• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

offshore

brotkasten said:
I really, really hope GT6 comes for the PS3.
Yeah, me too. It would do Polyphony good to get on a regular dev cycle, as we've seen that over a long dev time, the project can get away from PD. They could also take the opportunity to introduce new features that they could enhance, refine and build on for GT on PS4.

Business wise, it's also easy money for Sony. The game engine is rock solid; you've got plenty of premium cars in the bank, so you don't need to waste time and money remodelling them again. GT6 in late 2012 for PS3 seems like an absolute no-brainer to me.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
offshore said:
Yeah, me too. It would do Polyphony good to get on a regular dev cycle, as we've seen that over a long dev time, the project can get away from PD. They could also take the opportunity to introduce new features that they could enhance, refine and build on for GT on PS4.

Business wise, it's also easy money for Sony. The game engine is rock solid; you've got plenty of premium cars in the bank, so you don't need to waste time and money remodelling them again. GT6 in late 2012 for PS3 seems like an absolute no-brainer to me.
Moreover, a good deal of PD's graphics tech and 'premium' assets now are PS3-optimised. Next generation of console GPU tech will be all about displacement mapping in the modeling department, and that is a serious paradigm shift. PD spending all this time to fine-tune their polygonal engine and optimise their mesh loads, just to release one title, and then scrap those or face uphill battle with the competition who will likely be utilizing DM tech, sounds like a massive inefficiency of dev time to me.

Of course, that unless PS4 is PS3s + duct tape ; )

Dibbz

krioto said:
I couldn't care less about livery editor or damage for that matter - I play GT for racing.

I want more tracks, more a-spec events - do that and I'll be happy.
We get new a-spec events nearly every week in the form of seasonals.

offshore

krioto said:
I couldn't care less about livery editor or damage for that matter - I play GT for racing.
That's fine, if that's what GT is to you then there's absolutely no problem with that.

But some people have got to appreciate that there are absolutely people out there who are expecting a livery editor and better damage. In fact, a livery editor is on page one of GTPlanet's "Feedback" page with nearly 3000 votes.

It's not just solely about the racing to everyone.

Dead Man

Dibbz said:
We get new a-spec events nearly every week in the form of seasonals.
Not really. All they need to do is leave them there, so people can continue to enjoy them, and they have doubled their event list. Why is there no race for non Japanese non racing FR cars at Fuji? Why is there almost no usage of the excellent Eiger tracks after the first level? Why ware there not more off road events using all the great Eiger offroad variations? Why are there so few events? They have plenty of tracks, and hundreds of cars, but you can get through the game driving about 60 of them. Then there are hundreds of cars for which no good event exists. Why is there no create an event for xp/money offline? Pick a track/pp and go race for Cr/xp tailored to the length of the race, and how close to your selected max pp the car you drove was. It would be so simple, and add so much re playability.

It has to be the easiest thing to fix, and yet it isn't.

brentech

Yea. I hate how I can choose a create track to race on, which it does use similar powered cars, but then doesn't reward you anything for it. Such an easy thing to include based on the amount of distance driven. A small tweak to add sooooo much more.

brentech said:
Yea. I hate how I can choose a create track to race on, which it does use similar powered cars, but then doesn't reward you anything for it.
This is a big one for me. You should be able to create your own events offline and still gain XP and cash. Being limited to A-spec and online events kinda rots. And for me B-spec doesn't really exist.

AndyD

aka andydumi
offshore said:
That's fine, if that's what GT is to you then there's absolutely no problem with that.

But some people have got to appreciate that there are absolutely people out there who are expecting a livery editor and better damage. In fact, a livery editor is on page one of GTPlanet's "Feedback" page with nearly 3000 votes.

It's not just solely about the racing to everyone.

Right.

While I love the racing, I would also enjoy a better livery/painting method. Even if not a fully featured importing editor a la Forza, at least offer preset design patterns and let us change the colors. Side stripes, center stripes, numbers and so forth at least.

But what I would want to get more than livery and improved damage is a better track creator, or at least more options for locations and per sector options, and also the inclusion of some of these generated tracks into A-spec. Why can't we have each of the current existing environments available for generation?

Sure I would love some classic tracks such as Pikes Peak, Bathurst, Old Hockenheim, Spa and others and more modern cars from existing manufacturers. And not just supercars or prototypes but more of the regular every day cars from the mainline guys, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Ford and such.

And include full blown damage in A-spec. Make it progressive, as you go up in level its more and more realistic to enhance the challenge.

I am pessimistic as to small DLC though. I have a feeling we might get a large Spec II revision for free pre-E3 to counter bad press though and give them a chance to show off something new. I just hope it is substantial enough to quell criticisms.

Toxa

I just heard some rumors about Polyphony at E3, they should announce something at E3 and they want to focus on Europe ...

I hope that's true

brentech said:
Yea. I hate how I can choose a create track to race on, which it does use similar powered cars, but then doesn't reward you anything for it. Such an easy thing to include based on the amount of distance driven. A small tweak to add sooooo much more.

And another thing, you pick a track from within the game and all you get to race with is a one make race. Why do the user created tracks only get to race with a variety of cars and not the others? Fix it and bring back GT2's cup generator for crying out loud.

And everyone's tastes are different. For me, I'll take a much improved career mode first with improved AI. Then a normal paint system and wheel changing for all cars, then more cars and tracks and perhaps a real livery editor if possible. Day/Night and weather changes are far, far down my list of wants. But things like competent menus shouldn't have to be requested, they should have been fixed from the start.

offshore

Toxa said:
I just heard some rumors about Polyphony at E3, they should announce something at E3 and they want to focus on Europe ...
I want to believe, but they want to use an NA conference to focus on Europe? Hmm.

Oh well, only ten weeks to wait ^_^

spats

I just find it funny that they're making announcements like that on an auxiliary account. There isn't even an official Gran Turismo twitter account, even though most game companies now days create news accounts for every new game and even for select DLC packs (the Borderlands General Knoxx account comes to mind.)

They have a ton of US and EU producers and PR folks, how hard can it be to maintain such basic public relations channels?

brentech

Since I usually devote my GT5 time to the GAF racing leagues, I can't say I've spent a huge dose of time with all the HUD turned off in the premiums.

Since I'm not able to compete in this weekend's event, I've been doing exactly that. I have 700 cars, but so few that I've put any time in at all. So I've been picking events in the expert series or maybe one lower, and driving mostly premiums and some cool standards that I hadn't yet given a chance.

And damn, once I turned all the HUD and map off, it's just a total car-gasm all over again. Really liked the Audi R8 interior, but a little tough to control on the 'ring with it's stock 'sports - hard' tires.
In wanting to drive cars I haven't yet, I totally re-doubled my love for this game by just driving events to test them out. It's pure bliss with a wheel.

<3

I think the real question now that only the hardcore users keep looking this thread, is this:

How can you not be in our SuperGT league?

I mean, just head over the thread, register, and let´s have some good races.

If you are still a regular on this thread, then i guess SuperGT league is a must for you.

:)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
gutterboy44 said:
1.09 live. Seems to be fuck all other than glitch patch. I hate you Kaz.

Well, not like that last glitch was useful. (FUCK YOU KAZ, I WAS ACTUALLY LEVELING WITH THE GT-R SSR7 GLITCH)

Still, not fixing the EXP cap/grind. *siiigh*

Mobius 1

Screenshot2011-04-06at104840PM.png

He lives.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
seattle6418 said:
I think the real question now that only the hardcore users keep looking this thread, is this:

How can you not be in our SuperGT league?
Because the headset is required and not optional.
Unless that is changed ( also because list time I checked the race times were a bit annoying for GMT/GMT+1 users.

Mush

Dash Kappei said:
Unless that is changed ( also because list time I checked the race times were a bit annoying for GMT/GMT+1 users.
Wha?! Where does it say that a headset is required? I can assure you that's never been the case.

amar212

offshore said:
I want to believe, but they want to use an NA conference to focus on Europe? Hmm.

Oh well, only ten weeks to wait ^_^

Here is the original *rumor* from some French forums:

l_p4CCAh_original.jpg

- Polyphony Digital are returning with a new title before March 2012
- Polyphony would like to make Europe a privilege for its next title. "Please don't underestimate their work even if they dissapointed some of you."

http://www.hookedgamers.com/blogs/c...or_leaked_details_of_sony_e3_2011_lineup.html

Could be interesting. Time to make some phone calls. Now I really smell Spec II.

BTW We're 11 posts from 10000, where is the OP3? Goldrusher, where are thou?

Mush

amar212 said:
Could be interesting. Time to make some phone calls. Now I really smell Spec II.
In my own twisted mind, it's starting to make sense why PD have this long period of "silence". Maybe they really are just hard at work on something for E3?

(BELIEVE)

amar212

Mush said:
Maybe they really are just hard at work on something for E3?

Maybe Yamauchi is finally going to showcase GT5 as it should have been, before Stringer and Tretton lined up their crap and forced their "November 2010" plan after forcing E3 2010 date unveiling.

Angst

Dash Kappei said:
Race times are fine for us Europeans. In the OP it says "23.00 GMT" but that will most likely be changed to 22.00 CET.

offshore said:
If amar agrees then I guess there really is no hope.

Kaz said before GT5 was released that they were currently building a livery editor but it wouldn't be ready for GT5. So it's coming. Probably will be for the next game as I doubt they'll patch for GT5.

offshore

- Polyphony Digital are returning with a new title before March 2012
- Polyphony would like to make Europe a privilege for its next title. "Please don't underestimate their work even if they dissapointed some of you."
Accuracy questions aside, I would have thought this "new title" is the NGP game. We don't know how long they've been working on it. OTOH if it is a big GT5 update, then like I said previously it makes plenty of sense. It's an easy way to get a second wind and it's free publicity.

I don't think anyone underestimates their work, certainly not the assets or the foundation that PD have laid. It's the game part that's the big problem.

EDIT: Might not be the NGP game as NGP probably won't be out in all territories by March. lol who knows.

Mush

Unless they have SCE screaming down their throats, I doubt PD will be working on a GT game for the NGP. At least not for the launch window. I mean we didn't even get a target render or a teaser trailer or anything from PD when it was first shown.

Massa

Mush said:
Unless they have SCE screaming down their throats, I doubt PD will be working on a GT game for the NGP. At least not for the launch window. I mean we didn't even get a target render or a teaser trailer or anything from PD when it was first shown.

They probably learned their lesson about showing it off too early. I have no doubts GT will come to NGP eventually, it's a new Sony console and their biggest franchise.

Mush said:

If there is a NGP game it better be just the PS3 version Spec II running on it. Two seperate GT games would be awful. I want to take my GT5 game with me, not do remote B-Spec. That shit is boring...and unfortunately the most viable income source (I miss you Nurb. glitch)

I noticed last night that all of the seasonal events have the same expiration date now. Is this normally how it is? Never really took notice. Maybe a big update will hit when all expire?

Top Bottom