• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

TTG

Lion Heart said:
Definitely INTERESTED. But I'd rather it be Eiger short or something, not a huge fan of Tsuckaba :p

Terrible idea. :lol I nominate Suzuka, Grand Valley or Laguna Seca... or Tsukuba.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I posted this in the photo thread, but thought it was worth posting here too:

Dear Polyphony,

You

121110GT1.jpg

Guys

121110GT2.jpg

Are

121110GT3.jpg

Ba-

121110GT4.jpg

-nanas.

121110GT5.jpg

BANANAS.

121110GT6.jpg

The love and care that have gone into these cars are just absolutely amazing. I don't think I've ever seen such passion in a mainstream video game before. I mean, they even did the imprints of the horn on the wheel. The stitching on the inside of the wheel. The different illumination colors on the dash. Who does that stuff?

This game is mind blowing.

Mush

Thunderbear said:
The popularity of this thread and how quickly it hit 20,000 to me means the reviewers were off. If there's this much passion even after people have bought the game, reviewers are out of sync with their audience (whom they are supposed to reflect).

Yeah it has its faults, but man does it have content and awesomeness to push it across that 9 bar.

Anyway, that's how I see it.
It all comes to down to the passion of PD and the fanbase. The thread title couldn't happen been more fitting; we truly love cars.

Mush said:
The reason for Tsukuba is becuase:

1. It's awesome.
2. Exists in real life.
3. Used as the battleground for annual Time Attack events.
4. http://i.imgur.com/K356T.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Beat me to it. Tsukuba or bust.

[QUOTE=chubigans]I posted this in the photo thread, but thought it was worth posting here too:[/QUOTE]

Great shots, chubigans!

dwebo

Ugh. Add damage and course settings to single player soon please, PD. Sarthe at night is absolutely gorgeous. Let me race on that more easily.

Somewhat related - is there a way to make an online room private?

edit: @ Mush - cheers!

Beaten Dream car on B-spec today and glad I didn't buy that prize car. I don't see how it's worth 5 mill. It's nice to have and looks awesome though. All that is left for me is Formula, Nascar, and Gt Tour on extreme.

I'll leave those for now. I want to buy and fix up some cars.

jey_16

Banned
Holy crap, I just got the s-licence and to celebrate, I bought the z06....race modified it and bought a ton of parts. I think I spent 400k+ in total. It better be worth it.....

M.Bluth

What should I use in the Historic Racing Car Cup in B-Spec?

the Shelby is useless, and I thought I would be able to use the Jaguar I won from Facebook, but alas, I cannot :/

Fucking Toyota 7 Race Car...

Crakatak187 said:
You can grind it if you want.
Is there a better way? Need creds and I like that race; for some reason it doesn't frustrate me as much as the other races. It's as if the AI is better and the combination car and track are spot on.
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
M.Bluth said:

the Shelby is useless, and I thought I would be able to use the Jaguar I won from Facebook, but alas, I cannot :/

Toyota or bust. Even then it needed some tweaks to beat Mona..Cote d'azur

edit: quick copy/paste of my Toyota 7 tunings that helped me win at Cote d'azur

downforce - front 60, rear 80
transmission - max speed 168
ride height 0,0
spring rate - front 18, rear 20
anti roll - front 7, rear 7
camber - front 2.5, rear 2.5
toe angle - front -0.2, rear 0

racing medium tyres of course (always worth checking you have the right boots on)

as for Mush's time trial, I like the general conceit, but not the unlimited garage. Mods are fixed price, so an engine mod on a Mclaren F1 costs the same as on a Cappucino but with very different results.

Either have a HP cap, or perhaps a class cap (no cars higher than class 10/15/20). Do we already have a stock time attack competition? That'd be a simpler test of skill rather than knowledge of the best mods, especially as it'd mean you can't easily tune stuff up (eg you could buy a custom suspension setup and change the geometry a lot).

And can we have a simpler method of entering times? Can we just send in a photo of the screen or something?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Finished watching those 2 long (and free) GT TV video's, on Kaz and the 24h Nurburgring Race. Really enjoyed it!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
evil_as_skeletor said:
Is there a better way? Need creds and I like that race; for some reason it doesn't frustrate me as much as the other races. It's as if the AI is better and the combination car and track are spot on.
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

if its pure credits, what level events have you unlocked? Have a look at special events - if you haven't already golded some, they probably pay out more credits than middle-tier races.

Mush

mrklaw said:
as for Mush's time trial, I like the general conceit, but not the unlimited garage. Mods are fixed price, so an engine mod on a Mclaren F1 costs the same as on a Cappucino but with very different results.

Either have a HP cap, or perhaps a class cap (no cars higher than class 10/15/20). Do we already have a stock time attack competition? That'd be a simpler test of skill rather than knowledge of the best mods, especially as it'd mean you can't easily tune stuff up (eg you could buy a custom suspension setup and change the geometry a lot).

And can we have a simpler method of entering times? Can we just send in a photo of the screen or something?
No no no. What I mean is that you buy a car from scratch, and modify it, all in that $100,000 budget. You can not use any pre-existing cars you may have. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

M.Bluth said:

I went- A-spec Like the Wind, win Minolta Race car > B-spec Like the Wind, win Toyota 7 race car > Historic Cup

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mush said:
No no no. What I mean is that you buy a car from scratch, and modify it, all in that $100,000 budget. You can not use any pre-existing cars you may have. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

ah, cool. So I could spunk all my money on a stock but more powerful car, or massively tune a PoS. Nice

weekend_warrior said:
I went- A-spec Like the Wind, win Minolta Race car > B-spec Like the Wind, win Toyota 7 race car > Historic Cup

Similar, although I borrowed a Minolta (which is also brilliant at the GT all stars and Dream championship)

mrklaw said:
if its pure credits, what level events have you unlocked? Have a look at special events - if you haven't already golded some, they probably pay out more credits than middle-tier races.
Thanks mate, trying to do specials but the shit rally event on the fucken stupid eider rally track is doing my head in. I hate the "beat the time" specials, I much prefer racing.

I am only lvl16...

UFRA

I like the idea of a time trial challenge, but I would be concerned about participation. We're nearing the half-way point of December and only 5 people participated in the Reasonably Priced Car challenge. I don't know if that's an indicator of GAF's interest in time trials, or if GAF just doesn't like slow cars or something. I suppose it could also be that the game is still quite new - people are still exploring it and aren't ready to be competitive yet maybe?

I wish more of you would do the RPC challenge. :( It's only a $15,000 car you people. :p

Mush

UFRA said:
I wish more of you would do the RPC challenge. :( It's only a $15,000 car you people. :p
No offence to MM, but other than a few pre-release posts, there's been little coverage of it in this thread. I would venture a guess that most people don't know about the other GT5 threads that go on in the Community forum.

I reckon he needs to plug it a little more. :p

lucius

I got the Ridgit Flip Top Support from Home depot for $30 and it works great for me, so much better than the wood TV tray I was using. I was about to spend $150 on a stand but glad I decided to give it a shot.

TTG

Got to watch the pit crews at work in chase cam. Switched to a different car in B-spec mode when everone(but my car obviously :lol ) had to switch from rain back onto dry tires. Cockpit view is not allowed for some reason, so you can watch everything the pit crew does. It's actually modeled well for something you normally only see through a windshield and a rear view mirror.

Something hilarious about Dream Car cup in B-spec. 3 Races in a row I had all 11 opponents pit in after the first lap resulting in an automatic win for me. It seems like they don't automatically switch tires after a match. It happened when I played a rainy track and switching back to a regular track.

edbrat

Mush said:
It all comes to down to the passion of PD and the fanbase. The thread title couldn't happen been more fitting; we truly love cars.

weirdly enough i am pretty indifferent to cars IRL and I don't even like racing sims as a genre generally speaking (way prefer dumber arcadey racing), but I absolutely love GT5. The progression is so well done and the breadth and depth of what you can do is insane. I will never get all golds on any license or come first in half the challenges but the difficulty is pitched just right so i can still progress, i appreciate that a lot.

speaking of which i have the whole of today free and will shortly be taking to the track, good times :D

edbrat said:
weirdly enough i am pretty indifferent to cars IRL and I don't even like racing sims as a genre generally speaking (way prefer dumber arcadey racing), but I absolutely love GT5. The progression is so well done and the breadth and depth of what you can do is insane. I will never get all golds on any license or come first in half the challenges but the difficulty is pitched just right so i can still progress, i appreciate that a lot.

speaking of which i have the whole of today free and will shortly be taking to the track, good times :D

You gone done stole mah post!

Pterion

Loeb challenges are annoying me to no end. Despite having all 60 gold licenses without much fuss, I am having some serious trouble with these ones + grand tour 1st race on Eiger or whatever that track is called.

*rage*

Pterion said:
Loeb challenges are annoying me to no end. Despite having all 60 gold licenses without much fuss, I am having some serious trouble with these ones + grand tour 1st race on Eiger or whatever that track is called.

*rage*

Just adjust the 4wd balance to 50/50.

TTG

Pterion said:

*rage*

I got a silver on toscana. Tried the snow thing, made it around and was like 6 seconds off bronze... fuck that :lol Only challenge thing that I haven't gotten at least a silver in.

Mush

YOU SIR, WOULD YOU LIKE TO DRIVE ONE OF THESE FINE AUTO MOBILES?

WELL GEE THAT SOUNDS SWELL MUSH. HOW DO I DRIVE CAR?

CLICK THE PICTURE AND YOUR WILDEST DREAMS WILL BE REALISED

TTG

Cerbera Speed 12 just appeared in my used car garage, first real used car purchase of the game comes as I've completed all but 1 race thing. stock stats: 799hp, 1020kg.... oooo shiiiit.

EDIT: tuned to 1027hp but can't decrease the weight!

edbrat said:
says the GT server is undergoing maintenance, what difference does this make if i play A-Spec without it?

None, but I can't unshare some cars that I wanted to use now :lol Guess I'll do the supercar events later.

Mush

Metalmurphy said:
None, but I can't unshare some cars that I wanted to use now :lol Guess I'll do the supercar events later.
Same here. But at least it gave me a chance to let S. Vettel use the Zonda R for the first time. :D

So GAF, after checking these GT-threads I caved in...

I bought a Driving Force GT with GT5 and hooked it up. I'm not all into racing games (mostly

arcade like stuff, i.e. GRID, Burnout, NFS and the likes), but I do love cars. I'm still getting

used to the wheel but holy hell does it feel amazing.

Most games nowadays are fast burners, ranging from a 1-2 month period in which it will be

played extensively and then forgotten or put away. I was looking for a slow burning game to

accompany me through the hectic release year of 2011, something relaxing to fall back to.

I think I've found my match..... :D

Happy racing everybody !

Top Bottom