• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

spats

I've had the same phat since 2008 and I've never had problems with it. 9 months of cold and 3 months of fucking cold FTW. Living in Finland has its merits.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I personally go to great lengths with my PS3...and all my electronics.

For example I moved my electronics space so my TV is against an external wall (colder than an interior wall)...the ps3 sits right under it and as close to the cold wall as possible. In the winter my electronics alone can heat my room...lol

I dust frequently...and in the summer I make sure everything is well ventilated...I have no enclosure for anything...everything is given it's space no conducting of heat what-so-ever.

You might think I'm crazy but I've only ever had a PC break down on me in all my years and that was down to the GPU fans failing...the process of sending it back to HP etc was enough to put me off forever from not taking care of electronics...

spats

Risk Breaker said:
I don't know what's more likely, Spec II or GTVita...

Both.

0031_yyc5.gif

I'm ready to set myself up for disappointment. Come at me Kaz.

Melfice7

GTVita is a given, but it will also be the first time a GT game is outsourced to a new company :3

I'm talking out of my ass btw

Syn23

It should be easy to port GT5 engine on Vita, so it's unlikely that GT Vita will be outsourced.

It was stated in several developer's interviews that it's easy to port games from PS3 to Vita, and they showed a Metal Gear Solid 4 gameplay when they announced the console.

I'm dreaming about a low resolution GT5-like graphic with proper shadows on Vita.

offshore

So GT5 Platinum re-enters at number 10 in the UK chart. Think of those customers who are going to have to go through that install, as well as downloading all those updates.

Why didn't Sony put in just a little extra effort and press at least version 1.10 on the disc to lighten the load? Makes no sense.

spats

offshore said:
So GT5 Platinum re-enters at number 10 in the UK chart. Think of those customers who are going to have to go through that install, as well as downloading all those updates.

Why didn't Sony put in just a little extra effort and press at least version 1.10 on the disc to lighten the load? Makes no sense.

I know. So stupid.

Angst

offshore said:

New customers have to EARN the goodness that is GT5. If they can't make it through an hour of installs and several hours of patches they are clearly not worthy of playing Kaz' vision.

Goldrusher

I'm tempted to delete my install and see how long it takes.

Might fix the 2 minute initial loading times. Though than could be related to having a save with over 900 cars.

Goldrusher said:
I'm tempted to delete my install and see how long it takes.

Might fix the 2 minute initial loading times. Though than could be related to having a save with over 900 cars.

You'll lose all ur replays, photos and times in practice.

Goldrusher

Ok... there were 8 patches:

15:31 | 608 MB
15:37 | 301 MB
15:40 |   47 MB
15:41 |     2 MB
15:41 |   48 MB
15:41 | 380 MB
15:45 |   62 MB
15:46 |   13 MB
---------------------
          1461 MB

Took 15 minutes including installation on a 30 Mbps connection.

a few weeks ago when I decided to play GT5 again and had to download every patch released since last december I think it took about a hour on my shitty (but standard in this country) 3mb connection,

Then 2 weeks later we finally changed ISP's and I am on the sweet and sexy 25mb fiber stuff and I could have done it in 10 minutes.

Still I would buy a patched up spec II re release out of connivance more then anything. I dont want to waste time doing all that again.

I have 15mbps Comcast where I regularly get 20mbps speed (2MB/sec downloads) from my many computers and a friend's XBox 360. Any content from PSN typically comes down at 1-3mbps. Getting mandatory system updates and GT patches is frustrating.

Angst

Adelor Lyon said:
I have 15mbps Comcast where I regularly get 20mbps speed (2MB/sec downloads) from my many computers and a friend's XBox 360. Any content from PSN typically comes down at 1-3mbps. Getting mandatory system updates and GT patches is frustrating.
Make a sandwich?

;)

The Mercedes Competition brings back the joy of people going after times. Elder in japan already got a 13´9, and the best times in Europe (14´0) and America (14´4) are not that far off.

Shame you have to go through the website to see the worldwide table. Most of the top GT players are giving this one a go.

Can´t wait to try some more tonight.

Angst

seattle6418 said:
The Mercedes Competition brings back the joy of people going after times. Elder in japan already got a 13´9, and the best times in Europe (14´0) and America (14´4) are not that far off.

Shame you have to go through the website to see the worldwide table. Most of the top GT players are giving this one a go.

Can´t wait to try some more tonight.
No cheating in the top 10? Kaz seemed to be complaining about people taking shortcuts in a tweet earlier today. Or maybe he didn't.... Google translate isn't all that good for Japanese.

Angst said:
No cheating in the top 10? Kaz seemed to be complaining about people taking shortcuts in a tweet earlier today. Or maybe he didn't.... Google translate isn't all that good for Japanese.
Hey if coulthard can do it so can we.

6for8

Angst said:

I have watched a few replays and they all cut the curb at Chicago. The #1 time was the cleanest of the drivers but he is Canadian.

I am not too familiar with UK TopGear so not certain of all the corners names. It's the wide turn around some tires before Hammerhead.

There's some pretty blatant cheating going on with the top times. Drivers cutting alot at the first right at the tyre wall, massive corner cutting and no invalidated lap.

I got GT5 about 2 weeks ago and I'm loving it. I kind of cheated by doing seasonal races but I'm up to level 28 already. Anyways, any good tuning advice for the Nascar races in A-Spec mode? I keep getting smoked.

Angst

samus4ever said:
I got GT5 about 2 weeks ago and I'm loving it. I kind of cheated by doing seasonal races but I'm up to level 28 already. Anyways, any good tuning advice for the Nascar races in A-Spec mode? I keep getting smoked.
Turn of Skid Force Recovery and all other "aids" and you'll go much faster. Or did they patch it so you can't turn it off? Maybe that was just for the Special event?

If you already have all aids off, it's just a matter of using slipstream like crazy. Hold back on the last lap so you can do a slipstream overtake on the exit of the final corner. Or you could cheat by running the car a lot so you get engine break-in and thus 5-10 % extra BHP.

offshore

You should win the road course races easily in NASCAR A-Spec. I think I won by about 20 seconds in the every road race. Do an oil change.

Gynoug79

Angst said:
Turn of Skid Force Recovery and all other "aids" and you'll go much faster. Or did they patch it so you can't turn it off? Maybe that was just for the Special event?

If you already have all aids off, it's just a matter of using slipstream like crazy. Hold back on the last lap so you can do a slipstream overtake on the exit of the final corner. Or you could cheat by running the car a lot so you get engine break-in and thus 5-10 % extra BHP.

you need to set the ABS to off, its the only way to turn off the forced ASM irc...

Thanks for the replies. I will try the suggestions. I've only done the road courses in seasonal events mode but they were pretty easy. I only tried the Daytona race so far in A-Spec. My boy Jeff Gordon's car felt so weak in that race. I get up front and next lap they all pass me. I seemed to be topping off around 196 on the straights.

Metalmurphy said:
To be fair, even Coulthard cheated on the real track.

Yeah, that was also funny. Even without the shortcut before T1, people would still be almost 2 seconds faster, which is about OK considering Coulthard only drove a bunch of laps and people on videogames can restart at their will.

The real question to me is this: if regular cars come equiped with the right tires to simulate real life performance, then i don´t get why the SLS was downgraded from S1 tires to N3.

If the games physics are set up to simulate times with confort tires, then they should change the standard tires on every normal car in the game.

seattle6418 said:
Yeah, that was also funny. Even without the shortcut before T1, people would still be almost 2 seconds faster, which is about OK considering Coulthard only drove a bunch of laps and people on videogames can restart at their will.

The real question to me is this: if regular cars come equiped with the right tires to simulate real life performance, then i don´t get why the SLS was downgraded from S1 tires to N3.

If the games physics are set up to simulate times with confort tires, then they should change the standard tires on every normal car in the game.

Could have been a last minute change to simulate the wet track.

theRizzle

How much improved is the game with patches? I guess the better question is, how good/bad/horrible is it without the patches?

I only ask because I have a 128k burst satellite internet connection, and it would literally take at least a week for me to download 1.5 gigs, and that's assuming that it doesn't cut out, so I'm not quite sure it's feasible.

Angst

theRizzle said:
How much improved is the game with patches? I guess the better question is, how good/bad/horrible is it without the patches?

I only ask because I have a 128k burst satellite internet connection, and it would literally take at least a week for me to download 1.5 gigs, and that's assuming that it doesn't cut out, so I'm not quite sure it's feasible.
I'd say it's loads better now, in fact, I would hate to have to go back to 1.0.

Can't you bring your PS3 to someone / somewhere with faster internet and patch it up there?

Top Bottom