• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

-Amon- said:

indeed

djsrg.jpg

when not masked by blur a premium car sticks out like a sore thumb in these environments. ps2 quality textures, 2d vegetation/trees, crude use of low quality photos to cap the end of their modelling area - nothing but embarrassing. with the size of these areas you would have thought they'd have some sort of quality control.

if they can't bump up the surroundings they should at least upgrade the road/paved/cobbled surfaces.

shit is just wow!

CVQgz.jpg

Angst

"The car, not the color. #gt5 RT @burnout_pt: @Kaz_Yamauchi I'm not sure which one you'll be giving away. The color, or the car? Thanks...."

From Kaz' tweet feed. Told you so.

Last day for the Mercedes Challenge.

I´m happy i got to 1´14´907 last night.

Hopefully they will give some prizes to the top finishers...

wink wink FREE DLC wink wink

seattle6418 said:

I´m happy i got to 1´14´907 last night.

Hopefully they will give some prizes to the top finishers...

wink wink FREE DLC wink wink

What the fuck?

Is that with some corner cutting or what? Did they change settings since the last time?

Metalmurphy said:
What the fuck?

Is that with some corner cutting or what? Did they change settings since the last time?

They cleaned the leaderboards to prevent the corner cutting, so the laps now are clean, after the latest patch. It´s 0´3 off the top spot in america, but 0´7 off Eddskill´s time.

seattle6418 said:
They cleaned the leaderboards to prevent the corner cutting, so the laps now are clean, after the latest patch. It´s 0´3 off the top spot in america, but 0´7 off Eddskill´s time.

Well, I checked the Eddskill lap, there's still some cutting going on, specially on the Hammerhead... but still oO Those are insane times, they were at 1:15 before they reseted and it's even lower now, wat.

offshore

seattle6418 said:
Fucking hell.

I've missed out on the Jeff Gordon event and this Mercedes time trial....why the fuck does it take Sony so long to send discs back :/ Why can't they just keep both events open?

krioto

Wax Free Vanilla said:
indeed
When not masked by blur a premium car sticks out like a sore thumb in these environments. ps2 quality textures, 2d vegetation/trees, crude use of low quality photos to cap the end of their modelling area - nothing but embarrassing. with the size of these areas you would have thought they'd have some sort of quality control.
if they can't bump up the surroundings they should at least upgrade the road/paved/cobbled surfaces.
shit is just wow!

please don't take this the wrong way, but you're an idiot.

Metalmurphy said:
You mean textures look worst when you zoom on them?

you can still zoom in and have good looking texture work:

0zGYn.jpg

compare the cobbles to the brickyard... maybe polyphony should have removed the zoom lens from photo travel? the quality is fucking atrocious for a mode that should represent the highest quality of both vehicle and environment.

In a perfect world you could also have 16MBx16MB textures, yet you never do.

Also that angle is looking to the texture from above, not like the 2 other shots u posted. When there's no bumpmapping whatsoever in the textures they're always gonna look better when looking directly at them.

Is that Piazza del Campo or another game?

Dead Man

So, the current special event has made me realise how few 90's Japanese cars are premiums. It seems they picked all the '89 or '00 models to make premium. Bugger.

Dead Man said:
So, the current special event has made me realise how few 90's Japanese cars are premiums. It seems they picked all the '89 or '00 models to make premium. Bugger.
A premium AE86 was all I ever wanted and they couldn't give me even that one. :(

Metalmurphy said:
In a perfect world you could also have 16MBx16MB textures, yet you never do.

Also that angle is looking to the texture from above, not like the 2 other shots u posted. When there's no bumpmapping whatsoever in the textures they're always gonna look better when looking directly at them.

Is that Piazza del Campo or another game?

that's from nascar the game.

polyphony can do it - ahrweiler:
zySCK.jpg

either side of the gate and the bottom one looks like it's straight from a budget ps2 game. they need to up the texture quality to the top level for everything in old and any new locations for photo travel.

Well I stepped out of the virtual racing world and went to my first Le Mans racing event today. Was pretty sweet seeing Road Atlanta in real life for the first time after playing it virtually so many times. I need to get the Audi R18 in GT and if it's not in it it needs to be DLC. Super sweet car and really really quite. I really want to drive all those cars now in GT5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhWOQDopiNw

KingDizzi

Banned
Stuck in GT5 to get the latest patch so I'd be ready for the Spec II update........YLOD. -_-

Of all the fucking times for it to happen, was on no problem but soon as the disc went in the console died. Took the console apart to get my GT5 disc and in the process the disc got a dent it in (-_-) so it's not been a good fucking day. Very upset that a console that cost me over £400 had so many problems but that's life I guess.

Not picking up another PS3 simply because I can't see the PS4 being more than 1-2 years away so really no point in dropping £200 for now. Seems a much better idea to me to put that £200 on one side for something like Wii U, a new console. If that Spec II update is anywhere near what I'm expecting my non-PS3 days will be tough. :(

rvy

Banned
KingDizzi said:
Stuck in GT5 to get the latest patch so I'd be ready for the Spec II update........YLOD. -_-

Of all the fucking times for it to happen, was on no problem but soon as the disc went in the console died. Took the console apart to get my GT5 disc and in the process the disc got a dent it in (-_-) so it's not been a good fucking day. Very upset that a console that cost me over £400 had so many problems but that's life I guess.

Not picking up another PS3 simply because I can't see the PS4 being more than 1-2 years away so really no point in dropping £200 for now. Seems a much better idea to me to put that £200 on one side for something like Wii U, a new console. If that Spec II update is anywhere near what I'm expecting my non-PS3 days will be tough. :(
What if the PS4 isn't B/C?

offshore

KingDizzi said:
If that Spec II update is anywhere near what I'm expecting
It probably won't. Some poeple are setting themselves up for spectacular disappointment.

Me, all I want is time/weather for offline and unrestricted and unlocked paint chips. Anything else is a bonus for me. I'm not even interested in extra cars or tracks. I didn't even think there would be DLC, so I'm interested to see what the DLC is.

KingDizzi

Banned
Yeah I really am expecting way too much from Spec II and in reality probably won't get even half the stuff. GT5:p was a work in progress so adding new tracks and cars was easy to do but that won't be the case with GT5. In terms of the PS4 not having backwards compatibility, could not care less in all honesty. Love Sony first party games but don't see missing some of their games as anything major and for multiplat games there will be Wii U and Vita. Might as well put my money towards those. :)

I'm fully expecting GT Vita, GT6 for PS4 and find GT5 a very mediocre game so yeah, while I'll miss out, Spec II is not something I'm going to buy another PS3 over. Still though, Spec II does make me very hopeful that GT6 ain't gonna be on PS3.

offshore

I can't see GT6 on PS3. GT5 is crippled because PS3 is crippled, so no use developing on PS3 again. Just hope Sony give PD the hardware they need next time. Looking at Forza 4, the threat has never been more serious for PD. It used to be easy telling Forza and GT games apart...not that easy any more. PD still ahead, but not by much.

But given how Spec II conveniently releases around the time of FM4, it at least seems as if they finally recognise that threat, and hopefully Kaz won't just play Forza 4 for "a little bit", but will instead play the hell out of it. Already the early custom liveries appearing from Forza 4 is making me jealous :(

tusken77

KingDizzi said:
Yeah I really am expecting way too much from Spec II and in reality probably won't get even half the stuff. GT5:p was a work in progress so adding new tracks and cars was easy to do but that won't be the case with GT5. In terms of the PS4 not having backwards compatibility, could not care less in all honesty. Love Sony first party games but don't see missing some of their games as anything major and for multiplat games there will be Wii U and Vita. Might as well put my money towards those. :)

I'm fully expecting GT Vita, GT6 for PS4 and find GT5 a very mediocre game so yeah, while I'll miss out, Spec II is not something I'm going to buy another PS3 over. Still though, Spec II does make me very hopeful that GT6 ain't gonna be on PS3.

GT5 is far from mediocre. It's awesome.

You're buying a ....Wii U?

Niks

offshore said:
I can't see GT6 on PS3. GT5 is crippled because PS3 is crippled, so no use developing on PS3 again. Just hope Sony give PD the hardware they need next time. Looking at Forza 4, the threat has never been more serious for PD. It used to be easy telling Forza and GT games apart...not that easy any more. PD still ahead, but not by much.

But given how Spec II conveniently releases around the time of FM4, it at least seems as if they finally recognise that threat, and hopefully Kaz won't just play Forza 4 for "a little bit", but will instead play the hell out of it. Already the early custom liveries appearing from Forza 4 is making me jealous :(

PD models and lighting engine are still way superior than Forzas 4 efforts IMO.
Now that they have the models and the lighting engine down, PD can focus their time and energy on other parts of the game for GT6. (tracks, gameplay, and fixing and polishing GT5 faults).

Kaz said:
“The level of precision we’ve achieved [in GT5] is actually more suited to the next generation of machines. The detail that goes into a premium model [has] gone beyond the level of the current PlayStation.”

Kaz said:
“You won’t have to wait as long as you did for GT5. GT5 was basically the creation of a whole new operating system, and developing GT6 will be like adding new applications that run on that new operating system.”

I expect GT6 on PS4 on 2-3 years.

KingDizzi

Banned
Still don't think PD give a shit about Forza and hope it stays that way for the most part, especially so with game mechanics. There is nothing Forza 4 will have that I would want in the GT games, drawing on cars in Forza seems to be popular stuff but shit like Homer Simpson drawn on a 458 italia? Bleh. Would like PD to be as efficient as Turn 10 though.

I disagree, expected so much more from GT5 and GT PSP but they were immense letdowns. Reason I still hope GT5 continues to do well is the amount of support PD have given, Spec II releasing almost a year after release is fucking good. I'm someone that rents games (besides GT, Nomura games and MH) so it's simply the initial investment and then that's it. Wii U is the next generation of Nintendo consoles, would much rather put my £200 towards that rather than another PS3 especially so when PS4 has got to be coming relatively soon.

Who knows with Spec II, it might be significant. Not a fan of GT5 but many of the issues I have are technical. The weather being lulz, tearing, load times etc are my biggest issues and that should be fixed with PS4. Then there is A and B spec...........

Melfice7

offshore said:
I can't see GT6 on PS3. GT5 is crippled because PS3 is crippled, so no use developing on PS3 again.

You honestly saying that GT cant be optimized/improved on PS3? It was the first PD game on PS3 afterall..

Did you said the same when Forza 2 released? that they should just wait for next gen instead of optimizing over time to Forza 4 level?

AndyD

aka andydumi
KingDizzi said:
Would like PD to be as efficient as Turn 10 though.

If nothing else, this.

Melfice7 said:
You honestly saying that GT cant be optimized/improved on PS3? It was the first PD game on PS3 afterall..
It can, but will it be in time? And would we rather they release a second game at the end og PS3 life so we can wait years into PS4? At what point do they switch to PS4 development and abandond PS3? Have they already?

Melfice7

AndyD said:
It can, but will it be in time? And would we rather they release a second game at the end og PS3 life so we can wait years into PS4? At what point do they switch to PS4 development and abandond PS3? Have they already?

You think Sony is gonna throw a 60 million userbase away to make GT6 on PS4 with no guarantees of success? This generation showed us the industry is fucked up and nothing is easily predictable anymore

Melfice7 said:
You think Sony is gonna throw a 60 million userbase away to make GT6 on PS4 with no guarantees of success? This generation showed us the industry is fucked up and nothing is easily predictable anymore

I think it's something that they just have to weigh. GT6 on the PS3 means that they're going to have to wait longer for GT7 on the PS4. Is that worth it? They don't have another series that's as big as GT.

KingDizzi

Banned
Releasing a mainline GT at launch of the PS4 will be considerably more beneficial to Sony than releasing it on the PS3. GT is still a beast and would propel sales at least in EU, last figures we got for GT5 were 6 million so it must be over 7 by now. Sony could easily release a ton of DLC for GT5 and it will do well. GT + DLC = $$$$

So money wise PD would do fine just releasing DLC for GT5. GT is the only biggie Sony has, why not use it? People on GTPlanet don't like the notion of PD making GT Vita but again it makes so much sense financially, would propel Vita sales in EU by quite a bit. Huge games like GT that sell consoles are very important for console manufacturers........because they sell consoles. GT gets consoles into homes and people keep buying games for the system.

GT5 is meh, I honestly can't see how anyone could say any different. Just want to see what PD can do with Vita and PS4, GT5 has improved since release so I've got my hopes up!

AndyD

aka andydumi
What I meant is that if gt6 takes so much time to develop again, Sony might want it to be out close to day 1 on PS4, to grow that userbase right out of the gate.

If I were at Sony and I saw it took 5 years to make GT5, and they are struggling to keep it alive, 1 year gone with no DLC, and many many fixes still on the players wishlists, if PD came and asked for money I would be seriously thinking do I make this for PS3 or make it for PS4. Even if it takes 3 years, that's fall of 2013, likely when PS4 will come out.

I think put out a little DLC here and there to keep the fans interested in GT5, then put GT6 at launch of PS4. I guess my view might change based on what they reveal as Spec 2 and DLC this fall, but based on what I have seen so far, I am not too optimistic.

I wish PD had a solid competitor on PS3 to light a little fire under their seats.

Melfice7 said:

Pretty much. There's absolutely no way GT6 isn't going to be on PS3.

KingDizzi said:
GT5 is meh, I honestly can't see how anyone could say any different. Just want to see what PD can do with Vita and PS4, GT5 has improved since release so I've got my hopes up!

GT5 hasn't left my PS3 drive since it released. I've been playing it constantly for almost 1 freaking year. It's gonna leave for the first time for Uncharted 3. So yeah, GT5 is anything but "meh".

KingDizzi said:
GT5 is meh, I honestly can't see how anyone could say any different.

Because it's a driving game and its tracks and physics engine are second to none.

KingDizzi said:
Just want to see what PD can do with Vita and PS4, GT5 has improved since release so I've got my hopes up!

I still don't get this. What is the appeal of having PD spend time working on a Vita version? It's inferior hardware to the PS3, a system that already struggle to handle GT. It's also a system that doesn't work with a steering wheel, and that's what really makes PD's engine shine. So why would anyone want PD making a GT for it?

AndyD

aka andydumi
SolidSnakex said:
Because it's a driving game and its tracks and physics engine are second to none.

I still don't get this. What is the appeal of having PD spend time working on a Vita version? It's inferior hardware to the PS3, a system that already struggle to handle GT. It's also a system that doesn't work with a steering wheel, and that's what really makes PD's engine shine. So why would anyone want PD making a GT for it?

Reduce the resolution and AA/AF and its pretty much ready. And redo the menus of course. The question is whether Vita will get GT5 or 6.

tusken77

KingDizzi said:
GT5 is meh, I honestly can't see how anyone could say any different.

You must not like cars and driving if you consider GT5 "meh". It has flaws but it's still an awesome, awesome game. 2.0 will only make it even better.

PS3s are £190 now. In my opinion, that's the best 190 quid you can spend in gaming. But, enjoy your, uh, Wii U, I guess.

KingDizzi

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

Yeah no shit. Too bad the load times, tech performance and A/B Spec are so fucking poor that it makes the game unplayable at times. I'm not one of those people that care too much about performance and specs but seeing as though I was able to see the piss poor framerate problems and tearing, PD did bad.

While there were many many technical problems, there were also serious design choice issues as well. GT PSP was piss poor but personally want a good portable GT game more than anything. I don't give a fuck that people on GTPlanet don't play GT games on a portable, fact is that many do, look at the sales figures of what the turd GT PSP sold. You seem to be very console centric but have to realise many people aren't, GT Vita is what I want more than any other game out there. PD are bulking up right? No excuses, also what Yoshida said makes a GT Vita almost a given so whatever, deal with it.

GT Vita with a revamped A/B Spec and full on online would make me more happy than any GT console game. Don't see why people don't want a GT game on the go, would be mint for someone like me to have a lecture and then play a little bit during a 4 hour break.

tusken77 said:
You must not like cars and driving if you consider GT5 "meh". It has flaws but it's still an awesome, awesome game. 2.0 will only make it even better.

PS3s are £190 now. In my opinion, that's the best 190 quid you can spend in gaming. But, enjoy your, uh, Wii U, I guess.

I've had a lot of fun with the PS3, enjoyed many games and like I said will get a PS3 again is we don't get a hint of PS4 at E3. Will put that £190 as I said towards a Wii U so thanks, I will enjoy the fuck out of it and later the PS4. :D

tusken77

KingDizzi said:
Yeah no shit. Too bad the load times, tech performance and A/B Spec are so fucking poor that it makes the game unplayable at times. I'm not one of those people that care too much about performance and specs but seeing as though I was able to see the piss poor framerate problems and tearing, PD did bad.

Unplayable? Really? You're crazy.

KingDizzi said:
GT Vita with a revamped A/B Spec and full on online would make me more happy than any GT console game. Don't see why people don't want a GT game on the go, would be mint for someone like me to have a lecture and then play a little bit during a 4 hour break.

You'd rather play a GT on the go than the full GT console experience? Really? You're crazy.

Niks

Melfice7 said:

Metalmurphy said:
Pretty much. There's absolutely no way GT6 isn't going to be on PS3.

I disagree completely.
What do you mean, no guarantees of success? If, anything GT is one of the franchises that will sell no matter what. GT has proven to be a system seller in the past. It would benefit Sony a lot to have GT6 on the first year of the PS4.

Whats better for Sony from a business point of view, GT6 on ps3 that will move the same or maybe less copies than GT5? Or sell 2 million copies and systems on the PS4 in its first year?

Also what do you mean throw away a 60 million userbase? that's what DLC is for?

AndyD

aka andydumi
tusken77 said:
You'd rather play a GT on the go than the full GT console experience? Really? You're crazy.

I think he means there's times and room for both. And sales of the previous mobile version show that it's viable. Sure people would prefer to play on a console, but if you are on the go, on a portable is better than nothing.

tusken77

AndyD said:
I think he means there's times and room for both. And sales of the previous mobile version show that it's viable. Sure people would prefer to play on a console, but if you are on the go, on a portable is better than nothing.

Agreed, GT on the Vita would be sweet to have in addition to GT5 on PS3, and would be a seller. But he said "personally want a good portable GT game more than anything" and "GT Vita with a revamped A/B Spec and full on online would make me more happy than any GT console game", so I take that to mean he would rather have GT on a handheld than on a console/with wheel.

KingDizzi said:
While there were many many technical problems, there were also serious design choice issues as well. GT PSP was piss poor but personally want a good portable GT game more than anything. I don't give a fuck that people on GTPlanet don't play GT games on a portable, fact is that many do, look at the sales figures of what the turd GT PSP sold. You seem to be very console centric but have to realise many people aren't, GT Vita is what I want more than any other game out there. PD are bulking up right? No excuses, also what Yoshida said makes a GT Vita almost a given so whatever, deal with it.

Of course i'm console centric. The GT fanbase is console centric. They play on big TV's and many of them have wheels. I'd argue that GT games in general are console centric. They're about sitting down and tinkering with stuff while most handheld games tend to be about pick up and play stuff.

You've referred to GT PSP as "piss poor" and GT5 and "meh", so I don't get why you'd want the developer of those games to make a Vita version.

KingDizzi

Banned
tusken77 said:
Agreed, GT on the Vita would be sweet to have in addition to GT5 on PS3, and would be a seller. But he said "personally want a good portable GT game more than anything" and "GT Vita with a revamped A/B Spec and full on online would make me more happy than any GT console game", so I take that to mean he would rather have GT on a handheld than on a console/with wheel.

Yes you are correct, I want GT Vita more than a console game. Bit I have reasons for that, firstly I spend a whole lot of time in uni so don't have access to a PS3 when I actually have to time to play games. Having the likes of GT Vita where I pull it out for a few hours while out and play against other people online or career mode is something I dream of. At home we have one TV to fight over and it's unfair of me to hog the TV when I come home from uni when my sister wants to watch it, I can hardly complain since she pays the bills and has a far more stressful life then me. Want GT Vita and GT6 for PS4, care more for the former though.

SolidSnakex said:
Of course i'm console centric. The GT fanbase is console centric. They play on big TV's and many of them have wheels. I'd argue that GT games in general are console centric. They're about sitting down and tinkering with stuff while most handheld games tend to be about pick up and play stuff.

You've referred to GT PSP as "piss poor" and GT5 and "meh", so I don't get why you'd want the developer of those games to make a Vita version.

GT5 and GT PSP have been terrible experiences, simply terrible in comparison to what I was expecting. Would like to think of those games as little blips, loved all previous GT games so am still a fan of PD. I don't agree at all with your notion of GT fans being console centric, you must be taking about GTPlanet members. They are fucking rabid, if they represented the majority GT5 would be struggling to 20 sales and Forza 3 would be at 16 million by now. There is clearly a Market for the portable GT games, Kaz released a simply horrible handheld game and it still managed to sell a couple million. Now imagine if there are actual online and a career mode....would have done even better and that too on a system that is pretty much dead in terms of software in the west.

Not expecting GT Vita to be what GT5 should have been. If PD can't do weather on Vita leave it out, would expect so much more from PD though with GT Vita. Don't disappoint Kaz :/

The "next GT won't take as long" quote only applies if it's out on PS3. New console, new engine, unless they want to be lacking again.

GT6 will probably come out in 2 years, and definitively for the PS3.

Melfice7

SolidSnakex said:
I think it's something that they just have to weigh. GT6 on the PS3 means that they're going to have to wait longer for GT7 on the PS4. Is that worth it? They don't have another series that's as big as GT.

GT4 was released in 05, by that time im sure they could have started development on PS3 instead of releasing a second GT on PS2. A GT6 on PS3 will be easier for PD, will certainly have better quality on all aspects and will guarantee profit, it's just good business

edit: wow wow wow wheres that quote of me saying gt5 is meh and want to see what they can do with vita? i DID NOT SAY THAT i even hate portables, what the hell

edit 2: the hell murphy you misquote'd someone and put my name on it :p here i thought i had my account hijacked :p

Niks

Metalmurphy said:
The "next GT won't take as long" quote only applies if it's out on PS3. New console, new engine, unless they want to be lacking again.

GT6 will probably come out in 2 years, and definitively for the PS3.

I think the real question here is, when do you think the PS4 will be launched? If you think the PS3 still has 4+ years of life, then yeah, most likely there will be a GT6 for PS3.

Dibbz

There were rumors before the earthquake about a March 2012 date for their new project. This could be PS Vita related or could be PS3. I would rule out a launch title for PS4 though. I mean PS4 will sell day one regardless of GT. If anything it would be a waste for PD to do a launch title GT.

GT is the kind of game that helps explode what momentum is already there on the Playstation. Hype will be high for a new Sony home console without GT needing to be there.

Oh and to the guy saying GT 5 is unplayable. lol seriously you must be playing a different game. Offline may be lacking but the online side really is unmatched on consoles at the moment.

Melfice7 said:
edit: wow wow wow wheres that quote of me saying gt5 is meh and want to see what they can do with vita? i DID NOT SAY THAT i even hate portables, what the hell

edit 2: the hell murphy you misquote'd someone and put my name on it :p here i thought i had my account hijacked :p

oops, How did that happen? haha.

Niks said:
I think the real question here is, when do you think the PS4 will be launched? If you think the PS3 still has 4+ years of life, then yeah, most likely there will be a GT6 for PS3.
2014 would be my bet, with GT6 releasing either the same year or the year before.

Dead Man

Metalmurphy said:
oops, How did that happen? haha.

2014 would be my bet, with GT6 releasing either the same year or the year before.
I have no idea on whether GT6 will be on PS4 or 4, but I agree it will be out 2013/early 2014, and it will be on whatever system they have at that moment.

DonMigs85

GT6 on PS3 really seems unlikely, IMO. GT4 came out late 2004/early 2005, over a year and a half before PS3. We already have a huge number of cars and events and I don't think the graphics can get much better, so waiting for PS4 makes more sense.
We might also get a GT6 Prologue on PS4 again, with the actual game coming in 2015 or later.

Top Bottom