• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

RotBot

Anybody want a 50% off one item at the Logitech store coupon? You can get the G27 for $150 or the Driving Force GT for $75.

I'd like to have this go towards someone's wheel, so under the honor system, please confirm you're not going to buy something like a keyboard or speakers with it. First to quote telling me what they're going to buy gets it.

You'll have to use it by the end of today, Sept 14.

offshore

theRizzle said:
and it would literally take at least a week for me to download 1.5 gigs
Suddenly, mine taking 2 and a half hours doesn't seem so bad :lol

Yikes. But yeah, like Angst says, it's a lot better now. If you can take your PS3 somewhere to update it, I would....even if it's just to experience the Ring with no HUD.

spats said:
No Spec II, no GTVita.

Luckily my body was prepared.

No nothing.

"The process of moving the staff from one citi to another is complicated and takes a lot of time. We will move when it´s ready, when i feel satisfied with the moving".

:(

spats

seattle6418 said:
No nothing.

"The process of moving the staff from one citi to another is complicated and takes a lot of time. We will move when it´s ready, when i feel satisfied with the moving".

:(

lowered-expectations.jpg

Angst

brotkasten said:
Honestly, I didn't expect anything for TGS, but I'm still disappointed. How does that even work? :lol
I expected nothing, but hoped for something...

To be positive, Sony probably wanted the spot light to be on Vita and didn't think DLC for GT was worth talking about at the conference. If we get DLC I expect the only marketing they'll do is a weird tweet from Kaz followed by real info on gran-turismo.com.

Well, i expected something.

Really, it´s about time they patch on to the game some of the things they promissed.

Before metalmurphy and i start our leaderboard ongoing discussion, i´ll throw in another feature we´re waiting:

Matchmaking.

It´s 2011 PD.

Two thousand and eleven!

CozMick

Banned
Why can't PD just tell us straight if DLC is in production?

I'm sick of these guessing games. :\

seattle6418 said:

Really, it´s about time they patch on to the game some of the things they promissed.

Before metalmurphy and i start our leaderboard ongoing discussion, i´ll throw in another feature we´re waiting:

Matchmaking.

It´s 2011 PD.

Two thousand and eleven!

Matchmaking sucked ass in Forza 3 and nearly destroyed the online portion of the game.

Lobbies in GT5 work fine imo.

theRizzle

Angst said:
I'd say it's loads better now, in fact, I would hate to have to go back to 1.0.

Can't you bring your PS3 to someone / somewhere with faster internet and patch it up there?

Thanks, I figured as much.

Unfortunately, the only way I would be able to do that is probably going to cost me the same cost of the game.

I live just under the Arctic Circle in a highly remote area (for work, not by choice), so there is no highspeed residential broadband access whatsoever. The fastest connection available up here is 2.0 Mbps, and that costs 250 bucks a month. I could bring it over to a friend's, whose internet is slightly faster than mine, but capped a 3gb a month. It would cost $60 to up it to 5gb a month, so I guess that would cover the patches.

Oh well, it's probably going to end up being worth it, so I will probably do that. You sort of forget the value of money when you pay over forty bucks for 12 cans of pop and a 4L jug of milk.

Angst

seattle6418 said:

Matchmaking.

It´s 2011 PD.

Two thousand and eleven!
Matchmaking - meh, not something I'd use much. Events like in Prologue though - I might use those.

Dibbz

Angst said:
Matchmaking - meh, not something I'd use much. Events like in Prologue though - I might use those.
Seasonal Events but online. That would be huge for me. Every week new events to race with strict rules and limited cars to choose from.

CozMick said:

Matchmaking sucked ass in Forza 3 and nearly destroyed the online portion of the game.

Hoppers nearly destroyed it. Matchmaking has it's redeeming values when implemented right.

CozMick said:

I was thinking as an extra option.

If you want to go to a specific lobby, cool, search lobbies. But if you just want to race, matchmaking. It´s simple.

Mobius 1

Dibbz said:
Seasonal Events but online. That would be huge for me. Every week new events to race with strict rules and limited cars to choose from.
This. Even let you create your own seasonals too, and save them as presets. The settings are already there

amar212

So, these are the news for today:

- GT5: Prologue services are being officially terminated on 30th September as planned by revisioned schedule:

Please note the online services for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue will be closing as of September 30th, 2011. The exact time will vary according to your country and region of residence.

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/d33114.html

and

- David Coulthard's Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Top Gear Test Track Time Trial has been revisioned in its dates too.

Period of Availability: 2011/09/05 15:20 - 2011/09/26 23:59

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/products/gt5/event/d32466.html

As I can recall from initial schedule, it should have expire on 29th September.

Hmmm.

gran-turismo-5-discs-being-pressed-for-upcoming-release-_2.jpg

Angst

They have also updated the seasonal events:

http://www.gtplanet.net/mini-coopers-featured-in-latest-gt5-seasonal-event/

GTPlanet said:
The latest GT5 Seasonal Event has just gone live, featuring one of the world’s favorite cars: the Mini! Races take place at the following locations, with no tire restrictions and are open to Minis with a maximum of 450PP:

Tsukuba (5 laps, 335,700 Cr.)
London (5 laps, 303,000 Cr.)
Trial Mountain (5 laps, 383,700 Cr.)
Autumn Ring Mini (7 laps, 297,900 Cr.)
Eifel Kart Track (5 laps, 391,500 Cr.)

The pain continues. To think that at some point in my life I was expecting DLC within weeks of the initial launch. I told myself, "they would have to be the dumbest developers in the world to not release DLC for a game that is perfectly formatted for it and such a popular franchise."

PD, exceeding expectations...the wrong way.

magawolaz

Talking about Mini...

Where is this Mini Race Car?

gt504-small.jpg

(old press shot by PD)

Looks really nice. I don't know why PD didn't include this version in the game.
DLC?

magawolaz said:
Talking about Mini...

gt504-small.jpg

(old press shot by PD)

DLC?

It was customization, and aparently some parts didn´t make into the final game.

I had no ideia why, because it looked good and would be usefull in a lot of cars.

seattle6418 said:
That´s great news.

I was afraid they would postpone this another time, but good to see they are following the schedule.

Hopefully there will be an update by then.

seattle6418, common, say it with me:
"We're not getting leaderboards!"

You know it's true.

I will eat my G27 box if it happens outside of a big Spec II like expantion.

Metalmurphy said:
seattle6418, common, say it with me:
"We're not getting leaderboards!"

You know it's true.

I will eat my G27 box if it happens outside of a big Spec II like expantion.

OK, we have a deal, but let´s not stablish a date in september because they promissed content updates in october and november.

I still think it´s going to happen, and i´m willing to eat some cardbox too if it doesn´t.

Mxrz

So it has been nearly a year, I'm thinking of finishing up A & B spec. I've mostly stuck to Seasonals since they were added. But I still can't drive an F1 car for flip with a DS3, and B spec Historic / Côte d'Azur is still the same bitch it was last Nov, suppose I need a really high level driver.

offshore

In the current Mercedes-Benz Driving Event from the online events section of Gran Turismo, it has been noted that it is possible to shorten laptimes by driving a line that is not intended to be a part of the track layout.

Due to this, we have decided to perform an update that would adjust the areas where driving is disallowed on the Top Gear Test Track, reset the rankings, extend the event duration, and redistribute the event.

We sincerely apologise to those who have already participated in the event, and ask for your patience and understanding.
http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/d33165.html

It's like they're not even playing the game. That shortcut has been there since release.

magawolaz

seattle6418 said:
It was customization, and aparently some parts didn´t make into the final game.

I had no ideia why, because it looked good and would be usefull in a lot of cars.
Yeah, I'd love to have a livery editor/customization. Or just the opportunity to apply sponsors.

offshore said:
http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/d33165.html

It's like they're not even playing the game. That shortcut has been there since release.
And that's why we don't have leaderboards. They should fix all tracks (shortcuts and glitches) and then maybe we can talk about leaderboards.

magawolaz said:
Talking about Mini...

DLC?

What ticks me off is that Mini highly promotes, and sells, customization of their cars yet in GT you can't even put a friggen wing on the car. And the 07 doesn't even have contrasting roof and mirror colors. Furthermore, the 05 premium is of shitty quality with polys that are more squared off than some of the other cars in the game. And how in the world can there not be a classic Mini premium?

Angst

seattle6418 said:
Ten bucks they will fix the corner cutting but won´t fix the bug that lets you reverse before the start of the first lap to get a better launch speed.

If that happens it will be yet another huge facepalm.

Does that really matter? You can just do several laps anyway?

magawolaz

Spectral Glider said:
What ticks me off is that Mini highly promotes, and sells, customization of their cars yet in GT you can't even put a friggen wing on the car. And the 07 doesn't even have contrasting roof and mirror colors. Furthermore, the 05 premium is of shitty quality with polys that are more squared off than some of the other cars in the game. And how in the world can there not be a classic Mini premium?
Indeed... By the way, I love classic cars, and there are some of these (E-Type and Classic Race Cars above all) that don't deserve to be standard.

seattle6418 said:
Ten bucks they will fix the corner cutting but won´t fix the bug that lets you reverse before the start of the first lap to get a better launch speed.

...and another patch in a couple of days.

seattle6418 said:

Who the hell sets their best time on the first lap with cold tires? :p

elohel

RotBot said:
Anybody want a 50% off one item at the Logitech store coupon? You can get the G27 for $150 or the Driving Force GT for $75.

I'd like to have this go towards someone's wheel, so under the honor system, please confirm you're not going to buy something like a keyboard or speakers with it. First to quote telling me what they're going to buy gets it.

You'll have to use it by the end of today, Sept 14.

lol did anyone use this?

sweet. as part of fixing people cutting corners on the TGTT challenge they added more cones on the inside corner of Chicago so you can turn early and one on the fallow through so you cant cut the grass after the tirewall.

the top gear track REALLY didnt need more cones.

Also the new line was there for the TGTT special events as well..... didnt know they could add things like that without a patch.

spats

Each year at SEMA in Las Vegas, Sony hosts the “Gran Turismo Awards” – a competition with one very important judge (Kazunori Yamauchi), who selects a car on display at the show for inclusion in a GT game.

The Awards have brought some interesting color and variety to car lists over the years, including Art Morrison’s 1960 Corvette and the late JR Rocha’s heavily-customized Infiniti G37, and it’s now time to add another car to GT‘s roster. If you’re presenting a car at SEMA 2011 (or know someone who is), fill out the official entry form and Kazunori will come calling. The winner will be revealed at the Awards party on November 3, 2011.

For the rest of us wondering when we’ll get to virtually thrash the eventual winner, Sony’s entry form offers some conflicting clues. The form’s main page claims the winner will be included in a “future edition of Gran Turismo“, while the official rules clearly state ”the winner’s vehicle will be digitally recreated and will appear in Gran Turismo 5 for the PlayStation 3 system.” As usual, we’ll just have to wait and see.

http://www.gtplanet.net/get-your-car-in-gran-turismo-at-the-2011-gt-awards/

I wonder if my bone stock 2001 Avensis would stand a chance.

Angst

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but you can assist the FOV manually. Sure, you can use the Normal, narrow etc in the in-game menu, but you can adjust it to a finer degree in the options now. It's sort of hidden though:

Options, multi-screen, tick off 1x1 and then there's a slider for the FOV or perhaps it's called view angle or something like that. I've set mine at 95 % and I think it's better than the default settings.

You have to tick of server as well in the multi-monitor screen.

Angst said:
I don't know if this is common knowledge, but you can assist the FOV manually. Sure, you can use the Normal, narrow etc in the in-game menu, but you can adjust it to a finer degree in the options now. It's sort of hidden though:

Options, multi-screen, tick off 1x1 and then there's a slider for the FOV or perhaps it's called view angle or something like that. I've set mine at 95 % and I think it's better than the default settings.

:O

amar212

Angst said:

WT...? Thanx Angst, this will be the first thing to tackle when I come home later today.

Angst

It's a shame that the camera position is different in different cars though. In the Lambo the camera is on top of the steering wheel, grandma-style, but in most cars it's at a better position. I just wish they allowed us to slide the seat (camera) back and forth.

Only games I can remember that allowed that are GTR2 and GT Legends. For some reason they removed it from the later iterations.

EDIT - I take no credit for the idea, someone at GTP mentioned it. They were rather vague though.

Melfice7

I'm 2 trophies away from platinum right now, 1000 cars (got 870) and getting to lvl 40 A-Spec (38) and god damn how annoying it is to buy cars in this game.. "click buy, wait for stupid animation, want to use the car? yes no, loading, back to main menu.." this sucks so much when we want to buy lots of cars.

Why isn't there a add to basket icon to buy a bunch of them at the same time? do it PD -.-

Top Bottom