• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

amar212

Metalmurphy said:
We already have the Triangle menu amar. On every car you select you can press triangle, and it'll give you tons of options, Settings, Change Car, Gift, Sell. .

Yes, I know that damnit :)

amar212 said:
Yes, I know that damnit :)

I know you know, just saying, if we already have all that, including Settings even though it's accessible on the actual car menu as well, why not a couple of more options/shortcuts?

phosphor112 said:
...lol, the concept of being bigoted toward a race and not a belief makes me lol.

For the record, bigotry includes race "— n
a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race"

Amar -
Going to a menu isn't immersion, taking you to a locale disguised as a menu would be. Imagine if "testing" your car actually felt like a test session. Easily accessible menus with better flow are a must, how the content of the menu selection is handled is what will add the immersion. A bright orange background with Scott Joplin playing isn't immersion. I get what you mean by having a separate menu section makes it feel more eventful, that it wasn't just a .10 second menu click and boom, full upgrades. I get how the longer process makes it feel like a more meaningful event. But purchasing a new car, how about getting to pick all of your cars details right then and there (like in real life)? New suspension package? No problem sir, we will have that installed for you and included in the bill. One click, one purchase, brand new car with the desired upgrades included. That makes it feel like a car sale. Thirteen clicks on my controller to buy a car, select it, buy tires and then get to the track select menu isn't immersive, it is tedious and takes me out of the car world.

There are so many better ways to handle the menus and event flow in GT5 that would maintain what you enjoy without causing brain hemorrhaging for the vast majority of people who want to enjoy the game, not "GT" loading screens every half second. What talented developers do is maintain the essence of a game franchise while being able to modernize, reinvent and evolve key aspects where needed. The menu horse is dead, and Kaz and company have been kicking it since GT3.

Stoffinator

amar212 said:
I dislike. It does not fit into "GT" philosophy. I agree that loading times COULD be shorter, but really, they're not that long.

Load times are still way to long. This is a game where you spend at least half of your time in menus, and loading each one takes a good amount. Other games have progressed in this area. GT hasn't so much. It has become stale.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Stoffinator said:
Load times are still way to long. This is a game where you spend at least half of your time in menus, and loading each one takes a good amount. Other games have progressed in this area. GT hasn't so much. It has become stale.

This.

There is no reason the main screen needs to take 10 seconds to load. Its just a bunch of large icons in the end. There is no reason the game needs to load different LOD models for the same car we are in as we move from garage to main screen to gt auto back to menu, back to garage. The whole process takes a minute probably when it should take 10 seconds.

Adding more to the triangle menu (skip past main screen as we navigate), and also adding parts purchases pre car purchase, as well as parts purchases at a track menu would go a long way to help. So would options to que races or start the next logical race without exiting (championships do this, why can't series that are not a championship?).

offshore

Seeing as we're moaning about menus, I'd really wish PD would sort this shit out:

You're in Car X.

From the Practice menu, you go to Toscana, where a nice little message informs me that,

"You do not have dirt tyres equipped, therefore you cannot race here"

So, we have to....

Press circle to go back to GT menu

*waits for GT menu to load*

Navigates to Tuning Shop

*waits for Tuning Shop to load*

Navigates to Dirt Tyres.

"Do you want to buy tyres?"

"Yes"

"Confirmed"

“OK”

“Confirmation of confirmation”

“OK”

"Do you want to install them now"

"Yes"

"Confirmed"

“OK”

“Confirmation of confirmation”

“OK”

Navigate back to GT life

*Waits for GT life menu to load*

Navigate back to practice

*waits for practice menu to load*

Can finally go racing on Toscana.

…..

Why can't the game at the Toscana screen just say,

"You have temporarily equipped Dirt Tyres"

Or, if I'm racing for cash, the game could say,

"Would you like to buy and install Dirt Tyres now?"

It infuritates the hell out of me....along with the other classic, "this part must be installed in a specific order".

Who cares. Just let me install stage 3 without having to go through installing parts 1 & 2.

There are too many of these annoying little messages. They really need to be eradicated. They've been part of GT for too long.

G Rom

But this is all part of GT's philosophy ! :-D

Just kidding amar but this is a perfect example of the obsolete GT way of thinking that you've described offshore.

G Rom said:
But this is all part of GT's philosophy ! :-D

Just kidding amar but this is a perfect example of the obsolete GT way of thinking that you've described offshore.

It is like when you are told to revise your rough copy of a final paper and all you end up doing is hitting spell check. Sure it made an improvement but it fixed none of the core content.

I should probably start learning Japanese now. I am going to harass Kaz till GT6 ships.

spats

Old interview that popped up on GTP.

http://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-wanted-another-2-years-for-gt5-development/

A few nuggets:

- The FIA GT and DTM racing series were both planned for GT5, but eventually had to be taken out.

- When asked if GT5 is so big that it will be released in “stages”, Kazunori responded “The effect of complexity and size to the development time is very big. Practically speaking I would have wanted another two years of development time.”

- One frequent criticism of many GT games – including GT5 – is the large number of Japanese cars with slight variations in trim (the various GT-Rs, Mitsubishi Evos, Miatas, etc. all come to mind). This is one of the first interviews which Kazunori has acknowledged the criticism, saying “…it’s true that there is a lot of variations depending on the model, and that’s probably because we’ve been affected strongly by the automotive culture in Japan from the 1990’s. [...] Back then there was meaning to each of the fine differences, and the selection of which model variation to drive was important to a user. Looking at it now I also think that there’s too many.”

- Kazunori also confirmed the PlayStation 3’s lack of memory was “a serious concern” during the development of GT5, saying that “we just have to do our best” to get what performance they can out of the hardware.

- He also re-confirmed that “We [Polyphony Digital] are still continuing to work on creating premium models and new tracks, but whether it will be DLC or will become something like GT6, hasn’t been decided yet.” (Keep in mind this interview was conducted last year.)

brentech

Finally golded that Indy section of sarthe license test. Haven't tried the cone slalom in a few days though.

Been having my original bspec driver grind the dream championship. Raked in some money and am up to 800 cars.
Have about 65 favorited, decked out with racing soft tires and all the tuning parts to my liking.

For actual race cars, I don't modify anything that can't be removed other than the chassis reenforcement. The rest of the cars I tune pretty much everything except weight. Some I might do level 1 weight reduction, but I don't like to go more than 200 off the base, and I really only do that to the heavyweights.

Now I just need time to drive them!

brentech

Yeah, the only license test I haven't golded. I have silver, but still .321 off of gold. Stopped trying a bit ago. Maybe another day.

brentech

I understand the idea behind it, but I usually get too loose and lose my contr of the weight of the car. I've had runs that I thought for sure I'd break the time, but just barely end up clipping the last inside cone.

Really just an issue of getting it all right in one attempt. =\

brentech

Yeah. I suppose now I'll actually have to do the Vettel challenges for gold. I got the bronze prior to the required times being changed, but I'd still have to drop a good 4 sec or something to that effect.

I just hate driving that car because it requires some getting used to. And then when you switch back to a normal vehicle, you have to get used to that again too.

Also need that damn patch for mid-race saves....just have the 3 long a-spec enduro's to gold.

Ag1c2.jpg

zte5f.jpg

That is bloody gorgeous. The ft86 concept keeps looking nicer and nicer. Too bad it's going to be under the Scion name. I'd feel better buying it if it had a Toyota logo on it.

Mush

Can you imagine getting the newer version of Toyota's concept, the Subaru one, plus this one, all as DLC? That would be just too much.

G Rom

Same here, I can't sign in... :-/

After the LFA, I bought the M3 as it was one of the best looking car in Prologue. Looks like it still look great in GT5 ! :)

Still no Photoshop. I posted those photos in the photo sharing thread but I thought I'd share them here as well.

Dibbz

Nice pics. Wish there were european cars from the 90's that were premiums. I'm sick of only being able to drive the latest and greatest Mercs, Audi's and BMW's. I'm seriously craving for more cars and tracks right now :|

I've been looking at Shift 2 videos on Youtube today. Looks like it still plays like shit but my god at the cars and tracks :O

-viper-

Banned
Dibbz said:
Nice pics. Wish there were european cars from the 90's that were premiums. I'm sick of only being able to drive the latest and greatest Mercs, Audi's and BMW's. I'm seriously craving for more cars and tracks right now :|

I've been looking at Shift 2 videos on Youtube today. Looks like it still plays like shit but my god at the cars and tracks :O
My brother picked up Shift 2 and I was played it earlier. It handles like shit. Cars slide around the track just like the first game.

Visuals look absolutely amazing though. Sound effects are fantastic too.

But I think it's a 30FPS game so no wonder it looks so good.

Dead Man

-viper- said:
My brother picked up Shift 2 and I was played it earlier. It handles like shit. Cars slide around the track just like the first game.

Visuals look absolutely amazing though. Sound effects are fantastic too.

But I think it's a 30FPS game so no wonder it looks so good.
I'd take 30fps and no tearing over 40-60 fps with massive amounts of tearing. :/

Dead Man

Metalmurphy said:
Just sayin... game is 60fps 95% of the time I play. So yeah, I'd rather have that.
Fair enough. I find tearing to be horribly distracting, and causes headaches for me sometimes. No other graphical artefact effects me this way. The fact it occurs so much means it is not running at 60fps very often, or the screen would not tear (I think that's right, my knowledge of the technical issues is... low).

Dead Man said:
Fair enough. I find tearing to be horribly distracting, and causes headaches for me sometimes. No other graphical artefact effects me this way. The fact it occurs so much means it is not running at 60fps very often, or the screen would not tear (I think that's right, my knowledge of the technical issues is... low).

It's not necessarily that, I've had tearing on the PC at framerates well above 60. It happens when the framerate isn't in synch with the refresh rate. In GT5 case it's more likely then not that it is lower framerates causing it.

They never bothered me much but I do notice them occasionally, mostly in the city tracks.

Dead Man

Metalmurphy said:
It's not necessarily that, I've had tearing on the PC at framerates well above 60. It happens when the framerate isn't in synch with the refresh rate. In GT5 case it's more likely then not that it is lower framerates causing it.

They never bothered me much but I do notice them occasionally, mostly in the city tracks.
Well, yeah, I know high framerates can do it too, but unless it is exactly 60fs (or 30) there will be tearing. So I guess I would prefer tearing free 30fps of 45-60 with almost constant tearing. I am aware this puts me in a minority, but I wish there was at least a vsync option for people who wanted to make the change. If SR2 can have the option, I think every game should on consoles.

Schmitty

The tearing can really take away from the experience. I love enjoying the marvelous cockpit view and then the tearing ruins it.

amar212

Dead Man said:
I'd take 30fps and no tearing over 40-60 fps with massive amounts of tearing. :/

I'd never take 30fps, period. Heck, GT Hi-Fi mode in first Gran Turismo had 50fps.

However, I'm really sorry they pushed the graphics to horizontal 1080p. 720p would suffice and I can't even imagine about how many "issues" would be solved without 1080p.

Dead Man

amar212 said:
I'd never take 30fps, period. Heck, GT Hi-Fi mode in first Gran Turismo had 50fps.

However, I'm really sorry they pushed the graphics to horizontal 1080p. 720p would suffice and I can't even imagine about how many "issues" would be solved without 1080p.
I would take 720/30fps over tearing, that's how much it bothers me. I cn cope with low frame rates(I don't like them, but I'll take the tradeoff) and low res, especially since my tv is only 720p anyway. I sort of wish more people were bothered by it just so devs would pay more attention to it. Or just that it didn't mess with my eyes so much.

G Rom

Metalmurphy said:
Just sayin... game is <60fps 95% of the time I play. So yeah, I'd rather have that.

Fixed.

Seriously, how can you still say that when it has even been proven that it's not the case ?
The game clearly isn't 60 fps 95% of the time I play, whatever the view I use.
Just try the GT5 version of La Sarthe in Time Attack. When you're in the main straight, even without rain and with only the player's car, the framerate dips way below 60 fps.
Don't even get me started on the cockpit view which is unusable 80% of the time because of the framerate/tearing...

The framerate situation is unacceptable for a car sim, especially coming from a developer who's repeatedly said that 60 fps was the most important thing in a sim !
If a Spec II ever comes out, I hope that framerate issues are at the top of PD's list. I would even trade shorter loading times for a locked 60 fps !

The Digital Foundry's analysis shows that 1080p actually has a better framerate than 720p most of the time, amar. I was in the camp of the ones wanting the 1080p to be dropped too but now, I would miss the image quality that 1080p brings. Going back to jaggies-fest (sub)720p games is a pain after playing some GT5... :-/

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
amar212 said:

Well, somebody had tv sets to sell.

amar212

G Rom said:
The Digital Foundry's analysis shows that 1080p actually has a better framerate than 720p most of the time, amar. I was in the camp of the ones wanting the 1080p to be dropped too but now, I would miss the image quality that 1080p brings. Going back to jaggies-fest (sub)720p games is a pain after playing some GT5... :-/

Yes, I know that, because GT5 runs "natively" in 1080p. Also, difference in actual visual perception of GT5 on 720p set and 1080p set is staggering. Game impresses on 1080p dramatically more, I have a 720p 50" Pioneer and game looks gorgeous (I use it on Pro setting, no digital post-processing, 600Hz, etc).

But when I saw it on 1080p LED LCD I was wiped. Another game really.

However, IF they made the game natively in 720p, I guess so much more graphic and effects could be pushed because of the RAM-usage. It is hard to be smart with those things of course - and we know that PD would never go below most advanced technology-output they can harness on some platform - but sometimes I wish they went 720p route and used all additional resources in all imaginable areas.

However, I still consider GT5 to be a tech-marvel and I hope some Spec II (or whatever) will bring a true justice.

G Rom said:
Fixed.

Seriously, how can you still say that when it has even been proven that it's not the case ?
The game clearly isn't 60 fps 95% of the time I play, whatever the view I use.
Just try the GT5 version of La Sarthe in Time Attack. When you're in the main straight, even without rain and with only the player's car, the framerate dips way below 60 fps.
Don't even get me started on the cockpit view which is unusable 80% of the time because of the framerate/tearing...

The framerate situation is unacceptable for a car sim, especially coming from a developer who's repeatedly said that 60 fps was the most important thing in a sim !
If a Spec II ever comes out, I hope that framerate issues are at the top of PD's list. I would even trade shorter loading times for a locked 60 fps !

I said when I play. Not when Eurogamer did it's tests. I play most of the time online on non city tracks, and the game is 60 fps 95% of the time. It's also rare to have more then 3 cars in view except for the start, which is where those 5% come from.

Also, don't forget those Eurogamer tests where done pre-patch. They did improve performance, even if very little.

Not to mention that... they have a history of being quite selective with their analysis...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGXONhFOrkg

G Rom said:
Why am I seeing the opposite in said analysis videos?

offshore

G Rom said:
This is quite true ^_^

With the tearing, they really need to try and reduce the tearing when the windscreen wipers are on. There is just so much of it and it looks absolutely horrific.

I just hope they stick to the same engine for GT PS4 instead of making a new one again/or upgrading it alot, and end up with new performance problems. This engine running perfectly with 24 car grid is all I want. It would be perfect.

Top Bottom