• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

gutterboy44 said:
Had to easily be 100+ hours. Every car purchased I would change the oil and buy at least three tires. If you included B-Spec, my god, 200+ hahaha

Edit: I didn't grind the events that often or buy multiples of cheap cars which added a lot of time. Still trying to get all cars in the game. A used car I don't own is getting rare.

I have sunk about 400 - 500 hours and i haven't gotten platinum, that's a very efficient way you used.

G Rom

I have golded 2/2 Drift Trials and 1/2 Time Trials (haven't tried the second one) but the Fiat 500 Seasonal is very hard. I'm constantly 15s behind the leader who is in his awful A2...

BTW :
5818847254_7fdd9f0d3a_o.jpg

Gran Turismo: Barbie Spec ! :D

Niks

I lowered the ride height and tweaked the transmission a bit for the fiat 500 event. Passed the lead car in the last third of the last lap. Maybe it helps.

really wanna get back into this game but man there is ALOT of big patches.

kind of hope they release a GT5 GOTY edition or something with all the patches and some news cars and tracks and stuff but I wouldn't be shocked if they just make that GT6 and release it next holiday.

Still love that PD are supporting this game as much as they are but enough with the 300mb+ patches already.

:(

offshore

Yeah, they're going to need to do some culmination on the patches soon enough. So far it's along the lines of,

300mb > 600mb > 40mb > 20mb > 40mb > 380mb > and so on for future updates.

Then there's the installing after the end of each one. This latest patch took an age to install.

Angst

I've downloaded two 9.6 GB patches for The Witcher 2 these last couple of weeks. GT5's patches are more like microtransactions in comparison.

Wes

venison crêpe
I haven't played in a good couple of months and jumped on for a little "Race for Fun" online. I think last time I played that option wasn't even there! It was a 16 player race with Minis around High Speed Ring.

Now I'm not a great driver but I thought I was decent enough, yet I was a good 3-4 seconds a lap slower than even the middle of the pack. I mean I was taking corners on the ragged edge, tyres screeching away, yet some people were overtaking me on the outside of bends about 10-15 mph faster!

Am I completely missing something here?

Wes said:
I haven't played in a good couple of months and jumped on for a little "Race for Fun" online. I think last time I played that option wasn't even there! It was a 16 player race with Minis around High Speed Ring.

Now I'm not a great driver but I thought I was decent enough, yet I was a good 3-4 seconds a lap slower than even the middle of the pack. I mean I was taking corners on the ragged edge, tyres screeching away, yet some people were overtaking me on the outside of bends about 10-15 mph faster!

Am I completely missing something here?

Were you on racing soft tires?

Wes

venison crêpe
Metalmurphy said:
Were you on racing soft tires?

Yup. The guy who had won the two races before the mini one had crashed and I overtook him at the end of Lap 1. I didn't make a single mistake for the next two laps but he finished 10 seconds in front of me!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Damn...modded Lexus IS-F is a 210+MPH beast! Is there any other mass production sedan in the game that can reach those speeds? That's what happens when you have an 8-speed transmission. Hahaha.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
I have sunk about 400 - 500 hours and i haven't gotten platinum, that's a very efficient way you used.
What trophies are holding you up. Level 40 a spec and 1000 cars are really the only ones that took long. Just buy any car you don't own in the used car lot and do the 4 hour Nurb. endurance race when you can. I used to keep a spreadsheet of owned cars before the first major patch that added the check marks so I wouldn't get the same one twice.

Goldrusher

So... the game still doesn't have an option for a quick race online ?

Random track, give everyone the same or an equal car and off you go ?

Goldrusher

Metalmurphy said:
Well, there's shuffle races.
But you can't see that option when entering the online mode.
edit: You can. But you can't filter/search for them...

I want a button that simply throws me into a random race, with random people, with the same or similar cars.

one click --> and you are racing

Goldrusher said:
But you can't see that option when entering the online mode.
edit: You can. But you can't filter/search for them...

I want a button that simply throws me into a random race, with random people, with the same or similar cars.

one click --> and you are racing

So you want matchmaking, something no one wanted from Prologue. :p

Angst

It's a bit strange that they haven't thrown in the online races with PP restrictions that they had in Prologue. Not that I would use them, but I imagine it would make it easier for people to find a quick race without having to browse through all lounges. I haven't played in an open lounge for 5 months actually. Private lounges works so much better for me.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Anybody ever notice that gearing in some cars are not accurate to their real life vehicle? For example, the 350Z, G37 Coupe (Nissan in the game), and 370Z are supposed to all have the same top-speeds per gear (give or take a mile or two) but they don't. They all have the same exact transmission, final drive ratio, and wheel size.

I'm frequently finding little things like this in the game.

I know this is off topic, but i have gotten into SuperGT races. I started searching high and low to find a website that can stream their races and came out empty handed. How can a great series such as SuperGT not even have some partners that can broadcast their races internationally, especially since they seem to have more fans outside of Japan. I also started thinking of the possibilities of SuperGT being in Le man's 24h, how cool would that be (Talking of GT500 cars here). Anyways here is a video that shows the amount of action SuperGT races pack:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxbK1Vp0NzI

3:38 is the closest overtaking i have ever seen, look at how close his fender was to the GT300 car in front of him (GT500 and GT300 race together to increase action, been that way for a long time)

Angst said:
Comfort hard tires? I'll try it out later tonight, my 390 points so far has left me frustrated :p

Hard on rear soft on front. It's impossible to control but it's so powerful that even a small drift gives good points.

Goldrusher

Ooo, didn't know the time trials and drift trials have prize money too.

1 lap Le Mans = 1 million credits, 2 overalls and 1 helmet

Cool.

ashk

GTP_Daverytimes said:
I know this is off topic, but i have gotten into SuperGT races. I started searching high and low to find a website that can stream their races and came out empty handed. How can a great series such as SuperGT not even have some partners that can broadcast their races internationally, especially since they seem to have more fans outside of Japan. I also started thinking of the possibilities of SuperGT being in Le man's 24h, how cool would that be (Talking of GT500 cars here). Anyways here is a video that shows the amount of action SuperGT races pack:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxbK1Vp0NzI

3:38 is the closest overtaking i have ever seen, look at how close his fender was to the GT300 car in front of him (GT500 and GT300 race together to increase action, been that way for a long time)

The GT1 class (which is relatively similar to GT500 in the same way that you could say that GT2 is to GT300) was dropped for this year's Le Mans, so I guess you just missed out on the closest thing realistically possible :p

ashk said:
The GT1 class (which is relatively similar to GT500 in the same way that you could say that GT2 is to GT300) was dropped for this year's Le Mans, so I guess you just missed out on the closest thing realistically possible :p

You are right, GT1 is the closest we can get to having GT500 cars but you have to understand that GT500 cars are considerably faster than GT1 cars (Not in a straight line) and GT500 cars are overall sexy beasts. I will be happy if they completely drop GT1 cars in favor of GT500 cars for the next Le man.

EDIT: In fact GT500 cars are actually LMP1 cars without the restrictors. (The maximum output without the restrictors are around 800hp and the aero dynamics are only rivaled by F1 and LMP1.)

Goldrusher said:

It was a complement, lol. The first shot was strangely sexy looking (female model sort of) so i was thinking maybe PD are finally going to give us female drivers.

Niks said:
Next update to include female driver avatars confirmed.

Most likely not :(

mclaren777

I'm surprised by how difficult the most recent Seasonal events are. I can't seem to Gold any of them and that's the first time that's happened to me.

I wonder if I've just lost my touch. :s

elfinke

So, I fired GT5 up last night, for the first time since, well, November last year. I think I was taking it too serious when I tried to play it last year (and I was changing careers also, probably didn't help!). Steering wheels, assists completely off, yadda yadda. Gave up with crappy loading times, lousy UI and me crashing all the time.

Redownloaded all my CE stuff, and started playing again.

and found that it is in fact, a rather wonderful game.

Once the ~1gb worth of patches got out of the way, I started fresh, playing with just the DS3, with some assists on mild (is it traction control that has a 0-10 slider? Set to 2 anyway) and ABS on.

And I'm fucking loving it. Blitzed through the couple early licence tests, then jumped into the seasonal event category to see what they even were, and to have a race in the Audi R10 car that came as DLC. Obviously, it is a bit OP for these events, but an hour later I had carved them up, earned ~3million credits and went from level 5 to level 20 or something.

So there you go. After being completely burnt out on gaming, I'm coming back around it seems.

However, what inspired me post here is, anyone here using a PSMove camera and head tracking? I had a quick go at setting it up last night (in a dark corner of the living room), and found that it was too 'twitchy'. When it tracked, it was wonderful (after I bumped up some of the settings to let me really look around in the car), however there were times when I was driving down the straight, sitting perfectly still and the camera would be flicking left and right rapidly, as if it were tracking different parts of my head. Needless to say, this is rather nauseating and headache inducing. Anyone else had this? Were you able to rectify it without moving items from behind your head or reorganising your room? I expect there's a ready made solution in the options, which I'll investigate tonight.

amar212

mclaren777 said:
I'm surprised by how difficult the most recent Seasonal events are. I can't seem to Gold any of them and that's the first time that's happened to me.

I wonder if I've just lost my touch. :s

Although you can tune all cars, I can confirm you can win both Fiat 500 and Lotus 111R races with full-stock-car (no upgrades at all). Only thing you need to do is to break-in the engine which can be done by re-running those races for 4-5 times to max HP allowed.

For stabilizing Lotus while braking you can do a brake-bias change to 2F/5R.

Also, here is my winning set-up for Impreza, I wanted a carbon-hood so I couldn't perform a Stage 3 weight reduction but you can pretty much obliterate GT-R right after the Corkscrew in the last lap.

Since understeer is your worst enemy in Laguna Seca race, you have to combat it trough 3 factors: suspension, brake bias and centre differential.

I won with upgraded 390HP/1286kg car with sports suspension, race clutch and carbon shaft only (default differential, default tranny).

Here are the most imporant settings for reducing understeer (and getting oversteer which is very welcomed on Laguna Seca):

> centre differential 35F/65R (essential)
> springrate 8.0F/7.4R
> dampers 1F/2R
> camber 1.7F/0.7R (essential)
> brake bias 2/5 (essential)

Consistency is the key for all 3 races. Best challenges so far in Seasonal races, right after the legendary 2nd batch of Seasonals.

Angst

elfinke said:
So, I fired GT5 up last night, for the first time since, well, November last year. I think I was taking it too serious when I tried to play it last year (and I was changing careers also, probably didn't help!). Steering wheels, assists completely off, yadda yadda. Gave up with crappy loading times, lousy UI and me crashing all the time.

Redownloaded all my CE stuff, and started playing again.

and found that it is in fact, a rather wonderful game.

Once the ~1gb worth of patches got out of the way, I started fresh, playing with just the DS3, with some assists on mild (is it traction control that has a 0-10 slider? Set to 2 anyway) and ABS on.

And I'm fucking loving it. Blitzed through the couple early licence tests, then jumped into the seasonal event category to see what they even were, and to have a race in the Audi R10 car that came as DLC. Obviously, it is a bit OP for these events, but an hour later I had carved them up, earned ~3million credits and went from level 5 to level 20 or something.

So there you go. After being completely burnt out on gaming, I'm coming back around it seems.

However, what inspired me post here is, anyone here using a PSMove camera and head tracking? I had a quick go at setting it up last night (in a dark corner of the living room), and found that it was too 'twitchy'. When it tracked, it was wonderful (after I bumped up some of the settings to let me really look around in the car), however there were times when I was driving down the straight, sitting perfectly still and the camera would be flicking left and right rapidly, as if it were tracking different parts of my head. Needless to say, this is rather nauseating and headache inducing. Anyone else had this? Were you able to rectify it without moving items from behind your head or reorganising your room? I expect there's a ready made solution in the options, which I'll investigate tonight.
Glad to hear you're enjoying the game again. The patches has really improved the game a lot IMO.

Regarding using the Playstation Eye for head tracking - I can't get it to work properly either sadly. I wish they implemented it better and allowed it for online and A-Spec.

Dead Man

elfinke said:
Good stuff.
Yeah, I finally got around to spending some time with the latest patch, and it is vastly improved from launch. The new seasonals are great, the purchasing items from the tuning menu is a godsend. All they need now is multi-purchase in the ucd, race/championship creator, return all the trading options, and get rid of the Cr cap. It would be a pretty perfect game then.

But. (and don't I always have a but)

Imagine you are one of the 22% of PS3 users in the US who do not have an internet connection for their PS3, you are stuck with a real dog.

Angst

Dead Man said:
Imagine you are one of the 22% of PS3 users in the US who do not have an internet connection for their PS3, you are stuck with a real dog.

Are those numbers real? I presume they are, but find it hard to fathom why somebody would have a PS3 that isn't connected to the net. *shrugs*

I wonder how GT5 works for those people, they should still be stuck with 1.0 and will get "Would you like to sign in to Playstation Network?" prompts all the time.

offshore

Dead Man said:
All they need now is multi-purchase in the ucd, race/championship creator, return all the trading options, and get rid of the Cr cap.
And, er, time/weather settings for offline... ^_^

I continue to be baffled at the omission of this option.

amar212 said:
Consistency is the key for all 3 races. Best challenges so far in Seasonal races, right after the legendary 2nd batch of Seasonals.

Brings back memories

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25012069&postcount=4096

elfinke said:
You need REALLY good lighting. I mean, lamp pointing at your face good.

Angst

offshore said:
And, er, time/weather settings for offline... ^_^

I continue to be baffled at the omission of this option.
While I agree, why don't you just practice in your lounge? Lounge gives you access to your garage as well. Question is; why didn't they make offline practice like your lounge, but without the option for people to join?

amar212

Angst said:
Question is; why didn't they make offline practice like your lounge, but without the option for people to join?

I agree. And yet, real two questions are:

> why can't we make an online-championship with adding tracks in desired queue, and
> why there is still no option to force stock car settings / one particular car in Public Races

And all those Prologue-related moments that will never loose on importance:

> where are the Dealership races?
> what about Official Public Races (condoned by PD with forced settings in different tiers)?
> what about multi-settings per car (last time I checked there was an HDD in that damn console)

I do not care about the leaderboards really, but those 5 above would made me very happy GT player.

offshore

Angst said:
While I agree, why don't you just practice in your lounge? Lounge gives you access to your garage as well. Question is; why didn't they make offline practice like your lounge, but without the option for people to join?
Making offline practice like the lounge would be a great idea. For sure I use my lounge, but it's the whole idea that you have to jump through hoops and be online just to use time/weather that is so silly. Think of those 22% of offline PS3 owners :p

Top Bottom