• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

There's like 600 suits and 600 helmets apparently, with that insane number I'm sure suits and helmets DLC would be pointless.

*edit* Actually, it's closer to 700 then 600.

gutterboy44 said:
Gran Turismo 5: The Real Wardrobe Simulator

#FuckKaz

Look at it this way, every other fucking company on earth would have charged you 20 cent for each of those outfits and 5 cents for the helment's. PD is giving it to you for FREE, plus the people that are designing this outfits has nothing to do with making and fixing the game. So whether you like it or not you should be grateful that a company as big and rich as PD has not followed the footsteps of other gaming companies. (Please don't kill me)

Melfice7

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Look at it this way, every other fucking company on earth would have charged you 20 cent for each of those outfits and 5 cents for the helment's. PD is giving it to you for FREE, plus the people that are designing this outfits has nothing to do with making and fixing the game. So whether you like it or not you should be grateful that a company as big and rich as PD has not followed the footsteps of other gaming companies. (Please don't kill me)

This is true, prologue also had free updates that most companies wouldnt do, on japan it launched with 30 cars and 4 tracks, it ended up with 70 cars and 5 tracks

Angst

GTP_Daverytimes said:
That's basically the way I see it too.

I remember when I bought NFS Shift 1, the game had lost of (game breaking) problems and got one patch several weeks after release. Lots of bugs remained but the game got no more patches (AFAIK, I sold the game in disgust). "If you want the bugs to go away you have to buy our sequel coming in 12 months".

That sort of behavior from a developer makes me a lot more frustrated than the support PD has given GT5. Most other games would even have charged us for the seasonal events... release 5 events and call it an Extreme events DLC and charge $9.99. :/

brentech

seattle6418 said:
Commenting on Amar´s post, god i hope so.

I just want Prologue style leaderboards on GT5, and that is all.

Don´t you guys give me the "but it´s 1000 cars" crap because we´ve been through this.

Please Amar be right on this one!
1000 cars isn't the problem. It's sorting the results in way that is meaningful to you. If they had a board for each point of PP, even that wouldn't suffice as we all know.

Only way is defaulting the cars, ie. arcade mode time trial boards. That could and should be done. But it's the only logical way I can see it being done (separated by model and tire selection, of course. All other features locked.)

GTP_Daverytimes said:
You know, I wish they'd charge for the suits, rather than giving them away for free. That way they would see that people don't fucking care about 700(!) suits. I'd rather buy new rims or body kits for 99c, than getting racing suits for free.

"Hey guys, we're releasing a collection of shit we were designing over the time and it contains a lot of different sorts of shit. Here you can see dog shit, cat shit, horse shit, human shit and because you love this Top Gear thing, we even have the Stig's shit! All of the turds were carefully designed by hand and you can see the smallest details. Our team is very proud of this. Because we love you so much, we're giving it away for free! (so you better be grateful for this!)

About that offline weather update you guys requested. I just wanted to let you know that we heard you and we're trying to get it out this holiday. Until then, have fun with this shit!

-Kaz"

Niks

As it has always been the case with Polyphony Digital, the problem here is communication.

A single tweet by Kaz saying "Yes, DLC will be available in the near future" or, "We are working hard on Spec II at the moment" would make everybody happy, but the fact is we don't know what they are working on right now...

And adding suits and helmets does not help, as that is content that should have been on the disc day 1 imo.

Angst

I agree about communication Niks. The funny thing is that their lack of communication before the release probably helped hype the game up a lot more than if they had had weekly podcasts and updates about the game's features.

Life as a GT fan is a roller coaster of hopes and crushed dreams.

Niks said:
As it has always been the case with Polyphony Digital, the problem here is communication.

A single tweet by Kaz saying "Yes, DLC will be available in the near future" or, "We are working hard on Spec II at the moment" would make everybody happy, but the fact is we don't know what they are working on right now...

And adding suits and helmets does not help, as that is content that should have been on the disc day 1 imo.

Your first point i totally agree with, but saying that the content that they just added should have been there on day 1 is not really an argument. If so then every game that has received DLC should have had those contents on the disk day 1. PD has set a standard in supporting console game's and they might not be surpassed anytime soon, their dedication to GT5 is great. The things we want might not exactly be the things that are added but we should be grateful that they are making the effort to support their game, all the while doing it for Free.

brentech said:
1000 cars isn't the problem. It's sorting the results in way that is meaningful to you. If they had a board for each point of PP, even that wouldn't suffice as we all know.

Only way is defaulting the cars, ie. arcade mode time trial boards. That could and should be done. But it's the only logical way I can see it being done (separated by model and tire selection, of course. All other features locked.)

It really isn't as hard as you're making it out to be though. It's not like you need a separate leaderboard for every possible combination of car, track, and tuning option because that would be the most useless thing ever.

Just something simpler like leaderboards for:
- Per track / per car / "stock" leaderboard (all cars are stock)
- Per track / per car / "custom" leaderboard (all cars with any custom parts)
- Per track / per car / "tuned" leaderboard (all cars with any custom parts and custom tuning beyond that)

Or perhaps do it by PP brackets instead:
- Per track / per car / stock PP
- Per track / per car / PP between +0% and +10%
- Per track / per car / PP between +10% and +30%
- Per track / per car / PP over +30%

Even though that's still thousands of separate leaderboards, the actual number of leaderboards is mostly irrelevant from a development perspective, except for UI presentation. It's just a database query.

I realize I'm trivializing it a bit by saying "just a database query", but it's not like it's this gigantic mountain of a task, either.

Personally, I'm not playing the game too much right now. It's not because I hate the game, it's just a combination of:

- I'm sort of tired of playing against the AI
- Online races too frequently have people shitting up the game by driving the wrong way, etc., and are all mostly boring nascar races
- Time trials are pointless because I'm not actually comparing myself against anybody else. Even just a stock/arcade time trial like in prologue would be enough for me to spend hours doing power laps.
- I'm playing iRacing on my computer as well, and moving my steering wheel from one room to the other to play GT is a pain in the ass. I tend to power lap in iRacing more since I actually have other people to compare against and play with.

brentech

Kaz has always said he doesn't like DLC so there is no reason to believe or think that's what they have in mind. If changes come, expect them as a patch until told otherwise.
Senseless to think of DLC seeing as to how Kaz feels about it.

Niks

I think its a matter of what us, the players, want/expect out of the game 7 months after release.

How about a couple of cars? Maybe some tracks?

No, instead they give us some suits and helmets which are fine and all, but, again since the communication is so poor, users are left thinking they are wasting time and resources on these kinds of content that not a lot of us are really asking for.

What is the impact of these new helmets and suits in the game? Just so I can change my avatar that rarely anyone sees?

Now, if they had added in the ability to take pics of your driver with your car as someone suggested earlier, or maybe make it so that you could see a cool animation of a podium scene after online races featuring the drivers in their suits... I would say yeah I get it, it makes sense. However at this point it really doesn't.

dwebo

I was just reading a blog post about Pike's Peak, the yearly climb being in 10 days on the 26th. It'd be pretty cool if PD made that course downloadable to coincide with the event.
bwahahaha, yeah right :(

I mean, what the fuck ever happened with that whole thing last year with the Red Bull website and everything?

dwebo said:
I was just reading a blog post about Pike's Peak, the yearly climb being in 10 days on the 26th. It'd be pretty cool if PD made that course downloadable to coincide with the event.
bwahahaha, yeah right :(

I mean, what the fuck ever happened with that whole thing last year with the Red Bull website and everything?
5.5 million sold units happened.

"5.5 million? I think we're done here."
"Yep, let's move on."
"What's next?"
"Gran Turismo for the NGP."
"*sigh*"

:D

They might be moving on, but to GT6.

We KNOW they're still modeling cars, we know they already have finished at least one of them, and common sense says there's alot more.

It just seems that they won't be releasing them as DLC and instead saving it all for GT6.

Spec II at TGS believe!

It's actually 6,4M btw

Niks said:
Now, if they had added in the ability to take pics of your driver with your car as someone suggested earlier, or maybe make it so that you could see a cool animation of a podium scene after online races featuring the drivers in their suits... I would say yeah I get it, it makes sense. However at this point it really doesn't.[/B]
Well, the avatar shows up when you win online, there's also the cockpit view where you can view your gloves, and then there's the 2 incar replay cameras.

G Rom

While I actually enjoy customizing my driver (it's something that I wanted from GT/FM actually), I can't help but feel that PD is just trolling us by releasing shits that are considerably lower in every GT player wish list than say, more special events, more Premium cars, offline weather/time of day, etc...

Metalmurphy said:
Well, the avatar shows up when you win online, there's also the cockpit view where you can view your gloves, and then there's the 2 incar replay cameras.

Yeah, the other day I booted the game and started a race. I immediately realized that my driver had pink gloves, I was like "WTF ?" and then I remembered that I had taken a picture of the pink suit I had won earlier to post it in this thread.
lol.gif

I 'm sorry but I am not going to pretend to be grateful that PD isn't charging us for glorified patches that are slowly bringing the game to the standard it should have been at release.

I have bought 6 of their games, one a bloated demo at the price of a retail game. They have blatantly ignored community requests and feedback for years.

The single player campaign of this game should animate tumble weeds on all tracks because that is how it feels. Tortuously bad AI with a decade stale event system makes it one large forever alone time trial. Sure there is online but it has the community functions of a last gen game not to mention a plethora of missing features.

I have put up with their shit way too long to say, thanks! to a Barbie's play mansion update. I can't even paint all the god damn cars in the game or change rims. They can shove their 700 suits up their ass with their 700 horns and GT TV and the countless other retardeldy pointless features that took away from meaningful development.

Mister Zimbu said:
It really isn't as hard as you're making it out to be though. It's not like you need a separate leaderboard for every possible combination of car, track, and tuning option because that would be the most useless thing ever.

Just something simpler like leaderboards for:
- Per track / per car / "stock" leaderboard (all cars are stock)
- Per track / per car / "custom" leaderboard (all cars with any custom parts)
- Per track / per car / "tuned" leaderboard (all cars with any custom parts and custom tuning beyond that)

Or perhaps do it by PP brackets instead:
- Per track / per car / stock PP
- Per track / per car / PP between +0% and +10%
- Per track / per car / PP between +10% and +30%
- Per track / per car / PP over +30%

Even though that's still thousands of separate leaderboards, the actual number of leaderboards is mostly irrelevant from a development perspective, except for UI presentation. It's just a database query.

I realize I'm trivializing it a bit by saying "just a database query", but it's not like it's this gigantic mountain of a task, either.

Personally, I'm not playing the game too much right now. It's not because I hate the game, it's just a combination of:

- I'm sort of tired of playing against the AI
- Online races too frequently have people shitting up the game by driving the wrong way, etc., and are all mostly boring nascar races
- Time trials are pointless because I'm not actually comparing myself against anybody else. Even just a stock/arcade time trial like in prologue would be enough for me to spend hours doing power laps.
- I'm playing iRacing on my computer as well, and moving my steering wheel from one room to the other to play GT is a pain in the ass. I tend to power lap in iRacing more since I actually have other people to compare against and play with.

It´s even more simple.

Prologue had two boards for each car: Standard and Pro physics. Change this to GT5 and you would have stock and tuned

Done.

Now, to get meaningful results, all you need to do is use racing-line´s excellent tables that were used for GT2 and GT3 back in the day, using FF, FR, MR, RR and 4WD classes.

Since it´s GT5, you could have also sorted by PP, going from 50 to 50, like: 500, 550, 600.

Problem solved. It´s not rocket science.

Since GT HD and Prologue leaderboards are almost on their way out (july i think), let´s see what they come up with.

-----

BTW, hosting a SuperGT lobby in about an hour. PSN is FASJ6418

Dead Man

Niks said:

Yeah, communication has been the major cause of angst I think.

gutterboy44 said:
I 'm sorry but I am not going to pretend to be grateful that PD isn't charging us for glorified patches that are slowly bringing the game to the standard it should have been at release.

I have bought 6 of their games, one a bloated demo at the price of a retail game. They have blatantly ignored community requests and feedback for years.

The single player campaign of this game should animate tumble weeds on all tracks because that is how it feels. Tortuously bad AI with a decade stale event system makes it one large forever alone time trial. Sure there is online but it has the community functions of a last gen game not to mention a plethora of missing features.

I have put up with their shit way too long to say, thanks! to a Barbie's play mansion update. I can't even paint all the god damn cars in the game or change rims. They can shove their 700 suits up their ass with their 700 horns and GT TV and the countless other retardeldy pointless features that took away from meaningful development.
It's... it's like you know me.

Well, I wish in one of these updates they would fix the custom soundtrack bug where it just reverts to the crappy original racing music for some unknown reason. And give us the ability to skip or pick certain songs while racing for crying out loud.

Anyway, it's such a love/hate affair with this game. I hate all of it's problem that they continue to ignore yet I can't stop playing it from time to time. I'll go through phases where I stop playing for a few weeks and then pick it right back up and obsess over it for a few weeks. I'm like that with no other game in my library.

offshore

Spectral Glider said:
Anyway, it's such a love/hate affair with this game.
It's more love than hate for me now...if they just patched time/weather for offline, gave each paint chip unlimited usage and unlocked tyres in the driving options for practice, then it'd be near complete love. Those are the things that are most realistic at this point, and it still confuses me as to why they're not in the game.

A complete overhaul and reinvigoration will have to wait until GT6, and even though GT5 is in a lot better state now than it was in November, I can't get GT6 at launch unless I know things have changed. I just worry that Polyphony will be completely oblivious to that message, one that a lot of people seem to be feeling, and instead just trot out the same putrid design.
GTP_Daverytimes said:
He answered: "Polyphony has already started with the new updtade, DLC should come next."
To quote Malcolm Tucker, "should does not mean yes"

Hey PD, put those three things I want in the next update! :lol

Angst

offshore said:
I can't get GT6 at launch unless I know things have changed. I just worry that Polyphony will be completely oblivious to that message, one that a lot of people seem to be feeling, and instead just trot out the same putrid design.
If PD shows a trailer at E3 with 1 second glimpses of what might be new tracks and new cars you'll be there in the pre-launch thread salivating with the rest of us.

Angst

Dead Man said:
I want to get on, but I don't know if it is going where I want to end up :(
I heard a rumour on a French message board. Next update will bring customizable shoe laces and underwear. They actually had to delay new tracks because they felt that they needed to focus on getting the underwear just right down to the last texture. They even change during the race, so if you're in a near crash you'll find the textures have adapted accordingly.

Dead Man

Angst said:
I heard a rumour on a French message board. Next update will bring customizable shoe laces and underwear. They actually had to delay new tracks because they felt that they needed to focus on getting the underwear just right down to the last texture. They even change during the race, so if you're in a near crash you'll find the textures have adapted accordingly.
DAY 1!!!! HYPE TRAIN BOARDED!!!

Mush

Angst said:
Toxa, can you vouch for this?

AndyD

aka andydumi
funkystudent said:
I wounder what DLC for gt5 will even be.

seems a bit late to for car and track packs.

Why late. They can totally do a spec 2 and add a large roster of cars and tracks. Rather than one by one type thing.

If they bring back half a dozen popular tracks and a few dozen premium cars people would eat it up.

AndyD said:
Why late. They can totally do a spec 2 and add a large roster of cars and tracks. Rather than one by one type thing.

If they bring back half a dozen popular tracks and a few dozen premium cars people would eat it up.
well thats what I mean.

it would probably have to be a giant expansion with cars/tracks/modes and what not.

Its probably a but late to sell $5 car packs at this point.

give me 5 new tracks and atleast 30 new cars and some new single player events for $10/15 and a new retail box they can sell in shops for the holiday.

Goldrusher

99217_1_399x600.jpg

GT and Survolt in Berlin this weekend.

In Paris the next weekend.

http://www.creativetour.citroen.com/

CITROËN launches “Créative Tour” to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the Croisière Jaune

André Citroën launched the Croisière Jaune in 1931. A pioneering rally raid from Beirut to Beijing along routes that had never before been travelled by motorised vehicles, the expedition fascinated the world. Eight decades later, the brand has lost none of its daring spirit. To celebrate the anniversary of this extraordinary scientific, artistic and human adventure, CITROËN is launching a new cross-border event, “CITROËN Créative Tour”, an innovative road show drawing young and old into the world of “Créative Technologie” complete with parades of outstanding concept cars. The tour kicks off in Europe in Berlin from 17 to 19 June, followed by Paris from 24 to 26 June and Moscow in September. The celebrations will continue in China before the year’s end with more surprises.

A movable pavilion for an innovative road show

In 1931, faced with the crossing of the Himalayas and the danger of landslides, the valiant pioneers of the Croisière Jaune had to dismantle their half-track vehicles to get through the roughest terrain. Some 80 years later, the brand has once again chosen the same dismantle-and-reassemble principle for the CITROËN Créative Tour. This original road show will be stopping in Berlin at the BallonGarten park from 17 to 19 June, in Paris at the Invalides building from 24 to 26 June and in the centre of Moscow in the autumn, before moving on to China for more festivities.

Three “domes” for three distinct creative exhibition spaces

Comprising three linked-up domes, the pavilion used for the CITROËN Créative Tour illustrates all of the brand’s boldness and creativity:

• “Innovation” dome: the largest space in the pavilion immediately transports the visitor to the world of CITROËN “Créative Technologie”. The vehicles are displayed alongside astonishing contemporary and interactive artistic creations. The sculptural bonnet of the CITROËN C4, finished in heat-sensitive paint, constitutes a work of art in its own right. The “Revolte” concept car is flanked by the DS line, namely the DS3, DS4 and DS5. This last model, revealed in Shanghai in April, will be the first CITROËN to feature full-hybrid technology, HYbrid4.
•“Sensation” dome: this space, located at the centre of the pavilion, is dedicated to interactivity and digital leisure. Visitors can have a go at “Live Car Painting”, colouring in the roof of the CITROËN DS3 using a touch screen. Thrill seekers can get behind the wheel of the GTbyCITROËN concept car on the famous Gran Turismo 5 game, available on Sony PlayStation 3.
• “Adventure” dome: the third space showcases the daring exploit of the 1931 Croisière Jaune. A half-track vehicle is on show, surrounded by the expedition equipment that was used at the time. Visitors also get to relive highlights of the adventure with a map of the expedition animated by films projected by a special robot!​

Concept car parades in city centres

In each capital city destination, the CITROËN Créative Tour will feature parades of the brand’s emblematic concept cars three times a day. With models including Survolt, a 100% electric true-blooded racing car, and GT by CITROËN, a real-life version of the car designed by CITROËN for the Gran Turismo 5 video game, thrills are guaranteed! And for still more excitement, CITROËN is organising a competition via a dedicated mini-website (www.creativetour.citroen.com), with lucky winners getting an insider’s view of the event as a passenger in one of these exceptional cars!

Practical information:

• Free admission
• Berlin: BallonGarten park, Friday 17 to Sunday 19 June 2011, 10 am to 8 pm.
• Paris: Cour du Dôme des Invalides, Friday 24 to Sunday 26 June 2011, 10 am to 7 pm.​

Kaper

Finally hit A-Spec lvl 30 yesterday and holy shit at the x2010 challenges. The fiat 500/111r/wrx challenges are fun though, they are something I have to work for.

Top Bottom