• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Angst said:
Any undocumented changes found yet? There are always some of those in each update.

Edit - one guy on GTP found one undocumented "feature"... his save game got corrupted. It might not have been the update, but it's probably a good idea to upload your save to the cloud before installing the update. Fuck, I have auto-updates on. Hope my save isn't lost. :/

Does the auto update feature turn on the game to update? If it updates outside the game it won't touch the save game for sure.

I think this new customize your driver thingy is another thing they wanted to do for GT5 at launch but just didn't since the game was rushed.

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
Does the auto update feature turn on the game to update? If it updates outside the game it won't touch the save game for sure.
Nope it doesn't start the game when updating. AFAIK it wakes the PS3, checks my recently played games for new updates, downloads all relevant patches and then installs them.

I have a 1 week old save in the PS Cloud as well, so it wouldn't have been the end of the world anyway.
Metalmurphy said:
I think this new customize your driver thingy is another thing they wanted to do for GT5 at launch but just didn't since the game was rushed.
Yeah, I think so as well.

BTW, to celebrate the patch I'll be in the SuperGT lounge from 21.00 CET doing practice races/laps.

More undocumented changes:

• Physical contact with the walls slow down the cars more.
    (Which means my auto A-spec grinding is no more :/)
  • In multiplayer races, once the Race Results screen appears, the driver's picture (helmet and suit) of the first place finishing car appears at the bottom right of the screen along with 1st place graphic.

• It does the same thing when you host remote races on your ps3. The whole menu interface seems to run alot smoother and faster also. I also noticed my load times are even better than before.
  • The ''start race' green flag icon has been redone to be bright green with a new image.
  • some places of the menu(GT auto and used car lot(as well as online dealership)) seem to automatically exit when you press the O button. Before it would just direct the cursor to the in-menu exit button(yellow button) and then you had to press X
    GOD SEND!
  • sort order has been corrected in the paint/items menu. So descending <--> ascending. This was something that was bugging me a lot and I'm glad they noticed and fixed it even if it's such a small thing.
  • PP has been added to the typical opponents list.

Unconfirmed (cause these reports appear on every freaking update lol):
-visual damage seems to have become a little more sensitive
-seem to have cleared up the jaggies within smoke
-I just won all three seasonals and I noticed slightly improved framerate, lack of tearing and slightly better shadows!!

Thanks to:
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=207439

*edit*

HOLYCRAP, you guys are gonna be happy now. All Seasonals have tripple rewards, and you can redo all of them except the new ones added today. 0 to 20million in a couple of hours.

Angst

I'm afraid those visual improvements are just wishful thinking, as you say those reports always appear after an update. But who knows, maybe they've done a bit of optimizing.

Edit - Triple rewards? o_0 maybe there will be no practice session tonight after all...

amar212 said:
I have just started this discussion on my site and would like to hear your answers:

How exactly would an "Endurance save" worked?

I understand that many want that, but I really do not see it happening, despite Kaz saying "it will be reconsidered".

How can mid-race in-game be *saved*? How can engine "rebuild" the *saved state* after hypothetical "Load"?

How can Save actually "save" all variables of Endurance race fror later continuation: exact position of the AI cars on track, particular moment of time/day, particular conditions of meteorological sub-engine (temperature, humidity), condition of visual damage on all cars, condition of tires/fuel for every car, etc? And what if group of AI cars is happening to be in mid of collision in the moment when Save is "saving"?

We all know that "race" is going on in the RAM. How can you "save" a real-time "situation" inside the RAM and then "rebuild" it for later use?

I would like some discussion on that subject if possible in order to use it as reference points in my small community, thank you in advance.

Don't know but they should ask Studio Liverpool because F1 Championship Edition had mid race saves at PS3 launch.

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
Unconfirmed (cause these reports appear on every freaking update lol):
-visual damage seems to have become a little more sensitive
-seem to have cleared up the jaggies within smoke
This one is at least very easy to check. Run a race, do some burnouts and take a pic of car in a smoke cloud.

spats

Wax Free Vanilla said:
Don't know but they should ask Studio Liverpool because F1 Championship Edition had mid race saves at PS3 launch.

Collaborating with other worldwide studios partners in general wouldn't be such a bad idea perhaps.

amar212

Wax Free Vanilla said:

You got me with that one Wax, smh.

I remember now and now I am not happy.

Angst said:
I'm afraid those visual improvements are just wishful thinking, as you say those reports always appear after an update. But who knows, maybe they've done a bit of optimizing.

FWIW, I noticed the smoke thing prior to reading others' comments about it. It's cleaner (no pixelation) and seems to have a bit more depth to it.

Although ... you never know, could be placebo. ;)

Angst

NEOPARADIGM said:
FWIW, I noticed the smoke thing prior to reading others' comments about it. It's cleaner (no pixelation) and seems to have a bit more depth to it.

Although ... you never know, could be placebo. ;)

Is this gone?

amar212 said:
You got me with that one Wax, smh.

I remember now and now I am not happy.

It's complicated but not impossible I'm sure.

They could allow you to save when you pit into the box, then id' save all the necessary stuff. Position of cars, current speed, tire wear, etc.

Updating now, gonna test the smoke thingy in a bit.

G Rom

Damn, just saw the news on GTP, gonna download that immediately. Many needed improvements in it !
I look forward to play with the 3D photos too ! :eek:

Angst

GTP_Daverytimes said:
That seems to look a lot smoother than before so in a sense it's "almost" gone. (Note: I haven't downloaded the update.)
Lol, that pic is from December... :) I tried my best when taking the shot to avoid the most annoying artifacts.

brentech

Pretty sure that picture is from before the patch, Angst was using it to ask if that was gone....i presume.
edit: so he beat me, but correct. hopefully its better than that.

G Rom

Just did a lap on La Sarthe (GT5 version) at dawn with the LFA :

The shadow LOD seems to be less aggressive indeed
Didn't see any difference in framerate
Profile picture and the whole driver customization is nice
The smoke problem is still there but seems to be reduced (placebo effect ?)
Pressing O not putting you on the Home icon is soooo much better
Buying any parts right from the settings menu (even online) is great

I'm gonna do a race on SSR7 to further inspect the particle stuff.

Angst

G Rom said:
Just did a lap on La Sarthe (GT5 version) at dawn with the LFA :

The shadow LOD seems to be less aggressive indeed
Didn't see any difference in framerate
Profile picture and the whole driver customization is nice
The smoke problem is still there but seems to be reduced (placebo effect ?)
Pressing O not putting you on the Home icon is soooo much better
Buying any parts right from the settings menu (even online) is great

I'm gonna do a race on SSR7 to further inspect the particle stuff.
Bolded part is going to save me so much time. Wished they had implemented this before we did the NRL testing sessions.

Niks

Metalmurphy said:
HOLYCRAP, you guys are gonna be happy now. All Seasonals have tripple rewards, and you can redo all of them except the new ones added today. 0 to 20million in a couple of hours.

20 million here I come.

Also the new online events were more difficult than usual.
I approve.

Juicy Bob

I wish we knew how long this money/XP 'Happy Hour' is going to last. I don't know whether to dedicate all my spare time to grinding for the next few days or not.

Niks

Metalmurphy said:
GUYS GUYS GUYS!

The Stigs helmet and suit is on the cutscene!

Also the driver in the cutscene is your driver (same outfit). Nice touch.

The helmet he picks up, is Kaz real life helmet.

offshore

Well at least they now know that buying parts from settings menu is a good thing, but I hope it's massively overhauled for the next GT.

It looks pretty clumsy and crammed, and it can be difficult to actually see what you've got installed.

Still, good enough for now.

Niks said:
The helmet he picks up, is Kaz real life helmet.
Neat, those 2 are probably gonna be hard as hell to win.

offshore said:
Well at least they now know that buying parts from settings menu is a good thing, but I hope it's massively overhauled for the next GT.

It looks pretty clumsy and crammed, and it can be difficult to actually see what you've got installed.

Still, good enough for now.
There's a big fat check mark on what you have installed :p How is that hard?

G Rom

Metalmurphy said:
GUYS GUYS GUYS!

What cutscene ?!

The particle problem is still there :
5811391071_72966b7a78_b.jpg

This photo was an extreme test (once you see the
Corvette's taillights
, you can't unsee it !):
5811391275_35c9f4c8b6_b.jpg

With the motion blur in a more normal situation
5811956036_11edbb4beb_b.jpg

It's a bit weird, in some condition, it seems to look better but in others it doesn't seem to have changed at all.

G Rom

In-game yeah, I don't think they can do anything more (it doesn't bother me that much anyway) but in photo mode, I don't see why they couldn't (bothers me a lot more).

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
GUYS GUYS GUYS!

Cutscene? There's an intro video for the patch?

G Rom said:
What cutscene ?!
Angst said:
Cutscene? There's an intro video for the patch?

After you patch the game a cutscene shows up on the main menu with your drivers choosing a helmet and suit.

It's this one:
uXl97.jpg

But in real time with your pilot.

That probably means we can win and use the stigs helmet and suit. In a couple a months everyone's gonna be the Stig online.

amar212

G Rom said:
You can get a gift car ticket by race for being 1st in the new seasonal event ! :eek:

There are Gift Items and Lv Ticket prizes in both Extreme Races and in Time Trial and Drift Trial races.

All prizes are one-pickup-only (you get them only for finishing on parrticular place for the first time) but you should all check Time Trial and Drift Trial races too > many Barbie items to colect :D

TIme and Drift Trial races now have provisional-marker goals to meet in order to win Cr/XP/Items.

Pink helmet is most desirable item overthere on GTPlanet at this point ;)

amar212 said:
There are Gift Items and Lv Ticket prizes in both Extreme Races and in Time Trial and Drift Trial races.

All prizes are one-pickup-only (you get them only for finishing on parrticular place for the first time) but you should all check Time Trial and Drift Trial races too > many Barbie items to colect :D

TIme and Drift Trial races now have provisional-marker goals to meet in order to win Cr/XP/Items.

Pink helmet is most desirable item overthere on GTPlanet at this point ;)

I got a pink suit.

3RrQc.png

YHxRU.png

Can you give the new suits/helmets to your existing drivers (A+B spec)?

edit: sorry I did not read that you can also change them now.

Seems like a nice post-release-support-patch overall.

offshore

I see SunhiLegend got a reply from Penrose on the EU blog about DLC.

He didn't answer my question though :/

G Rom said:
A word of advice, you can't upgrade parts that have different levels in the setting menu so be sure to get your weight and engine upgrades before going in the race...
Yep, and it's still the same bullshit "You must install this part in a specific order" prompt.

That's another relic PD have to get rid of.

G Rom

Ok, just got the cutscene. Nice. :)

A word of advice, you can't upgrade parts that have different levels in the setting menu so be sure to get your weight and engine upgrades before going in the race...

Maybe they can make endurances so that you take part as a group. You and 2-3 drivers from your b-spec. So that, if you want, you can drive all the laps yourself, but if you have to go/sleep, you can pit and one of your b-spec drivers can replace you.

It would need a little more thought since b-spec drivers are freaking morons and can't overtake, but it would've been great to have it like that. You know, like real life.

I left my PS3 updating and I missed the cutscene. Is it available in GTTV? I can't check right now as I'm updating the firmware.

Angst

RoaringHawk said:
Maybe they can make endurances so that you take part as a group. You and 2-3 drivers from your b-spec. So that, if you want, you can drive all the laps yourself, but if you have to go/sleep, you can pit and one of your b-spec drivers can replace you.

It would need a little more thought since b-spec drivers are freaking morons and can't overtake, but it would've been great to have it like that. You know, like real life.

I left my PS3 updating and I missed the cutscene. Is it available in GTTV? I can't check right now as I'm updating the firmware.
Like gt4... :(

GenericUser

last weekend i thougt to myself "man, just think about the next gt5 update, this sure will be amzing. E3 really will be the perfect time and the perfect place to drop da bomb". Now, seeing the actual changes noone could be anything more than just plain disappoined. GT5 has so much "work in progress" areas and pd spends time on racing suites and other minor stuff?

i'll really hope they'll announce a "spec B" Version at tgs, hopefully this will be a more complete version and they'll finally reinclude feeder to the (european) OST. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mclNzNyhq4A

a man can dream

offshore

sponk said:
d they'll finally reinclude feeder to the (european) OST.
I never understood why they didn't choose Buck Rogers for that intro.

"He's got a brand new car
Looks like a Jaguar
It's got leather seats
It's got a CD player (player, player, player...)"

:D

The Stealth Fox

I am enjoying the economy boost. I just don't know why they won't make these changes permanent in A-spec.

Tuning from the settings menu works well too. Hopefully they can include engine upgrades via the shopping cart method in the next patch.

Top Bottom