• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

brentech

Hadn't tried Top Gear Samba bus event since my first day when I simply bronzed it. 2 attempts today and golded overtaking for first during the hammerhead of lap 2. Felt pretty good, but those things still suck.

My wifes laughs and thinks it's an awesome event. I hate how slow they are...lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
brentech said:
Hadn't tried Top Gear Samba bus event since my first day when I simply bronzed it. 2 attempts today and golded overtaking for first during the hammerhead of lap 2. Felt pretty good, but those things still suck.

My wifes laughs and thinks it's an awesome event. I hate how slow they are...lol

Now do the Lotus event. ;)

CozMick

Banned
My B-spec driver can't drive for shit,

Pick-up truck challenge on Laguna Seca, in a 600bhp beast.......................10th

What the fuuuu?!?!?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
brentech said:

My little 8 year old cousin came in when I was playing that event and asked if I was playing Little Miss Sunshine. :lol

NeoUltima

Error1355 said:
Which level of NASCAR special events? I assume I'd have to gold it as well, right.

I'm feeling cheap as well.
All of them. All with gold. Luckily, it's not nearly as bad as the other special events. Turn ABS off before each event. Like, its absolutely mandatory to even get a bronze in some of the events.

mrklaw said:
I think it was partly luck and a little playing with the tuning. Managed to get ahead of the chaparral J which is a bitch on this track on the first lap, and get a couple of cars between me and it. That seemed to give me some breathing space to pick the other cars off. Ended up winning with over 20 seconds to spare.

Such a relief. I was slowly leaning closer and closer to the TV as each lap passed, wincing in case my twatty driver crashed yet again into the corner coming out of the tunnel.

Here are my tuning stats for the Toyota 7, in case they are useful for you:

downforce - front 60, rear 80
transmission - max speed 168
ride height 0,0
spring rate - front 18, rear 20
anti roll - front 7, rear 7

camber - front 2.5, rear 2.5
toe angle - front -0.2, rear 0

racing medium tyres of course (always worth checking you have the right boots on)
Well screw me sideways, that worked on the second attempt. Took the notorious J on the last but one lap.

I salute you sir. :D

brentech

chubigans said:
My little 8 year old cousin came in when I was playing that event and asked if I was playing Little Miss Sunshine. :lol
LOL - that's great. Never thought about it looking at them, but now that you mention it....

plainr_

I can't gold the last Nascar event and it's pissing me off. I can gold the TG events with ease but this right here is just ridiculous.

EDIT:

OMFG. The moment I posted this I literally beat the event on the next try. WTF is going on?! :lol :lol :lol :lol

jockamo said:
I can't gold the last Nascar event and it's pissing me off. I can gold the TG events with ease but this right here is just ridiculous.

EDIT:

OMFG. The moment I posted this I literally beat the event on the next try. WTF is going on?! :lol :lol :lol :lol

You were reminded that the car is heavy, that´s what happened.

dwebo

jockamo said:

EDIT:

Yeah, that was a weird one IIRC. For a whole slew of attempts I couldn't even catch up to the main pack of cars until the 2nd lap, and then finally somehow (and not changing any settings) I catch up midway into the first and pass everyone else by early second. No idea. NASCAR is weird.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Gran Turismo TV was updated today if it hasn't been mentioned yet. Two free vids on the 24 hr. endurance run at the Nurb. track.

brentech

LOL, I have a level 0 driver doing his first ever race in the professional series at High Speed Ring and on lap 6 start his strength is almost empty and mental strength at like 1/8....hope he can pull it out.

edit: Somehow he actually pulled off his best lap time by 2 seconds, amazing.

Konosuke

brentech said:
LOL, I have a level 0 driver doing his first ever race in the professional series at High Speed Ring and on lap 6 start his strength is almost empty and mental strength at like 1/8....hope he can pull it out.

edit: Somehow he actually pulled off his best lap time by 2 seconds, amazing.
Doing that is awesome. B.Cannon has 3/3 wins and is already level 8 :D

brentech

Konosuke said:
Doing that is awesome. B.Cannon has 3/3 wins and is already level 8 :D
He was completely empty in both categories like 1/4 way through the last lap, but it didn't visibly make him drive worse or slide more which I expected..and as I said...best lap time.

Ploid 3.0

So how did that one guy get that chrome paint? I'm ready to hunt.

Was there a way found on how it's possible to dupe it? Special car that naturally have metallic paint?

expy

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:

Was there a way found on how it's possible to dupe it? Special car that naturally have metallic paint?
Maybe he found one in the used lot, and obtained it that way, and then you can dupe it by sending it to friends/sending back etc.

Ploid 3.0 said:

According to GTplanet the chrome paint doesn't come with any car, it's just a reward that you get for completing various things in GT Life. A lot of people over there have it though.

Ploid 3.0

The thing I don't like about the paint chip system is that it's hard to really tell what kind of paint a car has just by looking at that little square. I don't remember but can you get a showroom view of cars in the used car section? For paint viewing purposes? I kinda doubt it since they are standard, and I probably would have remembered it better if you could (I'm stuck in a endurance race bspec).

SolidSnakex said:
According to GTplanet the chrome paint doesn't come with any car, it's just a reward that you get for completing various things in GT Life. A lot of people over there have it though.

Oh cool, this is much better. Eventually I should get it. Thanks.

My weird PS3 shutdowns continue. But I know which events trigger it, so I'll just avoid them for now. :( I hope that we can backup saves eventually...

cilonen

CozMick said:

Pick-up truck challenge on Laguna Seca, in a 600bhp beast.......................10th

What the fuuuu?!?!?

I had this exact problem yesterday. I had to max out the tuning only SVT Lightning F150 to 700 bhp and constantly get on his case. Dayton Was worse though; the little git braked hard for every turn, watching the others breeze past him, even when I was on the radio trying to get him to go faster.

Dead Man

CozMick said:

What the fuuuu?!?!?
Yeah, i had that problem, then I took the Ram I won for the IA license and it won with only a few mods, about 400hp. :/

G.Dumas continues to struggle at Tsukuba, driving his Dome Zero in the Japanese Classics race. :\ Flubs it up in either turn 2, 3, or 5. Or if I'm lucky, a combination of all 3.

Ploid 3.0

SolidSnakex said:
Someone can gift a car that has it and you'll get the paint chip.

Oh, I thought people here had problems trying to trade for the paint. Something about putting the paint on a bad throwaway car and getting some normal paint when traded, losing the chrome to the bad car and no duplication.

Lets hunt this chrome down guys, put it on a truck for bonus points :lol

abuC

I enter drift rooms, and break out my turbo Fiat 500, usually I hear people laughing when they see it. Then, they are surprised to see me actually getting it to drift :lol

TTG

Trying to pass the time grinding to level 30 on B-spec. :lol

5248028505_40846e0096_b.jpg

I played B-Spec for the first time today. Ugh. I hope it gets better because right now this sucks. The guy can't drive for shit and loses even though he has by far the fastest car. Please tell me it gets better.

TTG

Konosuke said:
Grind 5 extra levels to win a free X1, according to a guy on GTPlanet.

This is boring enough, I'll try to win one by beating the challenge.

5248034601_067c5d4fe7_b.jpg

WROOOM

Bought a Mclaren F1, Enzo and Ford GT so far. f430 challenge and Viper ACR next.

What's the best premium Le Mans Prototype in the game? Is the Mazda faster than the diesel stuff?

EDIT:

ghostofsparta said:
I played B-Spec for the first time today. Ugh. I hope it gets better because right now this sucks. The guy can't drive for shit and loses even though he has by far the fastest car. Please tell me it gets better.

Nope.

expy

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
Oh, I thought people here had problems trying to trade for the paint. Something about putting the paint on a bad throwaway car and getting some normal paint when traded, losing the chrome to the bad car and no duplication.

Lets hunt this chrome down guys, put it on a truck for bonus points :lol
I actually have one Silver Chrome paint... Wonder which car it's from... :lol

ghostofsparta said:

It'll get much better. Once you get to about level 10 you'll unlock some good b-spec grinding races. And once you get a really nice car (ZR-1 RM works great), it'll be like money in the bank.

dwebo

Hmm, is there no way to set time / weather for the tracks that support it in arcade? I hadn't really used that mode at all until tonight, when I was in the mood to try out the Nurburgring at night. All I get is rain / not night and no menus to choose otherwise :(
edit: well it's evening, but I was hoping for pitch black and definitely no rain :lol

SolidSnakex said:
Has anyone unlocked the wind tunnel for the photomode yet? Apex shows it as a location so it's got to be in there somewhere.
Maybe for getting a certain medal level in the X1 challenges? A wind tunnel shows up in the movie for that, so that's what I would guess.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the_log_ride said:
My weird PS3 shutdowns continue. But I know which events trigger it, so I'll just avoid them for now. :( I hope that we can backup saves eventually...

you can backup everything including the save, just not the save on its own. If its that important to you, do a full backup. Probably worth it anyway if you're PS3 is getting flaky

mrklaw

MrArseFace
weekend_warrior said:
It'll get much better. Once you get to about level 10 you'll unlock some good b-spec grinding races. And once you get a really nice car (ZR-1 RM works great), it'll be like money in the bank.

except the historic cup. And like the wind unless you already won that in a-spec. and GT all stars. All others are fairly straightforward.

TTG said:
Trying to pass the time grinding to level 30 on B-spec. :lol

Whats the problem with grinding after level 24/25 (nearly there now)? Does anyone have a list of xp needed? I thought you open up endurance races which give you massive xp? Or is that countered by the massiver xp needed to level up?

and are the endurance races 'hands on' or can I do something else while they play out?

Piggus

Just started B-Spec and it's actually pretty cool. I wasn't sure if I would like it.

D. Whang shall rise to the challenge.

plainr_

Decarb said:
Am I the only one whose B-spec level is much higher that A-spec? :lol

http://i.imgur.com/yIo02.jpg

How the hell do you guys do it? B-Spec is 2x longer than A-Spec races. Most races average 11+ minutes to finish on the higher levels. They also race on shittier tires. You guys must have your PS3's on all day. Sure you can leave your driver unattended during the race with an overpowered car but it's not like you can completely leave your PS3 alone. I'm on level 13 for B-Spec and it felt like forever trying to get there. :lol

Angst

mrklaw said:
you can backup everything including the save, just not the save on its own. If its that important to you, do a full backup. Probably worth it anyway if you're PS3 is getting flaky
Unfortunately it can only be restored on the same PS3. So if the PS3 dies it's not much use.
dwebo said:
Hmm, is there no way to set time / weather for the tracks that support it in arcade? I hadn't really used that mode at all until tonight, when I was in the mood to try out the Nurburgring at night. All I get is rain / not night and no menus to choose otherwise :(
edit: well it's evening, but I was hoping for pitch black and definitely no rain :lol

Maybe for getting a certain medal level in the X1 challenges? A wind tunnel shows up in the movie for that, so that's what I would guess.
You can set the exact time if you're online in your lounge. Don't think you can do it in Arcade or practice unfortunately.

Steroyd

mrklaw said:
Whats the problem with grinding after level 24/25 (nearly there now)? Does anyone have a list of xp needed? I thought you open up endurance races which give you massive xp? Or is that countered by the massiver xp needed to level up?

and are the endurance races 'hands on' or can I do something else while they play out?

It's countered by the huge amount of XP needed to level up, I had to do the first endurance race about 4 times to level up to lvl 26, and each race gave me 65k xp.

Am I the only one whose B-spec level is much higher that A-spec?

I do that to, thankfully I have a PSP and some videos to watch while my PS3 is on. :D

On the topic of B-Spec the roadster challenge is awful, for starts i never thought that the Mazda Eunos roadster the very first car I bought would be the only car I had that was required to race and to top it off, despite being in the much faster car, my driver slows the fuck down when in front my car is faster than the others but not that much faster and I only have 1 driver out of the 4 that can last as long as the other drivers, so I have to sit there telling him to speed up every lap, isn't there a way to tell my driver to maintain a certain pace throughout the race? This is where B-spec sucks compared to GT4. :<

Top Bottom