• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

ashk

You can get the day/night cycle in Practice. But you can't choose time of day or fix the weather like you can in an online lobby. Or enable tyre wear and fuel depletion. WTF were they thinking :/

ashk said:
You can get the day/night cycle in Practice. But you can't choose time of day or fix the weather like you can in an online lobby. Or enable tyre wear and fuel depletion. WTF were they thinking :/
And you can't set the speed. I think its 1:1 during practice which makes it kinda pointless.

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
And you can't set the speed. I think its 1:1 during practice which makes it kinda pointless.
I actually prefer using 1:1 as opposed to the mega fast speed everyone uses online. Upping it to 5 or 10 works though.

I decided to use my Mach 1 for the American championship. I can't win the Indy race, because the Mach 1 won't make high speed turns, but I won the Laguna Seca race. It was a pretty close race, not too easy. Mostly because the handling of my Mach 1 really sucks. :lol Guess I'll have to buy a Ford GT anyway.

So, whilst I think the idea of managing a driver is pretty lame and I would prefer more premium cars/tracks/better UI... it does seem like a fairly good way to get money when you're doing something else. If it starts to become too much work I'll stop, but until then!

Foliorum Viridum said:
So, whilst I think the idea of managing a driver is pretty lame and I would prefer more premium cars/tracks/better UI... it does seem like a fairly good way to get money when you're doing something else. If it starts to become too much work I'll stop, but until then!
If you don't get your driver an insanely fast car, prepare to get frustrated. A lot.

We had this great B-Spec Bob meme, when the thread was still alive.

I only found small pictures, but you get the idea.

xR9To.jpg
31N1I.jpg

QCBx4.jpg
hsB3e.jpg

offshore

Foliorum Viridum said:
You guys are realllyyy selling me on this game. :p
There's nothing positive to say about B-Spec.

B-Spec is one of the most pointless features ever to hit GT, and it pretty much encompasses everything that's wrong about where PD's priorities lie.

offshore

B-Spec would be an interesting addition if more important features were already included in the game, and in the case of some other features, vastly improved upon...but they aren't.

The fact they worked on finishing B-Spec and Remote Racing, but not fixing many, many elements of the broken game design either before or after shipping is a sad indictment of where PD's priorities currently lie.

I really think GT4 had a great B-Spec mode. You could use it when you pit to change tires or add fuel. I used it extensively in endurance races, where I would pit when I get tired and make B-Spec bob drive for a while.

Also, it had fast-forward so that you don't have to wait in real-time for the race to finish.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Foliorum Viridum said:
You guys are realllyyy selling me on this game. :p

Again, if you don't like it: Quit while you're ahead. Go and sell the game. Don't be like the rest of us and disappointed about spending $60 and getting a subpar product after five years of waiting.

TheSeks said:
Again, if you don't like it: Quit while you're ahead. Go and sell the game. Don't be like the rest of us and disappointed about spending $60 and getting a subpar product after five years of waiting.
Speak for yourself.

You're just pissed that you can't get an easy platinum :p

TheSeks said:
Yeah, it's annoying to be told once to sell a game, twice is really annoying.

Clearly you're bitter, no need to project that on to me.

I'm making my way through the game for the first time as well. Up to level 20 in A-Spec and B-Spec. I've been pacing myself and am generally enjoying the game, though Foliorum Viridum brings up some legitimate design issues. PD would certainly do well to hire a proper game/UI designer.

Quick question: Is there an event where you are gifted the Group C Minolta Toyota? Incompetent B-Spec Bob needs an idiot-proof grindmobile so I can get me some Super GTs and LMPs. Going off the stats, my ZR1 RM should be wiping the floor with the AI, but Bob can't seem to get a win in the harder events without my handholding.

The incredible premium cars have spoiled me terribly-- to the extent that I refuse to drive a standard car, even though I know I'm missing out on a wealth of interesting vehicles. I might break eventually, (those Zondas beckon me...), but I have to wonder why PD bothered to lavish a goddamn Samba Bus with the premium treatment when epic Group C racers are relegated to PS2-era representations.

Finally, major props to PD for the photomode implementation. It really is the best one out there, although the inability to take shots during a race is a disappointment. Has this been addressed in a recent patch I might have missed?

I hate the AI in this game. Not only it acts like an asshole, no, it's also so damn slow. I did that DTM championship and even with an unmodified DTM Astra, the AI had no chance. Am I missing an option for the difficulty?

And damn, i swear, racing soft tires are hax. I finally started my first endurance race. Grand Valley, 60 laps, full of awesomeness. I'm using the AE86 S.S. Edition with 217 bhp and racing softs. I think that's half the bhp of my competitors or at least the best of them. Turns out it was a time trial event. After 8 laps I changed back to hard sports tires to see what they were like and if I could compete. No chance. I was much slower (almost 10 sec I think), went from first place to 8th and then I spun few times, due to the lack of grip and me not changing the driving style. At round 11 I was on the last place, almost a minute and a half behind the leading driver. Changed back to RS, 17 laps later I was only a sec behind. As I said a while ago, RS are like a cheat.

Oh, and does the AI ever pit? I'm 32 laps in and I need to change my tires, but I wanna wait until the AI is catching up I stead of letting me widen the gap even further. I'm 12 secs slower than my best time, but I still gain two seconds per lap. This is really too easy.

Metalmurphy said:
Speak for yourself.

GT5 just might be the longest game to platinum on the PS3, i will be surprised if a thousand people have actually platinum'ed the game. My friends who are platinum junkies gave up at around march this year (Too much work).

Dead Man

RoaringHawk said:
I really think GT4 had a great B-Spec mode. You could use it when you pit to change tires or add fuel. I used it extensively in endurance races, where I would pit when I get tired and make B-Spec bob drive for a while.

Also, it had fast-forward so that you don't have to wait in real-time for the race to finish.
Yeah, I can't see what they were thinking taking out the ability to swap in and out of B Spec for endurance races, and removing ffwd. It makes no sense. There is no circuit race in the world where 1 driver drives for 24 hours, it's stupid.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Metalmurphy said:

Yes, yes, I am. Damn the special events and damn the license tests. Otherwise I'd have all gold easy. All the other stuff is just time consuming to get.

Clearly you're bitter, no need to project that on to me.

You're pretty much retreading EVERYTHING that has been stated in the six months since GT5 released, dude. Yes, the graphics suck. Yes it tears like it's going out of style. Yes, the loading sucks. Yes, we know.

Can't deal with it, stop while you're ahead and sell it. Otherwise deal with it. Complaining about it isn't really going to change at this point given Kaz apparently doesn't care. Hopefully "spec-2" that's rumored to happen (haha, fat chance) will improve the game. But I extremely doubt it.

I'm allowed to state my opinion and I've said I enjoy playing the game. I'm sure these things have been said before in the 50,000 posts that have accumulated over the GT5 threads, but that doesn't mean that it's pointless for me to post my impressions, especially since I haven't read those impressions and I'm interested to see if others feel the same way.

The way in which you feel you can dictate not only what I post, but what I do with a game I own as if you can judge whether or not I should keep playing is patronising and frustrating. You're one post away from being put on ignore.

Kaze13

You know what i love about this game? The real sense of personal progression in skill. I remember hating the license test in the first few games. I would get bronzes and be satisfied. Then I got clued in. Then I realized that putting pedal to the floor was not the fastest way around. I was ecstatic to get silvers. Then I learned about this thing called the brake pedal. Got more silvers. As time went on, my skill level plateaued. I was happy that I got some golds. GT4 came along and I wanted golds. So I sought to improve here and there. It wasn't until this game that I realized the important bits. I honed my skills. It got serious. I was very good at driving. Or so I thought.

Where am I getting at? Even at "very good" levels of self delusion, I could only muster 40/60 golds in GT5. Try as I could, I couldn't get any more. I excelled at the full course tests and the ones where it had you battle with other cars. I knew I was very good at those. That was close to the release date. Fast forward to now. As in today. Obviously, no PSN. So, what am I to do? License test of course. In one day. In two hours. I am currently at 58/60 golds. I feel good. I feel like I passed those almost too easily. What seemed impossible then, only a few months ago, was cake walk easy. No frustrations. Only two test remain. The slalom and the last rally test.

Feels good man.

Same thing happened to me, but I'm sure the actual game didn't have anything to do with it. Besides the great physics ofc. It was all the online racing in the NRL and SuperGT leagues that made me a better driver.

ashk

Metalmurphy said:
P4/5 Competizione's on the ring catches fire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhTFh6NQJVs&hd=1

Car has GT5 sponsorship so it'll most likely be a future premium. Thankfully it can't catch fire there lol

They're not the sponsor of just that particular car, they're sponsors of the whole league it's racing in (VLN); every car in the races has that strip on the windshield so I don't think it's especially likely to show up in GT5.

ashk said:
They're not the sponsor of just that particular car, they're sponsors of the whole league it's racing in (VLN); every car in the races has that strip on the windshield so I don't think it's especially likely to show up in GT5.

Ahhh in that case yeah, not likely. But every almost every car that has been sponsored by GT ended up in the game, but if it's the whole league... not likely. Didn't notice all cars had it.

Kaze13

Metalmurphy said:
Same thing happened to me, but I'm sure the actual game didn't have anything to do with it. Besides the great physics ofc. It was all the online racing in the NRL and SuperGT leagues that made me a better driver.

See here's the thing, I noticed that those license test that I couldn't get gold in had a particularly advanced skill in mind for me to use. I do agree that the NRL races helped me tremendously. Sad face at the PSN being down.

All 18 golds were fairly easy to get yesterday but the one that really gave me trouble was teh chicane test at Indy. Besides that, the rally ones were fairly annoying only because I couldn't use the G27.

Cant wait for more NRL. I have Saturday swing shift so I'm available to race. Booyah!

brentech

I used DS3 for off road and rally type events. Just felt easier and I don't like the crazy shake of the wheel. Kind of like when we did the FGT event and MM said his wheel was smoking at the end...

S. L.

brentech said:
I used DS3 for off road and rally type events. Just felt easier and I don't like the crazy shake of the wheel. Kind of like when we did the FGT event and MM said his wheel was smoking at the end...
i just looove the wheel for rally stuff. feels incredibly immersive and is great for long corner drifts

Please stop talking about rally. I just turned my PS3 off, because I couldn't gold the ib-7 licensing test. 19.561 ... I'm really not good at rally. :lol

ashk

Metalmurphy said:
Ahhh in that case yeah, not likely. But every almost every car that has been sponsored by GT ended up in the game, but if it's the whole league... not likely. Didn't notice all cars had it.

Most of the cars racing there are in the game anyway (the production versions at least), they might add the few that are missing :) like Porsche :(

The 4h and 24h of Nurburgring are part of the VLN series, so you might say that the league is practically in the game :p

Kaze13 said:
See here's the thing, I noticed that those license test that I couldn't get gold in had a particularly advanced skill in mind for me to use. I do agree that the NRL races helped me tremendously. Sad face at the PSN being down.

All 18 golds were fairly easy to get yesterday but the one that really gave me trouble was teh chicane test at Indy. Besides that, the rally ones were fairly annoying only because I couldn't use the G27.

Cant wait for more NRL. I have Saturday swing shift so I'm available to race. Booyah!

LOL, same as me then. That's the only one I haven't golded yet. Not trying it again any time soon either. Don't wanna brake my G25 outta rage.

brotkasten said:
Please stop talking about rally. I just turned my PS3 off, because I couldn't gold the ib-7 licensing test. 19.561 ... I'm really not good at rally. :lol
Go slower than you think you need to go through corners until the car straightens out. Quarter throttle stuff; just enough to keep the car from sliding because the wheels are spinning, negating the acceleration, but not so little that you aren't maintaining speed.

I started getting golds with a half second to spare and destroying the rally special events once I figured out slow is fast, especially if you can nail the exit of a corner before a long straight. That's important in any race, but GT5's expectations for rally and snow event times amplifies this. There are a couple of events that are pretty tough, but I think most of the times are fairly lenient. I loved rally in GT3, GT4's felt completely broken, but GT5's is better again. I don't think it's as good as GT3's, but I tend to enjoy myself a lot more now compared to the frustration I had with GT4. (I'm a G25 player.)

I guess if I can offer any reasonable advice regarding rally, take the first run through slowly, then gradually go faster and faster as you race your ghost, keeping it behind you. If you're going too fast, your ghost will be on the inside of the corner. If you're faster than you were, you'll probably be on the inside of your ghost.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I really want a massive update for GT5. Specifically the tracks.

Don't disappoint me PD. E3 is almost here. PSN is a few days from being live.

Adelor Lyon said:
Go slower than you think you need to go through corners until the car straightens out. Quarter throttle stuff; just enough to keep the car from sliding because the wheels are spinning, negating the acceleration, but not so little that you aren't maintaining speed.

I started getting golds with a half second to spare and destroying the rally special events once I figured out slow is fast, especially if you can nail the exit of a corner before a long straight. That's important in any race, but GT5's expectations for rally and snow event times amplifies this. There are a couple of events that are pretty tough, but I think most of the times are fairly lenient. I loved rally in GT3, GT4's felt completely broken, but GT5's is better again. I don't think it's as good as GT3's, but I tend to enjoy myself a lot more now compared to the frustration I had with GT4. (I'm a G25 player.)

I guess if I can offer any reasonable advice regarding rally, take the first run through slowly, then gradually go faster and faster as you race your ghost, keeping it behind you. If you're going too fast, your ghost will be on the inside of the corner. If you're faster than you were, you'll probably be on the inside of your ghost.
I did it! Thank you! :D 0:19.360 is good enough for me.

S. L.

Metalmurphy said:
LOL, same as me then. That's the only one I haven't golded yet. Not trying it again any time soon either. Don't wanna brake my G25 outta rage.
tell me the secret for the IB3 slalom and i'll tell you the secret for the indy corner :p

S. L. said:
tell me the secret for the IB3 slalom and i'll tell you the secret for the indy corner :p
Flat out till the 4th or 5th set of cones, then its all just throttle control on the next ones, and again flat out on the last one, and ofc, never brake. Not really sure what else to say lol.

I could record a video but I'm sure there's plenty of those on youtube already.

Spaceman Spiff said:
The incredible premium cars have spoiled me terribly-- to the extent that I refuse to drive a standard car, even though I know I'm missing out on a wealth of interesting vehicles. I might break eventually, (those Zondas beckon me...)

I have not driven a single standard car either except for the ones you're forced to use (another puzzling PD decision among dozens); limits the car list quite a bit, obviously, but there's still a good deal of options if you want to stick with them. Wanted to mention: you'll win a premium Zonda eventually. :)

RankoSD

Metalmurphy said:
Flat out till the 4th or 5th set of cones, then its all just throttle control on the next ones, and again flat out on the last one, and ofc, never brake.

Mind you I did use the brake but never lift off the gas pedal and I was quicker almost half a second from the gold time, there's just different ways to do it, it's throttle control or full throttle with brakes here and there, easiest one was with brakes for me...

S. L.

RankoSD said:
Mind you I did use the brake but never lift off the gas pedal and I was quicker almost half a second from the gold time, there's just different ways to do it, it's throttle control or full throttle with brakes here and there, easiest one was with brakes for me...
wow that was incredibly good advise.
dealing with the understeer in slalom is sooo much better than oversteer

GOLD BITCHES!

NEOPARADIGM said:
I have not driven a single standard car either except for the ones you're forced to use (another puzzling PD decision among dozens); limits the car list quite a bit, obviously, but there's still a good deal of options if you want to stick with them. Wanted to mention: you'll win a premium Zonda eventually. :)

Ha, I just won the Zonda R in the GT World Championship (it was actually the next car I was saving up for). Such an epic machine. Don't know how I missed it, but I'll refer to GTP's prize car list from now on so as to not accidentally buy a car I'm going to win anyway.

I mostly prefer to drive the supercars and race cars in games, so the selection of premium cars caters to my interests rather well (besides the aforementioned lack of Zondas and Group C/LMP racers). Cockpit view with no HUD is how I race, and given the incredible amounts of detail PD lavished upon the premiums, I stubbornly refuse to settle for the, in my opinion, inferior, standard cars.

I'm about to head into the endurance races and I honestly can't wait. Le Mans at night, in the rain, from the cockpit of a 908 is going to be fucking epic. There are a lot of genuine complaints to be made, but when this game is on, it's on. Love it.

offshore

AlphaSnake said:
I really want a massive update for GT5
I've already fallen into the trap of convincing myself that they'll be a big update shown...so anything less and I'm going to be disappointed :lol

I'm not sure about a massive content update though...I just don't see it happening. That just negates the reason to buy GT6 when that content will be included then. I'll be happy with a massive boatload of fixes, quickers menus/shortcuts, fixes to the broken paint chip system, broken AI, brok- yeah, we all know what needs fixing :lol

offshore said:
I've already fallen into the trap of convincing myself that they'll be a big update shown...so anything less and I'm going to be disappointed :lol

Yeah, I have the same problem. :/ Spec II at E3 needs to happen. And yes, that includes new content like cars premium or (PS2) tracks. After so much pre-release hype it's hard to believe that this is all we got. The foundation is so impressive ...

S. L.

one gold license remains!
IC-10 rome race with that Ferrari, which i absolutely dislike.
fairly twitchy under breaking and not a whole lot of downforce :|
oh well, tomorrow... grrr

brentech

Back when I was doing them in order, I got stuck on IC10 for a day or two. Takes some getting used to, but I ended up using DS3 instead of a wheel for it. You'll basically overtake to 4th/3rd on the back straight. Then it's just a matter of keeping your speed and not making any mistakes.

It's probably the one of the two/three toughest races in the game.

Top Bottom