• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

offshore

amar212 said:
Also, recent discovery highlighted existence of some *old-school* track logos on official part of GT web related to Remote Races, as delivered on GTPlanet:
http://www.gtplanet.net/24-new-track-logos-discovered-on-gran-turismo-5-website/
I can certainly see GT classic tracks being released as DLC or for free. It's just real life, iconic tracks I don't see happening.

And to be honest I'd probably rather have the GT classic tracks back. Miss my Midfield :(

S. L.

gah, two tenths away from my first vettel gold (monza)
i can do the laps, just need to manage two in a row :D

the trickiest part is to not forget breathing.

also those quick and hard corners sure make my dfpgt scream lol

Right now, i´m just waiting for the godamm leaderboards, just like Prologue had.

That´s the realistic expectation.

GT4 track ports wouldn´t hurt either. I love me some Seattle and Motegi.

KingDizzi

Banned
seattle6418 said:
Right now, i´m just waiting for the godamm leaderboards, just like Prologue had.

That´s the realistic expectation.

GT4 track ports wouldn´t hurt either. I love me some Seattle and Motegi.
I'd love to know what has held up leader boards for so long, its been half a year since the game and no sign, I've been done with this game for a long time now but just keep it in hope that we will see leaderboards some day. I've moved past that though, it's time for me to wait until GT NGP is announced, by that next month or a few years time! If that does not turn out to be a gimped game then I'm very happy.

You'll never get leader boards until they can force cars to a specific performace, and that includes engine break in, and even with that i doubt it could happen. GT5 doesn't have 75 cars and 3 tire combinations.

brentech

Metalmurphy said:
You'll never get leader boards until they can force cars to a specific performace, and that includes engine break in, and even with that i doubt it could happen. GT5 doesn't have 75 cars and 3 tire combinations.
That leads into needing a factory tune for each car. Then the leader boards could work off of that and only that. Pretty much the only realistic way to get it done in my opinion.

Dibbz

I think MM has a point. I guess this is why the introduced leader boards for specific events with strict rules in the seasonals because there are way too many variables for every car on every track to even compare times.

How would they set it up? Leader boards per track? Would be pointless since it would be topped by X2010's followed by F10 etc.

I actually just booted GT5 Prologue, (It updates alot faster now lol) and they don't even take into consideration the tires, only the Standard and Professional physics.

So that's 75x2 entries. As opposed to 1030x2 (skid recovery on or off)x9 (tire combinations). + The problem I already mentioned with the cars upgrades/settings+engine break in.

And, surprisingly, people still play GT5P online lol.

S. L.

wooohoo my first vettel gold!
autodromonazionalemonzgoil.jpg

sure gives a boatload of exp!
two races to go

The Premium NSX is nice.

I wish that a premium 00' model Celica GTS was in the game.

I also wish that they had the 2008 Acura TSX, 2010 Acura TL and definitely the 2006 RSX :(.

spats

There was just a huge thunder storm here so had to disconnect all my stuff so they wouldn't fry.. gave me the perfect excuse to fire up GT PSP again. Playing it reminded me realize how much of a step back GT5 was in some key areas. As a bit of a videogame pack rat my biggest damn annoyances are the car shop interfaces. In GT PSP I could sit there and just buy all the cars I wanted without ever needing to take a step back and wait for stupid shit to load. In GT5, even when buying used cars it made you sit through that unskippable little animation (although they sped it up a little bit with a patch) and then booted you out to the GT Life menu.

They must be aware of how much some people usually enjoy collecting cars and checking out their garage every now and then, but what the hell made them turn the car acquisition progress in to such a pain in the ass? Did they want to throttle the speed at which people buy the cars to keep the gift stuff more balanced? Or do you think there was a technical reason behind it? Like they couldn't cache more than that at once? It's so weird and has been annoying me for a long time.

offshore

Fix No. 234245 Polyphony need to make in the game:

When I go to the practice menu or set up an online lobby because I want to race at the Ring at night in the rain (you know, because PD don't offer time/weather options offline) please just make all tyre choices available in the driving menu.

It's fucking irritating setting a track to rain, only to find all your cars only have Comfort - Hard available. That and the fact it doesn't adapt to the fact it's raining, so you're stuck with unsuitable tyres.

offshore said:

When I go to the practice menu or set up an online lobby because I want to race at the Ring at night in the rain (you know, because PD don't offer time/weather options offline) please just make all tyre choices available in the driving menu.

It's fucking irritating setting a track to rain, only to find all your cars only have Comfort - Hard available. That and the fact it doesn't adapt to the fact it's raining, so you're stuck with unsuitable tyres.

+1

Unlock all tires for Online and Practice.

A few months LTTP, but I adore that Lamborghini Exclusive seasonal event on the tarmac course ... the time change is soo awesome. Cr. 86k (or more?) for 1st iirc too. Nice event.

Speaking of time change, I've been thinking about a 6-lap run on the time change Nurburgring - anyone happen to know about what time I should start the race if I want roughly 4 1/2 laps in daylight and 1 1/2 laps in dusk/dark? Or how I would go about determining when the right start time would be?

offshore said:

ABSOLUTELY.

When you just want to jump into a lobby and race, you HAVE TO have soft racing tyres 90% of the time. But guess what, you have to buy them to use them online... 36k credits. And it takes forever as well... Fuck that shit, I've wasted so much money and time because of that.

NEOPARADIGM said:
A few months LTTP, but I adore that Lamborghini Exclusive seasonal event on the tarmac course ... the time change is soo awesome. Cr. 86k (or more?) for 1st iirc too. Nice event.

Speaking of time change, I've been thinking about a 6-lap run on the time change Nurburgring - anyone happen to know about what time I should start the race if I want roughly 4 1/2 laps in daylight and 1 1/2 laps in dusk/dark? Or how I would go about determining when the right start time would be?

The time scale is real(1):game(x) in minutes. So if you choose 24, it means 1 real minute = 24 game minutes.

So assuming you do 8 minute laps on the ring, you need to set it to 30.

1440 (minutes in a day) / 48 (minutes in a 6 lap race) = 30

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
The time scale is real(1):game(x) in minutes. So if you choose 24, it means 1 real minute = 24 game minutes.

All correct, but he wanted to do 4 1/2 laps in daytime and 1 1/2 laps in the dusk I think.

I think it starts to get dark around 8-10. So if you start the race at 4 and put the time acceleration at 10 it should start to get dark around lap 4.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
this is the first GT I've been able to get through and play somewhat, definitely a sim novice...

I've gotten licenses for the first two sets, mostly bronze and a few silver, am I at a huge disadvantage not using a wheel? For instance, I feel like I'll never get the gold on the simple stopping challenges, not sure what more I can do, is it just a large amount of precision with the gas and brake?

S. L.

levious said:
or instance, I feel like I'll never get the gold on the simple stopping challenges, not sure what more I can do, is it just a large amount of precision with the gas and brake?
no, those are just timing. make sure to disable traction control and maybe manual shifting will also help a little bit

Ark

I have to say, Le Sarthe & Nurburgring really look like they don't belong on the PS3, in a good way.

I took a bunch of pictures from a championship race I'm in, and honestly, the day/night transition is really where this game comes alive.

I still love the fireworks to pieces <3

offshore said:
It's been tweaked up, I don't doubt that, but it is certainly not a designed from-scratch track like the Ring has been. It still absolutely uses GT4 assets.
It uses GT4 modeling for the track it self, but all assets are new.

But that's true for all tracks except the ring... and the new ones obviously.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
S. L. said:
no, those are just timing. make sure to disable traction control and maybe manual shifting will also help a little bit

thanks, I'm using manual but not sure about traction control...

offshore

Metalmurphy said:
Some of the objects aren't even the same, and GT4 doesn't have this texture work:
Like I said, parts have been tweaked no doubt, but there are plenty of surrounding assets that have not been updated.

But whatever. I'm sure PD are working on a brand new Sarthe from scratch.

Dibbz

Thanks for the Subaru MM!I hope you guys don't mind but I'm gonna post some pics I took today. I post in the photo thread but I don't think there are as many people who check that thread out since it gets swamped by all other gaming news.

5762738918_a1e1cdbd6b_b.jpg

5762738914_f6be47c9e3_b.jpg

Still love the Citroen though :D

5762738906_345066526e_b.jpg

Metalmurphy said:

Angst said:
I think it starts to get dark around 8-10. So if you start the race at 4 and put the time acceleration at 10 it should start to get dark around lap 4.

Awesome dudes. Thanks. :)

edit:
Metalmurphy said:
Just noticed that new seasonals are up. This time with Supercars!

More awesome!

iamcenok

I'm about to remove a bunch of people off my friends list. Added for B-spec races, and I've been constantly doing them. But theyre not returning the favor.

Anybody who does it regularly want to add me? PSN: iamcenok

iamcenok said:
I'm about to remove a bunch of people off my friends list. Added for B-spec races, and I've been constantly doing them. But theyre not returning the favor.

Anybody who does it regularly want to add me? PSN: iamcenok

I'll add you if that's ok with you.

Only have one friend on my list who plays GT5

ZpUMG.jpg

Angst

Dibbz said:
Thanks for the Subaru MM!I hope you guys don't mind but I'm gonna post some pics I took today. I post in the photo thread but I don't think there are as many people who check that thread out since it gets swamped by all other gaming news.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3278/5762738918_a1e1cdbd6b_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3268/5762738914_f6be47c9e3_b.jpg

Still love the Citroen though :D

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2321/5762738906_345066526e_b.jpg
Wow, nice pics Dibbz!

We need to do a rally event. Tomorrow at 21.00 CET in the NRL Lounge?

I'm unbeaten so far ;) left toxa and ashk in the dust on Toscana :D

I don't expect that to continue

ashk

Angst said:
Wow, nice pics Dibbz!

We need to do a rally event. Tomorrow at 21.00 CET in the NRL Lounge?

I'm unbeaten so far ;) left toxa and ashk in the dust on Toscana :D

I don't expect that to continue

You didn't beat me on Chamonix though! And everyone knows snow is where real men go rallying, it's so hard even the WRC only has one snow event.

Toxa

Metalmurphy said:
Great track for Karting. Count me in.

I don't really like Kart racing in GT cause the slipstream is too extreme.

the slipstream is always too extreme in this game so ...

Dibbz

I've been practicing Angst :D The Subaru seems a sloppy in comparison to Loeb's car though. Seems like the suspension might be softer, will have to look at it and try to sort it out.

5765774675_ce5aac2db0_b.jpg

offshore

Aww... some people are poor sports. Accidentally took out the room host and immediately got kicked out :lol

Also, Dead Man, you seem like the suspension tuning expert, don't suppose you have any advice for setting up suspension on Daytona in a NASCAR do you? No worries if not like. There's got to be something I can do though to go a tiiiiiny bit faster than the rest in the corners ^_^

^ Nice pic btw, Dibbz. GT really shines at dusk.

Top Bottom