• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

pix

Elios83 said:
So the mechanical damage is just for online and there is no sensitivity setting for cosmetical damage in offline mode? :/

Im assuming it is because online mode doesnt need to use the AI engine, which allows for more room on the CPU.

dwebo

Scratch my comment a few hours ago in the other OT about dynamic weather not changing during a race. Turned on the TV to check on the b-spec endurance race and it was raining, when it had started out just cloudy. The AI is still happily racing on softs, though. Idiots.

glaurung

I think the B-spec driver guidance system should have a proper tutorial or something.

Since I don't want to believe that my first created driver is a complete moron, I would just like to stuff him inside a good car and have him dust the competition.

But, even with a properly upgraded car this guy cannot win the race. He either makes too many mistakes, spins out at least once, then sits there (probably crying) and waits while most other drivers overtake him.

So my question is: is there a pattern I should be following when giving him orders or is it all just random luck?

Whenever the race starts, the mental anguish meter goes to one hundred and then does not really come down any more.

Xater

ElyrionX said:
Can we be specific? Is it the ZR1 or the Z06 that i shoud use for racing mod?

I race modded the ZR1 und tuned the shit out of it. It is still under 800 bhp which is way too low for the later events.

Urgh, starting to hate DS3 controls as car power increases. I mapped brakes to L2 like any sane person, and the calibration is so fucked up I have to keep ABS on or brakes lock at the slightest touch. Why make a sim without sensitivity settings? Why?

The ZR-1 RM is nice, may go for it, but with some effort I've been killing LM cars in my Furai Concept, which costs me a little time (get my B-Spec driver to Level 5, race NA championship), and a little money (buy the few upgrades available, tires). But set its top speed to 360 (or a little higher for the Oval stuff) and man, what a lovely car. :) Can't always fully keep up, but good enough, sticks to the road, steers light and easy, and brakes like few others. And you can use it in a LOT of events, too (including JGTC)

Vik_Vaughn said:
Had a dead PS3, so I bought a new slim and GT5 last night. Finally seeing what all the 'UI is garbage, driving is glorious' talk was all about. I don't necessarily hate the UI, but man they made some funky decisions here. Just simple things like, 'Hey, you want to race this event, but you aren't in an appropriate car." At that point just dump me into my garage, ffs. Or maybe just if I jam circle enough, just back out of the menu I'm in instead of moving my cursor to the 'back out' button. Anyways, I'm sure this has been done already, so I won't dwell.

Icon to the right with the car, shows you your garage directly and filters out eligible cars automatically.

One thing I have to say is, holy shit at the kart racing. I really enjoy what I've tried so far. Kind of seems like there isn't much to it, (no different karts; is there even a kart mode outside of special events?) but I like what they've thrown at me thus far.

I think you can drive karts everywhere (say, Monaco) and including online, but I don't think there are currently any other type of kart events.

EDIT: when I play DS3, I stick to the default settings, but if you're using the triggers I'd probably get those clip-ons.

LCfiner

SmokyDave said:
No, no, no.

Not a racing game, the racing game.

You won't be seeing an 'OT2' for Test Drive Unlimited 2.

Someone's gonna end up taking that as a personal challenge :)

----------

Man, OT2 is up and I still haven't gotten past level 20.

I gotta put aside from time and concentrate on some of the longer pro league championships. but i always get cold feet at the thought of an hour or an hour and a half straight of racing with these high powered cars. it gets relatively physically intensive when using a wheel and pedals. (I'm not puking in my helmet or anything, but it is more demanding than just using a DS3)

Got a Ferrari 512 for my birthday today. Since I already I had one I tried to gift it to my brother but lost the car due that stupid error.

I think I may be justified in using the birthday exploit. I may just have to mis-enter my birth year as 67 instead of 76!

Withnail

pix said:
Im assuming it is because online mode doesnt need to use the AI engine, which allows for more room on the CPU.

Yeah but the overhead of online play, netcode etc, would make up for that. It's more likely that these "patches" are really just full replacements of the online mode, and PD's support plans only allow for that at this time.

Damaged

Psychotext said:
Why the hell can't I use my XJ13 in the historic racing cup? It was built in 1966 ffs.

Is it the chromeline one from the facebook game? got the same problem if so.

Psychotext said:
Why the hell can't I use my XJ13 in the historic racing cup? It was built in 1966 ffs.

Yeah, for some reason the Chromeline version doesn't contain that meta-data. It can, however, be used in the British Lightweight cup on professional.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
offshore said:
I'm raging over the fact the refurb PS3 Sony sent me keeps fucking freezing, so I can't play GT5 :|
I'm raging over the fact my PS3 is still a few thousand kilometers away from me (though it's slowly closing in).

Angst

I'm having some trouble with the Historic Cup on Expert. I've tried using the Ferrari 330P4, but either the other cars bump me off the road or the Ferrari spins out leaving me in the grass...

I though about using the Minolta Race Car, but alas, it's too new. :-/ Maybe I just need a better setup for the Ferrari?

LCfiner said:
I gotta put aside from time and concentrate on some of the longer pro league championships. but i always get cold feet at the thought of an hour or an hour and a half straight of racing with these high powered cars. it gets relatively physically intensive when using a wheel and pedals. (I'm not puking in my helmet or anything, but it is more demanding than just using a DS3)

I know what you mean. I had to get myself hyped up yesterday to just race the main world championship in the professional series, and that only took just under an hour to fully complete. :lol I use a wheel with a wheel stand while sitting on my couch, which isn't the most comfortable for my legs given that I'm pretty tall. If I had a full cockpit with racing chair, I'd be good to go, but my house is on the smaller side and I'm married, so I have two pretty big things going against building a cockpit. :p

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Yeah, for some reason the Chromeline version doesn't contain that meta-data. It can, however, be used in the British Lightweight cup on professional.
Shit. I'm really struggling to get a car for that one. Got no money. :(

Mechanical Damage has some nasty bugs :lol

I was in an online race, first going to the first corner, ofc I got bombarded by everyone else and my car was completely broken, couldn't even turn. But then the car repaired it self and it wouldn't get damaged again :lol

Metalmurphy said:

I was in an online race, first going to the first corner, ofc I got bombarded by everyone else and my car was completely broken, couldn't even turn. But then the car repaired it self and it wouldn't get damaged again :lol

I'm not sure about the not getting damaged again part, but someone on GTplanet mentioned that light damage means that your car can be damaged mechanically but it'll automatically repair itself over time. Heavy damage means that you need to pit to repair them.

Ainigma

Neo Member
Metalmurphy said:

Apparently when online, there are 3 settings for Damage, the 2nd one has automatic repair, the 3rd setting is when you will have to go into the pits to repair any damage.

TTG

Angst said:
I'm having some trouble with the Historic Cup on Expert. I've tried using the Ferrari 330P4, but either the other cars bump me off the road or the Ferrari spins out leaving me in the grass...

I though about using the Minolta Race Car, but alas, it's too new. :-/ Maybe I just need a better setup for the Ferrari?

5228918488_397b8592c4_b.jpg

427 Shelby from a B-spec event fairly early on. It's still a Very tough race in Deep Forest, Monaco only takes a couple of tries. Oh, and it's one of the hardest cars to handle, just laughs at the racing softs as it lights them up in third at about 120mph.

SolidSnakex said:
I'm not sure about the not getting damaged again part, but someone on GTplanet mentioned that light damage means that your car can be damaged mechanically but it'll automatically repair itself over time. Heavy damage means that you need to pit to repair them.

Hum, maybe the car was in the "repairing" phase, cause I basically parked outside the track seeing as the car was undrivable, then I noticed the damage indicators were gone, tried smashing at 200KM/h into a wall to see if it happened the again and the car didn't get damaged at all.

Damaged

Psychotext said:
Shit. I'm really struggling to get a car for that one. Got no money. :(

I used an alfa i won on the amateur festival Italia race, did the job after a bit of tuning

Edit: NVM was thinking of a different race lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
SolidSnakex said:
Yeah, there's definitely a big gap in price there. What's the end HP like for the Z06? The ZR1 that I have is nearing 900HP with all of its upgrades.

I'm 870hp I think. everything and pre-drive oil change and engine rebuild just in case.

glaurung

SolidSnakex said:
Regenerating cars? Can I buy the 1958 Plymouth Fury and reenact Stephen King's Christine then?

Physalis

Neo Member
offshore said:
I'm raging over the fact the refurb PS3 Sony sent me keeps fucking freezing, so I can't play GT5 :|

Had this happen to my fat 60gb recently, so what I did was backup the HDD, and do a 'Quick Format' under 'System Settings'.

So far, not a single freeze since the format.

PetriP-TNT said:
I thought that the '66 Cobra from B-spec could do well in Historic Car Cup but first try was pretty disasterous :|
That's what I tried at first. Cars passed it like it was going backwards.

I'm sure I could win with it... but the bspec drivers just can't seem to handle it.

ElyrionX said:
So there's no consensus on the ZR1 or Z06 question?

After seeing mrklaw and TTG's posts, it seems like the Z06 is the way to go. It's significantly cheaper, both in cost of the car and the race mods, yet has similar performance to the ZR1. The ZR1 cost me around 600k to buy and modify while it seems like you can get a Z06 for under 300k.

Firewire

Banned
glaurung said:
I think the B-spec driver guidance system should have a proper tutorial or something.

Since I don't want to believe that my first created driver is a complete moron, I would just like to stuff him inside a good car and have him dust the competition.

But, even with a properly upgraded car this guy cannot win the race. He either makes too many mistakes, spins out at least once, then sits there (probably crying) and waits while most other drivers overtake him.

So my question is: is there a pattern I should be following when giving him orders or is it all just random luck?

Whenever the race starts, the mental anguish meter goes to one hundred and then does not really come down any more.

My b-spec driver Mr. Torres wins everything by himself. I give him commands and he flips me the bird. I think I got lucky with a skilled and aggressive driver.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Maastricht said:
The ZR-1 RM is nice, may go for it, but with some effort I've been killing LM cars in my Furai Concept, which costs me a little time (get my B-Spec driver to Level 5, race NA championship), and a little money (buy the few upgrades available, tires). But set its top speed to 360 (or a little higher for the Oval stuff) and man, what a lovely car. :) Can't always fully keep up, but good enough, sticks to the road, steers light and easy, and brakes like few others. And you can use it in a LOT of events, too (including JGTC)

even in the like the wind championship? didn't get anywhere with my level 20 driver. I'm sure I did everything possible with it. ZR1 isn't doing it either. (superspeedway).

Going to ignore those two events and the historic, progress to level 23/24 and get the formula and come back and dominate.

glaurung said:

You can push them full red for a while, but if you keep it there or keep pushing they'll make mistakes. If he is in a pack of cars he'll naturally 'heat up'. You can try calming him down, but I usually try and get him past other cars into clear air where he can calm down on his own.

Pay attention to the course too. My driver will sometimes lose the back end a bit on particular corners, so I'll try and slow him down for those.

Az

This game has been out for not even a month now and PD keeps delivering with the updates. I am impressed hopefully this will keep going. It has finally passed GOWIII and Alan Wake as my GOTY.

Anyone want to gift me a car? I am sick at home with a nasty cold I need cheering up. :lol

/begging

Top Bottom