• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Dibbz

I'm in the middle of Suzuka 1000km endurance race. Been racing for nearly 2 and a half hours and I'm not half way through yet. Taking a break and hoping it rains :D

EDIT:- I wish you could program the steering wheel to scroll through different information like fuel. I ran out of fuel at the start of one lap, thought it was going to last a few more laps, and limped around the track because I have the HUD disabled :(

That's the race where the AI has SuperGT cars as well isn't it? Wish I had your patience.

I choose the fastest cars for the fixed laps endurance races. The ones with the clock I choose proper cars :p

brentech

Metalmurphy said:
That's the race where the AI has SuperGT cars as well isn't it? Wish I had your patience.

I choose the fastest cars for the fixed laps endurance races. The ones with the clock I choose proper cars :p
Timed endurance races I use the x1 and push out a good lap lead, then walk away and let time run down before comin back and finishing a final lap.

Still have the 9 and 24 hour events left, the other ones I did that.

Random question: Did they fix the starts in the last patch? After one of the older (mega) patches they changed every start in A-Spec into a rolling start and I hated it with a passion.

f0rk

Lagspike_exe said:
ZR1 Race Mod.

This was good advice, really moves considering the price. Got through some more events, but the progress in exp is depressing. And NASCAR races really suck. On the oval courses I get knocked and immediately spin out, on the standard courses the car really isn't fun to drive.

Does anyone have a favourite 'benchmarking' track? I've been using Deep Forest but I was wondering if there was a better one that really shows how good a car is, I don't really know much about racing.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So, uh...what are the chances of PD offering us a full ~20GB install option to reduce loading times to mere seconds?

offshore

AlphaSnake said:
So, uh...what are the chances of PD offering us a full ~20GB install option to reduce loading times to mere seconds?
I don't think a full install like that would work. IIRC, the HDD and laser both load data simultaneously to make the loading quicker.

If you lumped everything on the HDD, I'm not sure it would speed it up, and indeed it would probably make it slower.

Dibbz

wow so approaching the 5 hour mark on Suzuka 1000km soon. Just made a pit stop got some new tyres on and filled the tank up. Should last me about 20 laps for my final pit stop and then I'm done :D

It's been blue sky so far and doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon. It's interesting how the sun does change position though. It started off with an orange tint, then went grey kinda like overcast but not and now the sun is above us all with a blue tint. Even though there is no day night cycle on Suzuka there are some subtle changes to the light on this weather version.

Need to take a break right now and listen to some music.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
offshore said:
I don't think a full install like that would work. IIRC, the HDD and laser both load data simultaneously to make the loading quicker.

If you lumped everything on the HDD, I'm not sure it would speed it up, and indeed it would probably make it slower.

Gah.

Dibbz

Ahhhh finally finished. 172 laps of Suzuka wow took me just over 6 hours and not a drop of rain. Guess I got lucky, but I honestly wanted it to rain since it would help me stay focused.

If there was real day/night shift on Suzuka it would definitely help you keep concentration. I'm mentally drained right now. Time for sleep :D

Found this pic on GTPlanet. Goes well with what I've just done.

suzukacircuit2full.jpg

Nicely done, Dibbz. :)

Meanwhile, I think I may have pinpointed what's wrong with the sound in this game: it's not that it doesn't sound good (apart from it not reacting to tunnels, which still sucks) but instead it's that there's no bass at all. Just bought a Ford GT (does not disappoint, btw) and noticed there was NOTHING coming from my sub: 90% of the sound was coming from the back-rear speakers, which are effectively tweeters.

Two things come to mind:

1) Some kind of internal bass boost (patch?) would make the game sound 100% better.

2) I wonder if picking up some $50 EQ or something for my setup would do the trick as well.

Also, question: Are soft racing tires cheap? What's the verdict there? Said Ford GT is blowing the doors off everyone (Enzo's, McLaren F1's, etc.) with that being my only upgrade. Feels wrong.

I noticed that too. This game handles the channels in a weird way. Specially if your on simple stereo.

You can crash head on with the 3rd person camera and you hear no sound at all. If you change to the rear camera and crash again you hear it, and pretty loudly as well. This must mess up the sound alot when in cockpit view. Like not hearing the engine properly if it's rear engine or something.

And yes, Racing tires are pretty "cheap" if the rest of the competition aren't using it.

NEOPARADIGM said:
Also, question: Are soft racing tires cheap? What's the verdict there? Said Ford GT is blowing the doors off everyone (Enzo's, McLaren F1's, etc.) with that being my only upgrade. Feels wrong.

Using racing softs almost feels like cheating or using assists. It's really crazy.

S. L.

this mazda mx5 4hour endurance race is as pretty damn boring.
they couldn't find a more boring track to do this aside from the nascar ovals.
yaaawn... 2 hours in now

Suzuka 1000km sounds a 1000 times more fun

Dead Man

S. L. said:
this mazda mx5 4hour endurance race is as pretty damn boring.
they couldn't find a more boring track to do this aside from the nascar ovals.
yaaawn... 2 hours in now

Suzuka 1000km sounds a 1000 times more fun
It's based on a very popular real race if I remember correctly. But that one involves co drivers I think...

S. L.

doooone! my arms are heavy now.

5 endurance races to go and a damn Formula GT car needs to show up in my used car store :(

brentech

S. L. said:

5 endurance races to go and a damn Formula GT car needs to show up in my used car store :(
If PSN ever comes back up, there is always one available in the online dealership. just in case you weren't aware.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
brentech said:
If PSN ever comes back up, there is always one available in the online dealership. just in case you weren't aware.

Slightly cheaper as well, IIRC.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
S. L. said:

It took me a month of perpetual visits to the UCS. A. Friggin. Month.

Dibbz

S. L. said:

Driving around Suzuka for 6 hours is not as fun as you think. It was bone dry when I did it would have been better with some rain. In fact I can't imagine what it would be like it if rained for the whole race, that would be 1000x worse.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Metalmurphy said:
oO There's always one one the online dealership.
Not when (a) I had the money, and (b) could go on psn.

mclaren777

brotkasten said:
Random question: Did they fix the starts in the last patch? After one of the older (mega) patches they changed every start in A-Spec into a rolling start and I hated it with a passion.
They did what?! :eek:

Please tell me this isn't true. Please!

offshore

Mush is in New Zealand isn't he?

Johnston adds: “Anyone can register to compete in the Gran Turismo 5 virtual challenge, which is made possible with the support of Sony PlayStation. Simply come to Hampton Downs Motorsport Park for 9am on Sunday 8 May, pay the entry fee to the circuit and look for the Sony signage to find the GT5 competition arena inside the pavilion.

“The GT5 experience is made all the more exciting when using one of the most impressive racing simulators to ever hit the market, the VisionRacer. Sold in over 40 countries, the simulator is the brainchild of a New Zealand design team, proving that once again Kiwis are in pole position when it comes to excellence in both racing and product innovation.”

For the first round of the GT5 competition, all entrants will ‘drive’ the HKS Racing Performer CT230R on Vision Racer simulation units and attempt to do the fastest lap on the Tsukuba Circuit. A scoreboard of times will be kept throughout the day, with the entrant with the fastest lap time receiving $500 cash and a special GT5 prize pack from Sony.

Then, the top eight competitors race off in a final time-trial session ‘driving’ Sébastien Loeb's 2010 Citroën WRC car on a Gran Turismo gravel rally stage until the grand winner is found. All eight finalists receive a GT5 prize pack and a $50 Gull petrol voucher, while the winner gets to take home their own Sony PlayStation3 console, $500 cash, $100 Gull fuel voucher and more from Red Bull and Sony.

David Hine, Director, Sales and Marketing, Sony Computer Entertainment NZ comments: “We are extremely excited about the mix of both virtual and on track high octane racing action that will be on display at Hampton Downs. Gran Turismo 5 for PS3™ encompasses a wide variety of motorsport disciplines whether on Nürburgring, drifting or for the rally fans taking it to the dirt tracks. It will be great to see the top times in the GT5 Virtual Challenge at Hampton Downs.”
http://www.rallybuzz.com/gt5-comp-rally-new-zealand/

Anyone here have a Fifa 11 PS3 copy they want to sell? (Cheap), or anywhere i can get the game Cheap ($30 or below). I want to quench my GT5 online thirst.

brentech

After constantly running bspec dream championship (even though already lvl40 there) throughout this outage, my original driver just got the air of experience trophy.

Also made so much money that I'm only a few cars from the "car collector" trophy. Could have it already, but have just been buying cars I don't have. At this point, I'm lucky if there is even 2 when I refresh the UCD fully.

Does anyone know if you can use the "keyboard trick" in b-spec at all?

Also, I have unlocked the x1 in the showroom. If I CBF doing the redbull challenges, can I still buy the painted version from the dealer at lvl 40?

evil_as_skeletor said:
Does anyone know if you can use the "keyboard trick" in b-spec at all?

Also, I have unlocked the x1 in the showroom. If I CBF doing the redbull challenges, can I still buy the painted version from the dealer at lvl 40?

The keyboard will be constantly pushing the "keep pace" button, but apart from that it should work. And you get a free X1 at B-spec lvl 30

6for8

evil_as_skeletor said:

Completed the Vettel challenge before lvl 40 so can't confirm directly but I have 2 PSN friends that have not trophied the challenge and still purchased the painted car from the showroom.

Don't give up on the challenge too quickly. Driving the car is a singular experience and requires time on the track. I couldn't even keep the car off the grass when I first tried it.

Alright, cheers guys.
I'll just aim for 40 then purchase one.
The slackers way out!

Hopefully keyboard will cycle the menus in b-spec too.

PSN should be fixed this week so hopefully some new seasonals to enjoy.

Wth, the fuel gauges don't work? For some reason I though they did. Just ran out of fuel on the 4 hour Nurburgring Endurance cause I had the HUD off >.<

S. L.

evil_as_skeletor said:
Alright, cheers guys.
I'll just aim for 40 then purchase one.
The slackers way out!

Hopefully keyboard will cycle the menus in b-spec too.

PSN should be fixed this week so hopefully some new seasonals to enjoy.
bronze isn't overly difficult for the Vettel challenge
just have to learn the rough timing

brentech

Got the 1000 cars. I still have the trivial win by .01 or less to acquire, but really need to gold the Vettel challenges and hit aspec 40 to platinum the game.

Metalmurphy said:
Wth, the fuel gauges don't work? For some reason I though they did. Just ran out of fuel on the 4 hour Nurburgring Endurance cause I had the HUD off >.<

Speaking of niggling shit like that, a bunch of cars only display KPH despite my having the setting on MPH. Obviously that setting only applies to the HUD which I do not use. Particularly dissatisfying is my '69 Vette's speedo getting buried at like 70 MPH.

Top Bottom