• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

0gH06.png

MM, How did you buy all those cars while having that amount of distance travelled?!

What am I doing wrong?

RoaringHawk said:
0gH06.png

MM, How did you buy all those cars while having that amount of distance travelled?!

What am I doing wrong?

90% of the cars are dirty cheap. I just do a couple of like the winds and buy everything I don't own from the used dealership.

Mobius 1

I golded the test you're have trouble with, but I'm still far from having all 60 in the bag. Working on I-B now... or is it I-A?

Been using the controller though since I lost the ability to set up the wheel for the time being. :(

The newest Seasonal Event, Light Weight K Cup - Eifel (Kart) 104a / 3 Laps is pretty decent for cash. Just over three minutes of driving for $100K

Mobius 1

Going back to the rumored GT5 SpecII discussion. I think one needs to be really realistic on what's feasible to do on a console game that's already released in order to gauge what Polyphony may do... or not do.

Remember that these are just my uneducated guesses based on pure speculation so don't come out swinging at me.

Right from the start we can throw out any expectation of graphical improvement. The shadows and low-resolution alpha channel for smoke/dust, those things are not going to be resolved because they're definitely a memory limitation. The PS3 only has 480 MB or RAM available for games, and I'm sure PD is already doing some creative things to get the game to run this well with those numbers. I'd love to see it resolved, but don't expect to.

Premium cars... I don't think they will be converting existing Standard cars to premium and just swapping them out. New Premium cars may be added - probably via paid DLC - and any work being done by PD to increase the number of high polygon cars will be reflected on GT6. I think it makes a lot more sense, business wise, to push those to the next game.

Damage, same as above. Any major improvements will be held back for GT6.

New courses... I think we will get a nice selection of older courses, ported from the PS2 like Trial Mountain and Deep Forest. Before you say "but those look awful!"- no they don't. They are just as atmospheric as the newly built ones. They're certainly less detailed, but they're not ugly. Just watch some of the replays on Autumn Ring, it's awesome. I will be specially pleased is Cita di Aria makes a return. :)

It's more important to consider the surface detail rather than visual fidelity on the courses. I don't care if the trees are 2D, I care if a rough-looking crest and turn are actually bumpy or just feel like driving over glass.

Time and Weather changes might make an appearance on more tracks and be improved. I remember when Kaz was explaining that the weather would be truly random and couldn't be predicted... hoping to see more of that.

Event creator and improvements to Course Creator... hope those things materialize. The point to point course creator was commented by Kaz as "we're looking into it" and we've seen it in earlier builds, so it may be just a matter of time. I think an event creator would be trivial to implement for online racing now that custom courses are available online. We could set up some very nice rallies... imagine the possibilities.

Leaderboards for every track and car, GT5P style. Not sure if PD will do it. It would have to be a simplified model that would track only sets of data - for example, it would track times set with stock cars only. Modded cars would all be thrown in together. Modded cars would be thrown in together like it happens on Forza.

----

Now things I wish it could happen - more of the human element we saw in earlier builds and trailers. I loved a video of the SLS running on Tokyo from some event where it showed a player doing a time trial. The car launched from the pits, and the crew was there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQybVxSglkk

Just that added element of reality to it that adds so much.

I'd like to see the race official on kart races that you can see on the opening video too, signaling the start of the race. So cool.

I also liked the garage view from each track that we had on Prologue. Before the time trial/free run you'd get this view of the car in the garage/staging area and it was fucking glorious.

By now I'm just wishing too much.

JUST BRING BACK GRINDELWALD.

Imo opinion they should just remove car selfshadowing completely when in 3rd person or replays, but leave it during cockpit. In the cockpit seeing shadows passing by really fast really immerses you, and you don't notice the blocky shadows at all, during replay since the camera is always following the car you notice the blocky self shadows alot. Removing them would look better and it would probably improve performance as well.

They should keep the tree/scenery shadows casting on the cars during 3rd person/replay though.

I'm really curious as to what happened to that Kart track in Plaza del Campo oO, I know they had problems with the flags, but they kept the Photo Travel location.

Mush

Metalmurphy said:
I'm really curious as to what happened to that Kart track in Plaza del Campo oO, I know they had problems with the flags, but they kept the Photo Travel location.
What happened to the Youtube uploads?

What happened to the 32 player private lobbies?

What happened to the HSV-10?

What happened to Motegi?

What happened to the Esso Supra?

What happened to the Stig?

WHY WHY WHY :(

Mush said:

What happened to Motegi?

The Stig is in the game. Shows up in the top gear intro, the rest of the stuff we mentioned we never actually saw it, but the Piaza del Campo track was done, and playable at a show. That's why I don't get it

ashk

The whole karting experience is underutilised. I haven't driven a kart since I first finished the special event, there should have been at least one karting event. Hopefully they'll add a karting seasonal event in the future.

offshore

Just finished watching the NASCAR race.....man, if only Talladega could make it into a GT game at some point, that would make for some amazing online races.

If NASCAR stays in GT for PS4, I get excited when I think how amazing it could be. Full fields.... :drool

Schmitty

ashk said:
The whole karting experience is underutilised. I haven't driven a kart since I first finished the special event, there should have been at least one karting event. Hopefully they'll add a karting seasonal event in the future.
It is quite boring so I'm glad it is only a special event

Metalmurphy said:
Imo opinion they should just remove car selfshadowing completely when in 3rd person or replays, but leave it during cockpit. In the cockpit seeing shadows passing by really fast really immerses you, and you don't notice the blocky shadows at all, during replay since the camera is always following the car you notice the blocky self shadows alot. Removing them would look better and it would probably improve performance as well.

Yeah, or at least give us an option to turn it off. The only other way for them to fix it would be to improve the AA and I don't think that's a possibility.

amar212

Mush said:

What happened to Motegi?

- Canceled because of two reasons: HD processing was requiring too much time and was producing a very data-heavy files. SD upload was discarded as option because of bad quality (look at the Shift 2 for example). My question would be "Why can't we share replays when there is clearly an export option"?

- 32 player private lobbies have been a miss-translation I presume

- Kaz said long ago (in Honda-hosted Tweeter Q&A prior to GT5 release) it will not make it for the initial game

- same as to all "old courses" - didn't make it. What intrigues me thouh is that Motegi is not present on that "leaked course logo" conspiracy-list. In the recent update Jordan noted how Super Speedway exists among the files - which is basically Motegi oval - but ther eis no Motegi branding. Probably some licensing issues.

- have no idea

- Whole Top Gear thing was obviously heavily compromised close to the release and we can only speculate how much was Microsoft involved.

BEKAZUE X3 :)

Mush

Thanks for the response Amar. It was mostly a pointless rant that I already knew the answers to (most of them anyway). :p

Wow, I totally forgot about Grinewald. That track is brilliant! I have no idea why GT 1 & 2 were not releases as PSone classics prior to GT5 release. I would have bought those games in a heart beat. Missed cash crab opportunity. Man, looking at the youtube videos of GT2..memories.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
amar212 said:
- Whole Top Gear thing was obviously heavily compromised close to the release and we can only speculate how much was Microsoft involved.

If you honestly think BBC/Top Gear AND/OR MS had a doing in the mishandling of the Top Gear license, you need to wrap yourself up in tinfoil and stop playing GT5 immediately.

No, Top Gear's misrepresentation is solely on Kaz for under utilizing it and on the BBC for not at least attempting to get Kaz to do more with it.

- Canceled because of two reasons: HD processing was requiring too much time and was producing a very data-heavy files. SD upload was discarded as option because of bad quality (look at the Shift 2 for example). My question would be "Why can't we share replays when there is clearly an export option"?

And since there is an export option, they can't do it like Just Cause 2 and export it as a.mpg (or whatever the .compressionformatthatallthecoolkidsareusingnowadays) to where we manually upload it to Youtube ourself? Really?

There is so many dropped balls with GT5.

TheSeks said:
If you honestly think BBC/Top Gear AND/OR MS had a doing in the mishandling of the Top Gear license, you need to wrap yourself up in tinfoil and stop playing GT5 immediately.

No, Top Gear's misrepresentation is solely on Kaz for under utilizing it and on the BBC for not at least attempting to get Kaz to do more with it.
"Microsoft signs exclusive deal with BBC Top Gear"

You don't exactly need a tinfoil hat to assume it. Don't be shock if GT6 doesn't feature it at all. Just like you shouldn't be surprised when Forza 4 ships without Porches. This shit happened before, and will continue to happen.

Lets not forget that all the Top Gear content mysteriously disappeared from GTTV as well.

TheSeks said:
And since there is an export option, they can't do it like Just Cause 2 and export it as a.mpg (or whatever the .compressionformatthatallthecoolkidsareusingnowadays) to where we manually upload it to Youtube ourself? Really?

There is so many dropped balls with GT5.
Computers, how do they work?!

Exporting game files has nothing to do with recording and encoding a video and then exporting it :p

offshore

Would anyone be that bothered if the Top Gear track vanished from GT? As someone who was really looking forward to its inclusion, it's actually not that interesting. Although granted, it's a massive missed opportunity tie-in wise.

I don't buy MS having something to do with that. I know Sony are stupid, but they wouldn't be stupid enough as not to have contracts in place that preclude someone snatching Top Gear away from them. Otherwise the track wouldn't have been in the game, surely.

I would like to think that Sony knew even in 2007 that MS or someone would at some point make a move for the track and the brand, and they'd at least tie it up for GT.

offshore said:
Would anyone be that bothered if the Top Gear track vanished from GT? As someone who was really looking forward to its inclusion, it's actually not that interesting. Although granted, it's a massive missed opportunity tie-in wise.

I don't buy MS having something to do with that. I know Sony are stupid, but they wouldn't be stupid enough as not to have contracts in place that preclude someone snatching Top Gear away from them. Otherwise the track wouldn't have been in the game, surely.

I would like to think that Sony knew even in 2007 that MS or someone would at some point make a move for the track and the brand, and they'd at least tie it up for GT.
I would. I think the track is actually pretty decent for time trials, and it's fun to compare TG lap times. But I was still hoping for some Top Gear themed events like it was shown in trailers, like drag racing a jet plane, evo vs impreza, or even race against or with The Stig.

As for MS having anything to do with it, well the lets not forget that all the Top Gear content mysteriously disappeared from GTTV as well.

Mobius 1

Metalmurphy said:
I would. I think the track is actually pretty decent for time trials, and it's fun to compare TG lap times. But I was still hoping for some Top Gear themed events like it was shown in trailers, like drag racing a jet plane, evo vs impreza, or even race against or with The Stig.

As for MS having anything to do with it, well the lets not forget that all the Top Gear content mysteriously disappeared from GTTV as well.

And notice how heavily it was featured in the leaked trailer for Forza Motorsport 4. Licensing issues certainly played a part in it, there's no need for tin foil to realize that.

Mush

Norante said:
And notice how heavily it was featured in the leaked trailer for Forza Motorsport 4. Licensing issues certainly played a part in it, there's no need for tin foil to realize that.
Hey, at least we haven't seen the Stig yet!

/happydays

offshore

Norante said:
And notice how heavily it was featured in the leaked trailer for Forza Motorsport 4.
That's the way Forza is evolving though. There was nothing to stop Sony featuring the test track heavily in any of the many GT trailers. But they only showed it once, during E3. Polyphony didn't obviously feel the need to pimp it as much as T10 are doing.

In any case, it seems pretty clear that actually having the test track did little for GT sales or reception. And it's not clear if T10 going even further with the TG brand will do anything for them either.

I'd better make clear, I'd obviously rather have the test track included than not, of course. But it just didn't feel as a special inclusion as I thought it would.

offshore said:
That's the way Forza is evolving though. There was nothing to stop Sony featuring the test track heavily in any of the many GT trailers. But they only showed it once, during E3. Polyphony didn't obviously feel the need to pimp it as much as T10 are doing.

In any case, it seems pretty clear that actually having the test track did little for GT sales or reception. And it's not clear if T10 going even further with the TG brand will do anything for them either.

I'd better make clear, I'd obviously rather have the test track included than not, of course. But it just didn't feel as a special inclusion as I thought it would.

How do you know? If we even get exclusive console "announcements" for MP games these days then anything can happen. Sad world we live in.

And I bet that yes, T10 will go further with it, cause they're not as closed minded as PD is in that regard. I really wouldn't be surprised if we saw some really cool stuff regarding TG track in Forza 4.

-viper-

Banned
G Rom said:
I tried head tracking around launch but haven't touched it since then as I don't use arcade mode at all too... :(
It's a shame because because I would have liked to learn driving with it.

Anyway, here are some recent photos. I've posted more in the photo sharing thread.

The LFA is so beautiful ! :)
Holy...shit :eek:

Best photomode shots I've seen. GT needs motion blur!

offshore

Metalmurphy said:
"There was nothing to stop Sony featuring the test track heavily in any of the many GT trailers"
Well, why would there be?

It was made public that the track would be in GT5 in 2007. The idea that some force was preventing Sony from promoting it in their trailers seems extremely implausible.

offshore said:
Well, why would there be?

It was made public that the track would be in GT5 in 2007. The idea that some force was preventing Sony from promoting it in their trailers seems extremely implausible.

The MS deal with BBC was announced after that though, not before. And we have seen exclusive deals on trailers before. I'm not saying that's what happened, just that it could have happened.

The misuse of the Top Gear license is so depressing :( When you hit triangle on a car in your garage, there should be the option, "Take to Top Gear Test Track" where it quickly loads you in the track, gives you a standing start and you set a hot lap. At the end, it posts your car name and time in a fashion just like the actual Top Gear leader board.

How the fuck was this not done! My god, so much awesome for so little effort on PD's part. Better yet, in your profile you can then change your "Test Track" to any track so you can quickly triangle click a car in your garage and take it to your favorite track for a hot lap.

I am seriously about to create a detailed presentation with revised menus and events to PD on my own time once I am done with school at the beginning of May. I don't even give a shit if they steal my ideas. My goal is to get in touch with PD this summer. Someone needs to fix this shit, I am up for it.

offshore

Metalmurphy said:
The MS deal with BBC was announced after that though, not before. And we have seen exclusive deals on trailers before. I'm not saying that's what happened, just that it could have happened.
The Forza deal was announced in September 2010, whereas the GT deal was announced in October 2007. That's a long time that Sony had before MS got involved.

Like I said previously, I would be amazed if Sony did not at that time sow up the TG license for the PS3. They would surely have known that MS would come after it down the line.

I understand you point (I think), but I just don't believe it's plausible for MS to have dictated what Sony could do with the TG license.

Dead Man

gutterboy44 said:
The misuse of the Top Gear license is so depressing :( When you hit triangle on a car in your garage, there should be the option, "Take to Top Gear Test Track" where it quickly loads you in the track, gives you a standing start and you set a hot lap. At the end, it posts your car name and time in a fashion just like the actual Top Gear leader board.

How the fuck was this not done! My god, so much awesome for so little effort on PD's part. Better yet, in your profile you can then change your "Test Track" to any track so you can quickly triangle click a car in your garage and take it to your favorite track for a hot lap.

I am seriously about to create a detailed presentation with revised menus and events to PD on my own time once I am done with school at the beginning of May. I don't even give a shit if they steal my ideas. My goal is to get in touch with PD this summer. Someone needs to fix this shit, I am up for it.
SOLD! Awesome idea.

offshore said:
The Forza deal was announced in September 2010, whereas the GT deal was announced in October 2007. That's a long time that Sony had before MS got involved.

Like I said previously, I would be amazed if Sony did not at that time sow up the TG license for the PS3. They would surely have known that MS would come after it down the line.

I understand you point (I think), but I just don't believe it's plausible for MS to have dictated what Sony could do with the TG license.

Huh? You mean the GT-TV content right? Not the actual track.

And yeah, ALOT of stuff should have been on the Triangle menu. I mean, that would be the ultimate solution for anything. New Tires? Triangle > Tunning Shop. Changing oil? Triangle > GT Auto.

And it's accessible from anywhere. Makes no sense as to why this wasn't done.

offshore

Metalmurphy said:
Huh? You mean the GT-TV content right? Not the actual track.
No, both.
Gamers will be able to download episodes of BBC Two show Top Gear inside video game Gran Turismo 5.

Forty episodes of the popular motoring show will be available on a dedicated Gran Turismo TV channel accessed via the PlayStation 3's online network.

Gran Turismo is the world's most popular racing video game series, with more than 47 million copies sold.

The test track used by Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond will be recreated inside GT5.

Virtual drivers will be able to race the hundreds of cars licensed inside the game around the track featured in the show.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is due for release in 2008. GT TV will also feature news and features about the motoring world.

"We're sure that players will be as thrilled as we are when they get the chance to put their own driving skills to the test on the Top Gear Test Track in GT5, as well as enjoying classic episodes of Top Gear via GT TV," said Kazunori Yamauchi, president of the game's developers Polyphony Digital, in a statement.

Simon Danker, director of digital media at BBC Worldwide said: "We're thrilled to make Top Gear accessible to Gran Turismo gamers."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7059887.stm
That was October 2007.

gutterboy44 said:

Your time was:

1:29.05

(X) Post time on Top Gear lap times board.
(O) Set lap time on fire.

offshore

I like this press triangle idea gutterboy has going on. Like MM is right, lots of stuff could have been put on there. And if they'd have had shortcut menus at the top of the screen like they had previous GT's, both of them together would have made it super quick to get around.

gutterboy44 said:
They could have at least given us the option to make bigoted comments about Mexicans in the game. Top Gear license my ass.
...lol, the concept of being bigoted toward a race and not a belief makes me lol.

brentech

Really wish Kaz would say something on twitter. Been a while. Starting to think they're really going to make us wait until E3 for info on future plans.

amar212

I don't get this "triangle" thing?

Basically, you want 100% streamlined menus, right? Like, to have direct shortcut for everything?

I dislike. It does not fit into "GT" philosophy. I agree that loading times COULD be shorter, but really, they're not that long.

Besides, I can understand the need to actually "go" somewhere in order to perform some actions, from testing, GT Auto processes or Upgrades shopping. It gives the immersion for your doings and gives a feel of actual process. I don't know, maybe I just love old-school GT philosophy too much, but IMO it should all stay as it is regarding navigation.

Streamlining everything would kill the spirit of GT, really. My 100% subjective opinion.

G Rom

-viper- said:
Holy...shit :eek:

Best photomode shots I've seen. GT needs motion blur!

amar212 said:

Basically, you want 100% streamlined menus, right? Like, to have direct shortcut for everything?

I dislike. It does not fit into "GT" philosophy. I agree that loading times COULD be shorter, but really, they're not that long.

Besides, I can understand the need to actually "go" somewhere in order to perform some actions, from testing, GT Auto processes or Upgrades shopping. It gives the immersion for your doings and gives a feel of actual process. I don't know, maybe I just love old-school GT philosophy too much, but IMO it should all stay as it is regarding navigation.

Streamlining everything would kill the spirit of GT, really. My 100% subjective opinion.

You've just answered your own question. :-D

The GT philosophy wasn't bad in the late 90's/early 00's because everyone had the same but since GT4, games have progressed immensely in the UI department.
You say that the loading aren't that long, sure they're not but when you've got one between each screen, it begins to add up quite a lot of time.
I'm pretty sure that in lots of Spec-A races, you spend more time in the menu than actually racing due to the car restriction then the tyre restriction requiring to go back in other menus.
I don't understand why someone would prefer a UI where you're constantly going back and forth between menus when it could (as shown by other games in the genre) be much more streamlined... :/

Why there's loading in the career is a total mystery to me anyway as all the menus are 2D...

amar212 said:

We already have the Triangle menu amar. On every car you select you can press triangle, and it'll give you tons of options, Settings, Change Car, Gift, Sell. Why isn't on the menu an option to take that car to the Tunning Shop, GT Auto, even A-Spec and B-spec. It would automatically change you to that car, and take you directly to those menus. Instead of Change Car > Back (x # depending on where you are) > Loading screen > GT Auto > Loading screen.

It would save up SO much time.

It would pretty much save all the problems. Imagine ur in A-Spec, and an event requires a Car, that you don't have chosen, and Confort Soft that you don't have. Click the Garage icon in A-Spec, browse cars, choose one, triangle, Tunning shop, buy tires, back (if they added the menu u were before in memory it would be even faster), race.

Top Bottom