• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

brentech

NEOPARADIGM said:
Speaking of niggling shit like that, a bunch of cars only display KPH despite my having the setting on MPH. Obviously that setting only applies to the HUD which I do not use. Particularly dissatisfying is my '69 Vette's speedo getting buried at like 70 MPH.
The cars display whatever system the country it was made/tuned in.

NEOPARADIGM said:
Speaking of niggling shit like that, a bunch of cars only display KPH despite my having the setting on MPH. Obviously that setting only applies to the HUD which I do not use. Particularly dissatisfying is my '69 Vette's speedo getting buried at like 70 MPH.
They modelled the speedos according to the real car. If it's a European/Japanese car it's gonna display KMH, if it's American or British, MPH

Metalmurphy said:
They modelled the speedos according to the real car. If it's a European/Japanese car it's gonna display KMH, if it's American or British, MPH

brentech said:
The cars display whatever system the country it was made/tuned in.

Hence my using my American Corvette as an example, fellas. Also, my ZR1 'Vette RCM is KPH on the wheel as well.

brentech

Metalmurphy said:
RMs are done by PD, hence KPH. The original Vette isn't show kph is it?
Nope. That's why I put the word "tuned" in my response. If you go to the car view and click on the description, the top line will say "tuned by gran turismo" or something to that effect.

All this was discussed some time ago. Probably in the original OT.

Dibbz

Metalmurphy said:
Wth, the fuel gauges don't work? For some reason I though they did. Just ran out of fuel on the 4 hour Nurburgring Endurance cause I had the HUD off >.<
Which car we you using? I'm sure I've seen the fuel gauge go down on cars.

Kaze13

FGT series was fun. Pure concentration to win at cote de azure and absolutely thrilling come from behind victories. Other than not having the option to save, I had a blast. Suzuka rain race = skipped. That's the only race where I was baffled. Soft tires faster than rain tires...ugh. Why does iy work like that there?

Finally got my new PS3 today after my old one bust along with the HDD. Will have to level up all over again :( Felt so good to play GT again after 3 weeks, although i've been addicted to rfactor F1 2011 recently so it might be difficult for me to start GT5 up again.

jett said:
So what's up with this game, did damage ever get fixed? Has there been any interesting post-launch content?
Visually no, mechanically, only on online races and practice.

There's been tons of stuff added through updates, but as far as "actual" content, like cars or tracks, there has been none.

offshore

Four weeks today until Sony's E3. I hope they've really been listening and a game-fixing update is shown. Daytona at night would be a nice bonus ^_^

It better not be just GT NGP that's shown...

amar212

Metalmurphy said:
I choose all of them

Now imagine all of that integrated.

kazunori-yamauchi-sa_460x0w.jpg

Angst

gutterboy44 said:
You are all deluding yourself. New patch that reduces XP and Cr.
Seems more likely. :'(

On a related note - I did the 4 hour Ring race yesterday and got 2.900.000 XP and 430.000 something credits. Cr seemed pretty low, but the XP reward wasn't bad! Got me from mid lvl 32 to late level 33.

I remember you guys bitching about the endurance XP rewards and expected 500 k XP or something.

Angst said:

On a related note - I did the 4 hour Ring race yesterday and got 2.900.000 XP and 430.000 something credits. Cr seemed pretty low, but the XP reward wasn't bad! Got me from mid lvl 32 to late level 33.

I remember you guys bitching about the endurance XP rewards and expected 500 k XP or something.
They increased the XP for enduro in a patch. The Cr. is still a joke.

Angst said:

The 4 hour ones have adequate rewards, the problem is they don't scale properly when doing the longer ones.

I mean, if 4 hours = 2.900.000 then 24 = 17.400.000, and it's like half of that.

offshore

They shouldn't be working on a standalone TT2, just include bikes in the GT5 environment. PD need less products on the go at once, not more.

GT NGP, GT5 updates, working on GT6...possibly working TT2 as well...PD shouldn't be spreading themselves so thin. They don't need to be working on the NGP game for a start (which I'm assuming there are.) Outsource it to Bend or BigBig.

Get a big update of GT5 out, then just go full steam ahead on GT6. Zero distractions.

offshore

Metalmurphy said:
Seems to have worked so far. They're obviously listening... somewhere.
They started listening, but since then they appear to have gone backwards. Patching the glitches but not addressing the root cause why people were glitching is a primary example. Also reducing and not balancing out the credits and XP. Nor fixing/adding the most simplest things.

Although maybe this is all part of Spec II.

offshore said:
They started listening, but since then they appear to have gone backwards. Patching the glitches but not addressing the root cause why people were glitching is a primary example. Also reducing and not balancing out the credits and XP. Nor fixing/adding the most simplest things.

Although maybe this is all part of Spec II.

No one that actually cares about the game, instead of just a stupid trophy, actually complains about XP. You get everything unlocked at Lvl 20, and getting to Lvl 20 is WAY too easy.

I don't expect any changes to XP to come at all.

Dead Man

Metalmurphy said:
No one that actually cares about the game, instead of just a stupid trophy, actually complains about XP. You get everything unlocked at Lvl 20, and getting to Lvl 20 is WAY too easy.

I don't expect any changes to XP to come at all.
Or you know, people wanting to do endurance events. I know you are having very few problems with the game structure, but that doesn't mean other people aren't.

Dead Man said:
Or you know, people wanting to do endurance events. I know you are having very few problems with the game structure, but that doesn't mean other people aren't.

You couldn't be more wrong. I have huge problems with the game structure.

- Not enough A-spec events
- Not enough diversity in the events
- Not enough racing disciplines in the events.
- The initial leveling is too easy and leads to you having better cars then the events require very early on.
- Before the ballast and power limiter update it was EXTREMELY hard to have balanced and challenging races.

And many more. A-spec is easily the worst thing in GT5. Luckily the seasonals were much better, specially the earlier ones.

I just don't think that lack of XP was one of the problems.

offshore

Well whatever, the XP system had better be gone by GT6. Let's have a radically overhauled career mode with progression based on actual driving/racing skill, not some artificial, predetermined bullshit numbers.

Dead Man

Metalmurphy said:
You couldn't be more wrong. I have huge problems with the game structure.

- Not enough A-spec events
- Not enough diversity in the events
- Not enough racing disciplines in the events.
- The initial leveling is too easy and leads to you having better cars then the events require very early on.
- Before the ballast and power limiter update it was EXTREMELY hard to have balanced and challenging races.

And many more. A-spec is easily the worst thing in GT5. Luckily the seasonals were much better, specially the earlier ones.

I just don't think that lack of XP was one of the problems.
In that case why are you acting as if someone else can't have a different problem? Anyway, the game is borked at the moment, even if it is a great driving experience.

Melfice7

offshore said:
Well whatever, the XP system had better be gone by GT6. Let's have a radically overhauled career mode with progression based on actual driving/racing skill, not some artificial, predetermined bullshit numbers.

I hope GT6 has no A-Spec per say but instead hundreds of special events, with classic races and "what if" races, for example a classic Impreza vs Evo where you dont need to buy a car to participate, instead one of the cars IS the prize.

For money just make it possible to create our own championships with proper rules and have a GOOD money reward online, i mean seriously you make a game with 1000 cars and make it a chore to get them? Im not saying the same shouldn't be hard but the challenge should be on driving and racing, NOT on getting access to the content

GTP_Daverytimes said:
TT2 really needs to come no other motorbike game has toped it (Maybe only MotoGP 08)

I mean look at that realism: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maHyyeHcqt0&feature=player_embedded
Of course its still not there, quite far from it.

tt superbikes by jester topped tourist trophy, a shame the ps3 version didn't materialize.

but the inclusion of bikes in gt5 would be my number 1 request. tt is by far polyphony's best work, it just needed more than 4 riders on track.

offshore

Melfice7 said:
I hope GT6 has no A-Spec per say but instead hundreds of special events, with classic races and "what if" races, for example a classic Impreza vs Evo where you dont need to buy a car to participate, instead one of the cars IS the prize.
I feel like this as well. The Special Missions in GT4 are still my favourite thing about GT, and it was pretty disappointing they didn't make the jump to 5 and play a larger role. Special Events were alright, but their implementation was completely borked.

GT to me is at its best when Polyphony give you car, prepare it, lock the settings and then set the challenge. Because that way it is a challenge, and not a chore. And at least you know it's possible to complete it.

That's not to say that's what GT6 career should solely be about...of course you have to give people the freedom to buy their own cars, soup them up and enter races...but that should no longer be the norm, it should be the odd exception.

Far too many races in GT have placed the onus on the player to try and manufacture a competitive race, when it should be up to the game.

Dead Man

offshore said:
I feel like this as well. The Special Missions in GT4 are still my favourite thing about GT, and it was pretty disappointing they didn't make the jump to 5 and play a larger role. Special Events were alright, but their implementation was completely borked.

GT to me is at its best when Polyphony give you car, prepare it, lock the settings and then set the challenge. Because that way it is a challenge, and not a chore. And at least you know it's possible to complete it.

That's not to say that's what GT6 career should solely be about...of course you have to give people the freedom to buy their own cars, soup them up and enter races...but that should no longer be the norm, it should be the odd exception.

Far too many races in GT have placed the onus on the player to try and manufacture a competitive race, when it should be up to the game.
GT without car setup is not GT. I think the missions type events are good, but the focus should always be on racing. You are right that the player should not be having to try to make competitive racing, but that can be done with better game design. Even something as simple as a difficulty slider would do it.

offshore

Dead Man said:
GT without car setup is not GT. I think the missions type events are good, but the focus should always be on racing. You are right that the player should not be having to try to make competitive racing, but that can be done with better game design. Even something as simple as a difficulty slider would do it.
Yeah like I said, you can't remove tuning/setting up from the game. Everybody enjoys buying car X and tuning and setting it up, and that's why I clamour for a livery editor, to take it to the next level of personalisation.

My point was more about how tuning and setup for races in GT games so far have been a complete joke, and getting a competitive challenge currently only comes for the special events/missions/license tests. In normal races, it's the age old case of car too slow? Whack a turbo on it. No grip? Buy super soft tyres.

There's currently very little reason for anyone to really dive in to some of the more intricate tuning options that GT provides. And that could be one of the things that GT could do a better job of doing, explaining how to better prepare a car, without resorting to stage 3 turbo's and super soft tyres.

Dead Man

offshore said:
Yeah like I said, you can't remove tuning/setting up from the game. Everybody enjoys buying car X and tuning and setting it up, and that's why I clamour for a livery editor, to take it to the next level of personalisation.

My point was more about how tuning and setup for races in GT games so far have been a complete joke, and getting a competitive challenge currently only comes for the special events/missions/license tests. In normal races, it's the age old case of car too slow? Whack a turbo on it. No grip? Buy super soft tyres.

There's currently very little reason for anyone to really dive in to some of the more intricate tuning options that GT provides. And that could be one of the things that GT could do a better job of doing, explaining how to better prepare a car, without resorting to stage 3 turbo's and super soft tyres.
Yeah, true enough. One of my favourite things in any GT game is taking a car, changing only the suspension, and competing with cars that are much faster in a straight line. Suspension tuning is so rewarding, I do wish there was more need or even explanation of it in the game. This is where something like a create a championship mode could be amazing, select a power to weight ratio limit, and then set a difficulty level for how fast the other cars will be (assuming there was decent AI that does not cheat!).

offshore

Dead Man said:
Suspension tuning is so rewarding, I do wish there was more need or even explanation of it in the game.
Suspension tuning is probably the main one that goes ignored because yeah, there's little reason to delve in to it, as well as no real explaination as to how to better prepare it, like you say.

Explaining tuning and setting up wouldn't have to be tedious. I'm sure there are plenty of things PD could do to really engage and educate those who are willing to learn how to better tune and setup their car.

offshore said:
Suspension tuning is probably the main one that goes ignored because yeah, there's little reason to delve in to it, as well as no real explaination as to how to better prepare it, like you say.
Are there any really good guides online for suspension tuning? I think I'm a pretty good driver in the game, but playing online is frustrating sometimes because I'm racing guys who have obviously tuned their suspensions pretty well because I'm losing it in the corners. I was in a 16 player lounge driving stock cars on the Indy oval and wasn't having much fun until the room leader shared his setup. It completely changed my race (and a few others') to the point where the guy joked that he needed to stop sharing suspension setups because people using them are beating him.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
tt superbikes by jester topped tourist trophy, a shame the ps3 version didn't materialize.

but the inclusion of bikes in gt5 would be my number 1 request. tt is by far polyphony's best work, it just needed more than 4 riders on track.

TT Superbikes was fast paced and a tad bit unrealistic. Visual wise it also lost to TT but it was a great game. ( i would love for PD to include isle of man)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
offshore said:

Amen.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
I found this video on youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXBellU3QdY and it just hit me. PD really are just stupid. Look at that camera shake, it seems so realistic (btw thats a replay cam) why couldn't they include this kind of camera on premium cars (the ones that are employed are rather static they don't move that realistic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFFRm3dl-Hc

They're not static at all, they don't shake like NFS SHIFT though... and that's a good thing.

Am not talking about gameplay (The shake in cockpit for gameplay is adequate). Am talking about replay, the angle that was in the GT4 video was a replay angle that are present in very few cars in GT5

Top Bottom