• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

CozMick

Banned
I'm level 20 and I have yet to get a trophy in any of the rally stages.

And it ain't even close, always 4th and around 6 seconds behind 1st place.

It makes no fucking sense :mad:

I'm using the DFGT with a Mini S, Ford Focus etc.................and nothing!!!

expy

Banned
CozMick said:

Try doing the Loeb challenges to get his car first.

NeoUltima

This games difficulty is so inconsistent. I feel like certain Series are horribly misplaced. For instance, European Championship in Extreme series...Opponent cars have less than 400 HP, yet you can use anything made in Europe. Used my Gallardo and I'm 20 seconds ahead after the first lap lol. And then you have the GT All Stars race in Expert Series, which is hard as hell.

Easy money though, so I can't complain.

-viper-

Banned
NeoUltima said:
This games difficulty is so inconsistent. I feel like certain Series are horribly misplaced. For instance, European Championship in Extreme series...Opponent cars have less than 400 HP, yet you can use anything made in Europe. Used my Gallardo and I'm 20 seconds ahead after the first lap lol. And then you have the GT All Stars race in Expert Series, which is hard as hell.

Easy money though, so I can't complain.
If you use a high powered car against 400hp cars, of course you're going to find it easier :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
er... dream championship is the last extreme race, yet with a decent car is about as easy as the European championship (i.e very easy)

Also, got to the nurburgring race, the preview of the course showed it was raining so I put intermediates on before the race started. I can only guess the other cars are driving around on racing hards because I'm completely 'cool' yet about half a lap ahead after one lap. And on the nurburgring thats a lot.

edit: Also, why does the 'pit' indicator keep coming on? I have strategy turned off, and didn't click anything myself? Shouldn't do it automatically.

CozMick said:

Have you tried the Lancia Integrale? I failed with the Focus but managed to get silver last night in one shot without running clean at all. The 4wd helps. Also turn of TCS.

spats

EL Beefo said:
My perfect recovery from a spin out, got to watch that grass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sodOfcz-Pg

b22eK.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
psychotext - I'm with you on the B-spec historic Cote d'azure course. Nightmare. I can get into 2nd but the bloody chaparral J always keeps ahead, he's just too fast out of slow corners (there are a lot on that track). I think that specific race is the most difficult in the b-spec game (I guess it might be easier if you have a chaparrel J yourself)

Tried playing with the transmission to get better acceleration, and max downforce but its not helping. I think it might just need doing a lot to hopefully get the Chaparrel stuck behind someone else and give me a chance to break away.

I'm also getting wary of overtaking coming out of the tunnel. Quite a few times I'll get nudged in to the barrier there and create a roadblock.

conman

cilonen said:
I thought they were easy too. The Toscana one was slightly tricky, Chamonix was less challenging than a walk in a stiff breeze but Eiger was pretty tough.

If you have driving line on ignore most of the breaking points, it's only really useful for big stops into hairpins or chicanes, oh and you don't need to beat the ghost car for the gold time - but do copy it's lines and use it as a guide.
Yeah, it's really just Eiger that's causing me problems. I refuse to move to the third event until I can conquer that bastard.

I don't use the driving line, so that's not an issue. Besides, rally events are much more about controlling your drift angle for maximum traction-to-speed ratio, so the driving line wouldn't really help. I could always cheat and turn on some assists, but I've gotten this far without them, so I'd hate to give in now.

Any general advice for Eiger in the Loeb challenge?

cilonen

conman said:
Yeah, it's really just Eiger that's causing me problems. I refuse to move to the third event until I can conquer that bastard.

I don't use the driving line, so that's not an issue. Besides, rally events are much more about controlling your drift angle for maximum traction-to-speed ratio, so the driving line wouldn't really help. I could always cheat and turn on some assists, but I've gotten this far without them, so I'd hate to give in now.

Any general advice for Eiger in the Loeb challenge?

Eiger I remember practicing nailing the first tricky chicane, braking at the last minute for the right hander at the top of the hill, then pushing really hard until almost feeling like tippy toeing through the downhill soft right-train line-hard left section, flat back up the hill through the sweeping right, firm breaking for the sharper right, then really cautious through the whole next snaking downhill section until the sharp right at the bottom of the hill. It's all about that first section, and especially keeping control on the long off camber downhill sweepers about a minute in, whilst still carrying speed. The only other 'gotcha!' bit in the second half of the lap is a vicious drop into the first tight hairpin right which it's easy to brake too late into - you may well be airborne at the point you realise you've carried too much speed in if it catches you out! From there it's fairly straightforward, although first couple of tries I found myself way too confident once I got back onto the tarmac near the end and carried too much speed coming out of the tunnel the first couple of tries. Good luck :)

Salacious Crumb

dwebo said:
God I hate that damn hill. Kept spinning out every time on it in those first sector trials, and you have to drive a minute just to try it again.

I think it's the most difficult corner on the ring, Stupid little hill making the car go light on entry. It's alright in cars with monstrously high down force though.

So in Gran Turismo Rally Intermediate I'm doing the first dirt race and I end up finishing 4 out of 5 races with a 12 second lead...only to spin out on the final race, get a barrier impact penalty and lose 16 seconds to fall into third place overall.

FUCK.

plainr_

Like the wind race:
A1wRr.jpg

That AI asshole slipstreamed my ass at the right moment.

EDIT: This race was easier than I thought. 5th try successful. :D

Neckbeard

So I picked up the Logitech GT Driving Force wheel, but I can't mount it. Thinking of building my own stand. Anyone have links to any guides or suggestions on materials/dimensions?

dwebo said:
God I hate that damn hill. Kept spinning out every time on it in those first sector trials, and you have to drive a minute just to try it again.
I agree, one of the hardest if not THE hardest turn in Nurburgring. You can see when you are supposed to start turning and the racing line indicates that you don't need to break (which you don't, if your driving line & cornering is PERFECT)

Neckbeard said:
So I picked up the Logitech GT Driving Force wheel, but I can't mount it. Thinking of building my own stand. Anyone have links to any guides or suggestions on materials/dimensions?

If you'd like a really cheap solution here's one I came across after looking for what seemed like months:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/100005/Height-Adjustable-Mobile-Laptop-Cart-33/

Just take off the wheels, don't bother mounting the table top itself and bam - you've got an awesome steering wheel mount.

If you have hardwood floors, just go out and get a couple stoppers on the cheap. If you're sitting at a couch - the legs slide perfectly under one and that way the stand doesn't move when you're playing the game :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
oh god finally yes.

B-spec historic cup Cote d'azur gold. Damn.

I think it was partly luck and a little playing with the tuning. Managed to get ahead of the chaparral J which is a bitch on this track on the first lap, and get a couple of cars between me and it. That seemed to give me some breathing space to pick the other cars off. Ended up winning with over 20 seconds to spare.

Such a relief. I was slowly leaning closer and closer to the TV as each lap passed, wincing in case my twatty driver crashed yet again into the corner coming out of the tunnel.

Here are my tuning stats for the Toyota 7, in case they are useful for you:

downforce - front 60, rear 80
transmission - max speed 168
ride height 0,0
spring rate - front 18, rear 20
anti roll - front 7, rear 7

camber - front 2.5, rear 2.5
toe angle - front -0.2, rear 0

racing medium tyres of course (always worth checking you have the right boots on)

Thats now every b-spec main event golded except NASCAR, formula GT and the touring car one. I'm not spending money on the touring car until I buy the formula GT - the Lexus will wait for me patiently in the dealership, the formula GT won't. NASCAR can wait until I get the wheel out for the special events

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished the Dream Car Championship in b-spec and got my Citroen GT Race Car :D
Now I'll have to give those Toyota 7 settings a try and see if I can get my driver to win that race as well...

dwebo

gundamkyoukai said:
1 more level before getting to 30, have not played much in last few days.
I am really getting sick of the grinding i have to do now.
Yeah 25 to 30 is stupid long, even in b-spec when you're not even playing. PD knew everybody would want to do the X1 challenge - they should've unlocked it after completing extreme or even just at level 25.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
gutterboy44 said:
Now that I have much more experience with B Spec, I cannot stress this enough.

Massive B-Spec Tip
B spec drivers, even at higher levels will eventually go into a corner too hot or power oversteer on corner exit which leads to speed killing "tank slappers" made even worse when the tires hit the grass. This is exacerbated in powerful FR and MR cars.

To remedy this, equip one grade lower tires on your front. This will dial in understeer. The overall lap performance barely effected but your driver will catch slides in one correction opposed to two or three wobble tank slappers when oversteer happens.

Edit: By one grade lower I mean the next cheapest tire. Not Comfort Soft and Sport Soft. If Sport Soft were the maximum grade tire allowed, equip Sport Medium on the front and Sport Soft on the rear.

Holy shit, I love you. My B-Spec drivers are suddenly killing it on the 'ring. Insane. A+++ advice, would listen again.

Won the WRC C4 tonight from the Soeb Special Events, they were awesome! Very challenging and rewarding, and now I have a WRC C4 fuck yeah! :) Took me a couple of hours to go from -not even Bronze- to Gold with half a second to spare on Eiger (easily the hardest for me).

Also did the Advanced Mercedes event (wet) and got all Silvers. Gold will take forever :|

Melfice7

Cant win the B-spec gran turismo all stars :\ im using a Toyota Minolta.. my driver is godlike but the other cars seem much more powerful -.- Minolta has 1000hp and 850kg O:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This incredibly limited used car selection has reached a level of frustration that I don't even have words for. It's not even language coming out of my mouth at this point, just guttural hisses and mumbling broken up by vaguely distinguishable profanity.

I could fucking punch someone in the face, right now. WHY DOES EVERY CLASSIC CAR HAVE LIKE 45 hp!?

OMG. :lol

dwebo said:
Yeah 25 to 30 is stupid long, even in b-spec when you're not even playing. PD knew everybody would want to do the X1 challenge - they should've unlocked it after completing extreme or even just at level 25.

To tell the truth i am getting piss off allot more at this game now.
It really feels like half a game or something that just was not really .
Give Kaz a PS4 dev kit and tell him make a full GT in the first year of PS4 cause i might sell this soon.

EDIT the only reason i would keep it is to play with GAF guys.

mrklaw said:
oh god finally yes.

B-spec historic cup Cote d'azur gold. Damn.

I think it was partly luck and a little playing with the tuning. Managed to get ahead of the chaparral J which is a bitch on this track on the first lap, and get a couple of cars between me and it. That seemed to give me some breathing space to pick the other cars off. Ended up winning with over 20 seconds to spare.

Such a relief. I was slowly leaning closer and closer to the TV as each lap passed, wincing in case my twatty driver crashed yet again into the corner coming out of the tunnel.

Here are my tuning stats for the Toyota 7, in case they are useful for you:

downforce - front 60, rear 80
transmission - max speed 168
ride height 0,0
spring rate - front 18, rear 20
anti roll - front 7, rear 7

camber - front 2.5, rear 2.5
toe angle - front -0.2, rear 0

racing medium tyres of course (always worth checking you have the right boots on)
I'll give that a blast, but I suspect the key is really more about getting past that asshole J rather than any particular tuning setup.

Edit - Oh, and goddamn at the crashes on that level. You're absolutely right about trying to pass after the tunnel.

Top Bottom