• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

So what would you guys want in Spec II?

I wish they would do the 1988 M3 (E30). Maybe they can include the new Lambo Aventador

0-60 in 2.9 sec :O

S. L.

RoaringHawk said:
premium
audi-sport-quattro-s1-cnfv.jpg

offshore said:
How much time have you got? :lol
Now imagine if PD asked this question.

S. L. said:
premium
http://www.abload.de/img/audi-sport-quattro-s1-cnfv.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=-Amon-][B]Premium Group B Rally Cars[/B], premium Catheram. Premium Old ETCC Cars.

Point to point track builder.[/QUOTE]

That would be epic!

Bringing back Grand Canyon, with maybe a new Rally location.

How big are these updates in total for a first time player? The first is 600mb and that's 1 of 5.

I wanted to play it tonight but if it adds up to a few gig it will fuck up my bandwidth cap. Eurgh, I just want to play the damn game :(

Foliorum Viridum said:
How big are these updates in total for a first time player? The first is 600mb and that's 1 of 5.

I wanted to play it tonight but if it adds up to a few gig it will fuck up my bandwidth cap. Eurgh, I just want to play the damn game :(

First is the biggest one, the other ones are around 100mb, and 2 of them are 30mb.

Although... if it only has 5 now they probably merged a few of them, we've had 9 updates so far.

Alright, I'll let the first one go and see how it is then. :)

I know it's cool that games get such updates and everything but in cases like this it's a bit of a pain.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Alright, I'll let the first one go and see how it is then. :)

I know it's cool that games get such updates and everything but in cases like this it's a bit of a pain.

Most stuff, not all, is for online and you won't be able to use. Stuff like the Online Dealership, Seasonal Events, etc. So maybe you're better off just skipping it and doing them later. But there's also alot of small fixes that greatly improve the SP experience.

Here's some of the stuff that was added (old list has some mistakes and missing stuff):

- Scratch textures bug has been fixed.
- You can change cameras during online replays/spectate (still no cockpit)
- In photomode you can zoom and drag a picture before saving it
- Shuffle races freeze bug has been fixed
- Improved shadows?
- Headlights bug on Tuscana track have been fixed
- Tire wear differences between hard/medium/soft has been changed.
- McLaren F1 gauges have been fixed.
- “Special event > Grand Tour > Alpha @ Eiger: The game now shows, and saves split times.”
- Buying new cars is faster
- You can easily choose tires in Tunning/settings menu.
- More color variations in the UCD
- AA changed in 1080p mode?
- TV camera when entering pits
- Multi-monitor support
- “camber” setting in the course creator
- Restart race has a confirm menu
- Power limiter on the tunning menu (FUCK YES!)
- Notification for already purchased cars in the dealership
- Increased XP for races
- Stick sensitivity option
- Individual gear ratios
- U can choose diferent tires for front n read
- LP points
- Online dealership has more cars
- New filters in the online lobbies (race fo real/fun/drift)
- YOU CAN USE THE COURSE MAKER TRACKS ONLINE!!!
- Seasonal events with new created tracks.
- Weight adjustment (front/rear)
- Remote Race icon below the lounge icon
- new pre-gtlife cutscenes?
- fuel depletion and tyre ware can be turned off in online more
- Races can be scheduled to start at a specific time

The reason I didn't buy the game at launch and waited for it to be cheap was to get the benefit of the updates, because it sounds much less frustrating and a better game now :)

Metalmurphy said:
So... nothing changed?
Wait. Maybe there's some miscommunication going on here.

I bought the game at launch and I don't know about 1.0, but after installing the 1.01 launch patch, the game had standing starts in A-Spec and everywhere else. PD accidentally(?) removed the standing starts with one of the patches (1.7 I think) and now every single race has rolling starts instead.

So ... nothing changed?

brotkasten said:

I bought the game at launch and I don't know about 1.0, but after installing the 1.01 launch patch, the game had standing starts in A-Spec and everywhere else. PD accidentally(?) removed the standing starts with one of the patches (1.7 I think) and now every single race has rolling starts instead.

So ... nothing changed?

IIRC "some" events were changed to standing starts in 1.05 and changed back to rolling starts on 1.06.

brotkasten said:
You're saying there were no standing starts before 1.05?

I was under the impression that there were, but only for some events. I was gonna delete my gamedata to confirm with 1.00 but I remembered that also deletes replays and photos.

But I just loaded my oldest replay, from 1.01, and it's a standing start on an event that has a rolling one now.

Mush

Foliorum Viridum said:
The reason I didn't buy the game at launch and waited for it to be cheap was to get the benefit of the updates, because it sounds much less frustrating and a better game now :)
JOIN OUR SUPER GT LEAGUE/NRL KTHXBI

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
RoaringHawk said:

Cockpit view for Mitsubishi Eclipse '95 and '05. ;____;

All I want, damn it. I'm not asking for premium, just a cockpit view for them.

Dead Man

brotkasten said:

So ... nothing changed?
Yeah. I think this is what happened. I just want my standing starts back. Or even better, the option to choose.

Metalmurphy said:
I was under the impression that there were, but only for some events. I was gonna delete my gamedata to confirm with 1.00 but I remembered that also deletes replays and photos.

But I just loaded my oldest replay, from 1.01, and it's a standing start on an event that has a rolling one now.
To be honest, I don't remember any rolling starts in early A-Spec events. The only rolling starts I remember were the Indy special events and the Top Gear special event.

But now that you mention it, deleting the gamedata will definitely not delete your save game and you can just continue to play the 1.0 game with your old progress, is that correct?

brotkasten said:
To be honest, I don't remember any rolling starts in early A-Spec events. The only rolling starts I remember were the Indy special events and the Top Gear special event.

But now that you mention it, deleting the gamedata will definitely not delete your save game and you can just continue to play the 1.0 game with your old progress, is that correct?
Photos and replays are saved on the GameData section (same as updates and DLC) and not the SaveData. Otherwise your save would be huge.

I Had the funnest race today with the A.I. I took my slightly tuned Honda CR-Z to Nurburgring 24h. I detuned it, removed down-force, added comfort softs, and was ready to roll. I placed second in a 2 lap race in Nurburgring 24h, i never crashed and throughout the first lap i was having side by side action with the A.I. (My first lap was 13.08, so its a long lap but believe me it worth it). By the end of the race i was 6 seconds behind first place, i recommend you guys try out this race. (Try it in dry weather since the A.I is unbearably slow in wet conditions)

(Who said you cant have fun with the A.I)

offshore

Risk Breaker said:
I want tracks tracks tracks!
I'd say it's highly unlikely we'll get tracks...certainly not iconic real life ones. That just negates the reason to buy GT6 when it [should] come with those tracks included.

offshore said:
I'd say it's highly unlikely we'll get tracks...certainly not iconic real life ones. That just negates the reason to buy GT6 when it [should] come with those tracks included.

Unless Spec II is a payed expansion.

offshore said:

Yeah, you're very right... At least we could perhaps maybe possibly get some rehash of the GT4 fantasy tracks. That would be good enough (of course I'm thinking about free content). It's for the best really, I mean it'll be priceless to see the hype train full speed when Spa with full weather and time conditions gets unveiled for GT6 ;D

offshore

I certainly hope some GT4 fantasy tracks are made available...desperately want Midfield and Tahiti Maze. It's just puzzling why they weren't all inlcuded in the first place.

Spec II could be a paid download if PD went the premium car/track route, but what I think Spec II will be is a massive update that corrects and fixes lot of problems, with some new functionality build in, rather than being a large content update with premium cars and premium tracks.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Anyone know how can export a replay from my PS3 (GT5 replay of my epic ring race). I dont have any of those recorders or whatever they are called.
If you mean, export to video file. You can't without one of those "recorders or whatever they are called." (Capture cards).

You can only export game files to be viewed in GT5.

Right I've been playing for about 3 hours now. I'm lvl 20 in A-spec, doing mainly the A-Spec races and some of the special events.

First of all, the presentation of this game is horrible.

- For the "real driving simulator" this game just doesn't look very good. If it came out 2 or 3 years ago, then cool, but now? It's just pretty ugly. So much of the environment is completely distracting and, despite a few things looking nice, overall it's just completely bland and underwhelming. The previews/reviews that praised the graphics are quite laughable.
- Blurry as shit buildings in rear view mirror.
- Quite bad screen tearing.
- Horrible shadow aliasing in interior view.
- Standard cars really don't look that good and the lack of an interior view for them is annoying because that's how I like to play.
- The menu design is really clunky and sometimes confusing, especially when trying to buy a car.
- The on-screen UI is horrible, and it's good that you can turn it off, but there should be more options to customise it.
- The load time for getting in to races is really long and even the small loading between result screens etc etc is annoying.
- There is a horrible sense of speed in the game. With the early races, even when driving at 80mph, it feels like you're going walking speed. Yes, 80mph is slow in racing terms, but in reality it feels fast. By forcing you to do so many of the early races at this speed it really highlights how they need to find a way to capture how 80mph feels fast.

With that said, the driving at the core is really good. I especially love the special challenges, because I would say the karting/Nascar/rally has been where I've had the most fun thus far. Probably because I'm driving better/faster cars there then in the main A-Spec leagues, but still! A bit of variety is nice and they nailed it.

Obviously this game has an overwhelming amount of content and I know that I'm going to waste so many hours of my life going through it all (hopefully I won't have to do much grinding for money/XP because it will lose me then), but I am really sad that the game that should be the definitive racing game of the gen fails so horribly when it comes to the presentation.

offshore

Your opinion is pretty much the same as everyone else's, Foliorum. The core driving is brilliant. Everything else...meh.

But I wouldn't say the game doesn't look very good. The problem is consistency, especially the lighting. The Ring seems to have really realistic (and great looking) lighting, but other tracks suffer from this horrible saturated sunshine look. It's really weird.

I mean, after three hours I'm already sick of going to an event, not having an eligible car, looking at the list of cars you can use, memorising the name of the best two, going back out of the menu, waiting, loading up the car menu, finding the right type, seeing if I can afford it, buying it, using it, backing out, going back to that race menu, selecting the race, go through that long loading screen and FINALLY get into the race.

Why not have a "buy a car" option at the race menu where they list only the cars you can use for that event and you can buy one in one click?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If you hate it this much, stop while you're ahead: Take the game back to Gamestop, and sell it.

What's a good car for the American championship in the Extreme Series? I don't want to drive a Vette. Give me something else! No standard cars, please.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Right I've been playing for about 3 hours now. I'm lvl 20 in A-spec, doing mainly the A-Spec races and some of the special events.

First of all, the presentation of this game is horrible.

- For the "real driving simulator" this game just doesn't look very good. If it came out 2 or 3 years ago, then cool, but now? It's just pretty ugly. So much of the environment is completely distracting and, despite a few things looking nice, overall it's just completely bland and underwhelming. The previews/reviews that praised the graphics are quite laughable.
- Blurry as shit buildings in rear view mirror.
- Quite bad screen tearing.
- Horrible shadow aliasing in interior view.
- Standard cars really don't look that good and the lack of an interior view for them is annoying because that's how I like to play.
- The menu design is really clunky and sometimes confusing, especially when trying to buy a car.
- The on-screen UI is horrible, and it's good that you can turn it off, but there should be more options to customise it.
- The load time for getting in to races is really long and even the small loading between result screens etc etc is annoying.
- There is a horrible sense of speed in the game. With the early races, even when driving at 80mph, it feels like you're going walking speed. Yes, 80mph is slow in racing terms, but in reality it feels fast. By forcing you to do so many of the early races at this speed it really highlights how they need to find a way to capture how 80mph feels fast.

With that said, the driving at the core is really good. I especially love the special challenges, because I would say the karting/Nascar/rally has been where I've had the most fun thus far. Probably because I'm driving better/faster cars there then in the main A-Spec leagues, but still! A bit of variety is nice and they nailed it.

Obviously this game has an overwhelming amount of content and I know that I'm going to waste so many hours of my life going through it all (hopefully I won't have to do much grinding for money/XP because it will lose me then), but I am really sad that the game that should be the definitive racing game of the gen fails so horribly when it comes to the presentation.

Bwahahaha! You are already dead, buddy! :lol

I say it looks ugly, but to be fair I am judging it by high end PC standards. I spent the last year playing F1 2010 in DX 11.

So, admittedly, my assessment of the graphics isn't that fair. For a console game, it looks good. But my standards are much higher these days and nothing about GT5 looks especially good to me.

I would say that's why Polyphony need to start focus on next gen now, but knowing their dev time their game would come out too late in the lifespan of that generation too...

brotkasten said:
What's a good car for the American championship in the Extreme Series? I don't want to drive a Vette. Give me something else! No standard cars, please.

FordGT

Foliorum Viridum said:
I say it looks ugly, but to be fair I am judging it by high end PC standards. I spent the last year playing F1 2010 in DX 11.

So, admittedly, my assessment of the graphics isn't that fair. For a console game, it looks good. But my standards are much higher these days and nothing about GT5 looks especially good to me.
Well duh :p

GT5 suffers from very low rez self shadowing, and shimmering on edges, which is weird cause it doesn't have any jaggies you'd see from lack of AA, there's just alot of shimmering aruond the edges of the cars. Might have something to do with the insane amount of polys in them. It's also worth noting that some tracks are from GT4 with very little work done to them, apart from that I think GT5 looks gorgeous.

No HUD + Day/Night cycle + premium cockpit = greatest racing experience yet.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I would say that's why Polyphony need to start focus on next gen now, but knowing their dev time their game would come out too late in the lifespan of that generation too...
They're already doing stuff thinking in PS4. For example, cars are modeled with more detail then they're used on GT5. New engine will probably be re-used as well. I don't think it'll take as long.

I've had a night race, which definitely looked better. Haven't had a night cycle yet. Look forward to that.

I'm really dubious anything will be more intense than F1 2010, in the cockpit, in the rain, with no HUD. Now that's immersion :p

The GT Tour - Toscana Tarmac event is a great one, but besides that you'll have to wait for PSN to be on. There's no actual day/night cycle events in SP.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Oh, that's lame. :\ I didn't really plan taking this game online that much.
That's where the real fun is at.

Btw, there ARE day/night cycles, but only on the 24 real hour endurance races... which unlock after you finish all the A-spec events... yeah...

Eh, I just need to be really invested in a racing game and have a lot of friends to play with online. I'm sure it's good, but it just doesn't have that community for me!

offshore

Metalmurphy said:
Btw, there ARE day/night cycles, but only on the 24 real hour endurance races... yeah...
Don't forget you can also set your own day/night time transitions along with weather. All you have to do is jump on PSN....oh wait...

Seriously, not patching the day/night/weather settings for offline is so fucking dumb it's not even funny.

Top Bottom