• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

-viper-

Banned
GT5 would have looked better if they pushed for graphical effects at 720p.

Shift looks better because of the motion blur and depth of field effects. The lighting also looks really, really nice.

Photomode graphics @ PS4 is what I want! :p

Dibbz

-viper- said:
My brother picked up Shift 2 and I was played it earlier. It handles like shit. Cars slide around the track just like the first game.

Visuals look absolutely amazing though. Sound effects are fantastic too.

But I think it's a 30FPS game so no wonder it looks so good.
Eugh I thought they would have sorted the handling out by now. No wonder there was no demo for Shift 2.

G Rom

Metalmurphy said:
I said when I play. Not when Eurogamer did it's tests. I play most of the time online on non city tracks, and the game is 60 fps 95% of the time. It's also rare to have more then 3 cars in view except for the start, which is where those 5% come from.

Also, don't forget those Eurogamer tests where done pre-patch. They did improve performance, even if very little.

Not to mention that... they have a history of being quite selective with their analysis...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGXONhFOrkg

My most played tracks are by far La Sarthe and the Nordschleife (best tracks to take photos with the dynamic time of day), hardly city tracks. I should also add that I'm alone on the track when I take my photos and I choose a sunny weather all the time (framerate would be even worse with rain and with the low res alphas, you can't take good photos anyway).
In those conditions, I can tell you that the game is not 60 fps 95% of the time, even after the patch.

I'll post the link to the full thing and the in-game results of the analysis you mentioned, if you don't mind :

Clip 1 (in-game Tsukuba):
Length of clip: 10887 frames
Average FPS of clip: 59.46
Percent of torn frames: 14.68

Clip 2 (in-game Suzuka):
Length of clip: 13136 frames
Average FPS of clip: 55.98
Percent of torn frames: 22.41

The fixed-weather version of Suzuka and Tsukuba are some of the best optimized redone tracks in the game. Even then, the average framerate on 3/4 of Suzuka (would have been worse with a whole lap) doesn't reach 60 fps. I'll concede that it is almost constant on Tsukuba though.
Honestly, it's not the lack of 60 fps that I find the worst when playing, it's the unstable framerate. If I had to choose, I would prefer a locked 50 fps rather than a 40≤framerate≤60...

Also, your comment about Digital Foundry reminds of the theorists who thought we doctored/faked our GT5 screenshots to make it look bad. :-D

Metalmurphy said:
Why am I seeing the opposite in said analysis videos?

You're right, I was totally wrong when I said "most of the time", I should have said "sometimes" (in the Nürburgring video).

BTW, the PSN outage is pissing me off :
- I can't go online obviously
- I can't do any B-Spec since all of my drivers are shared
- Each time I quite the Arcade Mode to go in GT Mode (to export photos), I get asked twice if I want to sign in. Once in the main menu and once one second later when entering GT Mode...
- I have to use the Arcade Mode which doesn't allow me to use my career cars, relying on the 50 Favorites instead...

G Rom said:
My most played tracks are by far La Sarthe and the Nordschleife (best tracks to take photos with the dynamic time of day), hardly city tracks. I should also add that I'm alone on the track when I take my photos and I choose a sunny weather all the time (framerate would be even worse with rain and with the low res alphas, you can't take good photos anyway).
In those conditions, I can tell you that the game is not 60 fps 95% of the time, even after the patch.

I'll post the link to the full thing and the in-game results of the analysis you mentioned, if you don't mind :

Clip 1 (in-game Tsukuba):
Length of clip: 10887 frames
Average FPS of clip: 59.46
Percent of torn frames: 14.68

Clip 2 (in-game Suzuka):
Length of clip: 13136 frames
Average FPS of clip: 55.98
Percent of torn frames: 22.41

The fixed-weather version of Suzuka and Tsukuba are some of the best optimized redone tracks in the game. Even then, the average framerate on 3/4 of Suzuka (would have been worse with a whole lap) doesn't reach 60 fps. I'll concede that it is almost constant on Tsukuba though.
Honestly, it's not the lack of 60 fps that I find the worst when playing, it's the unstable framerate. If I had to choose, I would prefer a locked 50 fps rather than a 40≤framerate≤60...

Also, your comment about Digital Foundry reminds of the theorists who thought we doctored/faked our GT5 screenshots to make it look bad. :-D

You're right, I was totally wrong when I said "most of the time", I should have said "sometimes" (in the Nürburgring video).

BTW, the PSN outage is pissing me off :
- I can't go online obviously
- I can't do any B-Spec since all of my drivers are shared
- Each time I quite the Arcade Mode to go in GT Mode (to export photos), I get asked twice if I want to sign in. Once in the main menu and once one second later when entering GT Mode...
- I have to use the Arcade Mode which doesn't allow me to use my career cars, relying on the 50 Favorites instead...
Are you telling me that you see massive/constant drops while alone on the ring and sarthe tracks? I really don't believe that at all. At most it drops to like 55 fps occasionally.

And Yeah I'm not really gonna go into detail about the DF thing... but after the FF13 fiasco I think there's nothing more that needs to be said.

Also don't understand why anyone would think taxigamer shots are doctored, as they're some of the best direct feed ones around, IGNs being the worst ones around. Forsetes still has the crown though.

And why do you "have" to use arcade mode btw? oO

S. L.

so after reading all that Sarthe Indinanapolis section talk i gave it a try to gold,
and after many many tries i got it with 38.019 :D :D
guess the trick was to always stay inside, brake the first corner fairly late and the last two very early

Sorry if this is a stupid/old news question, but am I missing it or is there literally no way to drive on the Top Gear test track outside of the special event thing? It's not in arcade mode, and it's not in practice mode? Really? Tell me I'm missing it somewhere!

brentech

NEOPARADIGM said:
Sorry if this is a stupid/old news question, but am I missing it or is there literally no way to drive on the Top Gear test track outside of the special event thing? It's not in arcade mode, and it's not in practice mode? Really? Tell me I'm missing it somewhere!
Been a while, so I think this is accurate....but I unlocks by beating all 3 challenges.

Might actually be different criteria. But it definelty unlocks for arcade mode and practice and your lounge.

NEOPARADIGM said:

I'm pretty sure you unlock it by beating all the special event challenges.

I was looking forward to comparing my lap times to The Stig's, but quit trying after the abysmal Samba Bus race. Who the hell at Polyphony thought that the best use of the Top Gear license-- a show that has dropped a pickup truck off a skyscraper, driven to the North Pole, and pitted a Veyron against a fucking Eurofighter-- was to ignore all that and instead torture you with an arthritic joke of a VW whose acceleration could only be described as glacial? Somebody please tell me the subsequent TG challenges are a bit more interesting.

I'm only up to level 11 in A-Spec, but other than the disappointing Top Gear content, antiquated menus/UI, and generally poor engine sounds, there's very little for me to complain about in GT5. The driving feel, even with a lowly DS3, is simply wonderful, and, of course, the premium car models are without equal. The inconsistencies of the game are occasionally frustrating, but at the same time, I have to applaud the ambition of PD for including such a variety of racing disciplines, weather, time of day, etc. The lack of FIA GT/ALMS/ILMC sports cars and prototypes makes me sad, but a most excellent game it certainly is.

RaijinFY

Metalmurphy said:
I just hope they stick to the same engine for GT PS4 instead of making a new one again/or upgrading it alot, and end up with new performance problems. This engine running perfectly with 24 car grid is all I want. It would be perfect.

That was the reason of the long development cycle imo. No doubt about it. They were developing the game for the PS3 hardware sure but also as future proof for the PS4 hardware too. You reallycant imagine them remodeling all the premium cars and the tracks too?

RaijinFY said:
That was the reason of the long development cycle imo. No doubt about it. They were developing the game for the PS3 hardware sure but also as future proof for the PS4 hardware too. You reallycant imagine them remodeling all the premium cars and the tracks too?
Well I mentioned engine specifically and not just car models. The cars in Photo Travel are already more detailed then when in Race Mode, so they already modeled them above PS3 limitation.

brentech

Metalmurphy said:
Well I mentioned engine specifically and not just car models. The cars in Photo Travel are already more detailed then when in Race Mode, so they already modeled them above PS3 limitation.
Yeah, one way or another, hopefully they'll be more ready to release at launch or right around it. The wait for GT5 was unbearable.

They seem to have most of the assets in place. They even have a lot of the functions in place, they just need to put them together in a more rational means. Their development motto for GT6 or anything that might be coming at us from now on should be: STREAMLINE (both in terms of how the game's design and their own efficiency).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Spaceman Spiff said:
Somebody please tell me the subsequent TG challenges are a bit more interesting.

No, and if you think the Sambabus is bad, just wait until you do the Lotus challenge (AKA: the next one).

Honestly:

-50MPH OK. 51+ NOT OKAY to love tap someone.
-Cut corners, watch out for the RED cones, orange is okay to knock over and cut through.
-Gambon, take the LEFT (or right) side to pass by people at 50MPH. The AI brakes, you don't. Provided you're in the "sweet spot" of the DQ limit for MPH taps, you can get past them and take first easy.

Edit: How the fuck do you get past the Formula Gran Turismo event? I can't drive that damn thing worth a damn and can't imagine the 100 laps I need to do for the tournament to gold the event. >_<

brentech

Luckily, like 2-3 weeks ago I took one of my drivers offline for use in B-Spec even though I'm level 40. Been using him to grind the Dream Car Championship and progress him towards 'air of experience' trophy. I know there is a faster way to do that, but this also earns me 86k per race (set of 5) and another 433,000CR for winning the cup.

With the X1 or FGT, it takes about 15-20min per event. I just start the races and turn the controller off and work in the studio downstairs or play Fifa11 on the 360. Has earned me a shit load of CR and I've been clearing out the used lot every time I come out. Have lots of cars I'm excited to try out now....you can always count on a 'ring server being up for races or free-run with people which is usually pretty fun, especially if PP or something is used to keep the cars in line, but even without it.

I wish they would either separate miles traveled by a-spec/b-spec or just cut b-spec out of the picture though. I hit level 40 b-spec before remote play came out, so all those miles are added in there, and now this.....the stat is just wayyyy out to whack. I'd like to know what my actual seat time is.

I went to the archive and went through half of the EPIC thread on GT5 (Title: Release date incoming) and i couldn't stop laughing. the Gif's in that thread is golden. Probably the greatest thread in GAF history. I couldn't contribute cause my account was still pending. When i look back now it was one hell of a week.

Schmitty

brentech said:
Luckily, like 2-3 weeks ago I took one of my drivers offline for use in B-Spec even though I'm level 40. Been using him to grind the Dream Car Championship and progress him towards 'air of experience' trophy. I know there is a faster way to do that, but this also earns me 86k per race (set of 5) and another 433,000CR for winning the cup.
What is the quicker way?

brentech

Running races that take like less than 4min to complete, over and over and over. The experience bar is based on races completed by that driver, but remote play doesn't count. So they have to be actual B-spec mode races. Regardless of length, each race counts for the same thing.

Damn, this thread hasn't been touched in almost 2 days, and here was thinking that GT5 might get an OT3 in a year or so. Oh well. (would be cool if GT5 became the firstracing game to get three OT)

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Damn, this thread hasn't been touched in almost 2 days, and here was thinking that GT5 might get an OT3 in a year or so. Oh well. (would be cool if GT5 became the firstracing game to get three OT)

PSN is down, so nothing to talk about everyone is done with SP at this time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Metalmurphy said:

Not me, but A/B-spec grind becomes unfun.

Metalmurphy said:

Even when PSN was up, the only discussion on this thread was bitching about the lack of content/innovations for 10+ pages :/

Dare I say, there hasnt been any worthwhile discussion in this thread since the beginning of this year.

Hopefully E3 brings some news. Seems like a perfect place to announce some new content. Will be dissapointed if we still have nothing new announced or shown regarding GT.

offshore

SunhiLegend said:
Hopefully E3 brings some news. Seems like a perfect place to announce some new content. Will be dissapointed if we still have nothing new announced or shown regarding GT.
No kidding, the GT5 train has finally run out. Needs a Spec II re-fuel.

fu3lfr3nzy, I think you're a little wide of the mark saying there's been no worthwhile discussion in here. There's been plenty of posts that have given solutions as to how GT5 could be fixed and enhanced, along with future GT's.

The people left posting in here are the most dedicated GT fans around. There's been plenty of good discussion, and if PD even just implemented half of the ideas bandied around in here, GT5 would be a hell of a lot strong a game, and not the frustrating, amazing, flawed, incredible product that it currently is.

f0rk

What car should I be using for the harder A-spec extreme events? Like the Wind and the dream car championship are quite hard with my favourite premium cars. I see the Chaparrals in a lot of events I'm having trouble with, do I need to wait for these to come round in the used dealership?
I'm at level 28 and the grind is annoying.

f0rk said:
What car should I be using for the harder A-spec extreme events? Like the Wind and the dream car championship are quite hard with my favourite premium cars. I see the Chaparrals in a lot of events I'm having trouble with, do I need to wait for these to come round in the used dealership?

ZR1 Race Mod.

brentech

I think I've finally wrangled in all of the DTM cars.
Also hit the 900 car mark today. Been purchasing everything that shows up on the used market that I don't already own or that isn't an actual pure race car. Figure I will save those for later since I rarely ever drive them (if at all).

I much prefer LM cars/prototypes and touring cars over the full on 5mil race cars. I like driving something that is at least based on a commercial vehicles body, so those are fun to collect.

I've not been driving at all since PSN went down. Just been grinding my BSpec and collecting. Going to have a lot of car testing/fun when PSN is back up. I forsee many a lap around the 'ring in my future.

=D

fu3lfr3nzy said:
Even when PSN was up, the only discussion on this thread was bitching about the lack of content/innovations for 10+ pages :/

Dare I say, there hasnt been any worthwhile discussion in this thread since the beginning of this year.

That´s what i was afraid. I knew that after i had finished the endless grind, most people would already had moved on.

:(

It´s only getting started for me. I´m glad there´s GTPlanet and SuperGT league to keep things going.

SuperGT league should start this week if PSN is back from dead.

6for8

f0rk said:

When PSN is back from vacation you can add me and borrow the X1 I keep in my profile. Have all of the hard to find when you need it most cars as well.

When you have a x1 and a keyboard, there is no grind.

brentech

6for8 said:
When PSN is back from vacation you can add me and borrow the X1 I keep in my profile. Have all of the hard to find when you need it most cars as well.

When you have a x1 and a keyboard, there is no grind.
What's the keyboard for? Not heard of that one.

6for8

brentech said:
What's the keyboard for? Not heard of that one.

You use the keyboard so the race starts again automatically if you are in the park chasing squirrels. For 'like the wind' I have a controller jammed under the couch and a usb keyboard hooked up to ps3. Set something on the ENTER key and the race will repeat.

Not sure if having the x button depressed on controller will work. Does it repeat?

$70,000 per race and 4,000 exp per minute. Also the used lot is refreshed.

This is for A-spec. I think it is 3 times the money and exp you would get in B-spec.

dubc35

GT was dead to me, I barely played it if at all. If I played any racing games it was GTR2. I finally got around to buying a HD monitor for my laptop docking station and some long HDMI/USB cords for my DFGT and I'm back in the GT swing. I haven't even noticed PSN being down...besides the 87 times it asks me if I want to sign in to PSN, lol.

Dibbz

Does anyone know why Nurburgring GP doesn't have day/night? I mean it's there in the 24hr version so it can be done. Just really weird.

Dibbz said:
Does anyone know why Nurburgring GP doesn't have day/night? I mean it's there in the 24hr version so it can be done. Just really weird.

Probably for the same reason as why you can't race real circuits in reverse. Has there ever been official races at night in the GP layout?

amar212

Metalmurphy said:
Probably for the same reason as why you can't race real circuits in reverse.

I understand for RL ones, but I still do not understand why all layouts of Cape Ring are not available in reverse, since it is an Original track.

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
Probably for the same reason as why you can't race real circuits in reverse. Has there ever been official races at night in the GP layout?
That sounds about right. Still doesn't answer why it can't rain on the GP layout though...

amar212 said:
I understand for RL ones, but I still do not understand why all layouts of Cape Ring are not available in reverse, since it is an Original track.
Huh? Pretty sure I raced Cape Ring in reverse. I know I went both up and down on the corkscrew.

amar212

Metalmurphy said:
Huh? Pretty sure I raced Cape Ring in reverse. I know I went both up and down on the corkscrew.

None of them is actually reversed in classical way.

We have Cape Ring, Cape Ring Inside, Cape Ring North, Cape Ring Outside and Cape Ring South, and loop is shared on Cape Ring and Cape Ring Outside variants which flow into different directions.

amar212 said:
None of them is actually reversed in classical way.

We have Cape Ring, Cape Ring Inside, Cape Ring North, Cape Ring Outside and Cape Ring South, and loop is shared on Cape Ring and Cape Ring Outside variants which flow into different directions.

I see. Not a big fan of Cape Ring tbh, but I knew I had raced it in different directions

I was really looking forward to racing at Suzuka at night and other circuit tracks like Fuji and Nurburgring GP, but instead the only real tracks with dynamic time are the full nurburgring track and Le Sarthe. I don't understand why a track like Suzuka didn't have a night version same with Fuji. Also wheres Daytona at night.

-viper-

Banned
Shift 2 has an excellent selection of tracks. If they can do it, why can't PD? It amazes me how other studios are pumping out cars and tracks yet PD take 5 years to model 20 tracks.

How I would LOVE these tracks in GT..

Automotodrom Brno (GP) [link]
Autodromo Di Pergusa (GP) [link]
Autodromo Nazionale di Monza (GP+Junior) [link]
Autodromo Nazionale di Monza (1958 GP) [Legends Pack DLC/April 26/800MSP-$9.99] [link]
Autopolis International Racing Course (GP+Lakeside) [link]
Brands Hatch (GP+Indy) [link]
Circuit de Catalunya (GP+Club+National) [link]
Circuit Dijon-Prenois (GP+Short) [link]
Circuit Dijon-Prenois (1972 GP) [Legends Pack DLC/April 26/800MSP-$9.99] [link]
Circuit Spa-Francorchamps (GP) [link]
Circuit Zolder (GP) [link]
Donington Park (GP+National) [link]
Dubai Autodrome (GP+International+National+Club) [link]
Ebisu Circuit (West+South+Togue) [link]
HockenheimRing (GP+National+Short) [link]
HockenheimRing (1981 GP) [Legends Pack DLC/April 26/800MSP-$9.99] [link]
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca (GP) [link]
Motorsport Arena Oschersleben (GP+B Course) [link]
Mount Panorama Circuit Bathurst (GP) [link]
Nürburgring (GP+Sprint+Sprint Short+Müllenbach Schleife+Nordschleife+Aremberg+Karussell+Nürburg) [link]
Road America (GP) [link]
Rouen-Les-Essarts (1956 GP+1952 Short) [Legends Pack DLC/April 26/800MSP-$9.99] [link]
Silverstone Circuit (GP+Bridge GP+International 2009+National) [link]
Silverstone Circuit (1975 GP) [Legends Pack DLC/April 26/800MSP-$9.99] [link]
Suzuka Circuit (GP+East+West) [link]
Toyota Speedway at Irwindale (Drift Layout 1+Drift Layout 2+Oval Drift) [link]
Willow Springs Raceway (GP+Horse Thief Mile) [link]

-viper- said:
Shift 2 has an excellent selection of tracks. If they can do it, why can't PD? It amazes me how other studios are pumping out cars and tracks yet PD take 5 years to model 20 tracks.

That's such a silly thing to say.

GT5 can have 230 premiums. If they can do it why can't SimBin?
GT5 has day/night cycles. If they can do it why can't SimBin?
Shift 2 has good visual damage. If they can do it why can't PD?

etc... etc...

They all can do anything and everything, but if they do it games would all be the same and have 20 year dev cycles.

-viper-

Banned
Metalmurphy said:

That's such a silly thing to say.

GT5 can have 230 premiums. If they can do it why can't SimBin?
GT5 has day/night cycles. If they can do it why can't SimBin?
Shift 2 has good visual damage. If they can do it why can't PD?

etc... etc...

They all can do anything and everything, but if they do it games would all be the same and have 20 year dev cycles.
Eh, the day night cycles weren't exactly great.

Limited to a small number of tracks. To me it seems like it was handled better in Shift 2. The headlights actually illuminate the road ahead.

-viper- said:
Eh, the day night cycles weren't exactly great.

Limited to a small number of tracks. To me it seems like it was handled better in Shift 2. The headlights actually illuminate the road ahead.
They handled it by not handling it. Shift 2 doesn't have a day/night cycle at all.

But that's besides the point. And yeah, they day/night cycles are indeed great. One of the best features in GT5. Only problem with it is the number of tracks that support it.

brentech

What exactly about the day/night cycles isn't great? Our DTM race at La Sarthe was amazing with it switching to night.....I don't notice any technical issues. Personally think it's handled great.

As said though, the only issue with it being night is the lack of luminance provided by the car lights, but as I don't drive those cars -- so that could very well be realistic (i keep exposure set to 0, so i dont try to amplify it either). Once you get to sections that have light poles or something it makes a helps a lot.

brentech said:
What exactly about the day/night cycles isn't great? Our DTM race at La Sarthe was amazing with it switching to night.....I don't notice any technical issues. Personally think it's handled great.

As said though, the only issue with it being night is the lack of luminance provided by the car lights, but as I don't drive those cars -- so that could very well be realistic (i keep exposure set to 0, so i dont try to amplify it either). Once you get to sections that have light poles or something it makes a helps a lot.

Never been to the Nurburgring at night irl, so I can't say much, but by looking at onboard cameras of real races, I'd say that GT5 isn't too far off. It definitely is alot easier to see on SHIFT2 but I don't know if that's entirely realistic.

Top Bottom