• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Dead Man said:
I agree with this post. Fuck NGP, I want some good shit for the console I already own!

I want GT5 to be the game it should have been day one. Nothing absurd, just fixed and maybe a hint of a DLC plan. This game is so structured for DLC content I can't believe all we have is seasonals so far.

Dead Man

gutterboy44 said:
I want GT5 to be the game it should have been day one. Nothing absurd, just fixed and maybe a hint of a DLC plan. This game is so structured for DLC content I can't believe all we have is seasonals so far.
Yeah, while the list of things I would LIKE is immense, the list of things I think GT5 NEEDS to be a complete game is small.

1. Event generator
2. Fix the colour system
3. Communications with the community
4. Fix the XP and Cr ratios.

Done.

Dead Man said:
Yeah, while the list of things I would LIKE is immense, the list of things I think GT5 NEEDS to be a complete game is small.

1. Event generator
2. Fix the colour system
3. Communications with the community
4. Fix the XP and Cr ratios.
5. Save during Endurance and Championships
Done.

Fixed. The former feature was said to be in the game by Kaz a few months before release. The latter feature has been in every GT game up until GT5. So god damn dumb that it was taken out.

-viper-

Banned
I wouldn't mind them releasing a new game as long as it has a revamped career system and there is no awful level progression system like this game.

I want no compromises made in the next GT. I want 60FPS, all premium cars, no jaggies, damage, great career mode, saving between championships and endurance races, and a plethora of tracks with all night option.

Dead Man

gutterboy44 said:
Fixed. The former feature was said to be in the game by Kaz a few months before release. The latter feature has been in every GT game up until GT5. So god damn dumb that it was taken out.
Forgot that one! While it would not be an easy fix, given the rigid seperation of A and B specs (which was a huge mistake, I think) having your B spec drivers able to race with you on endurance races would be nice.

So many simple changes that should have been there after the first test session.

Finally had the time to finish the Lamborghini challenges.

Another great track. If they are really working on spec II, they should include these generated tracks into the tracklist. The new tracks in the Ferrari F1 and Lambo challenges are simply amazing!

Mush said:
In my own twisted mind, it's starting to make sense why PD have this long period of "silence". Maybe they really are just hard at work on something for E3?

(BELIEVE)

Phil Harrison back as the head of the newly launched sidekick studio Polyphony Europe?

No way!

(A man can dream)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
brentech said:
Not only is it not the case, but voice chat is disabled in both leagues. Even for practices, lol.
Holy shit I probably have it confused, maybe with the NRL? Always thought that was the case.
Well, I'd love to hit practice then, that way I/we can test if my connection is up to the job.

Mush

Dash Kappei said:
Holy shit I probably have it confused, maybe with the NRL? Always thought that was the case.
Well, I'd love to hit practice then, that way I/we can test if my connection is up to the job.
Just keep an eye out for when there's practices. Someone will usually post in either thread if one is planned/happening.

Angst

Dash Kappei said:
Please do, remember to add the account GAFSuperGT to your fl as we do all practice sessions in that lounge.

amar212

seattle6418 said:
Phil Harrison back as the head of the newly launched sidekick studio Polyphony Europe?
(A man can dream)

What would Phil Harrison do for Gran Turismo? Not much IMO, to be honest. He's a brilliant mind (I had an honor to meet him and talk to him regarding business models for than upcoming PSP console back in 2005) and he's rarely good business organizer and genius analyst and planner.

But those qualities are not what Gran Turismo needs.

At this very point, all content, options and features we already have on GT5 disc are more than enough to produce the truly spectacular game. I would go that far to say that only 4 more tracks (and 5 more variations of tracks already available on the game) would suffice for the game of forever. What it takes is *someone* who can organize it in logical, comprehensive and meaningful way in order to produce coherent product.

For some time now I am organizing such database and sketching something I call "GT5 Ultimate", a scheme-design of game made out of available GT5 assets and created in oder to satisfy all types of GT players. I took backwards approach of all previous GT games, use the career designs, option designs, logic of creating a structure and implementation in GT5's system.

Also, I went to establish a coherent leveling/crediting system - also based on XP, Levels and Credits as in GT5, which I find great as foundation - but recalculated in both approach and execution in order to make it logical and remove grind. I did it only for private fun because I really think GT5 provides a terrific foundation for the almost perfect racing game.

What puzzles me the most is the reasons of GT5 being released structure-wise as it did. PD's history is a masterpiece-showcase of creating a deeply organized game-design structure with loads of content and logical paths of implementation in the genre. GT2 and GT4 are perfect examples of that, both being titles with vast number of assets and extremely well-designed structure of their usage. GT4: Prologue and GT5: Prologue also have some profound and unique details in approach to actual content-usage-design which I was very surprised when not transferred into GT5.

At this point all of us can really only speculate what they have in the pipeline, but I really put all my hopes into some kind of "Gran Turismo 5 Final Spec" title, made in order to resemble and implement all features, options and content-management that can be traced in execution all the way back to first Gran Turismo game.

I still can remember 2004 and first internal-talks of future specs of PS3 where it was disclosed that upcoming console will have an mandatory HDD. I was overwhelmed thinking about possible features that internal HDD can do for some Gran Turismo game - most to data management on car/track basis (best times of some car at some track, full database of all results, option to track history of usage for every car, etc..). Nothing like that found it's way to the game.

I really hope that next PD's project will present us a GT game that follows the great heritage of the series. Although I really find GT5 a perfect game from many points, I can recognize vast areas for improvement based only on assets it already have on disposal. And if I can see it - and I am not a game-designer or industry-professional - I can only presume that Kazunori and his team at PD are even more aware of it. So there lies my hoe that story of Gran Turismo 5 is still very far from being finished.

Dead Man

amar212 said:
What would Phil Harrison do for Gran Turismo? Not much IMO, to be honest. He's a brilliant mind (I had an honor to meet him and talk to him regarding business models for than upcoming PSP console back in 2005) and he's rarely good business organizer and genius analyst and planner.

At this very point, all content, options and features we already have on GT5 disc are more than enough to produce the truly spectacular game. I would go that far to say that only 4 more tracks (and 5 more variations of tracks already available on the game) would suffice for the game of forever. What it takes is *someone* who can organize it in logical, comprehensive and meaningful way in order to produce coherent product.

For some time now I am organizing such database and sketching something I call "GT5 Ultimate", a scheme-design of game made out of available GT5 assets and created in oder to satisfy all types of GT players. I took backwards approach of all previous GT games, use the career designs, option designs, logic of creating a structure and implementation in GT5's system.

Also, I went to establish a coherent leveling/crediting system - also based on XP, Levels and Credits as in GT5, which I find great as foundation - but recalculated in both approach and execution in order to make it logical and remove grind. I did it only for private fun because I really think GT5 provides a terrific foundation for the almost perfect racing game.

What puzzles me the most is the reasons of GT5 being released structure-wise as it did. PD's history is a masterpiece-showcase of creating a deeply organized game-design structure with loads of content and logical paths of implementation in the genre. GT2 and GT4 are perfect examples of that, both being titles with vast number of assets and extremely well-designed structure of their usage. GT4: Prologue and GT5: Prologue also have some profound and unique details in approach to actual content-usage-design which I was very surprised when not transferred into GT5.

At this point all of us can really only speculate what they have in the pipeline, but I really put all my hopes into some kind of "Gran Turismo 5 Final Spec" title, made in order to resemble and implement all features, options and content-management that can be traced in execution all the way back to first Gran Turismo game.

I still can remember 2004 and first internal-talks of future specs of PS3 where it was disclosed that upcoming console will have an mandatory HDD. I was overwhelmed thinking about possible features that internal HDD can do for some Gran Turismo game - most to data management on car/track basis (best times of some car at some track, full database of all results, option to track history of usage for every car, etc..). Nothing like that found it's way to the game.

I really hope that next PD's project will present us a GT game that follows the great heritage of the series. Although I really find GT5 a perfect game from many points, I can recognize vast areas for improvement based only on assets it already have on disposal. And if I can see it - and I am not a game-designer or industry-professional - I can only presume that Kazunori and his team at PD are even more aware of it. So there lies my hoe that story of Gran Turismo 5 is still very far from being finished.
Great post. I agree the foundation is there for an amazing driving game, but for reasons I don't understand, they made some choices and had some choices thrown at them that prevented it. That's fine, I could accept that, if only they would acknowledge that maybe there are some things that NEED to be fixed. Not just matters of preference, but ways in which the game design is bad.

offshore

amar212 said:
At this very point, all content, options and features we already have on GT5 disc are more than enough to produce the truly spectacular game.
That's certainly one of the more frustrating things. Night racing, weather, day/night cycle and especially Course Maker are all great feautures that are implemented so poorly that it's almost not worth having them in the game.

I'll disagree with you agree about Levels and XP. I can't imagine I'm alone in saying that that particular aspect should be removed from future titles, even if it has been completely refined. Base the progression on the actual skill of driving, not some XP numbers.

amar, copyright those ideas (?) and send them to PD, who knows what might happen!

Seriously though, I have high hopes of PD doing something good at E3. C'mon Kaz!

PS: I think the problems with the game design and structure come from remodelling, reorganizing, restructuring and refocusing of the game itself... Just think of the Stig being in the game, of when My Chemical Romance said they helped design an unlockable outfit for the game, of when we were told (or was that a rumour?) that we would be able to sync the track's real world weather in the game... all those lost little bits of game. There are a lot more but I don't remember them right now. That's why I hope PD can offer a truly complete package now that they finally got the game out and can focus better on what to do and what to add/fix.

Thrakier

So, I'd like to start a remote race via web browser, and it doesn't work. Console is in server standby mode. I get to the screen where I select my driver, but "start race" is always greyed out. Why??

amar212 said:

Phil might not know a lot about racing games, but Phil would certainly be a great choice for the outside view inside of the development of Gran Tursmo that is so badly needed.

You´re right, the foundation is great, but they need someone from the outside sometimes bitchslapping them on some stupid game design decisions. Someone who can put that great foundation into better use.

I don´t think an outside view would hurt GT. Of course Phil is in a whole different thing right now, but it was just an example.

If they hired you Amar, don´t you think you would come to them with hundreds of ideas to put improve the game?

I know you would.

Since they are a bit out of touch with the fan base, i think hiring someone to give them fresh new ideas would be a great start.

S. L.

so i unlocked the Vettel challenge and holy crap that is fast.
the first track is manageable, monza is the easiest of the three, but suzuka :O :O

:O :O :O :O

how the heck am i supposed to get gold there?

offshore

Here's a cool thing from Nissan/GTPlanet for those in the US
Nissan is hosting a special online contest with an awesome prize: a trip for two to the 2011 New York International Auto Show! To win, you’ll need to make a video of yourself describing your favorite, most innovative features of your Nissan vehicle, and upload it here to Nissan’s Facebook page. (Note that you’ll need to be at least 18 years of age and a U.S. resident to be eligible for the contest, per Nissan’s legal constraints. Read the official rules for more.)

Better yet, I’m excited to announce that Nissan is teaming up with GTPlanet to bring this competition to virtual Nissan owners in Gran Turismo 5! Even if you don’t have a GT-R or 370Z parked in your real-world driveway, load one up (or any other Nissan car) in GT5, make your video, and you could find yourself on a plane to New York in less than two weeks.

If you’re afraid your video couldn’t make the final cut, don’t worry – it’s still worth a shot. In addition to the grand prize, registered GTPlanet users who take part will be eligible to win one of three more prizes:

First Place: a special edition, Nissan-branded Flip HD camcorder.
Second Place: a Nissan jacket.
Third Place: a Nissan t-shirt

I’ll be personally selecting the winners of GTPlanet’s competition, all of whom will be announced shortly after the results from the main contest are decided by Nissan. To summarize, here’s all you need to do before 9:00 AM on April 12 to take part:

Make a video between 30 seconds and 2 minutes in length about the “best innovations” found in your own Nissan car or your favorite Nissan found in Gran Turismo 5 and upload the video here. This will put you in the running for the New York Auto Show trip prize.
Once your video has been uploaded to the Nissan’s contest web page, post a link in our forums or the comment selection below to enter GTPlanet’s own mini-contest. You’ll be contacted by email if you’re chosen as a winner.

I’d love to see a GTPlanet user take this one all the way to New York, so grab those cameras now and get to work. Good luck, guys!
http://www.gtplanet.net/win-a-trip-to-the-new-york-auto-show-2011-with-nissan/

-viper-

Banned
It's surprising how close the BMW M3 handles in the game as real life. It sounds somewhat similar too, but the game lacks the GROWL of the actual car.

Effectively bumping this ...

I want to make a prediction: this game will be looked back upon as the best racing sim of this gen.

We all have our gripes, but my god this game is so much better than the "7.8" consensus people seem to have it at.

I'll again stress how good the graphics are compared to other racers, for instance, and graphics + state-of-the-art sim performance = nerd gaming bliss, no?

.... wtf lol

Cheers.

Shaneus

NEOPARADIGM said:

I want to make a prediction: this game will be looked back upon as the best racing sim of this gen.

We all have our gripes, but my god this game is so much better than the "7.8" consensus people seem to have it at.

I'll again stress how good the graphics are compared to other racers, for instance, and graphics + state-of-the-art sim performance = nerd gaming bliss, no?

.... wtf lol

Cheers.
It may be the best so far, but it's far from the game it should've been. That, and if it was clearly the best then we'd have near-unanimous agreement that it is AND I'd still be playing it. As it stands I have no inclination to fire it up in the near future unless something's drastically done about the structure.

NEOPARADIGM said:

.... wtf lol

Cheers.
GT5 has way too many flaws to be considered as "the best racing game of this generation". That said, nobody has delivered the best racing game this gen so far. Maybe PD will succeed with GT6, but otherwise, no. I mean, how can this be "the best racing game of this gen", if I still can't assign any buttons on my G27, ffs. Instead they added support for a new super official premium $500 wheel. fml.

Dead Man

NEOPARADIGM said:

.... wtf lol

Cheers.
If it is, I'll be very disappointed by this generation.

Truespeed

amar212 said:

Great points and I totally agree with you with the only exception being the performance of the game. The amount of screen tearing is beyond acceptable. Nevertheless, PD, if you're reading this, hire this person as an associate producer to work on GT5 Redux.

ashk

Toxa said:
I can't give my BMW M3 GTR 01 ... the car costs less than a million wtf ... ?

It costs less because it's a used car, its full price is probably 1 mil. which is reduced in the used car dealership depending on the mileage. It's a stupid system, I know.

Toxa

ashk said:
It costs less because it's a used car, its full price is probably 1 mil. which is reduced in the used car dealership depending on the mileage. It's a stupid system, I know.

frack :( thanks you ;)

Mush

Hey boys and girls.

As you know by now, there is a Season 2 of the Super GT League, which gets under way this weekend.

Now, I think by now we've gotten the message across over the last few pages that we are looking for drivers to compete. ;)

However, what we're mostly looking for atm is reserve drivers to cover any vacancy's if both drivers in a team are unable to compete for that particular round. You can call yourself a wildcard, if you want. You get to drive that teams car for that weekend and help out by earning points towards their standing, so they don't miss out on any potential points for that round.

The great thing about this is, you're not on full time. You're only racing when you're asked to. If you can't fill in for that weekend, we can get someone else to take your place, and the next time that a reserve is required, you'll get 1st dibs on driving for that round (if you're available).

If this sounds like something for you, head over to the thread and have a look.

Thanks in advance,

Mush, head of the Super GT Committee.

AndyD

aka andydumi
offshore said:
It is the best driving sim of this generation so far.

It is the game design that is truly awful.

This is my feeling as well. The good thing is that game design flaws can be somewhat corrected easier than engine/driving model issues.

So if they have Spec 2 this summer and maybe Spec 3 in the fall/winter with significant improvements to the structure, it could end up as the best driving game of the generation.

BeeDog

amar212

BeeDog said:
To break up all the serious (and draining) discussions, has anyone posted this yet? Let the speculations begin!

http://www.gtplanet.net/24-new-track-logos-discovered-on-gran-turismo-5-website/

Much more at the link.

Not much happiness there.

Those logos are leftovers from GT PSP section of the official GT webs from the times when GT PSP Courses section was presented differently.

Hong Kong still have the "old" layout for GT PSP>Courses section, where you can find all those logos with appropriate usage. That design was replaced on majority of other official webs (US, UK, JP..) when GT5 arrived.

See for yourself: http://www.gran-turismo.com/hk/products/gtpsp/course/

Would be nice if true, but probably is nothing.

Mush

amar212 said:

Those logos are leftovers from GT PSP section of the official GT webs from the times when GT PSP Courses section was presented differently.

Hong Kong still have the "old" layout for GT PSP>Courses section, where you can find all those logos with appropriate usage. That design was replaced on majority of other official webs (US, UK, JP..) when GT5 arrived.

amar212
Crusher of Dreams
(Today, 07:52 PM)
Reply | Quote

BeeDog

amar212 said:

You're probably right, but Jordan says this in the comments section:

Hong Kong, Las Vegas, and George V Paris were not in GT PSP.

One can hope, right? RIGHT!?

amar212

BeeDog said:
You're probably right, but Jordan says this in the comments section:

One can hope, right? RIGHT!?

I would pay 60$ to have all those courses in GT5, even if just being "HD remasters" as TM or DF, no kidding here.

So, I stand hopeful as all of you and raising my hope for the Queen of Queens:

19.jpg

amar212

Mush said:
Where's that pic linking SSR5 and 11 together?

Here:

ssr16std.png

Shirakawa Akira of GTPlanet created it with SSR11 '90s layout.

Back on main subject, I have just discussed this "Course Logos" issue with Jordan. He highlighted that logos were found and appropriately resized under actual GT5 Home section for Remote Races like they are ready to be used anytime.

So back to speculation time I presume :)

Mush said:
amar212
Dream Redeemer
(Today, 07:52 PM)
Reply | Quote

:)

Dead Man

amar212 said:
Here:

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/7571/ssr16std.png[IMG]

[B]Shirakawa Akira of GTPlanet[/B] created it with SSR11 '90s layout.

Back on main subject, I have just discussed this "Course Logos" issue with Jordan. He highlighted that logos were found and appropriately resized under actual GT5 Home section for Remote Races like they are ready to be used anytime.

So back to speculation time I presume :)[/QUOTE]
amar212
[B]Bringer of hope[/B]
(Today, 06:10 PM)
Reply | Quote

Well, it's still lacking frigging SSR11 so I can GUARANTEE that tracklist will be available in the game sooner or later. ¬¬

.... SEATTLE APRICOT MIDFIELD SWISS ALPS INFINEON CITTA DI ARIA GIVE IT TO MEEEE!!!

cough cough

Top Bottom