• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Dead Man

Spectral Glider said:
If you're like me, you buy a Ford Mark IV and find out it kind of sucks compared to the Jaguar XJ13.
But you get the trophy for having no credits if you didn't grab that at the start. So that's something... right?

That's true, I did get the penniless trophy. Thanks to the seasonals, I did get back up 7 or 8 mil pretty quickly. But I discovered I was having more fun buying and upgrading crappy standard cars instead of blowing all my cash on one race car.

Dead Man

Spectral Glider said:
That's true, I did get the penniless trophy. Thanks to the seasonals, I did get back up 7 or 8 mil pretty quickly. But I discovered I was having more fun buying and upgrading crappy standard cars instead of blowing all my cash on one race car.
That's always been my favourite part of GT. Showing up in a crappy car and beating some super exotic.

gate777

I just unlocked my 4th driver; does anyone have a quick/easy way for levelling up my new BOB in b-spec?

My overall b-spec level is at 15 right now so I can't access the extreme or endurance events as of yet.

Goldrusher

gate777 said:
I just unlocked my 4th driver; does anyone have a quick/easy way for levelling up my new BOB in b-spec?

My overall b-spec level is at 15 right now so I can't access the extreme or endurance events as of yet.
Just throw them straight into the highest events you have available.

razu

So, I'm on attempt one thousand of Extreme Nascar Daytona... I can see the source code now...

Code:
if( m_currentLap == m_numberOfLapsInRace-2 )
{
    for( int carIndex = 0; carIndex < m_numberOfCarsInRace; carIndex++ )
    {
        if( m_pCar[carIndex]->IsAI() )
        {
            // hee hee
            m_pCar[carIndex]->SetBehaviour( AI_BEHAVIOUR_SEEK_AND_DESTROY_PLAYER );
        }
    }
}

I will get gold tonight, even if tonight goes on all weekend...

brentech

Honestly that's probably one of the more fun races as you just don't know what's going to happen. You can't just roar to the front and expect to stay there. I liked it.

razu

High five...!

Lap 8, taken out... 1st to 12th place... just about held on to the back of the pack! Stormed through the field... took 1st place on the final corner...!

Satisfying! :)

razu

brentech said:
Honestly that's probably one of the more fun races as you just don't know what's going to happen. You can't just roar to the front and expect to stay there. I liked it.

True that. The next race I did was the Ferrari Seasonal around Indy, and I steadily crept up on first place. Once past there was no suggestion he was going to take the place back...

Dead Man

razu said:
True that. The next race I did was the Ferrari Seasonal around Indy, and I steadily crept up on first place. Once past there was no suggestion he was going to take the place back...
That's why I don't like all these rolling starts. You need such a fast car that once you are past, you are REALLY past. I am enjoying buying every car in the UCD thanks to the seasonal prize amounts though.

Zibrahim

Hi, not a reg but I have a few questions.

Do you all have the Red Bull X2010? If yes, how the hell do you control it without a wheel? On B-Spec this machine looks like a cartoon when it handles corners and brakes. On my DS3, it's like a retard ice-skating with butter on his shoes.

Do I need a wheel to handle this machine without tuning?

Melfice7

Zibrahim said:

Do you all have the Red Bull X2010? If yes, how the hell do you control it without a wheel? On B-Spec this machine looks like a cartoon when it handles corners and brakes. On my DS3, it's like a retard ice-skating with butter on his shoes.

I have 4 of them :D and while its possible to be able to handle it with a DS3 its extreeeemely difficult, with a wheel its alot easier but challenging too

Dead Man

Zibrahim said:

I will admit that I gave up on X2010. Just could not steer the damn thing with a controller.

Zibrahim

Melfice7 said:
I have 4 of them :D and while its possible to be able to handle it with a DS3 its extreeeemely difficult, with a wheel its alot easier but challenging too

How did you manage 4? I only have 1 from grinding to level 35 on B-Spec

Dead Man said:
I will admit that I gave up on X2010. Just could not steer the damn thing with a controller.

I thought as much. This machine is a beast but difficult to maneuver with analog sticks.

Zibrahim

Melfice7 said:
1 by getting to level 35 on b-spec like you and 3 by completing the challenges with gold

Insane. I think I'll bite the bullet and pick up a wheel soon. I'd hate to waste such a great car. This would be the first GT game to force me to get one...bah.

T-0800

Anyone feel that GT5 is judged too harshly? I've been playing it a lot this week and the game really is stunning. A few rough edges here and there sure but a great game nonetheless.

Melfice7

T-0800 said:
Anyone feel that GT5 is judged too harshly? I've been playing it a lot this week and the game really is stunning. A few rough edges here and there sure but a great game nonetheless.

Definitely but i also feel PD deserves it, it's time to cut the bullshit and deliver what the fans want.. many things were fixed and added since launch and improved the game but imo they still need to change like 60% more of the game's design to catch up with the ages

T-0800

Melfice7 said:
Definitely but i also feel PD deserves it, it's time to cut the bullshit and deliver what the fans want.. many things were fixed and added since launch and improved the game but imo they still need to change like 60% more of the game's design to catch up with the ages

What? GT to me is taking a car out on a track and driving it. I don't want them to make it more gamey.

Syn23

I'm watching Formula 1 qualifying right now.
Man, Nurburgring GP is REALLY well done in GT5.
Track seems accurate to inch precision.

Dibbz

Yep it was so awesome watching qualifying this morning. GT5 looks spot on to me to the real track. Now just give us weather on this track to so we can replicate what's going to happen tomorrow (hopefully).

Syn23

Honestly, now that you make me think about it, it's strange they didn't add weather from the release. I mean, the 24h layout uses 95% of the track.

the curbs, track layout and elevation are off in gt5

1zoRb.gif

4sDvU.gif

l3MrZ.gif

i guess it's the best they can do without laser scanning it and as usual the surrounding environment is a disaster like all gt tracks.

Wax Free Vanilla said:

i guess it's the best they can do without laser scanning it and as usual the surrounding environment is a disaster like all gt tracks.

You had to go into detective mode before you could point out the difference, that in itself is pretty awesome. The current technology they are utilizing seems to be very effective without the extra cost and time it take to laser scan a track, and that's the good thing about PD they seem to get the most out of very little (Excluding cost lol)

EDIT: And i think perspective has a little to do with the slight differences in the pictures.

Dead Man

Wax Free Vanilla said:

1zoRb.gif

4sDvU.gif

l3MrZ.gif

I'll give you the elevations and trackside detail (which is awful), but I think the kerbs are pretty right considering the change in camera heights.

Syn23

Honestly I can't understand how the track design is "off". Seeing the gif there are indeed some differences, but nothing you can notice while playing.

I'm watching the F1 race right now (pretty good race so far) and, from the camera car view, I really can't spot any major difference from what I recall from the game.

Toxa

New “World Compact Car” GT5 Seasonal Events & More

After nearly a month-long hiatus, GT5‘s Seasonal Event updates have returned. The “World Compact Car” series is now available, open to cars with less than 450pp and less than 4200mm in length. Races take place at the following circuits:

• Rome City (5 laps, 356,100 Cr.)
  • Grand Valley East Reverse (5 laps, 384,000 Cr.)
  • Cape Ring Outside (3 laps, 403,200 Cr.)
  • Tokyo Route 246 (3 laps, 395,100 Cr.)
  • Tokyo bay (Kart) 107A (5 laps, 406,800 Cr.)
In addition, new Time Trial events at SSR5 and Suzuka East are now available, along with new Drift Trials at Trial Mountain and Rome Reverse. The game’s Online Car Dealership has also been updated with a curious selection of “classics”.
http://www.gtplanet.net/new-world-compact-car-gt5-seasonal-events-more/

Melfice7

JVIDICAN said:
Well I finally got to level 30 A-spec today and unlocked the X2010 event.
It's kicking my ass. :| ..Any tips?

Got a wheel? brake late and hard while turning

Got a DS3? go cry in a corner :3

JVIDICAN

Melfice7 said:
Got a wheel? brake late and hard while turning

Got a DS3? go cry in a corner :3

I have a wheel. :p
Thanks, I'll try out your suggestion tomorrow. It's been frustrating as hell for me so far. I've had so many DQs.. ;_;

Dead Man

JVIDICAN said:
I have a wheel. :p
Thanks, I'll try out your suggestion tomorrow. It's been frustrating as hell for me so far. I've had so many DQs.. ;_;
The DQ's are so frustrating. I think I would have spent more time with that if they just wiped that lap rather than restarting.

SunhiLegend said:
So i'm guessing were never going to get DLC?
No Spa no El Capitan. No Suzuka or Fuji at Night. No new tracks, just more seasonals yeah. (T_T)

Wait till gamescom or TGS. They aren't going to do DLC if it isn't announced at one of those events.

Melfice7

I already had all the cars in the new OCD

So i said fuck it and went on a buying spree.. spent 14M on the last Nascar and Super GT's, the premiums i have left are F1 07 and the XJ13

Dead Man

SolidSnakex said:
Wait till gamescom or TGS. They aren't going to do DLC if it isn't announced at one of those events.
Yeah, there remains a slim chance of redemption until TGS in September. If that rolls around and no word on updates then... I'll knock over a magazine rack. And probably not buy the next GT day one.

Top Bottom