• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

seattle6418 said:
It´s a shame that GT5 was always viewed as a perfect game for DLC, but due to PD meticulous approach and small staff, we probably won´t be seeing too much of this.

Hopefully i´m wrong and the following updates bring us some new tracks and cars.

What's more amazing is that the game code and system is already there, but only used for the special edition cars...

offshore

seattle6418 said:
It´s a shame that GT5 was always viewed as a perfect game for DLC, but due to PD meticulous approach and small staff, we probably won´t be seeing too much of this.
It's just a waiting game until PS4, when they'll probably have 400-500 premiums good to go. It's pretty obvious now that GT5 is some kind of stepping stone to PS4.

Over the next three years they should be able to build plenty of premium assets now that they can really knuckle down and not have this pressure circus surrounding a release date shadowing everything they do like they did with GT5.

Mobius 1

New intro screen with driver

New racing suits and helmet designs. You can now change them. Let's you set a profile photo from your customized driver. Poses it for you in 9 ways, you pick one.

You can buy upgrades from the tuning screen. This includes the pre race tuning screen.

Shadows seem cleaner but could be me seeing things.

Tried endurance race, did not see option for in race save.

Mechanical damage on practice... Don't remember if it was there before.

dwebo

Ugh, yeah no in-race save, but you can suspend and resume championships now. Goddamn saw that bullet point in the changelog and heart skipped a beat.

It also says they've improved opponent AI.

amar212

New AI
Mid championship saves
Temporal triple amount for sll event prizes
Temporal brand new cars in OCD
New special online races

No SRF Bonus Pro Races with Prizes (gear, Lv 23 and 27 tickets)
No SRF Time Trials with Gold/Silver/Bronze checktimes initiative and prizes (gear)
Drift Trial with prizes

Corvette C5-R C5 for 1M in OCD, brand new :D

Nice.

Juicy Bob

Full Info from Sony. Things that particularly grab my attention bolded.

Here are the full details of the update:

Racing Gear Items

New racing gear items consisting of helmets and suits have been implemented. These can be used by players in A-Spec, or for any of the "My Drivers" in B-Spec.
There are plenty of variations to the racing gear items and, in addition to several sets being given out as presents when you start GT Mode, players will be able to win new ones when successful in online events. Players can also take a photo of their drivers wearing their favourite gear, and use that custom photo for a driver profile.
For more details, please refer to "Racing Gear" under Top Menu - [Manual] - [GT Mode].

Special Online Event Campaign

For a limited time, all event prizes will be tripled, and all cars appearing in the Online Collector's Dealership will be brand new (0 mileage) and at half price.

Prizes for online events

GT5 will now offer online events in which players can win Racing Gear items and cars as prizes, according to performance. The content of the prizes and the conditions for winning them will vary per event.
Details of the various events are found in [GT Life] - [Online Events].

Parts purchases through the Settings screen

In the Settings screen, parts that players have not yet purchased will now have a shopping cart icon appearing next to them. These can now be purchase on the spot. Purchased parts will immediately be equipped on their car.
For details, refer to Top Menu - [Manual] - [GT Life] - [Settings]

Improved Opponent AI Algorithm

The search range of opponent AI has been expanded and their intelligence algorithm has been improved.

Interrupting and resuming Championship races

In the championship races of A-Spec and B-Spec modes within [GT Life], there is now an interrupt button in the quick menu which appears after completing individual races.
If the interrupt button is pressed, the event will be interrupted and a player’s record up to that point will be saved, and the game will end. The next time the player starts the game, they can continue the championship race from where they left off.

Additional music track

After playback of the ending movie (*short version), "Day To Live/daiki kasho" will be added as a bonus music track.

Other Changes

Check the physical endurance of drivers that are resting in the B-Spec endurance races.
Sort the garage by [Last Car Driven]
In [Weight Adjustment] of [Settings], players can now see changes in the front to rear weight balance when the ballast position is changed.
The A-Spec driver is now displayed in the profile screen.
In the pit menu of B-Spec, the time limit for being able to direct pit work has been changed from reaching "0" in the count down, to "Until the car comes to a complete stop".
The sorting order of the music album has been improved.
When selecting a track created in Course Maker from the course album of Arcade Mode or GT Mode, players can now run single races with up to 16 cars. (Excluding some tracks such as those made before the update, and dirt tracks.)
It is now possible to take 3D photographs even without connecting a 3D compatible TV.
It is now possible to export 3D photographs to [Photo] on the XMB™.

Correction of Known Issues

PDI has addressed the issue of the maximum speed set in the transmission settings of the settings menu differing from the actual top speed of the car. This will affect cars equipped with the relevant transmission tuning part, and almost all racing cars. Cars for which each gear ratio was adjusted manually with a full customised transmission in update versions 1.07 and earlier will not be affected.
An issue with the increase and decrease of the online logon bonus has been corrected.
An issue where the player's car and opponents’ cars braked at the wrong timings in the pit lane during B-Spec has been corrected.
A problem where racing sound effects were turned off after changing settings in the quick menu has been corrected.
An issue of how dirty the oil is when players purchase a used car not being affected by the car's mileage has been corrected.
An issue where some of the driver gear colours had changed after the 1.06 update has been corrected.
An issue in the championships of GT Life where opponent cars kept using the same tyres in the second race and onwards has been corrected.
An issue where the menu BGM was being played back during remote racing rather than the race BGM has been corrected.
An issue of the program freezing when opening a garage containing nearly the maximum number of cars has been corrected.

To Check Your Current Version

To check the version of your software, press the "Manual" button at the bottom of the main menu screen. The version number will be located on the upper left of the index page.

If the number starts with "Ver. 1.10", you are playing the latest version of the game.

If not, please press PS button and quit the game. The game will be updated automatically when you restart it with your PS3™ connected to the internet.

offshore

Good: In-place part buying from settings...finally! Seriously, this is really good, but should have been there from day one.

Bad: Dear oh dear oh dear...another update, another spectacular failure to patch in time/weather settings for offline.

What is this, I don’t get it. How can you not patch this option in? I just do not understand it.

At least we can now buy tyres in place, but I don't think it's fair that you should have to buy tyres just for practicing, especially when you could be selecting quite a few cars to mess around with.

Dead Man

Jesus PD, all that shit that no one was asking for. At least they added the purchasing parts from the tuning menu, but bloody hell, so much other basic stuff that people are asking for, and they give us cheaper cars, for a temporary period?

No mid race saves, no custom event generator, no weather settings offline. I don't think PD gets it, anymore.

Dead Man said:
Jesus PD, all that shit that no one was asking for. At least they added the purchasing parts from the tuning menu, but bloody hell, so much other basic stuff that people are asking for, and they give us cheaper cars, for a temporary period?

No mid race saves, no custom event generator, no weather settings offline. I don't think PD gets it, anymore.
They get it, they're just very slow. I mean, you can now finally save between championship races. It's a step in the right direction, don't you think? By the time GT Vita comes out, we might have saves for endurance races!

offshore

Well at least when you press circle now, you go straight back, you don't have to hover over that home button at the bottom of the screen and confirm again.

Also, according to someone on GTP, leaving a lobby room apparently now sends you back to the lobby menu and not GT Life. That's good.

Okay, loading has been improved, no question about that one. Changing time/weather in the lobby now happens much faster.

Melfice7

The AI is actually aware of you :O am i dreaming?

Also much improved loads, the buy parts from car setup is a godsend aswell

spats

Going to have to fire this up again, it's been a week of two. Good that they're doing UI streamlining, shows that they know where they fucked up.

BeeDog

I'm surprised they even got this patch out, since I assumed that the earthquake would cripple most bigger Japanese studios. Anyway, fixes are always for the good, but the next patch should at the very least allow saves during endurance races.

Melfice7

Got the 3 tickets from the events, level 21 > XJ220 LM, level 22 > Z concept LM, level 23 > GT-ONE

Could be worse i guess

Wow, inching toward what should have been this game at day one but still short in some areas. This is just getting sad/frustrating

Whatever, I should be able to finish out my garage collection and get my platinum. When doing regular online races, do you win more Cr. and Exp. ?

Toxa

gutterboy44 said:
Wow, inching toward what should have been this game at day one but still short in some areas. This is just getting sad/frustrating

Whatever, I should be able to finish out my garage collection and get my platinum. When doing regular online races, do you win more Cr. and Exp. ?

tweet kaz :p

amar212

gutterboy44 said:
When doing regular online races, do you win more Cr. and Exp. ?

For limited amount of time (still unknown) all event prizes are being tripled.

BTW GTPlanet reports notes that A-Spec auto-grinding is no more possible due to revamped AI (that is blocking even the X1) and increased handicap in speed while wallriding :D

What is with this limited time crap again. They will permanently add features that take away from the fun and community like now worthless gifting system but only "temporarily" add features like a reward system that isn't completely broken.

@Kaz_Yamauchi The new Cr. reward levels need to be permanent. Take away the gift restrictions too. GT5 is still broken in so many ways.

done

OK, the purchase from tuning menu is a god send....and should have been present since GT3.

Edit: If only they added "Change Oil" there too!

Toxa

gutterboy44 said:
@Kaz_Yamauchi The new Cr. reward levels need to be permanent. Take away the gift restrictions too. GT5 is still broken in so many ways.

done

a step in the right direction ;)

Toxa

5811167864_aa27961246_b.jpg

5811167924_f8e3b8abce_b.jpg

5811167968_28574821ca_b.jpg

5811168024_0f27fde3db_b.jpg

5811168070_ea2c4c4590_b.jpg

5811168118_c9cffb3b96_b.jpg

Dead Man said:
Nice, but if they wanted that it should have been there from the beginning. Totally the wrong thing to be working on at the moment.

Exactly, good thing we got that GT5 - Tyra Banks - Spec mode everyone was begging for. Shit, I am fucking chuffed that I can take up to 9 different photos of all of my B-Spec drivers that I will never use again before I can save in the middle of any of the 9 or 24 hour endurance races. You know, that little feature that was supposed to be in the game according to Kaz at launch. That little feature that has been asked for since GT2!!! That little feature that allows players to enjoy the game without rolling the dice on burning out their PS3 or racking up an electric bill.

Ahhh, I get too worked up about this shit. Time for attempt at sleep round 2.

amar212

I have just started this discussion on my site and would like to hear your answers:

How exactly would an "Endurance save" worked?

I understand that many want that, but I really do not see it happening, despite Kaz saying "it will be reconsidered".

How can mid-race in-game be *saved*? How can engine "rebuild" the *saved state* after hypothetical "Load"?

How can Save actually "save" all variables of Endurance race fror later continuation: exact position of the AI cars on track, particular moment of time/day, particular conditions of meteorological sub-engine (temperature, humidity), condition of visual damage on all cars, condition of tires/fuel for every car, etc? And what if group of AI cars is happening to be in mid of collision in the moment when Save is "saving"?

We all know that "race" is going on in the RAM. How can you "save" a real-time "situation" inside the RAM and then "rebuild" it for later use?

I would like some discussion on that subject if possible in order to use it as reference points in my small community, thank you in advance.

Angst

amar212 said:
I have just started this discussion on my site and would like to hear your answers:

How exactly would an "Endurance save" worked?

I understand that many want that, but I really do not see it happening, despite Kaz saying "it will be reconsidered".

How can mid-race in-game be *saved*? How can engine "rebuild" the *saved state* after hypothetical "Load"?

How can Save actually "save" all variables of Endurance race fror later continuation: exact position of the AI cars on track, particular moment of time/day, particular conditions of meteorological sub-engine (temperature, humidity), condition of visual damage on all cars, condition of tires/fuel for every car, etc? And what if group of AI cars is happening to be in mid of collision in the moment when Save is "saving"?

We all know that "race" is going on in the RAM. How can you "save" a real-time "situation" inside the RAM and then "rebuild" it for later use?

I would like some discussion on that subject if possible in order to use it as reference points in my small community, thank you in advance.
They could limit it so you can only save when doing a pit stop. That way they don't have to save all factors about your car, only location, speed, fuel and tyre level for the AI cars. It doesn't really matter if one of the AI cars spawns 50 meters off from their saved place either. Allowing saves when you're going 280 kmh would be quite another matter.

Also, toxa: have you changed your settings from French to Japanese to experience the game the way it was meant to be experienced? :p

amar212

I presumed saves could only be done while you're in pit-stop.

However, that still does not solve other issues I've noted.

At least, I think it does not.

BTW Toxa above used official Update assets available on JP site (and on other regional sites as well).

I don't give a damn about all these updates. Seriously when are we going to get DLC, hate that its been 7 months since release and we still have no indication that we will get some proper DLC like cars and tracks. Fucking bullshit prioritys they have over at PD. I mean not being able to select time of day offline is just stupid, also why is the TGTT available in wet during one of the license tests but not available anywhere else. My brain cannot comprehend these stupid weird decisions. It makes no sense

S. L.

amar212 said:

BTW Toxa above used official Update assets available on JP site (and on other regional sites as well).
dump the ram to the hdd, like suspend to disk on laptops. would generate big savefiles but eh.

Angst

amar212 said:

Save the positions of the AI car, if they're in the middle of a crash just dump the car on the track once you reload the game. You won't see it anyway and it's not like the AI is a challenge in the A-Spec races anyway. I.e. it doesn't matter if they lose or gain 15 seconds on one lap. Save track temp, weather, and visual damage on your car. Dump in the AI cars with randomized damage. Wipe the tyre marks from the track. 15 Mb save file or something, no biggie. You can save during races in GTR2 if I'm not mistaken and I think it does something like the above.

Hanmik

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/06/08/gt5-update-1-10-2/

Hello Everyone,

Online racing on Gran Turismo 5 has, of course, proved massively popular since the game’s launch. So I am sure you’ll agree that it is great news that PSN is back up and running and the online racing restored. The PSN issues have been well documented elsewhere, but from my side, I add my own apologies that the issue has taken so long to be resolved and that you have been without multi-player racing during this time.

The good news is that with PSN back up and running we have a new update today for GT5. Kazunori Yamauchi made it clear at launch back in November that the game would continue to develop and be updated during its life cycle. This latest update from Polyphony comes in the form of version 1.10 and includes many improvements and new features to welcome players back to online racing via PSN.

As well as addressing a few issues and making a few simple improvements to enhance the GT5 experience, update 1.10 adds some exciting new features such as online event prizes, a simpler way to purchase parts, an improved opponent AI algorithm, an easy way to interrupt and save your progress in championship mode, new racing gear choices and a new music track.

This latest version of GT5 should automatically download when your PS3 is connected to the internet. However, to check the version of your software, press the “Manual” button at the bottom of the main menu screen. The version number will be located on the upper left of the index page in this manual. If the number starts with “Ver. 1.10″, you are playing the latest version of the game.

If not, please press PS button and quit the game. The game will be updated automatically when you restart it with your PS3™ system connected to the internet.

Seems like we may never get DLC, just updates and updates. Sony can make a ton of money with downloadable content why haven't they released some sort of paid DLC by now? All I want is some new tracks to race on and some new premiums, how hard is it to upscale tracks from GT4 in HD?

Angst

NEOPARADIGM said:
^ No, it's up, just optional.
^Yep.

Kaz said:
Please update the PS3 manually before playing the newest update (1.10) of GT5. To update manually, select [Settings] >[System Update].

SunhiLegend said:
Seems like we may never get DLC, just updates and updates. Sony can make a ton of money with downloadable content why haven't they released some sort of paid DLC by now? All I want is some new tracks to race on and some new premiums, how hard is it to upscale tracks from GT4 in HD?
While I totally agree I find it a bit humorous that here we are begging to pay for DLC, whereas in other games people are angry because of all DLC. :p

I will be very pissed if they release EA-style DLC:

Lead Foot - USD2,99 - increase max throttle on all cars from 100 to 110 percent
Mad Overtaker - USD 0,99 - one time use of magic overtake. Press triangle when you are behind someone and you will automatically overtake while your opponent is forced to brake. Works online and offline. Works once, so buy several items now.

Norante said:
New intro screen with driver

New racing suits and helmet designs. You can now change them. Let's you set a profile photo from your customized driver. Poses it for you in 9 ways, you pick one.

You can buy upgrades from the tuning screen. This includes the pre race tuning screen.

Shadows seem cleaner but could be me seeing things.

Tried endurance race, did not see option for in race save.

Mechanical damage on practice... Don't remember if it was there before.

OH MY FUCKING GOD YES!

THEY DO LISTEN!

Does it work online?

Mechanical damage was already there in practice btw.

Hanmik

NEOPARADIGM said:
^ No, it's up, just optional.

wauw did not know that... any notes on the update..? what does is add/fix..?

sorry just found out that they mentioned it in the US blog on the 6th.. damn.. how did this go past me. I´m getting old..

Angst

Any undocumented changes found yet? There are always some of those in each update.

Edit - one guy on GTP found one undocumented "feature"... his save game got corrupted. It might not have been the update, but it's probably a good idea to upload your save to the cloud before installing the update. Fuck, I have auto-updates on. Hope my save isn't lost. :/

Top Bottom