• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

ashk

Angst said:
So:

A bit of rally and a bit of karting on Monaco tonight at 21.00 CET. See you in the lounge guys :)

Don't tempt me, I have a lot of work to do this weekend :(

of course I'll try to be there

Dead Man

offshore said:
Aww... some people are poor sports. Accidentally took out the room host and immediately got kicked out :lol

Also, Dead Man, you seem like the suspension tuning expert, don't suppose you have any advice for setting up suspension on Daytona in a NASCAR do you? No worries if not like. There's got to be something I can do though to go a tiiiiiny bit faster than the rest in the corners ^_^

^ Nice pic btw, Dibbz. GT really shines at dusk.
Not really for Daytona specifically, I don't enjoy the NASCARs too much. What seems to be causing problems for you though? Understeer, oversteer, just no grip?

Edit: Also, I am FAR from an expert! Just an interested try hard. :)

Dibbz

Just realized that Champions League final is on tonight. I can make it after which would be about 22:00 BST, 23:00 CET. :|

KingDizzi

Banned
Dibbz said:
Just realized that Champions League final is on tonight. I can make it after which would be about 22:00 BST, 23:00 CET. :|

Indeed get your priorities right, got all my uni work done in the morning so that I can watch Barcelona piss on Man U. A little over a week from now we should hopefully have some new GT info, has GT not been in all the last few Sony E3 pressers?

offshore

Dead Man said:
What seems to be causing problems for you though?
No problem really, just looking to carry a bit of extra speed in the corners, as it frequently goes that early on in the race I get taken out, and then have to spend the rest of race trying to catch up.

I don't understand why some folks start getting aggressive on lap 2 or something. Doesn't make any sense. Just stay with the draft and then start getting aggressive at the end.

Dead Man

offshore said:
No problem really, just looking to carry a bit of extra speed in the corners, as it frequently goes that early on in the race I get taken out, and then have to spend the rest of race trying to catch up.

I don't understand why some folks start getting aggressive on lap 2 or something. Doesn't make any sense. Just stay with the draft and then start getting aggressive at the end.
I'll have a play around with a NASCAR and see what I can figure out, have you tried the tuning forum over at GTP? They are pretty good at figuring suspensions.

brentech

When it comes to NASCAR, I find that everything I have figured out for how my car handles kind of gets thrown out the window. Seems they are beast on their own. Very minor tweaks end up making the car unable to turn (at full speed on daytona) or wearing the tire down really fast. I've decided on just keeping the suspension defaulted. Doesn't seem to leave me at a disadvantage.

The few people I've ran into that feel that have a "great" setup usually are fast, but wear their tires extremely quick and can't last 20+ laps.

offshore

Dead Man said:
I'll have a play around with a NASCAR and see what I can figure out
No, it's alright man. I'll have a look on GTP and others. brentech's right that the default setting is isn't necessarily a disadvantage, but I'd still like to set it up to carry a bit more speed if I could.

Toxa

84813025894820906485128401444050301324904264627855o.jpg

thanks for the f10 brentech ;)

Dibbz

Hope you guys are going to be on tonight. Could go for some rallying as well as karting and FGT on Monaco today :D What a race that was.

I've been doing a lot more of the special events today and I wish all of the game was like this. You pick an event, have a car and just race. It's great.

Then I went back to A Spec, had to navigate the shit menus, try to find out cars I could afford, grind a bit for a better one, etc etc.

It's night and day in terms of good and bad game design between the two modes.

brentech

While I like how put together the special events are (most of them), and wish there was more, if there wasn't money and the ability to purchase cars...it wouldn't feel like much of a GT game or any other simulator available on consoles for that matter.

Would just be an arcade racer...and even those you usually have to do stuff to unlock the cars for use. If that's all the game was it would be a huge disappointment.

brentech

Yeah, I'm not happy with the time to make upgrade purchases and then oil changes and all that. Should all be able to be done from the garage via a quick menu. Should also be able to purchase as many cars as you want from the dealership and have them all delivered at once.

But....I can't agree with that sentiment of "don't do it at all". Too much would be lost.

If they patched in the ability to quickly buy cars from the race menus, reduced loading times and lowered the price of some cars the game would be pretty fucking great.

It's amazing how those three things just ruins the experience.

I want PD to make racing games, because they're good at it, but if the same problems exist in GT6 I won't be buying it. Simple as that!

Dibbz

Some gifs of me and MikeDub with lots of GT5 randoms

Monaco Karting to celebrate the F1 GP
gt5_monaco_karting8n88.gif

MikeDub getting put into a wall in Rome
gt5_fordgt_crash9n54.gif

Madness at Trail Mountain
gt5_trail_mountain_crazumj.gif

brentech

Ha, that trial mountain scene is much like our practices there before the NRL race. People were colliding or going into the grass and wrecking constantly. I think there was an early mishap during the actual race, but then was mostly clean there there.

I miss our leagues..and the open practices even more so.

Angst

brentech said:
Ha, that trial mountain scene is much like our practices there before the NRL race. People were colliding or going into the grass and wrecking constantly. I think there was an early mishap during the actual race, but then was mostly clean there there.

I miss our leagues..and the open practices even more so.
Time to restart it?

We were discussing starting up the Super GT league this weekend, but as summer is approaching fast we will be doing a short season with four endurance races. Non-team based - everybody that wants to join is in.

I'm game to get it rolling this Saturday with a 90 minutes race on Monza :)

Super GT cars or standard cars? I'd prefer to use my Fairlady, but I'm up for any ideas.

Dibbz said:
Some gifs of me and MikeDub with lots of GT5 randoms

Those .gifs really make me appreciate the organized league races, it can be such a cluster with random people. It was good fun none the less, really liked the rally stuff which is something I haven't really touched.

Dibbz

Angst said:
Time to restart it?

We were discussing starting up the Super GT league this weekend, but as summer is approaching fast we will be doing a short season with four endurance races. Non-team based - everybody that wants to join is in.

I'm game to get it rolling this Saturday with a 90 minutes race on Monza :)

Super GT cars or standard cars? I'd prefer to use my Fairlady, but I'm up for any ideas.
Sounds good Angst. Post it in the Super GT thread and get people signed up. 90 minutes Monza with weather in Super GT cars would be a nice way to get back together with you guys.

Youtube Links to the races in the gifs above:

Rome

Trial Mountain

Monaco Karting

WrikaWrek

Banned
Finally got the game.

Man...the game doesn't look that good hey? At least at the beginning, noticeable aliasing and poor shadowing don't help!

Love the driving so far though. Killer.

gunther

WrikaWrek said:
Finally got the game.

Man...the game doesn't look that good hey? At least at the beginning, noticeable aliasing and poor shadowing don't help!

Love the driving so far though. Killer.

Did you update the game?

WrikaWrek said:
Man...the game doesn't look that good hey?

A) Wait until you see the Nurburgring 24h.

B) I was a bit disappointed in the graphics at first, too. Then I played NFS:HP and Shift II (PS3 versions) and all of sudden they looked a lot better. A LOT better.

offshore

Is it me, or has online been getting worse recently? So many black screens tonight, botched grids orders, with people ending up a lap down etc.

Really annoying :S
NEOPARADIGM said:
Listen to this man.

Go and take the Maserati GranTurismo around the Ring at night. The illuminated green dash looks so cool ^_^

NEOPARADIGM said:

Agreed.

I wasn't nearly as impressed by the graphics as I expected to be... until I raced on the weather/time change circuits.

For all the PS2-caliber cars and tracks, shimmering, and framerate issues, running the Nordschleife or La Sarthe in the cockpit with only the dashboard gauges to guide you, when the rain is letting up and dawn is about to break, is fucking magical. It's really not something to be missed; at times like that, the game could be only premium cars and weather/time change tracks for all I care.

Angst

If anyone wants to try their hand at some organized racing without having to commit themselves to a season, here is your chance:

Super GT Saturday 4th June
iUbs7.jpg

Track: Monza - Weather - Chicane ver
Cars: Super GT cars that have been approved for Season 2 so that includes standards, for the full list, see OP
Laps: 45 (tentative, TBC)

Teams: There are no teams, everyone for themselves.

Start times is normal time:

21:00 BST
22:00 Europe

t1307217600z0.png

Grid:
Dibbz - Arta NSX
Toxa - Supra '97
Niks - Woodone Supra
Angst - Xanavi Fairlady '05
Salacious Crumb - Woodone GT-R '06
SunhiLegend - Raybrig NSX '06
Ashk - Xanavi NISMO GT-R '08
NEOPARADIGM

Tentative:
Metalmurphy
Gutterboy44
brentech

Currently 8 / 16 drivers

To sign up, post in the Super GT thread or send me a PM.
Everybody is welcome to sign up. We have a list of cars to pick from (all Super GT 500 cars). Cars are restricted at 502 BHP / 1100 kg, no mods allowed.

5783510692_ef5a5b6d33_b.jpg

Photo by Dibbz from our latest practice session.

Dibbz

It hadn't been working for me ever since PSN came back up. Haven't checked it recently though.

Maybe they're getting ready for a something big that requires GTTV to go offline to make room for the mega awesomeness to arrive :p
I doubt anything is coming :(

I had to export all my replays (and I had tons of them >.<) and photos just so I could delete the gamedata. I had several GB in videos that I couldn't delete and my HDD was full :/

Dibbz said:
What is wrong with the current tyre model apart from the fact durability is not taken in to account? I feel all tyres handle extremely well.

Agree with the AI slider. Would make A spec a lot more fun and challenging.

what's right with it?

is there even any movement programmed into it? the lack of adjustable pressures make me say no - and it certainly doesn't feel like it when you lean on them. it isn't prologue levels ( :lol ) but it is still a shitty effort by polyphony. it may also explain why the cars tend to slide sidewards on cambered surfaces. it needs redoing from scratch as does the force feedback.

also, why do rally and f1 cars ignore your ffb setting in the options?

spats

I'm starting to feel like we won't see anything at all from PD this E3. They have so much PS Vita stuff to show that clumping a new GT game or even a content update between all the other announcements would seem crazy.

brentech

Yeah, I never felt like they'd make any moves on GT5 there. Might answer a question about upcoming patch, but I don't see any drastic changes that aren't already in the plans being done.

amar212

Wax Free Vanilla said:
what's right with it?

Your observation is probably right, but there is one thing that GT does great with tires and no other driving game does it that good. And that is why I *personally* prefer GT over all other games.

Compounds.

Other games maybe have pressure, real-time multizone heating, multizone wear, etc.. But no game does compound-simulation the way GT does. GT is the only game that actually gives initiative to drive the cars on their stock compounds and allows propper experimenting with compound-types in order to increase/decrease performance.

Also, in times of Public Lobby racing in Prologue times, compounds were the most important thing in particular challenges that were differentiating good and bad drivers by mile.

Of course, "self-imposing" of challenges in GT5 and removal of tire-restrictions is a clear step towards pleasing the masses, but the logic of compounds is still there in Special Events and Licenses (although forced SRF have spoiled some of the challenge).

In my GTS racing community we always drive stock cars on stock compounds and it is the only way to go. Mastering fast driving on N2/N3 compound is a handling science, together with mastering an S1 compound on majority of sports cars (RM cars included).

I would also like that tire-model itself gets some improvement as competition does, but even without it GT stays unique in its philosophy regarding usage of tires.

amar212

Nothing new except the ones I have already presented in April.

But silence is so strong after the earthquakes that I really don't know what is going on by any mean.

Angst

[Advertisement]
We had a great endurance race this weekend, next weekend we will be heading to Le Sarthe, which coincides nicely with the real life Le Mans 24 heures.

As in the last race new participants are more than welcome.

Circuit de la Sarthe
RGeH5.png
Length: 8.47mi/13629 m Longest Straight: 1.04mi/1679 m Elevation Change: 122.4ft/37,3 m Corners: 38​

Race starts in:
t1307822400z0.png

Allowed cars:
Super GT cars that have been approved for Season 2 so that includes standards, for the full list, see OP

Teams:
There are no teams, everyone for themselves.​

Track:
Circuit de la Sarthe 2009 - Dynamic Weather - Chicane ver - Time​

Laps:
22 laps, estimated race time 80 minutes​
Weather:
Dynamic (starting with same condition as real life location at the time of race)

Players Participating (4/16):
  • 01 - Angst - Xanavi NISMO Z '06
  • 02 - Dibbz - Arta NSX
  • 03 - Ashk - Xanavi GT-R '08
  • 04 - MikeDub - Lexus Eneos
  • 05 -
  • 06 -
  • 07 -
  • 08 -
  • 09 -
  • 10 -
  • 11 -
  • 12 -
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 21.00 CET
Lounge reset - 22.00 CET
Qualifications start - 22.00 CET
Race start 22.30 CET

At 21.50 we will do a 2 laps race as a warm-up, attendance for the warm-up race isn't mandatory, but recommended. When we're done with the warm-up we will do a sync check in the pits, once the sync is complete qualification starts.

We will do a shortened parade lap at 80 MPH with no passing allowed. Race starts when you pass the beep at T1 (or T2, need to check). Start accelerating when you hear the beep. No warm-up of tyres on the parade lap (doesn't work anyway and leads to widening gaps and incidents).

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

In case of rain:

I've found that raising the car to the fullest and softening up the suspension helps immensely on wet tarmac. If you have the car lowered too much you will essentially be riding a surf board instead of in a car. I.e. the car water planes very easily. As Le Sarthe is pretty bumpy you shouldn't be running in a very low car anyway.

Credit and thanks to Metalmurphy for images and nice formatting

If you want to participate, just pop on over to the official thread and post. OFFICIAL SUPER GT THREAD
[/advertisement rant]

offshore

spats said:
I'm starting to feel like we won't see anything at all from PD this E3.
GT has always been at E3 in some capacity or another for as long as I can remember, so I'd be surprised if we didn't get something, however small.

Though I accept it's more likely to be GT NGP than GT5 Spec II, which IMO is still a massive fail, but whatever.

Top Bottom