• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Goldrusher said:
New seasonals. Unlimited rewards.

Honda Civic Competition (up to 450PP)
Deep Forest Raceway (5 laps): Cr.339.900 + random helmet
Clubman Stage Route 5 (5 laps): Cr.345.000 + random suit
Suzuka Circuit (3 laps): Cr.364.400 + random helmet
Tokyo Route 246 Reverse (3 laps): Cr.362.700 + random suit
Eifel (Kart) 106A (5 laps): Cr.371.400 + random helmet

Damn, I hope those last long enough for me to go back home and grind the hell out of them >:D

f0rk

At uni with no internet on my PS3 I've been playing a lot of GT5 but it's so annoying not being able to patch. Looking forward to going home, might try some more online races with you guys as well.

Dead Man

G Rom said:
Yeah, the Special Events were easily the best part of GT5's career mode and what you describe SolideSnakex is what I want from future GT/FM's career mode. The A-Spec/Event List career is just outdated in this day and age.
I see the Special Events get a lot of love, but to me they weren't that much different to the A Spec races. Here's a car, start last (always) and try to come first. Or here's a requirement for a car, start last, and try to come first. The only reason the A Spec stuff got stale to me was the limited range of opposition, and lack of variety of tracks. For instance, if you show up to the historic car races with something outside a pretty narrow range of pp, you either get hosed, or flog everyone.

They need a better way to include all the cars, and all the tracks. That much is sure. Maybe if they had a dynamic tuning system for ai cars it would help, but it seemed like all the races were at a static level, and you had to pick your car caqrefully to ensure a good race. What they should have was the field adapting to whatever you show up in. Go to the 4wd race in Sirion 4wd? Cool, race against these similar cars. Show up in a tuned to the balls GTR? That's cool too, race against this set of cars.

Angst

I'd rather it was like this:

Here's a race against crappy cars in the 250 PP range. Show up in a souped-up GT-R? That's cool, you'll be rewarded with 5 000 Cr for winning. Show up in a Samba bus? That's cool as well, you'll get 1 000 000 Cr for winning.

Or something to that effect, probably not that extreme though.

Goldrusher

Angst said:

Here's a race against crappy cars in the 250 PP range. Show up in a souped-up GT-R? That's cool, you'll be rewarded with 5 000 Cr for winning. Show up in a Samba bus? That's cool as well, you'll get 1 000 000 Cr for winning.

Strangely enough, that system was in GT4.

Angst

Goldrusher said:
That's true. You even got A-Spec XP, but that wasn't used for anything if I remember correctly.

So, the most popular feature of GT5 will most likely not appear in any future iterations? GT6 to be single player only confirmed?

Dead Man

Angst said:

Yeah, that would be good as well.

Goldrusher said:
Yep. One more way in which they regressed.

All this talk about the Top Gear license... tbh, I really don't think it's a licensing issue, it's just either lack of vision or lack of time. Lets not forget the Stig is fully modeled in the game, even the Top Gear studio is, the cutscene for the Top Gear challenges is running in real time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29mBzqgcfD8&hd=1
(and the graphics are just insane, they should really have a mode ala Auto Vista)

They just don't do anything with it.

If it was a licensing problem I doubt they'll allow this to be in the game.

G Rom

I had forgotten about that cutscene and the fact that they had the studio modeled too... :-/
What a shame...

Speaking of Autovista/environment, I still don't understand why they don't release the hangar, the wind tunnel or even the parking lot from Prologue to be used in Photo Travel.

G Rom said:
I had forgotten about that cutscene and the fact that they had the studio modeled too... :-/
What a shame...

Speaking of Autovista/environment, I still don't understand why they don't release the hangar, the wind tunnel or even the parking lot from Prologue to be used in Photo Travel.

And the Harbor, the pre-race garages from the several tracks, etc...

Also now that we can customize our avatar and everything they should allow us to place it next to the car in Photo Travel.

Niks

G Rom said:

So much potential for downloadable content...
I would pay a couple of bucks for new photo locations.

G Rom

Metalmurphy said:
And the Harbor, the pre-race garages from the several tracks, etc...

Also now that we can customize our avatar and everything they should allow us to place it next to the car in Photo Travel.

Yeah, something like this GT HD screenshot would be pretty damn cool :
S0-Gran-Turismo-HD-Subaru-Impreza-STi-et-Toyota-Celica-62590.jpg

spats said:
They are sitting on so much content, what the hell are they dooiiiinngggg :(

That's why some of us have talked about outsourcing. It seems like they had a lot of content/ideas that they just couldn't complete because so much of their staff were devoted to building cars. Just imagine what they could do if they were able to focus their attention fully on their ideas and not on car modeling.

Dibbz

Let's not get so worked up about what GT5 could have and still can be and lets just enjoy it. :)

I took my Pug 908 FAP machine :)p) out for a drive on la sarthe after some Nurburgring practice with the Super GT fellas. So beautiful.

5837877912_33b4ff5abe_b.jpg

OMFG who am I kidding? I need more LMP cars. Hurry the fuck up PD and make the Audi R18 and the rest of the bloody grid!!!! Give me some decent events or let me make my own!!!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE :mad:

:(

KingDizzi

Banned
The DLC support for this game is zero, absolutely nothing. That is seriously shocking considering it's a racing game, surely they could throw a god a bone and release a few car packs. Ugh when GT5 released my initial thought was GT5 would release and there would be huge DLC support, basically every year GT5 would be upgraded by a spec and PD would charge full price for it. Not so sure now but the year ain't over yet, really really hoping they don't bother with another PS3 games. It's pretty clear PD were way too ambitious for the hardware capabilities so would benefit greatly from new hardware. Weather is horrible in GT5 but at least night racing is decent, the former would be done right on PS4.

Let's see what happens from here on in, will be interesting to see if those claims of Yamauchi about the car models being set for PS4 are true. If so fucking nice, we should not have to wait too long for the PS4 title. Rock solid 60fps, no tearing etc is what I'm looking forward to and it's not happening on the PS3. This is coming from someone that likes having HD graphics but is not too fussy tech wise, me being able to notice the tearing, frame rate drops etc is not a good sign. Some things tech can't fix though like the stupid design choices. Again fingers crossed that with the next gen GT we get the likes of Nascar but a full career mode for it and 40 cars on track, can't stand watching it but driving them in GT5 was fun.

There still lots of people online?

LivingDigital

Neo Member
I'm sure one car we can all agree is an absolute travesty not to have included in GT5 is the Volvo S60-R....wait....no one... really? Screw you guys......:(

I don't think PD need to wait to PS4. It is going to be one more giant steaming pile of shit after a impossible hype train. They need to learn how to communicate with the community, learn the limitations of their hardware, manage their time better and for the love of fucking god, play some other racing games on the market!!

We need a major spec revision or GT6 done properly on PS3 or I am done with this series. I have been fooled 4 times. They have made the same awful unforgivable mistakes 4 times. Fuck you PD. These are your most dedicated loyal fans who are pissed off and getting frustrated.

Metalmurphy said:
All this talk about the Top Gear license... tbh, I really don't think it's a licensing issue, it's just either lack of vision or lack of time. Lets not forget the Stig is fully modeled in the game, even the Top Gear studio is, the cutscene for the Top Gear challenges is running in real time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29mBzqgcfD8&hd=1
(and the graphics are just insane, they should really have a mode ala Auto Vista)

They just don't do anything with it.

If it was a licensing problem I doubt they'll allow this to be in the game.

well I think the fact that the Top gear special event went from "Challenge the stig" to driving a bus and a lotus around the track AND all the Top Gear shows where removed from Gran Turismo TV shows something happened between TGS 2010 and there November release.

Odds are there will be Zero top gear in the next game so I wonder if for GT6 if they could just remove the Top Gear Branding and just call it Dunsfold airfield or something. Hope they can keep it. I like the track for photomode stuff. At least make another track on a empty airfield in the middle of england.

Has Kaz ever talked about the next GT yet? He has a twitter so has he ever said he wants to improve a feature or add more special events or something. So far all I know is he said they are working on it.

amar212

New EVENT section on all international Official Webs has been introduced, with description of all available Seasonal Events and full-international Online Rankings (Leaderboards) for Time/Drift Trial races.

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/products/gt5/event/

It shows all prerequisites for each race, prizes and in Time/Drift Trial races it also shows all details regarding particular drive of particular driver.

Could it be the final testing for You Know What?

This way or another, nice move.

U0HAn.png

wgVvj.png

Angst

The much talked about by us and not talked about at all by PD Spec II I presume?

Going with common sense and looking at the support for GT5P and GT5 I think it's likely that we'll see a pretty big Spec II update sometime. PD / Sony hasn't said a thing about it though. On the other hand, I don't think they talked about Spec II for GT5P until they released it either.

Dead Man

Angst said:
The much talked about by us and not talked about at all by PD Spec II I presume?

Going with common sense and looking at the support for GT5P and GT5 I think it's likely that we'll see a pretty big Spec II update sometime. PD / Sony hasn't said a thing about it though. On the other hand, I don't think they talked about Spec II for GT5P until they released it either.
I'm going to say leader boards and nothing else. Maybe not even that. Pessimism rules! Wait, no it doesn't. It's shit.

offshore

I can see what's holding up DLC cars. The fact it takes so long to model them means PD probably haven't modelled that many since release.

But tracks are different...I don't understand why all GT4 tracks weren't put in. I mean if it was QA issue, they wouldn't have put Laguna Seca or Autumn Ring in, as both look fucking horrible.

I can't imagine Midfield, Test Course, Tahiti et al looked worse. And even if they did, who cares, they're extra tracks. The quality in the game was already way too inconsistent. PD should have bundled them in.

Dead Man

offshore said:
I can see what's holding up DLC cars. The fact it takes so long to model them means PD probably haven't modelled that many since release.

But tracks are different...I don't understand why all GT4 tracks weren't put in. I mean if it was QA issue, they wouldn't have put Laguna Seca or Autumn Ring in, as both look fucking horrible.

I can't imagine Midfield, Test Course, Tahiti et al looked worse. And even if they did, who cares, they're extra tracks. The quality in the game was already way too inconsistent. PD should have bundled them in.
Yeah, I don't really care about cars at this point, there are plenty already. Sure, there's a dozen or so I wish were there that aren't, but more tracks and an event generator to allow all the great ones they do have to be used fully are needed much more.

offshore said:

I think the thing we are missing is we dont know when PD stopped putting new cars and tracks into GT5.

if they stopped doing that when the game was first meant to be out (march 2010) they could have a good stock pile of cars waiting for GT6 and DLC by now.

I am sort of expecting GT5 spec II as a retail box and DLC pack for current owners this holiday.

a few new tracks and maybe 50 new cars would be welcome.

funkystudent said:
well I think the fact that the Top gear special event went from "Challenge the stig" to driving a bus and a lotus around the track AND all the Top Gear shows where removed from Gran Turismo TV shows something happened between TGS 2010 and there November release.

Odds are there will be Zero top gear in the next game so I wonder if for GT6 if they could just remove the Top Gear Branding and just call it Dunsfold airfield or something. Hope they can keep it. I like the track for photomode stuff. At least make another track on a empty airfield in the middle of england.

Has Kaz ever talked about the next GT yet? He has a twitter so has he ever said he wants to improve a feature or add more special events or something. So far all I know is he said they are working on it.

That was just a mock up. That screenshot was released with many other screenshots of menus that didn't end up exactly the same. But yes, TG disappearing from GTTV is indeed quite odd.

amar212 said:
New EVENT section on all international Official Webs has been introduced, with description of all available Seasonal Events and full-international Online Rankings (Leaderboards) for Time/Drift Trial races.

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/products/gt5/event/

It shows all prerequisites for each race, prizes and in Time/Drift Trial races it also shows all details regarding particular drive of particular driver.

Could it be the final testing for You Know What?

This way or another, nice move.

[]http://i.imgur.com/U0HAn.png[/IMG]
[]http://i.imgur.com/wgVvj.png[/IMG]

It's been on the website from quite some time now no? Pretty sure I've seen that some weeks ago.

Toxa said:
stig suit spotted

You can't hotlink to pictures on GTs website.

What is going on here? Ah, I see. We're getting our hopes up, huh? You fools! GT5 is dead! DEAD! Better prepare to buy a PS4 for GT6!

GT5 Spec II reveal at TGS 2011. Believe.

brotkasten said:
What is going on here? Ah, I see. We're getting our hopes up, huh? You fools! GT5 is dead! DEAD! Better prepare to buy a PS4 for GT6!

GT5 Spec II reveal at TGS 2011. Believe.

If they do have a Spec II in the pipeline it should be showcased at Gamescom. I wonder if Hockenheim will show up there?

Auto-Press casually confirms that it will be featured in the game:

On different international and German racetracks, including Hockenheim and the legendary Nurburgring Northloop, the SLS driver awaits enthralling high speed races against competition cars of the super sports car segment.

If not they're track hoarding for GT6 :(

Goldrusher

Toxa said:
stig suit spotted
There are currently 660 overalls/suits and 590 helmets. However, no famous ones yet. (ie Stig, Yamauchi, Gordon, etc.)

Perhaps there will be new Top Gear (online) events in the near future, with the helmet and suit as rewards ?

I figured they wouldn't allow you to gain the Stig/Gordon/Red Bull stuff normally. Specially since you can farm the new seasonals for equipment.

offshore

Goldrusher said:
There are currently 660 overalls/suits and 590 helmets.
So, they found time to do that, but no time to patch time/weather for offline, fix the broken paint chip system and find a solution to the Credit/XP situation, rather than having the values going up and down more times than a damn yo-yo.

You don't know whether to laugh or cry.

offshore said:
So, they found time to do that, but no time to patch time/weather for offline, fix the broken paint chip system and find a solution to the Credit/XP situation, rather than having the values going up and down more times than a damn yo-yo.

You don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Different teams? The people who did the suits probably have nothing to do with the game code.

All this talk about tracks and cars but what I want in Gran Turismo more then anything is a decent chase cam.

its just so damn stiff in GT5 I cant use it for anything. was my go to camera for GT3 since I could use it for drifting and stuff but I could never get use to the GT4 and 5 camera.

the GT psp chase cam looks ok. Dont know why they didnt use it for 5.

offshore

brotkasten said:
Different teams? The people who did the suits probably have nothing to do with the game code.
Yes I know that. But you get the point. And anyway, why is there a team doing suits and helmets? Surely hiring other people who can actually contribute to the game in a more meaningful way would be a better thing to do.

I'm sorry, I just don't get racing suits and helmets. Makes no sense when there's so much other stuff still to fix.
funkystudent said:
All this talk about tracks and cars but what I want in Gran Turismo more then anything is a decent chase cam.
GT2 chase cam was awesome IMO.

RankoSD

funkystudent said:

its just so damn stiff in GT5 I cant use it for anything. was my go to camera for GT3 since I could use it for drifting and stuff but I could never get use to the GT4 and 5 camera.

the GT psp chase cam looks ok. Dont know why they didnt use it for 5.
They had a GT5 Gamescom demo with that camera, the problem is, with loose camera like that majority of people find it hard to drive straight on a straight line and they start going left and right and end up in the wall, as you can see in the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76OoWiyyIZc#t=1m05s

They need to put it in the options and let us choose (CMR 2 had a very good options for that camera as I remember).

amar212

offshore said:
I'm sorry, I just don't get racing suits and helmets. Makes no sense when there's so much other stuff still to fix.

It is probably just finishing the long-time started work.

In Prologue we had different suites/helmets for every manufacturer and corresponding pit-crew and also a separate pre-race animations for every track/location too.

I can only presume that something like that will be coming as an update once they settle all licenses/designs. At one point prior to game release somebody overthere at GTPLanet submitted a story from French board where there was Gillet's helmet&suit for driver/pitcrew designs apparently submitted for approval to manufacturer.

gillet_forapprove_543.jpg

gillet_ap_542.jpg

http://www.gt5rs.com/news-f23/le-retour-de-gillet-avec-une-combinaison-specifique-t2016.html

We discussed it with Solid and others in pre-release threads if I remember well.

I think racing suits and helmets were supposed to be in GT5 from day one but just got delayed. I remember a video from before GT5 launched where my chemical romance said they designed a racing suit to go in the game.

It makes you wonder what else didn't make it into the final game and if they will release it later on.

Commenting on Amar´s post, god i hope so.

I just want Prologue style leaderboards on GT5, and that is all.

Don´t you guys give me the "but it´s 1000 cars" crap because we´ve been through this.

Please Amar be right on this one!

Top Bottom