.
This is statement is completely flawed. Adding more features doesn't mean that PD are taking away the focus from the actual racing. I'm sure PD didn't pull the physics engineers off their project and say "hey, could you help us make GTTV?!"

Adding a team to focus on one particular feature has absolutely nothing to do with the focus or otherwise of the racing.

The logical extension of your argument is that PD should have never add any features like Photo Mode, GTTV or Course Maker as they have nothing to do with the racing.

I am just hoping to see GT5 at the specs it should have been day 1. Things that came straight from the Kaz's mouth that would be in the game, things on the game box, etc but are somehow still missing. Sure more weather, cars and tracks would be great. For me the priorities are as follows.

1. Endurance race saves - I want to finish this damn game without abusing my PS3 more than I already have, fuck you b-spec

2. Proper Online functions - Leader boards, qualifying options for races

3. Better reward system (more XP and Cr.) and more events than occasional seasonals.

4. Ability to paint and add rims to more standard cars - I have hit my "collect them all" phase and I love making each car my own. I don't need a full blown livery editor but I would like to be able to change some things other than paint. Just let me put the number badge that is on the RM cars on all my cars!!! That is all I want, nothing major, just enhance what is already there.

What we´ve been saying for the last couple of years is that GT needs it´s Ryan Payton to change some odd and awful game design decisions.

Most of GT problems are not technichal ones, but instead they are a bunch of puzzling decisions.

We keep asking for this because nobody does Gran Turismo like Gran Turismo does. Some games might have better features, but they are not GT, that why we want "our" game to implemente some universal acclaimed features and options.

PD and Kaz had showed time and time again that one of their problems is that they are so closed and focus on their own development - and for so long - that they lost a bit of their connection with their fan base.

They need someone from the outside to give them ideas, suggest changes. I don´t think it´s just a community manager like Che was for Forza, because the way things are set up now, all ideas would be falling on death ears. They need a Ryan Payton, a guy that is a producer with a active voice to change the game.

Some of Kaz responses are actually funny, like on a recent interview in which he said "people want Midfield? yeah, we can do that", or back when they implemented HUD options after 10 years of people asking and he said "We could technicaly do this, if users want".

Asking for a gazzillion cars and tracks is asking for technichal work. I know i want some of those, but i understand the shortcomings.

But asking for common sense, that´s not hard.

GT5 can be a much better game (it´s already very good) with a few tweaks that we´ve been asking since release.

spats said:
Payton propably isn't the best example. He ruined the MGS franchise and then bailed Konami to join Microsoft. ;)

Different taste i guess. I personally loved MGS4 and the changes made in gameplay.

Still, i´m sure we can come up with a different example.

spats

seattle6418 said:
Different taste i guess. I personally loved MGS4 and the changes made in gameplay.

Still, i´m sure we can come up with a different example.

Don't mind me, I was just being facetious. I liked MGS4 too. :p

NullPointer said:
Speaking of wanting things...

What are the chances we'll see new tracks, new premium cars, race mods, etc. in the near future?

There were rumors about Pikes Peak coming to GT5 some time ago but at this point I'm starting to think it was just hot air. Still surely there will be something down the line.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/12/31/pikes-peak-to-feature-in-gt5/

It's the kind of game where you just assume there will be DLC because of how it's structured. A lot of people would propably gladly pay for new special missions so it's weird that they haven't come out with something.

Don´t forget they visited, took pictures and scanned Spa Francorchamps, so it´s "in the pipeline" like they say.

People were surprised Spa wasn´t in GT5 from the start. Question is if they will hold for GT6 or release it as DLC for GT5.

Speaking of news, there´s a little interview with Kaz here: http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3409863?start=0&tstart=0
(can´t give direct link, but on the first post of this one you can read it).

Even he admits the problem with clone cars and how this relates to the 90´s culture in Japan.

Back on point: he confirms they are working on cars and tracks, which is a very good sign.

Great to hear. Of all things I'd like to see added it'd be more tracks, as well as more variations on those tracks through practice mode. Spa is one of my all time favorites so I'd pick that one up in a heartbeat.

Kaze13

TheSeks said:

Damage modeling is more important to you but please Kaz, don't listen to this man. Give me tracks and cars. Damage modeling...wtf. I don't aim to fuck up my car.

What game have you been playing? With full damage, your car can get fucked up mechanically. It is not an enjoyable driving experience.

amar212 said:
Haha, I mean, I do not know for sure, but Livery Editor is really the one thing that stands out of GT philosophy. Really.

There is that infamous screenshot of Kazunori's GDC presentation in 2007 (can't find it for cure at this point) where Livery Editor is stated among other bulletins. But I really find that "Livery Editor" in the GT series language means something totally different than what majority of Western players would perceive as one.

hopefully it means the import/export option pc racing games use, these built in livery editors are clumsy and time consuming to use.

Back on point: he confirms they are working on cars and tracks, which is a very good sign.

wallet raping time...

offshore

seattle6418 said:
This was a given though, wasn't it ^_^

Maybe now that the pressure is off the car and track modellers in that there's no constant expectant release date, they can really knuckle down over the next two years and really build up the asset database for GT6 release in late 2012.

I think this comes to down to an issue with fundamentally different expectations for a game.

You see this from a lot of our (but not all) US colleagues. They all want:

Drag Racing
Livery Editor
Showing off your "pimped" car online
NASCAR

They've got a limited form of NASCAR but the rest isn't high priority as the game mostly sells in Japan/EU/Other where these things aren't wanted. I know there will be some exceptions to this but GT is fundamentally a game pitched at non-US customers I believe.

My 2p. Feel free to crucify.

The interview was funny. "Thanks for making us less grind in A-Spec, Kaz!" and "I'd have wanted another two years of development time" are the highlights. "We didn't communicate with other studios" gets an honorable mention.

offshore said:
This was a given though, wasn't it ^_^

Maybe now that the pressure is off the car and track modellers in that there's no constant expectant release date, they can really knuckle down over the next two years and really build up the asset database for GT6 release in late 2012.
I really, really hope GT6 comes for the PS3. GT5 was one of the reasons I bought a PS3 and the main reason I bought a G27 and a PSeye and I don't think that Kaz has delivered the game he promised, hyped and wanted.

GT6, PS3, $60. I'll be there, day one.

krioto

I couldn't care less about livery editor or damage for that matter - I play GT for racing.

I want more tracks, more a-spec events - do that and I'll be happy.

Top Bottom