• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

//B1G said:
I don't need it to ask me as soon as I've skipped the intro sequence, as soon as the first screen come on and then after I click the fucking GT Life icon!

Think of when PSN was down, this was happening to EVERYONE. =)

l2ounD said:
my gameprint shirt finally came through :D

photo.JPG

Wow, awesome :D I want one!

BTW, GT5 is kinda annoying with the PSN messages, but the latest Ratchet and Clank is absolutely retarded -_- It asks if you want the frigging update WHILE YOU PLAY, and EVERY FIVE MINUTES!!! wth.

The loading times were never that bad, and they improved in the last couple updates for me too.

Risk Breaker said:
Wow, awesome :D I want one!

BTW, GT5 is kinda annoying with the PSN messages, but the latest Ratchet and Clank is absolutely retarded -_- It asks if you want the frigging update WHILE YOU PLAY, and EVERY FIVE MINUTES!!! wth.

The loading times were never that bad, and they improved in the last couple updates for me too.

GT5 does this also. I canceled the 1.10 update the other day, played a bit, and it prompted me to download 1.10 during the game, even in the middle of racing at Laguna Seca. Ended up giving in and doing it.

Atruvius

I'm quite new to driving simulations. Last GT game I played was my cousins GT3. I remember liking it alot. Buying lots of cars fascinated me and still does and that's why I am thinking of buying Gran Turismo 5, + the pretty pictures in the other thread.

I like arcade racers, like Burnout, and Wipeot HD. Do you guys think I would like this? The game has been tempting ever since its release.

Reviews said that the loading times are atrocious, has any patch helped that?

Thanks for replies.

spats

Atruvius said:
I'm quite new to driving simulations. Last GT game I played was my cousins GT3. I remember liking it alot. Buying lots of cars fascinated me and still does and that's why I am thinking of buying Gran Turismo 5, + the pretty pictures in the other thread.

I like arcade racers, like Burnout, and Wipeot HD. Do you guys think I would like this? The game has been tempting ever since its release.

Reviews said that the loading times are atrocious, has any patch helped that?

Thanks for replies.

Loading times have been improved, but make sure you have some HD space reserved because you'll be much better off in that regard if you install.

Doing the license tests should get you into the game properly. It starts off slow and teaches you a bunch of stuff about car control. Some think they're tedious, others love them. There are a bunch of aids you can turn on to help you out if you feel like you're skidding around too much but even then it won't be even remotely anything like Burnout.

Atruvius

spats said:
Loading times have been improved, but make sure you have some HD space reserved because you'll be much better off in that regard if you install.

Doing the license tests should get you into the game properly. It starts off slow and teaches you a bunch of stuff about car control. Some think they're tedious, others love them. There are a bunch of aids you can turn on to help you out if you feel like you're skidding around too much but even then it won't be even remotely anything like Burnout.

Just bought it. Should arrive next wednesday. I hope I'll like it, I'm going to cry if I don't.

Goldrusher

Leave/turn on Skid Recovery Force, put traction control and ABS both on 3 and you'll be fine.

And be sure to start with the licenses and the special events, which will both teach you the basics of driving and racing, as well as rewarding you with tons of money and cars.

Atruvius

Goldrusher said:
Leave/turn on Skid Recovery Force, put traction control and ABS both on 3 and you'll be fine.

And be sure to start with the licenses and the special events, which will both teach you the basics of driving and racing, as well as rewarding you with tons of money and cars.
Ok. I'll be sure to remember your advice. Thanks!

I think my brake pedal is knackered with this game. Its started to ever so slightly apply the brakes itself when I go down the straights (g25, abs off)

Anybody else experienced this?

Wax Free Vanilla said:
I think my brake pedal is knackered with this game. Its started to ever so slightly apply the brakes itself when I go down the straights (g25, abs off)
Anybody else experienced this?

Yeah, it's happened once or twice to my pedal assemly. The reason it happens is the variable resistor connected to the pedals degrades over time and can get dirt or corrosion on the contacts. Rapidly pumping the brake pedal (or slamming it with your foot) will sometimes clean all the crap off of it and/or reset its range of motion. I've had it happen a couple of times, but it's never killed a race for me, and it only happened after I left my pedals for a few weeks without playing. Worse case scenario, you can pause the game, unplug the USB cable, replug it, and the wheel and switches will recalibrate their range of motion.

It happened a lot more to my Driving Force Pro.

The G25 has ultra sensitive brake pedals.

One way to improve this is to fully press the brake pedal on your first race (when you turn the console on) so the wheel recognizes the full motion of the pedal. It helps a little bit.

Unfortunately because of that it´s very hard to play with ABS off.

(edit - oh, so it´s a different issue. But still, this solution might help a bit).

Adelor Lyon said:
Yeah, it's happened once or twice to my pedal assemly. The reason it happens is the variable resistor connected to the pedals degrades over time and can get dirt or corrosion on the contacts. Rapidly pumping the brake pedal (or slamming it with your foot) will sometimes clean all the crap off of it and/or reset its range of motion. I've had it happen a couple of times, but it's never killed a race for me, and it only happened after I left my pedals for a few weeks without playing. Worse case scenario, you can pause the game, unplug the USB cable, replug it, and the wheel and switches will recalibrate their range of motion.

It happened a lot more to my Driving Force Pro.

Thanks, but it still does it. I think I'll have to pull the unit apart and see what's up.

seattle6418 said:
The G25 has ultra sensitive brake pedals.

One way to improve this is to fully press the brake pedal on your first race (when you turn the console on) so the wheel recognizes the full motion of the pedal. It helps a little bit.

Unfortunately because of that it´s very hard to play with ABS off.

yeah, the pedal range polyphony programmed is insane. you just have to rest your foot on the pedal and it will lock up.

how is the braking with the thrustmaster?

Yeah, it isn't your pedals, it is GT5. You can turn down the brake settings in the game and it helps a little but still doesn't resolve the issue. I have no clue why GT games can't have the normal wheel settings found in every other god damn racing game.

I use my G27 in Dirt 3 and F1 2010 and it works perfectly. All buttons, custom deadzones etc.

Fuck you PD, for not even fully supporting all of the popular wheels.

What a joke.

gutterboy44 said:
I have no clue why GT games can't have the normal wheel settings found in every other god damn racing game.
It's tough because I like playing Race '07 a lot, but it's difficult for me to get the Logitech drivers calibrated to work the same as GT5's driver setup. I haven't even tried iRacing yet, and I missed the Steam sale where Dirt 3 was half off. Then again, I bought the Codemasters pack a few months ago (75% off or something like that) and have barely played any of them.

I'm reasonably happy racing cars in GT5, but right now it's getting a little thin because there's no progression besides the usual grind and hoping something interesting will come out of the seasonal events.

Dibbz

I'd love online seasonal events. GT5p had something along those lines. Online races with restrictions placed by PD. With events like this at least you would know you could jump online and find a room you could race in where everyone has the same car choice.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
Thanks, but it still does it. I think I'll have to pull the unit apart and see what's up.

yeah, the pedal range polyphony programmed is insane. you just have to rest your foot on the pedal and it will lock up.

how is the braking with the thrustmaster?

Haven´t had a chance to test this wheel, but the brake pump on G25 G27 really helps. You can play without ABS at least on race cars if you change the brake bias and do this "calibration method".

I´ve tried for a while during GT Academy, and it was better for some corners because the cars stop on a dime.

Actually, what really bothers me is the clutch, it feels dead and weird and the biting point is phantom.

I always look like a fool when trying to drive with the clutch.

Yes, like Gutterboy said, basic support for the most popular wheels... rocket science...

Go figure PD.

seattle6418 said:
Yes, like Gutterboy said, basic support for the most popular wheels... rocket science...

Go figure PD.

You know that really bothers me about this? They support all those shitty fisherprice wheels from Logitech, but not the high-end series? Now, if that's not some bullshit, then I don't know.

Dead Man said:
All the Rufs from the last 15 years should be in the game. Amazing company.

This makes me believe that they don´t care all that much about the Porsche license.

The RUFs could be the perfect solution for all this. If you can´t get Porsches, you should put a bunch of RUF models, perfectly modeled, with great sounds, and you could also create those LM versions to fill the void left for the no show of Porsche Race cars.

CTR cup car
BTR LM
Yellow Bird GT1

Things like that could definately solve the issue and people wouldn´t even miss the Stuttgart manufactor.

The oportunity was there, they just didn´t take advantadge.

gamescom would be a good place to reveal premium porsche cars in a nice spec II update.

i read they're not featured in forza 4? maybe sony/polyphony cut a deal with ea with the ferrari license like microsoft did in the past?

:lol

Dibbz

I've given up hoping for any sort of DLC for GT5. It's clear that they need years to create the content. It's not like Shift 2 where cars and tracks are more or less is outsourced to china. PD work in their own time to make their assets so expecting any significant DLC packs does not seem likely.

I only hope that GT6 comes with a shit load of content and comes on the PS3.

Regarding the G25, I've never had a problem with it in GT5. Well apart from the odd occasion where it would never shift into 2nd gear on certain cars. :|

Dibbz said:
I've given up hoping for any sort of DLC for GT5. It's clear that they need years to create the content. It's not like Shift 2 where cars and tracks are more or less is outsourced to china. PD work in their own time to make their assets so expecting any significant DLC packs does not seem likely.

I only hope that GT6 comes with a shit load of content and comes on the PS3.

Regarding the G25, I've never had a problem with it in GT5. Well apart from the odd occasion where it would never shift into 2nd gear on certain cars. :|
But it's not like those expectations came out of nowhere. Prologue had great content updates with Spec II and III, so it seems a bit strange that they won't do anything with GT5.

You G25 owners are lucky that you can use the DFGT settings to map your buttons. G27 owners like myself can't change anything and four of the 6 buttons on the wheel won't do anything.

Dibbz

brotkasten said:
But it's not like those expectations came out of nowhere. Prologue had great content updates with Spec II and III, so it seems a bit strange that they won't do anything with GT5.

You G25 owners are lucky that you can use the DFGT settings to map your buttons. G27 owners like myself can't change anything and four of the 6 buttons on the wheel won't do anything.
Honestly I can't even remember what came with the Spec 2 and 3 updates. What was there? The unmasked GT-R?

That's a shame the hear about the G27. I would have thought it would have worked properly with GT5. Hell it's not like the wheel came out after GT5 so what's their excuse? They know their audience are hardcore sim players so it should have been obvious what wheels should have gotten support. Yet here we are.

PD sure do need a kick up there arse even if they make one hell of an awesome sim.

Dibbz said:
The clutch doesn't work properly. If you accidentally press it or flub a shift by shifting too quickly, shifting with the gated shifter only works randomly unless you press one of the paddles to "reset" the game. Pressing the stick down and shifting to 6th is supposed to engage reverse, but it doesn't. I had to map a button to reverse, but the button won't work unless (again) I pull one of the paddles to put the game into sequential mode.

It's frustrating as hell. I really expected more from PD.

Dibbz said:
Honestly I can't even remember what came with the Spec 2 and 3 updates. What was there? The unmasked GT-R?

That's a shame the hear about the G27. I would have thought it would have worked properly with GT5. Hell it's not like the wheel came out after GT5 so what's their excuse? They know their audience are hardcore sim players so it should have been obvious what wheels should have gotten support. Yet here we are.

PD sure do need a kick up there arse even if they make one hell of an awesome sim.

Here's the content part of the spec II and III change log.

Polyphony Digital have gone and released a massive update to Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. The “Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec II” udpate was released on March 28th, and the new features are simply awesome.

Additional Cars
- 34 Additional Cars have been added, for a total of 71 cars.

Additional Track
- High Speed Ring (normal/reverse) has been added, for a total of 6 tracks, 12 layouts.

New cars For Spec III

This is the first update for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue to add new cars to the game. Three new cars were added (GT by Citroën, Ferrari California, and Lotus Evora) they all have to be acquired by completing rank a,b,c,d.

Dibbz

That's weird about the clutch. For me it's worked flawlessly apart from the odd occasion when doing a grid start in A-Spec where it just wouldn't go into 2nd gear. I'd have to let go of the clutch put the gear in Neutral then press the clutch down again then shift into 2nd and then it would work. Your issue seems completely different however.

Spec 2 had 34 cars? Were they all Skylines?

Dead Man

seattle6418 said:
This makes me believe that they don´t care all that much about the Porsche license.

The RUFs could be the perfect solution for all this. If you can´t get Porsches, you should put a bunch of RUF models, perfectly modeled, with great sounds, and you could also create those LM versions to fill the void left for the no show of Porsche Race cars.

CTR cup car
BTR LM
Yellow Bird GT1

Things like that could definately solve the issue and people wouldn´t even miss the Stuttgart manufactor.

The oportunity was there, they just didn´t take advantadge.
Yep. Sums it up really. It's a massive shame, I like the Rufs even more than the Porsches, they are just amazing cars.

amar212

I said it on multiple occasions and I will say it again.

Until Polyphony Digital does not literally inflate the working force, double the employees (from current 150 to at least 300) and establish some kind of EU/US subsidiary-studios that will be solely responsible for collecting the track/vehicle data - all content based updates will be scarce.

Car modeling is a crazy time-consuming job, I will use just example from company that done some outsourcing for Forza 3 here - Austrian Rabcat worked on preparing car-assets for FM3 > they did 18 exteriors, 9 interiors.

As they state in their official portfolio, it took 14 people a 25 man-months on that task.
http://www.rabcat.com/website2011/media/Rabcat_printportfolio2010.pdf (page 11)

Polyphony Digital have 34 employees working on car-modeling.

Calculate.

Also, car/track collecting data for building them in *premium* quality is a mammoth-job.

We can now all argue about how WE would manage a workflow or whatnot, but at the end it just comes down on one simple fact:

- only real competition in terms of actual content that PD ever faced for the GT series is Forza series. If Microsoft didn't literally spent gazillions in funding T10 for all of their worldwide-contractors and more than 4 outsourced companies that work on car/track modeling, no other game would still be even close to content offered in GT5.

Comparing work by PD and T10 is also nice food for forums but have very little to do with reality. While GT5 is produced by 150 people located only in Japan (thus having limited access to all assets), full T10 workforce is currently probably exceeding 400 people that are working cross-continents in US, EU and Asia.

I do not want to play PD's advocate here, but I can completely understand the lack of many assets in the game.

I have high hopes that some Spec II update will give us plethora of new content - tracks in first place, because after 7 months of constant online play with my friends we're now pretty much fed up with existing track portfolio - bit I wouldn't be surprised if all efforts in PD are now focused on rebuilding GT5 engine into GT6, while some smaller teams are working on almost certain GT for Vita and Tourist Trophy 2.

Dead Man

I think most people understand that they don't have the manpower, I also think most people don't understand why the hell that is the case.

spats

I'm still playing gt5 on and off since launch, working my way to 1000+ cars and getting trophies, but I think I'm ready for another gt hype thread. Call me sadistic but I like them almost as much as playing the game. ;)

In response to the posts above, it would be awesome of pd actually created a sister studio within scee pr scea to craft "secondary" titles for Vita as well as helping with asset creation while still maintaining strict quality control. Now that they got gt5 out of the gate and have gotten a chance to catch their breath, it would be a good opportunity to start mobilizing an effort like that.

PD does listen to what people are saying even though there's a belief that they're completely shutoff from outside opinion. I'm sure that they know that people want to see them expand so that more and more content can be added to each game. Does that mean things will change? Not necessarily. The biggest issue really is the outsourcing problem. GT is Kaz's baby and it's pretty clear that he has a hard time of letting people outside of PD touch it from a development standpoint. GT PSP is one of the best examples of that. Regardless of what you thought of it, the game was developed internally at PD while the majority of Sony franchises on the PSP were outsourced.

I think PD figuring out a way to build cars much faster is probably much more likely than them outsourcing. There are always programs being created in this industry that allow for devs to do something quicker or for something new to be done. PD has a program that creates the physics engine for cars, and that's obviously a pretty damn impressive program given how solid GT5's physics engine is. They obviously aren't going to be creating some program that does the same for car models, but they could figure out something that could make the process much quicker. That would make a major difference if they were to bump their staff up some more.

Dead Man

SolidSnakex said:
PD does listen to what people are saying even though there's a belief that they're completely shutoff from outside opinion. I'm sure that they know that people want to see them expand so that more and more content can be added to each game. Does that mean things will change? Not necessarily. The biggest issue really is the outsourcing problem. GT is Kaz's baby and it's pretty clear that he has a hard time of letting people outside of PD touch it from a development standpoint. GT PSP is one of the best examples of that. Regardless of what you thought of it, the game was developed internally at PD while the majority of Sony franchises on the PSP were outsourced.

I think PD figuring out a way to build cars much faster is probably much more likely than them outsourcing. There are always programs being created in this industry that allow for devs to do something quicker or for something new to be done. PD has a program that creates the physics engine for cars, and that's obviously a pretty damn impressive program given how solid GT5's physics engine is. They obviously aren't going to be creating some program that does the same for car models, but they could figure out something that could make the process much quicker. That would make a major difference if they were to bump their staff up some more.
They don't have to outsource, just double their modelling team. Would it be impossible to find another 30 or 40 people in the whole world who can model at the standard they want? Frankly, the days of a small team being responsible to one person and them being able to oversee every single thing for a project of this size are gone. I know it's Kaz's baby and all, but you cannot make as much content as they want, with the fidelity they want, with a team of the size they are using.

ZippyB

Neo Member
GT is one of my fave games of all time! being playing these since the original GT came out for PS1.

It's really handy when I need to buy a new car - I just fire up GT and purchase the car I'm interested in. I then try all the different paint jobs and alloys to see which look the best.

I remember buying a Mitsubishi FTO after finding it on GT.

Atruvius

Man, this game is AMAZING. Framerate is smooth, controls are fully customizable and feel great. Music is good, especially that clapping song. Cars are so beautiful, even the standard ones.

I golded beginner and intermidiate levels of karting. They were easy and the most driving I have had this far in this game. I also got lots of cash from karting, 100 000 cr., and lots of levels.

My A-sped level is now 11 and B-spec is 3.

With 100 000cr. I bought Tesla Roadster which I then modified. I am also still using my starting car, that blue Civic 93', when I can't use Tesla. Upgraded it a bit also. Loving the game. Much better than I expected.

I have two questions:

1. I can't name my B-spec anything I want, right? There's only predetermined names. I also can't create multiple drivers?

2. Do I get money for races I have already completed? I got 40 000cr. for single intermediate karting race. Then I raced it again and I'm not sure if I got the 40 000cr. or if any.

Dead Man said:
Would it be impossible to find another 30 or 40 people in the whole world who can model at the standard they want?

no, the pc modding community could put their current modellers to shame.

yoshida should grow some balls and fire/demote yamauchi.

spats

Atruvius said:
Man, this game is AMAZING. Framerate is smooth, controls are fully customizable and feel great. Music is good, especially that clapping song. Cars are so beautiful, even the standard ones.

I golded beginner and intermidiate levels of karting. They were easy and the most driving I have had this far in this game. I also got lots of cash from karting, 100 000 cr., and lots of levels.

My A-sped level is now 11 and B-spec is 3.

With 100 000cr. I bought Tesla Roadster which I then modified. I am also still using my starting car, that blue Civic 93', when I can't use Tesla. Upgraded it a bit also. Loving the game. Much better than I expected.

I have two questions:

1. I can't name my B-spec anything I want, right? There's only predetermined names. I also can't create multiple drivers?

2. Do I get money for races I have already completed? I got 40 000cr. for single intermediate karting race. Then I raced it again and I'm not sure if I got the 40 000cr. or if any.

You can create multiple drivers but you need to get your spec level up first. I think it gives you access to a new driver slot every 5 levels or something like that.

f0rk

Atruvius said:

Not the special events.

Dibbz

Dead Man said:
They don't have to outsource, just double their modelling team. Would it be impossible to find another 30 or 40 people in the whole world who can model at the standard they want? Frankly, the days of a small team being responsible to one person and them being able to oversee every single thing for a project of this size are gone. I know it's Kaz's baby and all, but you cannot make as much content as they want, with the fidelity they want, with a team of the size they are using.
I think the problem is finding 30 or 40 people who live in Japan that can work to their standard. I'm just assuming this though, but it does seem like there would be a smaller talent pool to choose from for PD.

Like someone already mentioned, a sister company for PD in Europe or US could really help out.

In the meantime, some shitty Splinter Cell game has almost 500 people working on it.

If GT was a budget release, i would understand the situation.

It is not. It´s a franchise that can have 400-500 people working on it. Our path right now is to have no DLC content whatsoever. And GT is the perfect game for such content.

Of course this is not doable with the current staff.

I know culture, Kaz´s baby and all, but it´s time to change the culture. Things evolve, change, and you can´t keep doing games like you did in the 90´s because it´s just not gonna work.

Apparently it´s a memo that japanese developers didn´t get, seeing their missfortunes this gen.

And still, if we get into deep discussion, having played this game almost everyday, i would take 3000 standard models over what we get everyday.

Mod community could create models in between and we would be just fine.

I love to look at those PS4 car models, but they came at what cost?

less content? less online functionality, less cars on the track, less physics? So call me crazy, but i think the PS3 was not the machine to handle this vision and their staff is also not able to mass produce this vision.

I love my standard models and drive them everyday. Sure they could be better, but hey, i can drive my lovely Takata Dome NSX ´03, or my Oreca Viper and when i´m driving it, i really don´t care that they are ugly.

They drive really good and that´s what matters most.

-----------------

Enough of rants and babblings, i just wanted them to change their culture a bit, because the possibilities for us car lovers are endless.

Top Bottom