• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

paskowitz

Well we now know why the R15 was not included... because well it has been rendered useless by this... :D

audi_r18_proto_02.jpg

audi_r18_proto_07_02.jpg

audi_r18_proto_06.jpg

Darth_Vader_by_gattadonna.jpg

UFRA

I'm no master of aerodynamics, but is there a name for that big "fin?" that runs down the middle of the car from the roof to the spoiler?

I notice the F1 2010 cars have this too, and it really makes them ugly. I don't like it. Damn humans for trying to improve things! :p

paskowitz

The real question is, can it go from Ingolstadt to Le Mans on one tank? (Top Gear reference :D )

UFRA said:
I'm no master of aerodynamics, but is there a name for that big "fin?" that runs down the middle of the car from the roof to the spoiler?

I notice the F1 2010 cars have this too, and it really makes them ugly. I don't like it. Damn humans for trying to improve things! :p

I think it is called a shark fin. There probably is no "official name for it".

Bobo

Today was a good day... Ford RS200, two... yes two 22-B Impreza and the Formula GT all bought from the used dealer. :D I now only have about 20,000 credits though. :(

Leunam

UFRA said:

Some do some don't. The ones that do have it usually have a way of channeling air to the rear wing to stall it so they can get a good boost on straights.

Yoritomo

UFRA said:

The f-duct needs a channel to run in.

UFRA said:

800px-1955_Jaguar_XKD_rear_34.jpg

Damn them indeed

I let my b-spec driver drive the DN-X Concept in the Sunday cup and he's whopping ass, finally. This is kind of cool all of a sudden, I just get to chill on the internet while my guy wins me money :D

darkwing

ghostofsparta said:
I let my b-spec driver drive the DN-X Concept in the Sunday cup and he's whopping ass, finally. This is kind of cool all of a sudden, I just get to chill on the internet while my guy wins me money :D

welcome to the slackers club :D

UFRA said:

Called a shark fin, most teams run it and decide to include it in their aero-packages on a track-by-track basis. This season it also had the F-Duct built into it which added to it's importance for the teams running the F-Duct(Ferrari, McLaren, Renault etc.)

ashk

UFRA said:

The shark fin has been made mandatory for next year's Le Mans so all the LP1 and LP2 cars will have it. It's purpose is to prevent the car from flipping over in case of a high-speed spin.

UFRA

anonnumber6 said:
Called a shark fin, most teams run it and decide to include it in their aero-packages on a track-by-track basis. This season it also had the F-Duct built into it which added to it's importance for the teams running the F-Duct(Ferrari, McLaren, Renault etc.)

Hmm interesting, now it's off to wikipedia for me to learn about F-Ducts and shark fins.

UFRA said:
Hmm interesting, now it's off to wikipedia for me to learn about F-Ducts and shark fins.

F-Ducts have been an interesting development this season but they are banned for next year, instead adjustable rear wings will be allowed to improve overtaking.

Akuun said:
I haven't race modded anything yet. Not enough money. :lol

You better have more credits than just the amount needed to race mod as doing that doesn't max out the HP for your car. It's just for putting on race kits. The ZR1 that I have probably cost me over 700k credits when taking into account the price of the car, the price of the race mod and the additional performance improvements needed to max out its HP. It was worth it though as the car is a beast.

darkwing

SolidSnakex said:
You better have more credits than just the amount needed to race mod as doing that doesn't max out the HP for your car. It's just for putting on race kits. The ZR1 that I have probably cost me over 700k credits when taking into account the price of the car, the price of the race mod and the additional performance improvements needed to max out its HP. It was worth it though as the car is a beast.

yup, i just race modded my ZR1, its a beast!!!!

anddo0

I just unleashed the beast known as the Zonda R on those b-sec bitches! My B-spec driver is actually lapping people now. This mode just became a whole lot easier. It should have been the main prize for A-spec.

brotkasten said:
Hey, that lvl12 ticket gave me something useful! An Audi R8 R5.2! :D

Whenever I click on a Level ticket I always sit there hoping that the music that plays for premium cars starts up. So far i've won a premium car for every ticket that i've received. Hopefully that keeps up.

UFRA

brotkasten said:
Hey, that lvl12 ticket gave me something useful! An Audi R8 R5.2! :D

I got a Ferrari SP1 with that ticket. :D

SolidSnakex said:
Whenever I click on a Level ticket I always sit there hoping that the music that plays for premium cars starts up. So far i've won a premium car for every ticket that i've received. Hopefully that keeps up.

:lol Same here. I look away from the screen and just sit there thinking of how the premium car music goes and hope that's what I hear.

Goldrusher

Ey0Qm.jpg

Surprisingly fun car.

And the suspension is a work of art, be sure to take it to the 'Ring once you win it (American Championship in A-spec).

darkwing

SolidSnakex said:

and i've got a standard one all the time :(

brentech

I've been letting my B-Spec drivers go at it today, but now that I've finished most the stuff I needed done around the house, I'm going to start hitting a-spec up again shortly. Never thought I could be so excited to drive a fake car.

expy

Banned
Goldrusher said:
Surprisingly fun car.

And the suspension is a work of art, be sure to take it to the 'Ring once you win it (American Championship in A-spec).
Oh Jay Leno!

brentech said:
I've been letting my B-Spec drivers go at it today, but now that I've finished most the stuff I needed done around the house, I'm going to start hitting a-spec up again shortly. Never thought I could be so excited to drive a fake car.

For some of these cars, it'll be the closest we can get to driving em!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just run three 300km endurance races back to back. With the furai, 2nd place is minimum 3 laps down by the end, so it requires no effort, just 2 and a bit hours listening to the PS3 huffing away. If I treat it like folding at home then it's not too bad.

SolidSnakex said:

I'm gonna sound real dumb for asking this, but what are these level tickets you guys are talking about? The ones that you get after winning a series, right?

NHale

I tried to get a "decent" name to my first 2 B-spec drivers but now at the first try I got a F.Alonso.

So I'm guessing this unlocks exclusive B-spec team orders. "P.Kinnunen, F.Alonso is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?"

darkwing

the_log_ride said:
I'm gonna sound real dumb for asking this, but what are these level tickets you guys are talking about? The ones that you get after winning a series, right?

not just a series, like all Amateur events, lvl of the car prize increases at each series

brentech

expy said:
For some of these cars, it'll be the closest we can get to driving em!
Yeah, a big part of the equation.

The tracks are also pretty amazing (lack of textures or not). Maybe one day I can convince the wife of a road trip for an open track day at one of the real world ones.

dwebo

mrklaw said:
Just run three 300km endurance races back to back. With the furai, 2nd place is minimum 3 laps down by the end, so it requires no effort, just 2 and a bit hours listening to the PS3 huffing away. If I treat it like folding at home then it's not too bad.
I wouldn't mind some sort of lo-fi graphics (or no graphics) option for b-spec. At least with folding the ps3 is doing something useful. Think of all that ps3 processing power around the world simulating b-spec races with no one watching. :lol

brentech

darkwing said:
not just a series, like all Amateur events, lvl of the car prize increases at each series
You think they're random entirely to the level of car, or there's a select few it randoms between? Kind of been wonderin'

darkwing

brentech said:
You think they're random entirely to the level of car, or there's a select few it randoms between? Kind of been wonderin'

its like you get a lvl 7 car ticket, so you get a random lvl 7 car

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
ashk said:
The shark fin has been made mandatory for next year's Le Mans so all the LP1 and LP2 cars will have it.

vader_NNNNOOOooooo.tiff

OMG... beat that Like the Wind Indy race by .012 seconds. Had 2 guys on each side about to pass and a guy behind nudging my tail. My hands are shaking right now.

Top Bottom