• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Dead Man

Angst said:
Are those numbers real? I presume they are, but find it hard to fathom why somebody would have a PS3 that isn't connected to the net. *shrugs*

I wonder how GT5 works for those people, they should still be stuck with 1.0 and will get "Would you like to sign in to Playstation Network?" prompts all the time.
I sourced the number here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28058/Study_PS3_Has_Highest_Percentage_Of_Connected_Consoles.php
offshore said:
And, er, time/weather settings for offline... ^_^

I continue to be baffled at the omission of this option.
I presumed that would be included in the make a race feature, but yeah, massive oversight.
amar212 said:
> what about multi-settings per car (last time I checked there was an HDD in that damn console)
Oh yeah, that is also something that needs to be added, for sure.

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
After PD added pretty much everything I wanted in past patches, this is the one I want most now.
With custom names for the settings please. Sarthe wet, nordschleife etc instead of "1, 2 and 3".

Oh, they should also be uploaded to a server so others could try your settings and rate them. Maybe give you Barbie clothes for rating good.

Dibbz

offshore said:
Making offline practice like the lounge would be a great idea. For sure I use my lounge, but it's the whole idea that you have to jump through hoops and be online just to use time/weather that is so silly. Think of those 22% of offline PS3 owners :p
Even the online lounge doesn't help. Sometimes I like to drive around the nurb or la sarthe at specific times of day where the lighting is really nice and just do time trials but you can't save replays or take photos in free run mode in the lounge like you can do in offline practice.

Angst

Dibbz said:
Even the online lounge doesn't help. Sometimes I like to drive around the nurb or la sarthe at specific times of day where the lighting is really nice and just do time trials but you can't save replays or take photos in free run mode in the lounge like you can do in offline practice.
yeah, quite annoying. You have to start a race to be able to take pics after the race. I wish there was a photo-cruise mode, where you could pause at any time and take pics.

G Rom

Dibbz said:

Just make a fake race with your custom settings with only you on the track. Just put whatever number of laps you want, you can quit anytime anyway. You can save the replay and take photos of it later.

It's not ideal but it's better than the fake randomness of practice/arcade mode conditions...

GTP_Daverytimes said:
It's been said many times but PD are not necessarily the ones to make the game. So the notion that they are wasting resources and time by producing a Vita game is null. I will be happy if they made a game for Vita (even if it took some time from them.). btw this recent patch is awesome, so many things i wanted.

I think that it would be a huge mistake on Sony's part to put PD on a GT Vita. I'm sure a GT Vita will happen and when it does it should be from a company like Evolution. Ged Talbot (the PGR4 lead) could head up the direction of that game. This would also be a first step in the series having some outsourced aspects. As I said on GTplanet, PD's desire to create every aspect of this series is what slows down development. They need to have some of that pressure taken off of them. Cars and different aspects of tracks need to be outsourced for the development of GT6 so that PD can focus more on the game.

Sony also shouldn't have PD working on any other games for the PS3. They should be done with it aside from GT5 DLC/patches. Their focus should now be on pre-planning for GT6 for the PS4 so that it's release can be similar to GT3's (where it's released around a year after the console is on the market).

Angst

SolidSnakex said:
I doubt they're really swamped since Kaz was at the Nurburgring during E3. :p
He has to stay up to date with the track graffiti of course.

Seriously PD - use the nurburgring 24 hour race and all the gt5+ps3 sponsoring and release cars and a new seasonal event mimicking the real event. Yeah, there's already the 24 hour event, but release all cars on the grid of the real race and a one hour seasonal or something.

Hey you know what is a fun and infuriating thing to think about. GT5 still has the NASCAR and Top Gear licenses and they have done nothing with them. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Do they still have the WRC license as well? My god what a sad sack of shit developer they have become.

offshore

I'm still bemused as to how they can have NASCAR, but not have a caution system.

Getting taken out with no caution means your race is over and then you’re just on your todd until the race ends.

offshore said:
I'm still bemused as to how they can have NASCAR, but not have a caution system.

Getting taken out with no caution means your race is over and then you’re just on your todd until the race ends.

For me it is Top Gear, and no Hot Laps Power Board, Race the Stig challenges or fucking standing start single lap time trials for the Top Gear Track.

If one person in that entire waste of a company actually watched an entire episode of Top Gear, they would have to have bread pudding as a brain to not go, "Hey, maybe we should make an option to do standing start laps with a leader board on this track"

Edit: I have a feeling a certain other upcoming racing game will have all of these Top Gear features.

gutterboy44 said:
If one person in that entire waste of a company actually watched an entire episode of Top Gear, they would have to have bread pudding as a brain to not go, "Hey, maybe we should make an option to do standing start laps with a leader board on this track"

lol ... It's funny because it's sad.

G Rom

I was really disappointed by the amount of Ferrari too. They made a big deal about getting Ferrari on board (like they did with the Top Gear license) but the result in the game is lackluster to say the least.
Where are the 250 GTO ? the F50/GT ? the F430 GT2 ? the Testarossa ? the F40 LM ? the F355/Challenge ? the 360 Modena/CS ? the 599XX ? the FXX ? old F1s ?...

Microsoft probably grabbed some kind of exclusivity on the TG license for FM4. It has to be it, I refuse to believe that PD would put to waste the TG license by doing (almost) nothing with it... :-/

G Rom said:
...I refuse to believe that PD would put to waste the TG license by doing (almost) nothing with it... :-/

I have been telling myself things like this for the last four GT games. "There has to be a reason why [such and such feature] is not in the game" I don't think there is any good reason other than PD is completely detached and out dated from the rest of the video game world.

I agree with the Ferrari license thing too. Didn't Kaz own a fucking 355 himself?

spats

They made a big deal about getting Ferrari on board (like they did with the Top Gear license)

Did they, though? They showed brief clips in a trailer or two and maybe made a post on gran-turismo.com but it's not like they hinged the marketing on that stuff. I think it was us who went overboard with the hype and expected more than they could ever deliver.

also ms propably stole a license from under their nose before the release so they had to cut content lol

G Rom

Yeah no, I don't think it's us going overboard with the hype concerning Ferrari. The expectation was legitimate considering this :

Wikipedia said:
The introduction of Ferrari models in the Gran Turismo series was officially announced by the series producer Kazunori Yamauchi and Giulio Zambeletti from Ferrari on September 28, 2006 at the Paris Motor Show. It was soon followed by a special trailer "Gran Turismo HD featuring Ferrari GT cars".

You don't make an announcement at a major Motor Show and release a special trailer for the manufacturer just to end up with only 12 cars (half of those were already in Prologue...) of said manufacturer...

But that's just one of the thing that I'll never understand along with the standard Veyron, XFR and other GT PSP cars...

Isn't Ferrari the manufacturer with the most premium cars?

They obviously had to stop at some point, I'm sure they'd put all of them if they had the resources.

G Rom

No, unsurprisingly Nissan has the most with 15/23 (including/excluding duplicates,) and some manufacturers have around 10 Premium as well.

AndyD

aka andydumi
G Rom said:
I was really disappointed by the amount of Ferrari too. They made a big deal about getting Ferrari on board (like they did with the Top Gear license) but the result in the game is lackluster to say the least.
Where are the 250 GTO ? the F50/GT ? the F430 GT2 ? the Testarossa ? the F40 LM ? the F355/Challenge ? the 360 Modena/CS ? the 599XX ? the FXX ? old F1s ?...

Microsoft probably grabbed some kind of exclusivity on the TG license for FM4. It has to be it, I refuse to believe that PD would put to waste the TG license by doing (almost) nothing with it... :-/

The Ferrari Challenge devs said they had exclusive rights to some of the cars on the Playstation platform. So maybe that's it?

G Rom said:
No, unsurprisingly Nissan has the most with 15/23 (including/excluding duplicates,) and some manufacturers have around 10 Premium as well.

Ok, so it's the second one with most cars :p (if you don't count the multiple nascar ones on some), only passed by the manufacturer in which PD is highly involved with.

Point still stands.

offshore

G Rom said:
Nissan's representation in GT5 is just absolutely out of control. Nissan have 23 premiums, Renault have 2
UdB5K.gif

offshore said:
Nissan's representation in GT5 is just absolutely out of control. Nissan have 23 premiums, Renault have 2
UdB5K.gif

PD has a very close relationship with Nissan, so any favoritism toward them shouldn't be surprising. Kaz has recently acknowledged that there's an issue with the Japanese car slant in the series though. I'm guessing that future GT's will try to cater more toward those that want to see US and European cars.

Just finished Golding the 2 drift challenges and man, do I suck at it haha. Got really lucky on my second one, doing a 3000 point drift and I almost ended up off track, the car stops with one wheel right next top of grass, luckily the score didn't reset.

elfinke

Metalmurphy said:
Brings back memories

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25012069&postcount=4096

You need REALLY good lighting. I mean, lamp pointing at your face good.

A bugger, that's a nuisance. Thanks.

I didn't bother trying to make it work last night, just jumped back into the Supercar Seasonal Event for a few ~400,000 1st place races so I could go on a spending spree, only to then discover that I couldn't buy the Polyphony F1 car until I hit A-Spec level 25 :(

gutterboy44 said:
For me it is Top Gear, and no Hot Laps Power Board, Race the Stig challenges or fucking standing start single lap time trials for the Top Gear Track.

Edit: I have a feeling a certain other upcoming racing game will have all of these Top Gear features.

It just boggles the mind, it really does. That certain other racing game has someone at the helm who seems thoroughly engrossed in his community, and barring funny licencing issues, I can't imagine those things not appearing in the game.

SolidSnakex said:
PD has a very close relationship with Nissan, so any favoritism toward them shouldn't be surprising. Kaz has recently acknowledged that there's an issue with the Japanese car slant in the series though. I'm guessing that future GT's will try to cater more toward those that want to see US and European cars.

Just more Aussie cars please. BF MKII XR6 Turbo for the love of all things that eat European sedans for breakfast :)

G Rom

Yeah, I agree, your point still stand Metalmurphy. The resource problem is just Kaz pulling a Kaz though because any sane designer/producer would have outsourced almost all of the Premium modeling... :p

AndyD said:
The Ferrari Challenge devs said they had exclusive rights to some of the cars on the Playstation platform. So maybe that's it?

Seriously ? That's even worse if true then, how come such a little studio would get an exclusive agreement on the platform that has the biggest racing game franchise in the world ?!
This exclusive license BS really sucks anyway ! EA and Microsoft must really pay some hefty amount of money to have respectively Porsche and Ferrari pretty much agreeing to let them cockblock other publishers...

I used my tuned up C63 AMG in both drift trials. Once I understood that being in the inside of the corner was the most important thing to get big points, gold was only a matter of time.
I'm struggling in the seasonal events though. I managed third in Laguna Seca and still only second in the Fiat. I haven't tried the Lotus yet, probably the Top Gear event flashbacks preventing me to do so... :-D

elfinke said:
Just more Aussie cars please. BF MKII XR6 Turbo for the love of all things that eat European sedans for breakfast :)

Whenever the Australian OPM interviews Kaz they make sure to bring magazines with Australian cars in them. I think that he knows that there are a good amount of people that want them. His comments since GT5 have suggested that GT6 will be much more of a fan driven game. That could be a really good thing or a really bad thing depending on who PD listens to. I just hope that they ignore anyone that complains about the physics engine.

G Rom said:
Seriously ? That's even worse if true then, how come such a little studio would get an exclusive agreement on the platform that has the biggest racing game franchise in the world ?!
This exclusive license BS really sucks anyway ! EA and Microsoft must really pay some hefty amount of money to have respectively Porsche and Ferrari pretty much agreeing to let them cockblock other publishers...
You know, the thing is, I'd never, ever consider buying a specific game, because it has an exclusive license for some cars or tracks. I'd never buy Ferrari Challenge, just because it has some great models exclusive to that game. I'd never buy a Need For Speed game, because it has Porsche (lol) and I'd never buy Grid for the PS3, just because it has Bathurst and so on. I'll just hate the license holders for this bullshit. It's not going to help anyone.

Mobius 1

G Rom said:

I'm with you there, there must have been a licensing issue with the Top Gear content. There is some evidence of it, some of the older menu screenshots for the Special Events had a "Stig Challenge" there, while the final game had those... "events".

I don't get Kaz's attitude. Maybe he is just keen on running Polyphony as a boutique developer, do it all handcrafted in house and the pox on innovation. Competition has caught up though, he must know that.

offshore

G Rom said:
The resource problem is just Kaz pulling a Kaz though because any sane designer/producer would have outsourced almost all of the Premium modeling... :p
I think Kaz would not only rather have a team that he knows and trusts doing the premium cars, but also a team that will now be well versed in how to model premiums, rather than outsourcing them to hundreds of people, only to get wildly inconsistent results sent back.

By the time a PS4 GT ships, which could easily be 4 or 5 years away, PD will have probably amassed 500-600 premiums that will be a consistent quality and ready to go on PS4.

I absolutely think PD should outsource more, but I don't think they should outsource the car modelling. It says something that even with this close-knit modelling team, there's still some inconsistencies; but it'd probably be ten times worse if they outsourced.

offshore said:
I absolutely think PD should outsource moreut I don't think they should outsource the car modelling. It says something that even with this close-knit modelling team, there's still some inconsistencies; but it'd probably be ten times worse if they outsourced.

From what I undertstand they don't outsource at all. They developed GT PSP on their own because they didn't want anyone else touching it. That's worth pointing out because nearly every other first party franchise on the PSP was outsourced.

One of two things needs to happen when it comes to their car models. They need to drastically increase their team size (up to around 300 or so people) in order to handle all those car models or they need to outsource the models. Kaz said that around 60% of their studio was devoted to making cars during GT5. So they had less than 100 people building the rest of the game. Honestly, I think that Kaz should handpick the cars that he feels are most important to the series and have those built inhouse while offloading the rest to some other company.

KingDizzi

Banned
In a perfect world PD would bulk up considerably and the GT games would ship faster. Sadly that's not the world we live in but surely something has to be done, GT5 has shipped over 5.5 million at this point so will have made the money back and then some, especially when you add prologue as well. That turd GT PSP has done 2 million so I don't see money being an issue for them, looking at how long GT5 took it's clear Sony are more than lenient with PD. Something needs to be done because PD are in the unique position where people actually want their games out more often, not fatigue of the franchise. I very much hope PD make GT Vita in house again but really go for it this time, its funny to think GT PSP did 2 million on a struggling system and the game has so many horrible design choices much as no online and career mode, would have done better if those were included. 3 year development cycle for the console games and handheld games would be mint, no fatigue for the franchise but the likes of 5 years per GT games should not happen again.

Norante said:
I'm with you there, there must have been a licensing issue with the Top Gear content. There is some evidence of it, some of the older menu screenshots for the Special Events had a "Stig Challenge" there, while the final game had those... "events".

I don't get Kaz's attitude. Maybe he is just keen on running Polyphony as a boutique developer, do it all handcrafted in house and the pox on innovation. Competition has caught up though, he must know that.

http://www.joystiq.com/screenshots/gran-turismo-5-my-home/#/6

huh. never noticed but your totally right about "the stig challenges"

Kind of a dick move if the Forza/TG deal made them trim back the Top Gear content.

I wounder if the TG track will even be in gt6 (probably not) but maybe the original deal they signed included future games and they could use it for something.

Still I hope they know what there doing with GT6.

since we havent got any DLC for GT5 i have the feeling they are hording new cars and tracks for GT6 and we will have it out holiday 2012.

offshore

SolidSnakex said:
From what I undertstand they don't outsource at all.
They appear to do a tiny bit, though not game related admittedly. If GT5's credits are to believed, the car descriptions and museum cards were done by a Japanese car magazine. It's probably why there are so many errors i.e. Louis Hamilton :lol

Dead Man

offshore said:
I think Kaz would not only rather have a team that he knows and trusts doing the premium cars, but also a team that will now be well versed in how to model premiums, rather than outsourcing them to hundreds of people, only to get wildly inconsistent results sent back.

By the time a PS4 GT ships, which could easily be 4 or 5 years away, PD will have probably amassed 500-600 premiums that will be a consistent quality and ready to go on PS4.

I absolutely think PD should outsource more, but I don't think they should outsource the car modelling. It says something that even with this close-knit modelling team, there's still some inconsistencies; but it'd probably be ten times worse if they outsourced.
I understand no wanting to outsource, but PD are not shy of resources, and surely they can find 40 more people that can model to the standard they want, and hire them. If it was a small company with limited cashflow and publishing independently I would have some sympathy for Kaz's position. But none of that applies to PD. I really feel it is just Kaz wanting to control everything in minute detail, slowing shit down, and ignoring useful feedback and information.

If he wants to be an indie dev, he should be an indie dev. If he wants to make the greatest car game of all time, he needs to pony up the resources to do that in less than 20 years. GT5 being a prologue for PS4GT is not acceptable.

Edit: Actually, the resource thing is only a part of the problem. Most of the issues with the game are matters of design, not resources. Things like multi purchase in the ucs, adding the weather/time functions to the offline races, buying parts from the setup menu, and the terrible way the UI loads screens, especially at first, are all a matter of the way the game was designed, and could have been easily rectified before launch with a minimum of resources.

offshore

Dead Man said:
Most of the issues with the game are matters of design, not resources.
If there's one thing I worry about with GT6, it'd be the game design. If we get this same nonsense design that they've been using for 15 years, then I think I'll be done with GT. It's time for something fresh and modern, without the same old problems.

Dead Man

offshore said:
If there's one thing I worry about with GT6, it'd be the game design. If we get this same nonsense design that they've been using for 15 years, then I think I'll be done with GT. It's time for something fresh and modern, without the same old problems.
GT6 is the first GT game I will consider not buying day 1. Unless there is a hell of a lot more information about the game prior to release, I think I will wait and see with the next one.

offshore said:

I still feel that they've got something big with the Special Events if they can can figure out how to expand it. The Grand Tour especially is something that they should really look into. That's the stuff that should make up the new career mode and not the traditional GT Mode.

Angst

SolidSnakex said:
I still feel that they've got something big with the Special Events if they can can figure out how to expand it. The Grand Tour especially is something that they should really look into. That's the stuff that should make up the new career mode and not the traditional GT Mode.
Agree, those were really good. Rally events etc as well. A-Spec as a career mode can take a hike IMO.

Special events, a bigger selection of seasonal events and then use license tests to ease in new players.

offshore

In my theoretical GT6, Special Events and Special Missions from GT4 would play a big part. It was pretty disappointing not to see Special Missions make the jump to GT5.

Grand Tour was really good, and something like that could play the largest part of the GT6's career. Maybe you could start out touring the country, then start touring the world as you advance. There's just so many opportunities to make something compelling that it would kill me if we get A-Spec Beginner, Advanced, etc, etc all over again.

@Mush, I should probably update that list, they fixed a few things :)

offshore said:
Grand Tour was really good, and something like that could play the largest part of the GT6's career. Maybe you could start out touring the country, then start touring the world as you advance. There's just so many opportunities to make something compelling that it would kill me if we get A-Spec Beginner, Advanced, etc, etc all over again.

I think the dangerous thing is that Grand Tour could almost come off as a story mode, and i'm not sure how some fans would react to that. With the introduction of karts it almost seems like they could create an actual race career. Starting out as a kart drivier and then working your way up to being on the DTM, FIA, NASCAR or WRC series. Kaz has said that he wanted to include DTM and FIA in GT5, but they had to be taken out. I think that's where the future of the series should be headed. Drop the fake shit and just integrate actual racing series into the game. Get the full licenses and integrate each series with their rules and seasons. All of that would be sort of be like the Grand Tour since it would be a large connected event.

This could also extend over to the B-Spec mode. You'd be managing actual teams and racers through these series. I think that would give people more of a connection to that mode. Especially with managing different teams in different series.

G Rom

Yeah, the Special Events were easily the best part of GT5's career mode and what you describe SolideSnakex is what I want from future GT/FM's career mode. The A-Spec/Event List career is just outdated in this day and age.

offshore said:

Honestly I don't think the inconsistencies could be worse. There are already some pretty awful Premium models compared to some of the most detailed models...
I'm willing to bet that if PD took all the new Forza 3 cars (not the Forza 2 ports/upgrades) and put their shaders/lighting on it, you wouldn't see the difference compared to a 6 months in the making Premium.
Beside, modeling isn't what make GT5's cars shine IMO because frankly, anyone with 3D modeling experience/education can model a car nowadays. No, texture details, shaders and lighting are what differentiate PD's work from other developers. They have an extremely talented team that can make plastic look like plastic, metal look like metal, etc...
I mean, standard cars are laughable polygon and texture resolution wise but IMO they still look better and more realistic than the vast majority of cars in other games thanks to the incredible texture work.

G Rom said:
Yeah, the Special Events were easily the best part of GT5's career mode and what you describe SolideSnakex is what I want from future GT/FM's career mode. The A-Spec/Event List career is just outdated in this day and age.

I think (or hope) that it's the direction that Kaz wants to take the series. I really don't think that he was nabbing all those licenses just to use a few cars and driver names. I think that they could have something really special if they were able to integrate actual racing series into the game. The main issue there would be that a huge part of the series appeal is with regular every day cars. They'd need to figure out how to use those in a career style setting.

G Rom said:
Beside, modeling isn't what make GT5's cars shine IMO because frankly, anyone with 3D modeling experience/education can model a car nowadays. No, texture details, shaders and lighting are what differentiate PD's work from other developers. They have an extremely talented team that can make plastic look like plastic, metal look like metal, etc...

It seems like it would be a good idea to outsource the actual car building and allow PD to do all the texture work. That would take a lot of stress off of the staff.

SolidSnakex said:
I think the dangerous thing is that Grand Tour could almost come off as a story mode, and i'm not sure how some fans would react to that. With the introduction of karts it almost seems like they could create an actual race career. Starting out as a kart drivier and then working your way up to being on the DTM, FIA, NASCAR or WRC series. Kaz has said that he wanted to include DTM and FIA in GT5, but they had to be taken out. I think that's where the future of the series should be headed. Drop the fake shit and just integrate actual racing series into the game. Get the full licenses and integrate each series with their rules and seasons. All of that would be sort of be like the Grand Tour since it would be a large connected event.

This could also extend over to the B-Spec mode. You'd be managing actual teams and racers through these series. I think that would give people more of a connection to that mode. Especially with managing different teams in different series.
If there's one thing that Grid got right, then it's the career.

The game begins with the player accepting jobs to drive for other teams to earn money, and once the player gains enough capital they can purchase their own vehicles and drive independently, as well as continuing to drive for other teams should they choose to.

Race Driver: GRID features several modes of competition using various cars. Three main regions are found in the game, United States, Europe, and Japan, each with their own championship. Each of the game's 43 cars are tied to one of these three regions. GRID also features several types of events to compete in, including GT championships, drifting, touge, open wheel racing, and demolition derby, as well as variants on several of these motorsports. Players can also participate in the 24 Hours of Le Mans at the end of each racing season.

Goldrusher

New seasonals. Unlimited rewards.

Honda Civic Competition (up to 450PP)
Deep Forest Raceway (5 laps): Cr.339.900 + random helmet
Clubman Stage Route 5 (5 laps): Cr.345.000 + random suit
Suzuka Circuit (3 laps): Cr.364.400 + random helmet
Tokyo Route 246 Reverse (3 laps): Cr.362.700 + random suit
Eifel (Kart) 106A (5 laps): Cr.371.400 + random helmet

offshore

The outsourcing topic is pretty irrelevant either way I guess...Kaz isn't going to allow outsourcing of cars. I say that's good.

*shrugs*

And to be honest about it, the issue of the amount of cars isn't really something to be concerned about is it? By GT6, they'll be at least four-five hundred premiums...that's just plenty. Plus, if they chuck in a decent livery editor and better mod options, there really becomes an unlimited amount of cars.

With a more powerful course maker, maybe an actual editor giving unlimited tracks, and a livery editor/better mods/tuning options essentially giving unlimited cars, I think that's a more powerful selling point rather than saying "X amount of cars" and "X amount of tracks". Both would be unlimited.

It would give GT6 an insane amount of replayability.

T-0800

Angst said:
Are those numbers real? I presume they are, but find it hard to fathom why somebody would have a PS3 that isn't connected to the net. *shrugs*

I wonder how GT5 works for those people, they should still be stuck with 1.0 and will get "Would you like to sign in to Playstation Network?" prompts all the time.

You don't get prompts if you don't have an online connection detected.

Top Bottom